Re: Incest is best: Anthony Morse family of Newbury, Mass.?

Message has been deleted

Dora Smith

Jun 10, 2008, 7:25:41 PM6/10/08
Does this Rodborne Cheney have any known male line descendants in this
country?

If so, learning if Anthony Morse was descended from him ought not to be
hard. LOL. If you can convince a couple of those Morse stuffed heads to
agree to Y DNA testing. Maybe a couple already did for all I know.

But my Morse line is from Samuel of Essex, England, so I've no knowledge
about it.

But it's one for the Black Sheep list, whoever's descended from him!
Wonder what was a Frediswide? Sounds like an early medieval German name.

--
Yours,
Dora Smith
"John Brandon" <starb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Does anybody want to address the issue of whether the records below,
from _Calendar of State Papers, Domestic_ pertain to Anthony Morse of
Newbury, or his father (who may have had the same name)? (I am
descended from this family.)

I've seen some claims that the New England Anthony Morse was from
Rodborne Cheney (or at least nearby Marlborough) in Wilts. ...

http://nortvoods.net/morse.html

http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22anthony+morse%22+cheney&btnG=Search+Books

_Calendar of State Papers, Domestic Series, of the Reign of Charles I,
1635-1636_, pp. 491, 494, 503:

[11 Feb. 1635/6.] Acts of the Court of High Commission

Anthony Marley [sic], of Rodborne Cheney, co. Wilts. An attachment
for non-appearance.

[11 Feb. 1635/6.] Acts of the Court of High Commission

Anthony Morse of Rodborne Cheney, [Wilts.] Appeared and took oath.

[5 May 1636.] Acts of the Court of High Commission

Anthony Morse of Rodborne Cheney, Wilts. Defendant had given in his
answers and entered bond to appear by his proctor, and for the present
was very sick and not likely to recover. Ordered, that the cause
should continue _in statu quo_ until the first court day of next term.

_Calendar of State Papers, Domestic Series, of the Reign of Charles I,
1636-1637_, p. 135:

[22 Sept. 1636.] Petition of William Maccord and Allister Man, his
Majesty's footmen in ordinary, to the King. Anthony Morse about 14
years since was presented by the churchwardens of the parish of Wilts
[Wilton ?] for incest with Fridiswide Ball, long since deceased, and
the cause he did the same was by reason of a weakness in his brain,
for the which he is heartily sorry. Morse having a wife and many
children, petitioners pray that a pardon may be granted him.

_Calendar of State Papers, Domestic Series, of the Reign of Charles I,
1637-38_, p. 13:

[8 Dec. 1637.] Extract from the Register of the High Commission
Court, touching the cause of Anthony Morse, late of Rodborne Cheney,
Wilts. Morse had been questioned for incest with Frideswide Ball,
daughter to his late wife, and, after various proceedings, had been
enjoined penance. To avoid the same he had removed into co. Berks,
and had been excommunicated. Frideswide Ball had confessed the fact,
and had been enjoined penance. Morse had denied the charge of incest,
and also a charge of antenuptial fornication with his present wife.

* * * * * *

Several places on the internet, I saw the New England immigrant
assigned a wife “Mary Ann Waldron.” There is actually an extracted
IGI record (batch M022925) for

Saint Mary, Marlborough, Wiltshire
--Anthony Morice to An Waldron, 27 Nov. 1616

7:22 AM

Nathaniel Taylor

Jun 10, 2008, 7:53:06 PM6/10/08
In article <484f0d70$0$5703$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"Dora Smith" <vill...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Does this Rodborne Cheney have any known male line descendants in this
> country?
>
> If so, learning if Anthony Morse was descended from him ought not to be
> hard. LOL. If you can convince a couple of those Morse stuffed heads to
> agree to Y DNA testing. Maybe a couple already did for all I know.
>
> But my Morse line is from Samuel of Essex, England, so I've no knowledge
> about it.
>
> But it's one for the Black Sheep list, whoever's descended from him!
> Wonder what was a Frediswide? Sounds like an early medieval German name.

Rodbourne Cheney is not a person but a parish in Wiltshire.

And Frideswide is a proper English name in that Saint Frideswide was
venerated there (and apparently only there) in the later Middle
Ages--she is the patron saint of the city and university of
Oxford--though she appears originally to have been an obscure Frankish
saint, so presumably the name is Frankish in origin (your ear is right
on that one). Either way I expect very, very few people were given this
name in the 17th century.

Nat Taylor
a genealogist's sketchbook:
http://www.nltaylor.net/sketchbook/

pj.evans

Jun 10, 2008, 10:40:05 PM6/10/08
On Jun 10, 4:53 pm, Nathaniel Taylor <nltay...@nltaylor.net> wrote:
> In article <484f0d70$0$5703$4c368...@roadrunner.com>,

I have one on my tree. From Wiltshire, actually. The name also appears
as Frittisweed (probably a phonetic spelling) and Friday.

mhol...@mac.com

Jun 10, 2008, 10:45:17 PM6/10/08
Anthony Morse appears in the latest Great Migration Volume (1634-5), V:
159-67. This Anthony Morse immigrated in 1635. The Anthony in your
posting was undoubtedly a relative.

Nathaniel Taylor

Jun 10, 2008, 10:55:50 PM6/10/08
In article
<57433024-8a39-401e...@x1g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
"pj.evans" <pj.eva...@usa.net> wrote:

The NBI is a favorite quick source of mine for name frequency &
geographic distribution, searchable at

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

(don't need to pay anything if you're only looking for index hits by
county and year for frequency & distribution). Only 162 Frideswides in
the entire 17th century. A few Wilts. entries, but it looks like it's
evenly sparse through the south of England, with a few outliers in Wales
& Yorkshire, etc.

Of course the NBI is very spotty so it doesn't give accurate
county-by-county frequency samples, but good as a quick predictor of
abundance, rarity or absence of a name in a given county.

Richard Carruthers a.k.a. Carruthers-Zurowski

Jun 11, 2008, 4:17:13 AM6/11/08
to John Brandon, gen-me...@rootsweb.com, Leo van de Pas
If you check out the BYU online books colllection you can get the full transcript of the Pillsbury pedigree pertaining to Morse.

I happen to descend from the Roger Morse, yeoman, of Rodbourne Cheney, Wilts., mentioned therein who is possibly an ancestral kinsman of the Anthony Morse who went to New England and is the ancestor of Samuel of Morse Code fame, and many others. Roger Morse's daughter was Margery who married Joshua vel Josiah Harmer. Their son George Harmer, described as "an heretick" by the imcumbent of Rodbourne Cheney, was probably an early Quaker. He married Edith NN (not the woman listed in most of the online material). His will dated 1700 (Arch. Wilts.) names his son-in-law John Large, of Purton, Wilts., as his executor (married to Grace Harmer). George's sons George and Josiah Harmer were early Quaker settlers of Pennsylvania. I descend from the stay-at-home Large/Harmer marriage.

Interestingly, Wiltshire Notes and Queries contains an account of the Morse family of RC which shows their linkage to the partnership that formed the basis of Childs Bank. One member of the sib married Peregrine Bertie and became ancestors of the erstwhile (til 1938 if memory serves) Earls of Lindsey.

Leo van de Pas's excellent website contains my forebears George Harmer and his wife Edith and their daughter Grace. It also contains the Elizabeth Payne who married Peregrine Bertie. It was her mother who was a Morse, and a kinswoman of my Rodbourne Cheney Morse's as an earlier email to Leo detailed.Richard H.B. Carruthers-Zurowski, M.A., Oxon.
Vancouver, CANADA

Richard Carruthers a.k.a. Carruthers-Zurowski

Jun 11, 2008, 5:13:08 AM6/11/08
to Nathaniel Taylor, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
In Wiltshire, where I am OPC (Online parish clerk) for Purton and neighbouring Rodbourne Cheney, Frideswide appears also as Friswith, and even Frizzy.

Old forms of uncommon Christian names there include Cis for Cisalia/Cecilia and Praxy/Practsey for Praxed/Praxeda/Praxedis, both names used in my Wiltshire ERNLE and LAMBE families.Richard H.B. Carruthers-Zurowski, M.A., Oxon.
Try Chicktionary, a game that tests how many words you can form from the letters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207

Hovite

Jun 12, 2008, 4:59:51 PM6/12/08
On Jun 11, 12:53 am, Nathaniel Taylor <nltay...@nltaylor.net> wrote:

> And Frideswide is a proper English name in that Saint Frideswide was
> venerated there (and apparently only there) in the later Middle
> Ages--she is the patron saint of the city and university of
> Oxford--though she appears originally to have been an obscure Frankish
> saint, so presumably the name is Frankish in origin (your ear is right
> on that one).

The name is Anglo-Saxon, frith (peace) + swith (strong), according to
Withycombe.

The story of "Saint Frideswide" is clearly a fairy tale. She is said
to have been the daughter of "King Didan", of Mercia, and to have
refused marriage to "King Algar", also of Mercia, and her death is
dated to 735. But "The earliest written life now extant was not
composed until four hundred years after her death", and neither king
really existed.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06303b.htm