Hinton of Shropshire

J. Sardina

Dec 27, 2020, 9:39:09 PM12/27/20
Hello,

While searching about certain families of Shropshire from the 16th century, in the published visitation of 1623, we can find a tree of a few generations of the Hinton family, starting with sir Griffith de Hinton and his wife Maud, no surname given.

Has anybody come across verifiable information about sir Griffith? According to

"Ancestors and Descendants of James Harley Hinton and Martha Alice Adams Including Some Related Families" by Herbert Lee Hinton · 1979

on p. 115, the author claims that

Griffith was a grandson of Thomas de Hynton de Salop, groom of the Privy Chamber of king Edward III, who was granted 5 marks yearly on 23 March of 1373

Also that Griffith was squire of the body of Gilbert, 5th lord Talbot, and that was present at the coronation of king Henry V at Agincourt, and was knighted there.

I have seen online website that give the surname of Maud as "of Canterbury," but with no parents shown.

Besides Thomas Hinton, married to Elizabeth Tatton, of Withenshawe, no other siblings are given in the second generation in the visitation. Likewise, in the next generation, the visitation shows only one son, another Griffith, married Margaret Dod, of Cloverley.

Were there other branches of this family in Cheshire in the 16th century?

J. Sardina

Vance Mead

Dec 28, 2020, 2:09:44 AM12/28/20
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H8/CP40no1068/aCP40no1068fronts/IMG_0334.htm

This is a case in Common Pleas, 1531, for Common Recovery of land in Buntingsdale and elsewhere in Salop.

Salop. Gruffith Hynton, esq, Richard Lyttleton, John Congreve, William Wilbram, clerk, versus George, Earl of Shrewsbury, Roger Hyll, for the manor of Buntyngsdale, 13 messuages, 600 acres arable, 200 acres meadow, 50 acres pasture, 200 acres wood, 2000 acres heath in Buntyngsdale, Longeslowe and Stoke Hadnet.

J. Sardina

Dec 28, 2020, 1:37:53 PM12/28/20
On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 2:09:44 AM UTC-5, vance...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H8/CP40no1068/aCP40no1068fronts/IMG_0334.htm
>
> This is a case in Common Pleas, 1531, for Common Recovery of land in Buntingsdale and elsewhere in Salop.

Thanks for the information. I will look it up. One issue with the visitations, is the lack of dates. We get names, places, related individuals in the charts, but certainly not enough in some generations.

J. Sardina

Vance Mead

Dec 28, 2020, 1:50:24 PM12/28/20
In the Medieval Soldier database, there are several people named Hynton, Hinton and Henton, but none of them with the first name Griffith.

http://www.medievalsoldier.org

wjhonson

Dec 28, 2020, 2:58:41 PM12/28/20
We see that one of his co-heiresses Agnes married Thomas Cludde of Orleton
And we do have their contract of marriage extant, dated 1538

So that adds one date

J. Sardina

Dec 28, 2020, 6:08:44 PM12/28/20
Great.

The visitation does show s such a marriage though it calls her Anna.

Apparently there were several daughters of Griffith Hinton and Margareta Dod, again according to the visitation.
I have seen a date of 1537 given to the marriage of another, Elizabeth, said to have married Thomas Newton of Heighley,

The grandfather of this Griffith is the one what would have been present at Agincourt. The visitation calls him sir Griffith de Hinton.

Juan

J. Sardina

Dec 28, 2020, 6:10:19 PM12/28/20
On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 1:50:24 PM UTC-5, vance...@yahoo.com wrote:
> In the Medieval Soldier database, there are several people named Hynton, Hinton and Henton, but none of them with the first name Griffith.
>

> http://www.medievalsoldier.org

Thanks

I been looking around databases online and haven't found him.
I am also not sure if those are unrelated families.

J. Sardina

Vance Mead

Dec 29, 2020, 12:50:43 AM12/29/20
If he had been knighted at Agincourt, he would probably be in the Medieval Soldiers database.
Vance