Dorothy Vernon of Maldon, Essex

445 views
Skip to first unread message

David Drabold

unread,
May 16, 2014, 12:18:30 PM5/16/14
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Dear List,

I came upon something I thought interesting. The immigrant Malachi
Browning (1601-1653), an early setter of Martha's Vineyard, was son of
William Browning of Essex and his wife Dorothy Vernon. Dorothy seems to be
a bit of a mystery, but in fact its clear that she is daughter of William
Vernon of Maldon and Little Beeleigh, Essex (a. 1545-1605). William is
discussed in the History of Parliament online:

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/vernon-william-1545-1605

There is reference to his Will in this piece, including a reference to his
daughter Dorothy. What is more, when I found the Will on Ancestry:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=CanturburyPrerogativeCourt&h=914151&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t25763682_p26200156140_kpidz0q3d26200156140z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid

The spidery hand explicitly refers to Dorothy as wife of William Browning!

It seems that we have a clue here as to the Vernon family from which
Dorothy comes. It states in the HOP page that these Vernons derive from the
Vernons of the Peak in Derbyshire.

Dave Drabold
http://www.phy.ohiou.edu/~drabold
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jan

unread,
May 16, 2014, 5:06:11 PM5/16/14
to
On Friday, May 16, 2014 1:50:54 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> "Malaky" Browning and Mary Collier married 22 May 1628 at St. Helen Bishopsgate, London (IGI Batch M00142-1).
>
For those who prefer an image of the original document to an IGI extraction, the parish register record for this marriage is available on Ancestry.com at http://interactive.ancestry.com/1624/31281_A101596-00049/6989181
Source: London Metropolitan Archives, St Helen Bishopgate, Composite register: baptisms 1575 - 1649, marriage 1575 - 1655, burials 1575 - 1651, P69/HEL/A/001/MS06830, Item 001, image 47, London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812.

Matt A

unread,
May 18, 2014, 3:57:37 PM5/18/14
to
On Friday, May 16, 2014 12:53:29 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Interesting connection if it can be proved out.
>
>
>
> Aspinwall's notarial records in New England show Malachi Browning's connection to one Mr. Thomas Browning, clerk, of Maldon, Essex.
>
>
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=5XNcjS7zjhgC&pg=PA167&dq=%22malachi+browning%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SD92U8yIKNGcqAbMgoGQAg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22malachi%20browning%22&f=false
>
>
>
> Here is William Vernon, MP's, (claimed) descent from Sir Richard Vernon of the Peake, and his wife Joan Griffith:
>
>
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=0m1KAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA307&dq=visitation+vernon+nottinghamshire&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CUB2U8STOMmGqgawzoCwAg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=visitation%20vernon%20nottinghamshire&f=false
>
>
>
> Here is a line of descent from Malachi Browning down to Hannah Brown, herself the apparent great-grandmother of Hannibal Hamlin, 15th vice president of the U.S.
>
>
>
> http://fabpedigree.com/s061/f082182.htm

Douglas Richardson has constructed a line from Joan Griffith to William the Lion:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/_WOeVPcbq-w/pfdQa2DCRcAJ

Dave D.

unread,
May 23, 2014, 11:27:24 AM5/23/14
to
Thanks, this Visitation pedigree makes an interesting connection between William Vernon, MP from Essex (d 1605) to Sir Richard Vernon "of the Peak", who married Joane Griffith.

The chronology looks stretched to me, does anyone have additional insight into this line? I have had little luck turning up other evidence.

Cheers, Dave

On Friday, May 16, 2014 1:50:54 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> "Malaky" Browning and Mary Collier married 22 May 1628 at St. Helen Bishopsgate, London (IGI Batch M00142-1).
>
>
>
> Another pedigree:
>
>
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=8vsUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA613&dq=%22william+vernon%22+essex&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LEp2U6aKKsSUqAbk-4C4Dw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22william%20vernon%22%20essex&f=false

Matthew Connolly

unread,
May 27, 2014, 11:40:36 AM5/27/14
to
Le vendredi 23 mai 2014 18:27:24 UTC+3, Dave D. a écrit :
> Thanks, this Visitation pedigree makes an interesting connection between William Vernon, MP from Essex (d 1605) to Sir Richard Vernon "of the Peak", who married Joane Griffith.
>
>
>
> The chronology looks stretched to me, does anyone have additional insight into this line? I have had little luck turning up other evidence.
>
>
>
> Cheers, Dave


The pedigree can't be right as given in the Visitation - the Richard Vernon in question and Joan Griffith had only one son (Richard) and two daughters. The son Richard had numerous children, including several sons who are either definite, probable or otherwise attributed; it's just possible this 'Henry of Nottinghamshire' could be another, but I don't know offhand if there's anything to support that. I can't place him anywhere else in the main line (unless he was illegitimate).

-Matthew

Dave D.

unread,
May 28, 2014, 3:45:27 PM5/28/14
to
Thanks, this is partly why I was wondering about the arms. Burke and others agree that the arms of Vernon of Little Beligh and Notts are similar to branches of the Derbyshire family, and in particular the Vernon arms around the time of Edward III, possibly of the Richard in question. I confess to knowing little about heraldry, but doesn't it seem likely that these canonical Vernon arms displayed by the Essex family would be granted only if the Essex clan was believed to be descended from the Derby family? I would suppose that the Derby family would object to non-Vernons displaying essentially their arms. How valid is such an argument?

Dave

Matthew Connolly

unread,
May 29, 2014, 9:53:39 AM5/29/14
to
Le mercredi 28 mai 2014 22:45:27 UTC+3, Dave D. a écrit :
> Thanks, this is partly why I was wondering about the arms. Burke and others agree that the arms of Vernon of Little Beligh and Notts are similar to branches of the Derbyshire family, and in particular the Vernon arms around the time of Edward III, possibly of the Richard in question. I confess to knowing little about heraldry, but doesn't it seem likely that these canonical Vernon arms displayed by the Essex family would be granted only if the Essex clan was believed to be descended from the Derby family? I would suppose that the Derby family would object to non-Vernons displaying essentially their arms. How valid is such an argument?
>
>
>
> Dave

The arms are certainly consistent with some relationship, but don't in themselves provide conclusive evidence that there was one; just that the family and/or the heralds either believed there was one, as you say - or wanted there to be one. However, I don't think a link is that unlikely - just that it may be hard to prove beyond doubt!

-Matthew
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

leslie...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 21, 2014, 8:45:27 PM11/21/14
to
On Friday, May 16, 2014 9:53:29 AM UTC-7, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:


> Here is a line of descent from Malachi Browning down to Hannah Brown, herself the apparent great-grandmother of Hannibal Hamlin, 15th vice president of the U.S.
>
> http://fabpedigree.com/s061/f082182.htm


Notice, however, that in Banks' History of Martha's Vineyard,
regarding the wife of John Pease,
"there is a family tradition that her maiden name was Browning,
and presumably daughter of Malachi Browning of this town."

http://books.google.com/books?id=7ZAlAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA102&dq=presumably+daughter+of+Malachi+Browning&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GelvVKuRIYKoNuS-gZgK&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=presumably%20daughter%20of%20Malachi%20Browning&f=false

The account of the family of Malachi Browning in that same
publication makes no mention at all of the Pease family:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7ZAlAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA48&dq=joseph+collier+1648+mary+browning&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JupvVMuvCMabgwS3tYIo&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=joseph%20collier%201648%20mary%20browning&f=false

Leslie

leslie...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 12, 2015, 11:53:09 PM3/12/15
to
Malachi Browning & some of his relatives are mentioned
in the will of his brother, Daniel Browninge of London,
clothworker, proved in 1626.

Daniel is -believed- to be the father of Nathaniel Browning
of Rhode Island.

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.browning/2930.1/mb.ashx

Leslie

Darrell E. Larocque

unread,
Jan 11, 2022, 11:10:26 PMJan 11
to
There is another connection from John Pease to Malachi Browning:

A daughter of Malachi, Susannah, married William Vincent (or Vinson), and their granddaughter Abigail Vincent married Nathaniel Pease, grandson of John Pease and Lucy Weston, his other wife.

So it is not a stretch to consider that Mary might have indeed been a daughter of Malachi- Edgartown was a very small place.

Darrell E. Larocque

Will Johnson

unread,
Jan 12, 2022, 3:40:50 PMJan 12
to
I note that there is a proposal to change the name of Lucy "Weston" to Lucy Unknown
as she was the daughter-in-law not daughter to Francis Weston.

In a court record dated 1635 Robert Anderson author of the Great Migration series amended to say "mother [in law] Mrs Weston"

'Banks called Lucy the daughter of Mrs. Weston. "It is therefore certain that our John Pease married Lucy, the daughter of Mrs. Margaret Weston, wife of Francis Weston." In a second passage, he clarifies the conclusion regarding her relationship to Weston saying, "In a few years, Weston himself became a desciple of Gorton, and his step-dughter, Lucy Pease, likewise ..." With this clarification, Banks never did attribute the surname Weston to Lucy. Nonetheless, Anderson's clarification still updates the record to show that Francis' wife was also not Lucy's mother. '


https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/94525/proposal-change-last-name-birth-lucy-first-immigrant-pease

Darrell E. Larocque

unread,
Jan 13, 2022, 7:28:35 PMJan 13
to
Thank you for this! As I have found far too often, the countless sources over the course of the last 200 plus years regarding New England ancestry are just full of inaccuracies and have frustrated me countless times. This doesn't surprise me one bit, and the sheer work involved in correcting the seemingly never ending inaccuracies is daunting, and Banks is not the exception, not by a long shot.

My intention was to show that an association between the Pease and Browning families had existed through marriage, but I have nothing to offer beyond that.

Darrell
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages