Thomas Stradling

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Jun 9, 2020, 6:28:09 PM6/9/20
This question is beyond the chronological limits of this newsgroup but I don't think there is anywhere else I could ask this question. The real story in which Robinson Cruse was based involved a Lieutenant Captain Thomas Stradling, read https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-real-robinson-crusoe-74877644/. Could he have been the same man as the namesake son of Edward Stradling, 4th Baronet of St Donat's Castle, who died at sea?

joe...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2020, 11:49:25 PM6/9/20
On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 6:28:09 PM UTC-4, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> This question is beyond the chronological limits of this newsgroup but I don't think there is anywhere else I could ask this question. The real story in which Robinson Cruse was based involved a Lieutenant Captain Thomas Stradling, read https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-real-robinson-crusoe-74877644/. Could he have been the same man as the namesake son of Edward Stradling, 4th Baronet of St Donat's Castle, who died at sea?

I don't know the answer to your question, but you can check out our sister group alt.genealogy or the many (many many many) specialized genealogy groups on facebook.com if you are looking for expertise in other areas.

--Joe C

John Higgins

Jun 10, 2020, 5:02:19 PM6/10/20
On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 3:28:09 PM UTC-7, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> This question is beyond the chronological limits of this newsgroup but I don't think there is anywhere else I could ask this question. The real story in which Robinson Cruse was based involved a Lieutenant Captain Thomas Stradling, read https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-real-robinson-crusoe-74877644/. Could he have been the same man as the namesake son of Edward Stradling, 4th Baronet of St Donat's Castle, who died at sea?

Here's a idea for you, Paulo: Ask John Schmeeckle to initiate a conversation with Daniel Defoe. Maybe Defoe himself can tell us if your Thomas Stradling was the inspiration for his character of the same name. :-)

wjhonson

Jun 10, 2020, 5:55:01 PM6/10/20
I think we should at least point out, in case any Stradling try to claim this supposed connection, that the Stradling baronets *died out* and therefore there are no male Stradlings who came from this family, even if this is the same person called "aged 21" when the ship put the Captain out.

Jim Stradling

Jan 18, 2021, 1:43:42 PM1/18/21
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 5:55:01 PM UTC-4, wjhonson wrote:
> I think we should at least point out, in case any Stradling try to claim this supposed connection, that the Stradling baronets *died out* and therefore there are no male Stradlings who came from this family, even if this is the same person called "aged 21" when the ship put the Captain out.
An interesting point, however, there were and are Stradlings in the US that are descendents of the Stradlings of St. Donat's Castle. Yes, the Baronet title did die out with the death of Thomas Stradling 6th Bt (1710-1738) in Montpelier, France under some suspicious circumstances after a duel which seemed to involve his traveling companion. Anyway, Sir Edward Stradling 4th Bt (1643-1685) and his wife, Elizabeth Hungerford had four sons and a daughter. Edward, the second son, inherited the Baronet title since his older brother William died before his father (actually died very young). Thomas was the fifth son born to the two named above and was supposed to have died at sea but there remains very little actual documentation of that item. Either way, back to Baronetcy, Sir Edward 4 Bt also had another son named Edward, who became the 5th Bt upon his father's death in 1685 and it was this Edward, who married Elizabeth Mansel in 1694, who gave us two boys. One became yep, you got it, Edward (1699-1726) and the other brother was Thomas; who is the same Thomas mentioned in the discussion earlier. This particular Thomas became the 6th Bt upon his father's passing in 1735 . . . a title he held for only three years before his fateful duel in France. The Selkirk marooning was supposed to be 1704-1709 (per Wikipedia) so his Captain Stradling could not have been the Thomas 6th Bt. version but definitely could have been (and probably was) the same Thomas who was lost at sea. . . . . more on this to follow . . . . still doing quite a bit of reading.

Jim Stradling

Jan 18, 2021, 1:58:21 PM1/18/21

Hans Vogels

Jan 19, 2021, 1:49:21 AM1/19/21
Op maandag 18 januari 2021 om 19:58:21 UTC+1 schreef Jim Stradling:
It looks to me that the Thomas Stradling mentioned in 1684 is a more mature person (a gentleman) and not identical with a in 1677 or 1680/4 born child with that name. If his father Sir Edward Stradling is the same person as the father of the in 1677 born son Thomas, one may conclude that the Thomas Stradling mentioned in 1684 is not the son from the marriage with Elizabeth Hungerford, ergo he must be a bastardson.

The wording: >> as well out of the love and affection which he hath and beareth for and towards his said son Thomas Stradlinge as allsoe for a provision for his better maintainence and livlihood hereafter and for and in consideration of the rent and duties in the sequell hereof reseaved hath demised graunted and to ferme letten and by these presents doth demise graunt and to fermelett << seem to point that way.

That means that the Stradlings may have an additional member by the name of Thomas, not identical with the Thomas Stradling who acted as a captain.

Hans Vogels