Is AALT down?

Nathan Murphy

Feb 18, 2021, 4:26:06 AM2/18/21
I've been unable to get into the AALT website. Is anyone else experiencing difficulties? I'm guessing this is due to the power outage in Texas.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/

Nathan

taf

Feb 18, 2021, 7:45:27 AM2/18/21
On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 1:26:06 AM UTC-8, nathan...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been unable to get into the AALT website. Is anyone else experiencing difficulties? I'm guessing this is due to the power outage in Texas.

Same here. The UH home site is still accessible, but they are probably rationing power.

taf

Vance Mead

Feb 20, 2021, 1:16:53 AM2/20/21
Yes, the servers have been shut down since Monday due to power outages. It should be available again on Monday.

Vance Mead

Feb 20, 2021, 2:13:52 AM2/20/21
This s a tweet that went out on Thursday:

"Houston is in the midst of a very bad cold spell that has much reduced power generation across Texas. The University of Houston has thus had to suspend many services. The AALT will be back probably on or a bit before Monday and is in no danger."

drbbo...@googlemail.com

Feb 24, 2021, 12:41:18 PM2/24/21
On Saturday, 20 February 2021 07:13:52 UTC, Vance Mead wrote:
> This s a tweet that went out on Thursday:
>
> "Houston is in the midst of a very bad cold spell that has much reduced power generation across Texas. The University of Houston has thus had to suspend many services. The AALT will be back probably on or a bit before Monday and is in no danger."

Hmmm... Still down and it's the 24th Feb. Somewhat worrying. Mind you it seems there are really big problems with the power supply in Texas.

Compounding the issue is that Texas's electric system of ERCOT is isolated from the rest of the country, partly as a way to avoid federal regulation. So it cannot simply import power from elsewhere to make up for the shortage.

Texas produces more power than any other state. Here's why it went dark anyway
"When it comes to electricity, what happens in Texas stays in Texas," said Dan Cohan, associate professor of environmental engineering at Rice University. "That has really come back to bite us."

pj.ev...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2021, 1:51:57 PM2/24/21
Lots of frozen (and broken) water pipes, also, which create major problems as they thaw out. (Some parts of Texas aren't in ERCOT.)

Vance Mead

Feb 25, 2021, 12:53:27 PM2/25/21
The AALT is now online again.

Nathan Murphy