FOLLIOTT and STRODE

John Higgins

Oct 31, 2005, 12:45:52 AM10/31/05
CP 5:543 says that Henry Folliott, 1st Lord Folliott, Baron of Ballyshannon, mar. Anne, dau. of Sir William Strode of Stoke-under-Hampton, Somerset. Anne Strode, as his widow, subsequently mar. Robert Dillon, 2nd Earl of Roscommon.

I have been unable to locate Anne and her father Sir William in any pedigree of the various Strode families. There was a brief mention of this in a 2003 post by Paul Reed, which suggested (in a response to an inquiry on a different Strode by Robert O'Connor) that this Sir William MIGHT (note emphasis) at least chronologically be the one who mar. Elizabeth Upton and was the son of Edward Strode of Shepton Malet and Alice Whiting. But pedigrees of the family don't give him the specified daughter Anne apparently.

Has anyone found any further information on this Strode/Folliott marriage and particularly the Strode ancestry? There apparently was a Foliot family in Dorset which had at least one marriage with a Strode, but it's not clear that this was the same family as the Folliot[t]s of Worcester (the family of the Irish peer), or that it was the same Strode family.

Related question: CP also says that Henry Folliott was son of Thomas Folliott of Pyrton, Worcestershire, by his 2nd wife Katherine, dau. of William Lygon. But Douglas Richardson's "Plantagenet Ancestry" says that Katherine was 1st, not 2nd wife, of Thomas Folliott, citing (and quoting, supposedly verbatim, as indicated by quote marks) a Foliot [sic] pedigree from the 1569 visitation of Worcestershire (HSP 27). But the cited visitation pedigree, while including both of the marriages of Thomas "Folyotte", does not give any explicit indication of their order. Perhaps other sources cited by RPA can answer this discrepancy, but this one at least doesn't resolve the question: was Katherine Lygon the first or second wife?

Thanks in advance for any help on these questions....

Robert O'Connor

Oct 31, 2005, 3:48:26 AM10/31/05

""John Higgins"" <jthi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> CP 5:543 says that Henry Folliott, 1st Lord Folliott, Baron of
Ballyshannon, mar. Anne, dau. of Sir William Strode of Stoke-under-Hampton,
Somerset. Anne Strode, as his widow, subsequently mar. Robert Dillon, 2nd
Earl of Roscommon.

> I have been unable to locate Anne and her father Sir William in any
pedigree of the various Strode families.

John

According to the 'Pedigree of Strode of Parnham' found in John Hutchins'
'History of Dorset', II, p 130 a Dorothy Strode is recorded as wife of Sir
John Foliot.

This Dorothy Strode appears to have been the daughter of:

THOMAS STRODE, of Stoke sub Hamdon, Somerset., Born c. 1530. M c. 1565
Theophilia (Mentioned in her father's will as "Theophilia Clifton my
daughter", 20 July 1562. Mentioned in her husband's will as "my wife
Theophilia" under which she was granted a life interest in her husband's
leasehold "parsonage, free chapel & rectory of Stoke under Hamdon", 23 April
1595. She M 2nd 6 Aug. 1596 at Stoke sub Hamdon, Anthony Parsons,
"Gentleman", Steward of the Manor of Martock, Somerset - his Will Proved at
P.C.C., 19 May 1613), d. of William Clifton, Esq., of Barrington, Somerset &
London & his wife Elizabeth, d. of Thomas Blount, Esq., of Sodington, Co.
Worc. (See CLIFTON of CLIFTON). He was mentioned in his father's will under
which he received a gift of his father's "lease of Stoke under Hamdon" & a
bequest of £200, 13 April 1559. Appointed an overseer of the will of his
brother John, 1 Sept. 1581. Will dated 23 April 1595 - in which he was
described as "Thomas Strode of the Parish of Stoke under Hamdon in the
Diocese of Bath & Wells Esquire". Bur. 25 April 1595 at Stoke sub Hamdon -
recorded in the burial register as "Thomas Strode, Esquire". Will Proved at
P.C.C., 26 May 1595. He had issue:

Refs: PR; Father's will; HoD II, pp 130 & 131; HSP Dorset 1623, p 76; HSP
Notts, p 18; Will PCC.

Whether this Dorothy Strode is one and the same person who married 1st
Henry, 1st Baron Folliot & 2nd Robert Dillon, 2nd Earl of Roscommon I cannot
be sure. On chronological grounds alone she could be?

There does not appear to have been a 'Sir William Strode of
Stoke-sub-Hamdon'. I will send to you off list my full Strode file which
details what I have been able to piece together on the Stoke-sub-Hamdon
Strodes and their origins.

Best wishes
Robert

John Higgins

Oct 31, 2005, 11:40:12 AM10/31/05
Robert:

Thanks for the useful response. I had seen the reference to Dorothy Strode
in Hutchins' Dorset, along with the note that her husband may have been
Thomas, not Sir John, Foliot. But (chronology aside) it's hard to see how
Dorothy daughter of Thomas and wife of Sir John or Thomas Foliot could be
confused for Anne daughter of Sir William and wife of Henry Folliott. This
seems too much of a stretch....

Thnaks for your file on the Strodes...I will have to study it....