Robert Hill / Stouton ancestor to Percival Lowle

J Cook

Aug 29, 2012, 9:34:09 AM8/29/12
Does anyone have a valid line of descent from King Henry I of England
to Robert Hill who married Alice Stourton who were ancestors of
colonial immigrant Percival Lowle? Perhaps through the Champernouns?

1. Robert Hill m. Alice Stourton
2. Robert Hill
3. Margaret Champernoun
6. Richard Champernoun
7. Katherine Daubeney
12. Thomas Champernoun
13. Eleanor Rohaut
14. Giles Daubeney
15. Eleanor de Willington
26. Roger Rohaut
?...

Douglas Richardson

Aug 29, 2012, 12:29:46 PM8/29/12
Dear Joe ~

Robert Hill has at least three proven descents from King William the Conqueror.

I'm sending you by private e-mail a copy of my current Hill account taken from the manuscript of my forthcoming new book, Royal Ancestry. Royal Ancestry is scheduled for publication later this year.

smith....@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2012, 4:13:03 PM8/29/12
Is there documentation that the Robert Hill who married Alice Stourton was the son of Robert Hill and Margaret Champernoun?

The visitations of Cornwall: comprising the Heralds' visitations of 1530 ..., John Lambrick Vivian, College of Arms (Great Britain), p 227 shows his father as Ralph Hill son of John Hill of Spraxton and Maud Daubeney and the heraldic evidence there seems to support this.

Doug Smith

J Cook

Aug 29, 2012, 5:04:37 PM8/29/12
On Aug 29, 4:13 pm, smith.doug...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there documentation that the Robert Hill who married Alice Stourton was the son of Robert Hill and Margaret Champernoun?
>
> The visitations of Cornwall: comprising the Heralds' visitations of 1530 ..., John Lambrick Vivian, College of Arms (Great Britain), p 227 shows his father as Ralph Hill son of John Hill of Spraxton and Maud Daubeney and the heraldic evidence there seems to support this.

Thank you kindly.

Wjhonson

Aug 31, 2012, 1:05:41 AM8/31/12
to smith....@gmail.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
At any rate, this tree as it is anyway, is all messed up.
the message

Leslie Mahler

Sep 29, 2021, 3:39:08 AM9/29/21
Alice Stourton also has this line of descendants, through her
husband William Daubeney:

from The Genealogical Magazine, vol. 7-8 (1904):

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Genealogical_Magazine/2A5BAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%20daubeney%2022%20may%201558

WILLIAM DAUBENEY, died 2 Jan. 1460/1, married to Alice Stourton.

JAMES DAUBENEY married to Elizabeth Pauncefote

GILES DAUBENEY, died 22 May 1558/9. By his second wife - Coles, he had:

JOHN DAUBENEY, will dated 1 Aug. 1570, married to Alice, daughter of Giles Penny.

GEORGE DAUBENEY, born 1559, died 6 Sept. 1612, bur. at Litton Cheney. He was married to
Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Coker of Mapowder, Dorset. She was bur.at Litton Cheney, 23 July 1639.

The following five generations are taken from Notes & Queries for Somerset and Dorset, Volume 9:
https://archive.org/details/notesqueriesfor08unkngoog/page/n292/mode/2up
Much of this lineage was also published here:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Illustrated_History_of_Our_Family/vNbZkwZ-J9cC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=giles+daubeney+misterton&pg=PA53&printsec=frontcover
Most of the parish register entries are indexed on Findmypast, but not on Familysearch.org.

HENRY DAUBENEY of Litton Cheney, died 1654, will dated 23 Dec. 1654. He was married to
Edith Symonds.

GILES DAUBENEY, bp. at Litton Cheney, 10 Dec. 1629, later of Misterton, will proved 14 June 1689.
He was married to Magdalen, daughter of Marks Wicks. There is a pedigree of this family recorded
in the 1672 Visitation of Somerset and Bristol:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitation_of_Somerset_and_the_City/-KccAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=dawbeney+misterton&dq=dawbeney+misterton&printsec=frontcover
There are also pedigrees of the Daubeney family here:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/1df2d22e-e922-43ae-bdb3-f19bf593866f

HENRY DAUBENEY, was married in 1689 to Mary, daughter of Anthony Penn(y).
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/d88a949c-316b-4ae6-a389-b025485598ad
In his will dated 3 May 1699 he gave property in Misterton to son George, and also mentions
underage children Henry, Giles, and Jane. His widow Mary was involved in a lawsuit, in the
period from 1706-1711, which may give details of her relatives:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5280901
The will of Mary (Penn) Daubeney is apparently in this collection:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/a61b8b1b-c457-4e1a-a6a0-8a79598c432e

GEORGE DAUBENEY m. Ann (-).

GEORGE DAUBENEY, bp. at Misterton, 25 April 1725; he is probably the George Daubeney who m.
at Whitestaunton, Somerset, 23 Aug. 1748 to Elizabeth Stukeley.

GILES DAUBENEY, bp. at Misterton, 26 Aug. 1749; m. at Misterton, 14 Oct. 1770 to Sarah Gillingham.
She appears to have died within a few years, as he married at Misterton, 1 April 1777 to Sarah Gillingham (probably a relative of his wife)
A memorial inscription (available on Findmypast.com) states that he died 17 June 1794, age 48.
(There was a Giles Daubeney bur. at Misterton 27 July 1750, but this person was an adult, who left a will:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSFX-73T6-M?i=297&cat=326350)

MARY DAUBENEY, bp. at Misterton, March 1789; m. at Chedington, Dorset, 6 Feb. 1809 to Edward Gollop of Beaminster: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJD4-L3W2
The family of Edward Gollop was recorded in the 1841 Census, at Horton, by Wimborne, Dorset:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQYW-2YZ
He was born ca. 1790, with Mary, born ca. 1790, Joseph (age 20), Elizabeth (age 19) and Henry
(age 11).
Edward was a dairyman, born at "Timsbury" (should be Simsbury) ca. 1790, with wife Mary,
born at Misterton, Somerset in 1789, and their son Joseph, born at Wimborne in 1821,
in the 1851 census:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG1N-4BW
Edward was recorded in the 1861 census with wife Mary, his birth place given as Chideock,
a parish adjacent to Simondsbury:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7LM-38F

HENRY GOLLOP, bp. 1829 at Hinton Parva, Dorset. He married 30 Jan. 1851 to
Anne Jane Wareham. The original record states that his father was Edward, a dairyman:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VCRH-QGP
In 1851, Henry was living in Horton, Dorset with his wife and her grandmother:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG2J-6DT
In 1861, Henry was a dairyman living at Woodlands with his family:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M72B-C84
(Henry should not be confused with the person of that name, bp. at Wimborne, 21 Oct. 1829,
son of Joseph & Anne: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NR2Y-1GQ)

HENRY JOSEPH GOLLOP (surname later changed to MAY), born 18 Jan. 1861 at Horton Woodlands
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NB2B-QQV
In 1871, he was living at Bournemouth, Hampshire, with his mother Ann, siblings Mary, Anna,
Bessy & James, and his mother's mother Sarah Wareham, who was 75, born at Horton, Dorset:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFXJ-67C
Henry m. 29 March 1894 Charlotte Katie Hirst: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G77T-PSL
see also: http://martinhughesfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2012/01/letter-to-my-grandchildren.html

HAROLD MAY, b. 1895 at Betchworth, Surrey; m. 15 Jan. 1918 to Louisa Emma Barrett.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G77T-PJG

HAROLD MAY, 1921-1987, m. Ruth Irving Fletcher
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G77T-NDR

Harold and Ruth were the parents of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May
https://ethnicelebs.com/brian-may

There is one descent from Edward III, and several descents from Edward I,
through John Poyntz and Elizabeth Sydenham:
https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00089532&tree=LEO

An outline of the following Penne family was published in Notes and Queries for Somerset and Dorset, Vol. 10:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b755589&view=1up&seq=24&skin=2021
There is also a pedigree of the family in the 1677 Visitation of Dorset:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitation_of_Dorset_1677/eGBmAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=Penne

John Poyntz & Elizabeth Sydenham had a daughter
DOROTHY POYNTZ m. 14 April 1600 to John Penne of East Coker.
from Historical and Genealogical Memoir of the Family of Poyntz:
https://archive.org/details/historicalgeneal01macl/page/96/mode/2up

GEORGE PENNE, born 1606, d. 1695, m. ca. 1628 to Jane, daughter of
Edmund Perkins of Ufton, Berkshire.

ANTHONY PENNE, born ca. 1630, m. ca. 1652 to Dorothy Lone.

MARY PENNE, m. to Henry Daubeney of Misterton.

Leslie