Sir Francis Stydolfe d 1656

wjhonson

Feb 24, 2021, 5:14:31 PM2/24/21
At Mickleham there is or was an M.I. to Sir Francis Stydolfe who d 12 Mar 1655 (sic) aged 75.

I believe this should be 12 Mar 1655/6 as his will appears to be dated 4 Nov 1655

In his will he states that he is of Norbury Surrey

Does anyone have a pedigree for this family ?

John Higgins

Feb 24, 2021, 6:12:48 PM2/24/21
1) Burke's Extinct Baronetages

2) Visitations of Surrey in 1530, 1572, and 1630 (Harleian Society, vol. 43)

Both books should be available at Google Books or the Internet Archive (I have downloaded copies but no URLs).

wjhonson

Feb 24, 2021, 8:42:58 PM2/24/21
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitations_of_the_County_of_Surrey/naxCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA42

Stydolf is here on page 42

I had already entered the baptisms for several children at Mickleham
So I can report that the Henry/Harry by the third wife was bap 20 May 1572 Mickleham, Surrey (Batch C14520-1 wj)

There was also then a Suzanne in 1573 and an Elizabeth in 1574

Since William, son of William, here, is called "aged 33" in 1623, then the Henry I mentioned cannot be the second son who was by Jane Gyles, but rather he must be the fourth son, by this third wife Jane Smyth

This gives an approximate date range for this third wife, whom I had not otherwise known about.

wjhonson

Feb 24, 2021, 9:03:36 PM2/24/21
We also see that John who signed this Vis, gives Sir Francis five daughters only at this point (9 Aug 1623)
He gives Helen, Elizabeth, Mary, Penelope, and Anne in that order

The register gives these baptisms Mickleham, Surrey (Batch C14520-1 wj)
Ellen /Stydolfe/ 19 Oct 1616
Elizabeth /Stydolfe/ 17 Mar 1617
Penelope /Stydolfe/ 4 Nov 1622

There is no Mary nor Anne but we see a five year gap into which they would fit if the family were perhaps then living elsewhere.

Following Penelope we then have
Jane /Stydolfe/ 16 Aug 1624
Francis /Stydolfe/ 4 Jun 1626
Thomas /Stydolfe/ 10 Aug 1627
Richard /Stydolfe/ 7 Nov 1628

We know that at least Richard is named in his father's will exec.
But there is also a Mary so-named who was unmarried in 1655.
I think this Mary was more likely a younger Mary, not the one who was apparently living as the third daughter in 1623

wjhonson

Feb 24, 2021, 9:07:05 PM2/24/21
The Jane given here bap 1624, is that Jane who married firstly Henry Yates of Warnham, by which they had at least the son Henry bap 6 Sep 1659 who was an MP and has a HOP bio. This Henry was apparently posthumous; Jane married rapidly (in 1659 or 1660) to Henry Onslow who was bap 4 Oct 1621 and dead sometime before 1680

wjhonson

Feb 25, 2021, 11:37:01 AM2/25/21
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 6:07:05 PM UTC-8, wjhonson wrote:
> The Jane given here bap 1624, is that Jane who married firstly Henry Yates of Warnham, by which they had at least the son Henry bap 6 Sep 1659 who was an MP and has a HOP bio. This Henry was apparently posthumous; Jane married rapidly (in 1659 or 1660) to Henry Onslow who was bap 4 Oct 1621 and dead sometime before 1680

Actually it turns out that Henry was dead by 1668 as that year Jane as a widow of Norbury married to her third and last husband John Amherst of Gray's Inn

Mark Jennings

Feb 25, 2021, 12:30:04 PM2/25/21
Perhaps the Henry Onslow who was buried at Cranleigh, Surrey, 20 August 1667 (PR).