Sancha de Ayala ancestor Martin Flaínez and his ancestors

joe...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2017, 5:49:07 AM2/28/17
Martin Flaínez, who was killed in battle Uclés May 1108 was the son of Flaín Fernandez and Toda Fernandez.

As to Toda, the Spanish Language wikipedia gives the following note:

"hija del conde Fernando Díaz, bisnieto del conde Diego Muñoz de Saldaña, y de la condesa Elvira Sánchez"

The source provided is page 155 of "Salazar y Acha, Jaime de (1996-1997). «Los Osorio, un linaje de más de mil años al servicio de la corona». Anales de la Real Academia Matritense de Heráldica y Genealogía IV"

This work is partially online via Google Books, but unfortunately not this page.

Does anyone have any evidence of, or information about the link between Fernando Diaz and Diego Muñoz, first count of Saldaña?

Thank you,
Joe C

taf

Feb 28, 2017, 10:21:21 AM2/28/17
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 2:49:07 AM UTC-8, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Martin Flaínez, who was killed in battle Uclés May 1108 was the son of
> Flaín Fernandez and Toda Fernandez.
>
> As to Toda, the Spanish Language wikipedia gives the following note:
>
> "hija del conde Fernando Díaz, bisnieto del conde Diego Muñoz de Saldaña,
> y de la condesa Elvira Sánchez"
>
> The source provided is page 155 of "Salazar y Acha, Jaime de (1996-1997).
> «Los Osorio, un linaje de más de mil años al servicio de la corona».
> Anales de la Real Academia Matritense de Heráldica y Genealogía IV"

For Toda being daughter of Fernando Diaz, Salazar y Acha says:

"Su filiacion la sabemos por un documento de Sahagun por el que su madre, la condesa Elvira, dona diversos bienes que habe recibido en arras de su marido el conde Fernando Diaz, de que tienen por hija a domna Toda."

I am not familiar with 'arras', but this seemingly is reference to the same charter mentioned on MedLands in which Elvira Sanchez had received lands from her husband, Fernando Diaz, who was dead along with her children Sancho and Urraca, and that the property passed to her daughter Toda who gave it to her under condition that she grant it to the monastery, which she was then doing.
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SPANISH%20NOBILITY%20EARLY%20MEDIEVAL.htm#FernandoDiazdied1038MElviraSanchez

> Does anyone have any evidence of, or information about the link between
> Fernando Diaz and Diego Muñoz, first count of Saldaña?

The line would run as follows:

Diego Munoz m. Tigridia

Fernando Diaz m. Mansuara Fafilaz

Diego Fernandez de Carrion m. Marina

Fernando Diaz de Carrion m. Elvira Sanchez

I note that MedLands would also have Elvira Sanchez descend from Diego Munoz. There is a lot of nonsense about her out on the web, apparently tracing to an architectural history study that, based on nothing more than that she was a countess and important concluded that she was probably daughter of Count Sancho of Castile. However, Cawley identifies her with the known countess Elvira Sanchez who married rebel Fernando Pelaez. That Elvira was daughter of count Sancho Gomez (by Toda Garcia of Castile, sister of Count Sancho), son of Gomez Diaz (by Muniadomna Fernandez of Castile, aunt of Toda), son of Diego Munoz. Given that Sancho had a sister Urraca, the names of the children of Fernando DIaz and Elvira Sanchez, Sancho, Toda and Urraca, would all provide support for this connection.

In Salazar y Acha's study of Fernando Pelaez, he does not mention the remarriage of his widow, but does say that there is a Countess Elvira Sanchez who appears in the documents of Sahagun through 1059 who appears to be the rebel's widow, and that there was only one countess of this name at the time. This is clearly the same Elvira Sanchez he would later, in his Osorio paper, identify as widow of Fernando Diaz, but again, he never makes it explicit that the two are the same. It could be that over the intervening years he changed his mind as to who this countess was widow of, it could be that space just didn't permit him to go into detail, or it could be that h didn't even notice that he had talked about this woman in a different context previously. Since they named a daughter Urraca, I took a quick look at Salazar y Acha's paper on the name Urraca, but didn't find mention of Fernando Diaz and wife, but I could have missed it.

taf

taf

Feb 28, 2017, 1:00:08 PM2/28/17
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 7:21:21 AM UTC-8, taf wrote:

> I note that MedLands would also have Elvira Sanchez descend from
> Diego Munoz.

These aren't the only lines from Diego Munoz (the following only follows relevant lines, names in parentheses are family designators to help tracking):

1. Gonzalo Osoriz (Flainez/Osorio)
2. Osorio Martinez (Flainez/Osorio)
3. Constanza Fernandez
4. Martin Flainez (Flainez)
5. Sancha Fernandez*
6. Fernando Fernandez
7. Elvira Alfonso (Leon/Castile)
8. Flain Fernandez (Flainez)
9. Toda Fernandez (Saldana)
14. Alfonso VI (Leon/Castile)
15. Jimena Munoz
16. Fernando Flainez (Flainez)
17. Elvira Pelaez
18. Fernando Diaz (Saldana)
19. Elvira Sanchez (Saldana)
28. Fernando I (Pamplona/Castile)
29. Sancha Alfonso (Leon)
32. Flain Munoz (Flainez)
33. Justa Fernandez (Vela)
34. Pelayo Rodriguez
35. Gotina Fernandez (Vela)
36. Diego Fernandez (Saldana)
37. Marina
38. Sancho Gomez (Saldana)
39. Toda Garcia (Castile)
56. Sancho Garces III (Pamplona)
57. Munidomna Mayor Sanchez (Castile)
66. Fernando Vermudez (Vela)
67. Elvira Diaz (Saldana)
70. Fernando Vermudez (Vela)
71. Elvira Diaz (Saldana)
72. Fernando Diaz (Saldana)
73. Mansuara Fafilaz
76. Gomez Diaz (Saldana)
77. Muniadomna Fernandez (Castile)
112. Garcia Sanchez II (Pamplona)
113. Jimena Fernandez (Vela)
114. Sancho Garcia (Castile)
115. Urraca Gomez (Saldana)
134. Diego Munoz (Saldana)
135. Tigridia
142. Diego Munoz (Saldana)
143. Tigridia
144. Diego Munoz (Saldana)
145. Tigridia
152. Diego Munoz (Saldana)
153. Tigridia
226. Fernando Vermudez (Vela)
227. Elvira Diaz (Saldana)
230. Gomez Diaz (Saldana)
231. Muniadomna Fernandez (Castile)
454. Diego Munoz (Saldana)
455. Tigridia
460. Diego Munoz (Saldana)
461. Tigridia

* Sancha Fernandez was daughter of Tigridia Gutierrez, daughter of Gutierre Alfonso, son of count Alfonso Diaz. Several scholars have suggested that the latter was son of Diego Munoz and Tigridia, but I have my doubts - a generational alignment would seem to make Alfonso a contemporary of the grandchildren of Diego. A descent of some sort seems likely given the use of rare Banu Gomez names like Tigridia, but I think it more likely that Alfonso's wife Maria was a granddaughter.

taf