Susan Alington d 1681

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:09:35 PM5/31/21
https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00054067&tree=LEO

We see that Susan Alington bap 1605 d 1681 married secondly to Isaac Appleton after the death of her first husband Robert Crane who d 17 Feb 1642/1643 London "aged about 55"

No date is given for this second marriage.

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:12:55 PM5/31/21
Isaac /Appleton/ of Little Waldringfield, co Suffolk; esq
Heir of his father; "not yet 21" on 8 Sep 1608
was bap 26 Jan 1605/1606 Burrough Green, co Camb (Batch C07344-1 wj)

He was the son of
Isaac /Appleton/ , Knt 1603; first son who d 14 Sep 1608
by
Mary /Cage/ who was buried 14 Jun 1615 Little Waldingfield

Isaac Jr had at least one elder sister
Dorothy /Appleton/ bap 29 Nov 1604 Longstowe, co Camb (Batch P01174-1 wj)
and at least one younger sister
Frances /Appleton/ bap 25 Apr 1609 Longstowe, co Camb (Batch P01174-1 wj)

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:14:25 PM5/31/21

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:20:59 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 2:14:25 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
> Leo has that family here
>
> https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00733000&tree=LEO

After the death of her first husband, Mary Cage next married Lawrence /Butler/ , Gent by 1612

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5568954

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:23:22 PM5/31/21
Isaac Appleton married Susan Alington by 1646

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5195882

JBrand

May 31, 2021, 5:23:50 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:14:25 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> Leo has that family here
>
> https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00733000&tree=LEO

Okay, so I guess the Isaac Appleton who corresponded with Sir John Tracy of Stanhoe (his own brother-in-law) was a nephew of the Samuel Appleton who went to New England.

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:26:16 PM5/31/21
Isaac husband to Susan, was yet living (as was she) in 1658 when they are still dealing with her dead husband's estate

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6151246

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:29:09 PM5/31/21
He was dead by 1662 when Susan is called a widow

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5625584

Robert Appleton here may be a son or a brother

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:30:35 PM5/31/21
He has a PCC entry

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5604385

must have been some reason for the delay into 1663
maybe the widow didn't want to deal with it

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:34:22 PM5/31/21

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 5:46:42 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 2:34:22 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
> Ah here we go, the pre-nuptial settlement
>
> https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ccc48239-37f2-4864-b839-6a36de455ae0

Oops this is the pre-nuptial settlement for Mary Crane to Ralph Hare dated 29 Dec 1647

I do have *one* source stating that this Mary was the daughter of Robert Crane of Chilton by his *first* wife Dorothy Hobart (Dorothy d 1624 bur Chilton). BUT I want to point out that Robert and Susan *also* had a daughter named Mary born 1629 and I wonder if the author of my other source has not gotten confused and there was really just the one Mary

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 6:05:06 PM5/31/21
Ahhhhh, here is his HOP stating that the marriage to Dorothy Hobart was s.p.
So I was right, Mary was the daughter of Susan

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/crane-sir-robert-1586-1643

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 11:46:42 PM5/31/21
Lawrence Butler was yet living in 1612 when he and his wife Mary (Cage) were accused of procuring an assault on William Alston

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5568954

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 11:48:03 PM5/31/21
He outlived his wife by some twenty years

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D867811

Will Johnson

May 31, 2021, 11:57:58 PM5/31/21
The only sources I can find call him Lawrence Butler of Great Grandson or some nonsense
clearly they mean Great Gransden, co Hunt

His will is written in an extremely difficult hand but I can make out that he gives to a Appleton whom he calls something like _____ daughter ? Maybe step daughter?

Leslie Mahler

Jun 1, 2021, 3:13:07 AM6/1/21
The will of Lawrence Butler of Great Gransden was written 25 May 1622.
He mentions son John B, under age 21; wife's daughter Frances Appleton;
friend Thomas Sheperd; and servant William Chevington.
A codicil dated 4 May 1628 states that Lawrence was visited with small pox
in Grey's Inn Lane, mentions brother George B, and names late wife's son
Isaac Appleton as executor.

Frances Appleton is ancestral to former Prime Minister, David Cameron.

Leslie

Will Johnson

Jun 1, 2021, 10:33:49 AM6/1/21
Isaac the step-son would have only been 16 at the time.
Shouldn't their be a Court of Wards and Liveries entry for him?