Casa de Leiva and ill dau of King of England

Cesare Patrignani

Jan 1, 2013, 3:56:07 AM1/1/13
Hello and Happy New Year to all in the group!

in "Compendio Genealogico o Epitome de la Historia de la Real casa de Leyva"
by don Pedro Varon (1655) - Google Books - I read that Sancho Martinez de
Leyva, tenth lord of Leyva married - as first wife - "la Infanta Isabel
Milady, hija natural suia ( of King Edward III), havida en Isabel de Sulfoch
(sic) de la casa de Notuberlan (sic)" that is to say....... Isabel Milady,
his (of the King Edward the third) natural daughter by Isabel of Suffolk,
countess of Northumberland......

This is the first time I hear of this illegittimate daughter of Edward
III...can anybody please confirm this fatherhood??? Who was this Isabel of
Suffolk, King Edward III's mistress?

Thank you very much and best wishes to everybody

Cesare Patrignani

__________ Informazioni da ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versione del database delle firme digitali 7848 (20121231) __________

Il messaggio è stato controllato da ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

www.nod32.it

Christopher Ingham

Jan 1, 2013, 6:40:42 AM1/1/13
On Jan 1, 3:56 am, "Cesare Patrignani" <cepa...@tin.it> wrote:
> Hello and Happy New Year to all in the group!
>
> in "Compendio Genealogico o Epitome de la Historia de la Real casa de Leyva"
> by don Pedro Varon (1655) - Google Books - I read that Sancho Martinez de
> Leyva, tenth lord of Leyva married - as first wife - "la Infanta Isabel
> Milady, hija natural suia ( of King Edward III), havida en Isabel de Sulfoch
> (sic) de la casa de Notuberlan (sic)" that is to say....... Isabel Milady,
> his (of the King Edward the third) natural daughter by Isabel of Suffolk,
> countess of Northumberland......
>
> This is the first time I hear of this illegittimate daughter of Edward
> III...can anybody please confirm this fatherhood??? Who was this Isabel of
> Suffolk, King Edward III's mistress?
>
> Thank you very much and best wishes to everybody
I find the same information only in various eighteenth-century
secondary sources. In the second example below the mistress and
daughter of Edward are both called Elizabeth.

Thomas Carte,_A general history of England_, vol. 2 (London, 1750), p.
539:
http://books.google.com/books?id=uwRDAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA539
There are ascribed to this king [Edward III] two natural children,
_viz. John Baldac_4, and_Isabella_, married to_Sancho Martinez de
Leiva_5, a_Spanish_nobleman, who on her account quartered
the_English_leopards in his ecutcheon.
4 _Ex Pell. Mich_.
5 [_Anon. Hist.] E. III_.

John Talbot Dillon,_The history of the reign of Peter the Cruel, king
of Castile and Leon_, vol. 2 (London, 1788), pp. 76-77:
http://books.google.com/books?id=3lZKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA76
[Don] Sancho [Martinez de Leyva] came over to England, where he
offered his services to Edward III. and attended on John duke of
Lancaster in his expedition to Scotland. He afterwards went into
France, and served under the Prince of Wales, with whom he was at the
famous battle and victory of Poictiers. After this he commanded the
English army in [77] Picardy, and was very instrumental in the
advantages gained over the French in those wars; and from his
remarkable strength of body was called_Brazo de fierro_, or " Iron
Arm." In recompence for his services, when he returned to England,
Edward III. to testify his regard for his person, gave him in marriage
his natural daughter Elizabeth, by Elizabeth Suffolk, countess of
Northumberland, granting him further the privilege, in addition to his
paternal coat armour, to quarter the armorial bearings of England.
[The digraph “ct” in “victory” and “Poictiers” is ligated.]

Christopher Ingham

Hovite

Jan 1, 2013, 7:58:29 AM1/1/13
There was no Earl of Northumberland during the reign of Edward III.

Cesare Patrignani

Jan 1, 2013, 8:35:56 AM1/1/13
thank you very much

"Christopher Ingham" <christop...@comcast.net> ha scritto nel
messaggio
firme digitali 7849 (20130101) __________

Il messaggio è stato controllato da ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

www.nod32.it

__________ Informazioni da ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versione del database delle firme digitali 7849 (20130101) __________

ingrid De leyva y hapsburg

Nov 6, 2022, 4:31:02 PM11/6/22