Erde/Yerde family

pac...@talk21.com

Jul 9, 2021, 8:28:49 AM7/9/21
About 18 years ago there was a flurry of conversations about this family and a possible connection with the Courtney family. I am wondering if anyone is still interested in the Erdes!

My particular interest is in the Erde family who held the manors of Denton and Tappington in Kent from the late 13thC. Towards the end of the 14thC their name started to be written as Yerde and occasionally as Yarde.

In the early 15thC a John Yerde appears in the records as part of the royal household and serving directly under Henry in 1417. This John seems to have been buried in Cheam, Surrey, in 1549 and it has been suggested that he married a member of the Courtney family, based on his memorial plaques.

In the 1440s a John Erde/Yerde seems to have held the manors in Kent and I had assumed that this was the John who died in Cheam, until discovering that the Cheam John was almost certainly the son of William Yerde who served as sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in the early 1400s, as well as briefly deputy constable of the Tower of London (until some prisoners escaped). There is strong evidence that William Yerde originally came from the west of England and had connections with the Courtneys.

In 1431 the Aid due from the manors in Kent was paid by Robert Erde, who I assume was John Erde's father, but this means there would be two John Yerds around at the same time. This tends to be confirmed by the fact that the person appointed in 1429 as harbinger in Kent for the Cardinal of England is described as John Yerde the younger.

To make things even more puzzling the Thomas Yerde whose daughter and heir Anne married Thomas Heveningham is almost certainly from the Kent family as Anne inherited the manors of Denton and Tappington. However her tomb in Ketteringham also indicates a Courtney connection suggesting that she came from the Cheam family.

There is a lot of detail I have not included and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help disentangle this story.

Regards
Paul

David Powell

Jun 23, 2022, 9:08:12 PM6/23/22