William Douglas married Eleanor Ferrers?

J Garner

May 31, 2004, 12:21:01 PM5/31/04
"William de Douglas flouted the guardians of the interregnum and insulted
the authority of King Edward of England by abducting and forcibly marrying
Eleanor de Ferrers, an English widow, while she was staying with relatives
in Scotland." --per Ronald McNair Scott, in his book "Robert the Bruce: King
of Scots"

The William Douglas in question was "le Hardi", born 1225 died 1302, one of
the first lords to join with William Wallace. If this forced marriage took
place in the Interregnum, it was most likely circa 1290 or a bit later. The
only Eleanor de Ferrers I have that I thought was a candidate died in 1274.

Anybody have any answers? Such as the identity and ancestry of this Eleanor?
If she was widowed, was she only married to a Ferrers man?

Regards

JG

CE Wood

May 31, 2004, 12:39:54 PM5/31/04
Alianore (Eleanor) de Louvain, c 1268-c 1326, married William de Ferrers
of Groby, c 1240-c 1287.

See Jim Weber's excellent site at:

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id=I10452
for more.

CE Wood

"J Garner" <jgar...@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

te...@mairsphotography.com

May 31, 2004, 11:03:08 PM5/31/04
I show two wives for William the hardy, one is Elinore de Louvaine, but I
have no parents for her, this could have been de Ferrers, and also Elizabeth
Stewart.
I hope this helps but if any one know if this Elinore is a Louvaine, or a
Ferrers please let us know
Thanks
Terry

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Jun 1, 2004, 4:27:10 AM6/1/04
In message of 1 Jun, te...@mairsphotography.com wrote:

> I show two wives for William the hardy, one is Elinore de Louvaine,
> but I have no parents for her, this could have been de Ferrers, and
> also Elizabeth Stewart. I hope this helps but if any one know if this
> Elinore is a Louvaine, or a Ferrers please let us know

CP VIII, p. 180 note (f) effectively gives Eleanor de Lovaine's parents
as Matthew de Lovaine and his first wife Helisant "a kinswoman of Henry
III". Eleanor's mother cannot have been Maud Poyntz, second wife of
Matthew Lovaine, as Maud had a daughter Alice who was her sole heir.

Who was Helisant?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe t...@powys.org
For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org

Rosie Bevan

Jun 1, 2004, 5:58:00 AM6/1/04
The fact that Eleanor de Lovaine was staying in Scotland with relations
tends to suggest a royal connection - John de Baliol married Isabella
grand-dau. of Hugh X of Lusignan and Isabella de Angouleme, Eleanor of
Geneva, wife of Alexander Baliol was a kinswoman of Henry III and Hugh
Baliol had married Agnes, dau of William de Valence. The timing of the
abduction is interesting. What gain would William Douglas hope to make by
marrying a kinswoman of the king? Or speculatively was it the Baliols he
wanted a close connection with?

Thomas, son of Mathew Lovaine was born in 1291 as given in his proof of age
[CIPM V 539]. Witnesses state that his mother, sister of Thomas de Blakenham
(presumably of Blakenham, Suffolk), died immediately after his birth. So it
would seem that Mathew Lovaine had at least one child by each of his known
wives. As Maud Poyntz was his widow, the order would appear to be Helisant,
NN de Blakenham, Maud Poyntz.

Cheers

Rosie