Vlad the Impaler

Leslie Hauck

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
I understand the male line from Vlad Tepes the Impaler, Prince of Wallachia
died out 6 generations later with Alexander the Cocoon, Prince of Wallachia
& Moldavia and his brother Mihail Radu, Gioan Bey, Prince of Wallachia.
But are there any descendents of Vlad the Impaler today, perhaps through a
female line.
Wouldn't it be bizarre to be carrying some of his DNA around.Perhaps a
recessive gene lying dormant just waiting for the chance to come out.

Does anyone know ?
Or how about being a cousin. I've never seen anything in this discussion
group showing a relationship to these Princes of Wallachia between circa the
14th and 17th centuries.
I was merely curious as he has an interesting history.
Leslie Hauck

Leo van de Pas

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Dear Leslie,
Vlad has been discussed not so long ago. There was this American with
his 'sensational' discovery that Queen Mary of England was a descendant of
Dracula. However, reading the fine print of this stupid news paper report
tells you that she is a descendant 'of the senior line' of Vlad's family.
In fact she descends from Vlad's illegitimate half-brother.
There are MANY fourth/fifth cousins so-many-times removed
today, it is almost as easy to ask "who is not related".

To avoid the fairly well known line from Vlad's halfbrother to Queen Mary,
I tried to link Bob Livingston without success, John Steele Gordon without
success. But I found Sarah Ferguson (amongst many) is a third cousin
eighteen times removed, and so is Lady Diana Spencer.

Alexander I
Voivoide of Valachia
-1360
Elisaveta Bassaraba Radu I 'the Black'
1340-1367 Voivoide of Valachia
I I
Katharina von Schlesien-Oppeln Mircea I 'the Old'
1367-1420 Voivoide of Valachia
I -1418
Johannes I von Schlesien-Glogau I
1385-1439 Vlad II Dracul
I 'the Dragon'
Margarethe von Schlesien Voivoide of Valachia
-1491 I
I Vlad III Dracul
Margarethe von Mansfeld 'the Impaler'
I 1431-1476
Botho zu Stolberg-Wernigerode "Dracula"
1467-1538
Juliana zu Stolberg-Wernigerode
1506-1580
William the Silent, Prince of Orange
1533-1584
Charlotte Brabantina von Nassau
1580-1631
Charlotte de La Tremouille
1602-1664
Lady Amelia Ann Sophia Stanley
-1702
John Murray, 1st Duke of Atholl
1660-1724
Lady Susan Murray
1699-1725
Lady Catherine Gordon
1718-1779
Alexander Gordon, 4th Duke of Gordon
1743-1827
Lady Georgiana Gordon
1781-1853
Lady Louisa Jane Hamilton
1812-1905
Lord Herbert Montagu-Douglas-Scott
1872-1944
Hon.Marian Louisa Montagu-Douglas-Scott
1908-1996
Major Ronald Ivor Ferguson
1931-
Sarah Ferguson
Duchess of York
1959-

Hope this doesn't disappoint you---too many of you (not me!)
share the genes of Dracula.
Best wishes
Leo van de Pas

MTaHT

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Maria Leszcyzenska of Poland (wife of King Louis XV) was a descendant of Radu
of Wallachia, Vlad Tepes brother. They have many living descendants.

Mike Talbot
(no relation to
Lawrence Talbot
to you midnite movie buffs)

MTaHT

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Dracula's father was called Dracul (the Dragon).
The "a" suffix was a diminutive, hence Dracula:
"the little dragon".

One gateway to Dracul:

12. WALACHIA, Vlad 3 Dracul domnul of
b. 1400? Transylvania, d. 1446<---|
m. MOLDAVIA, Maria of <---parents of DRACULA
| (domnul Vlad 4 Dracula, Tepes)
| (1431-1477)
| (domnul approximates duke, not count)
11. WALACHIA, Radu 3 cel-frumos domnul, b. 1435?, d. 1474

10. WALACHIA, Maria of, b. 1460? Transylvania
m. MOLDAVIA, Stefan cel-mare domnul, b. 1450?, d. 1504

9. MOLDAVIA, Hanna Despotowna, b. 1490? Moldavia, d. 1578
m. SANGUSZKOWICZ, Fiodor, b. 1490?, d. 1547

8. SANGUSZKOWICZ, Roman voivod Lithuania, b. 1520?, d. 1571
m. CHODKIEWICZOWNA, Aleksandra, b. 1540?, d. 1570

7. SANGUSZKOWNA, Aleksandra, b. 1560? Poland, d. 1602
m. ZASLAWSKY, Janusz voiv.Volhynia, b. 1560?, d. 1629

6. ZASLAWSKA, Zofia, b. 1580?, d. 1626
m. OSTROZANKY, Jan cast.Pozn, voiv., b. 1547, d. 1622

5. OSTROZANKA, Anna, b. 1610? Poland, d. 1648
m. JABLONOWSKY, Jan Stanislaw, b. 1601, d. 1647

4. JABLONOWSKY, Stanislaw, b. 1634 Poland, d. 1702
m. KAZANOWSKA, Marianna, b. 1643, d. 1687

3. JABLONOWSKA, Anna, b. 1660 Poland, d. 1727
m. LESZCZYNSKI, Rafal, b. 1650, d. 1703

2. POLAND,KING, Stanislaw Leszczynski, pr.Lorraine,
b. 20 Oct 1677 Lwow, d. 23 Feb 1766 Luneville
m. OPALINSKA, Maria Katharina, b. 1680, d. 1747

1. POLAND-LESZCYZNSKA, Marie Charlotte Sophie de Lorraine,
b. 23 Jun 1703 Poznan, d. 24 Jun 1768 Versailles
m. FRANCE,KING, Louis 15 "the beloved",
| b. 15 Feb 1710, d. 10 May 1774

many descendants, Robespierre didn't get 'em all.

ref: some old doings by the Augustan Society pub.in "Omnibus".
? = date is a guess for research purposes, only.

Enjoy,
Mike Talbot