Catherine/Katherine Carter married Humphrey Jones

James L. Danley

Jul 9, 2007, 11:19:59 PM7/9/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Peter Carter (son of Capt. Thomas Carter & Katherine Dale) married at least
twice. His first wife, Catherine Rogers, is his first cousin (daughter of
William Rogers & Elizabeth Dale). Peter Carter also married Margaret (maiden
name unknown). Following Peter Carter's death, Margaret married Robert
Galbreath (Galbraith/Gilbreath/Gilbraith).

Now here are three abstracts from Ida J. Lee's book, "Abstracts Lancaster
County, Virginia, Wills -- 1653-1800."

1. "CARTER, PETER. Will (Of St. Mary's White Chappell) 5 Jul 1721.

Wife Margaret, son Aaron, daughter Catherine. Wife's son Moses, plantation I
now live on. Wife's daughter Margett. Extrs. Wife and his two brothers
Thomas and Henry Carter. Wits. Edwd. Harris, Jos. Carter and Ann Carter.
W.B.10, p. 332.

"Record 11 Aug. 1738. John Pollard appointe Gdn. Aaron Carter, orphan of
Peter Carter decd. W.B. 13, p. 106."

2. "CARTER, MOSES. Will 3 Jany. 1739. Rec. 11 Apl. 1740. Mother and two
sisters. Brother Aaron Carter, sister Kettren Carter. Wits. Wm. Tyler and
Ann Parrish. W.B. 13, p. 152.

"Inventory this estate and appraisal. Recd. 7 May 1740. Returned by Robt. &
Margaret Galbraith. W.B. 13, p. 161"

3. "GALBREATH, ROBERT. Will. 10 Oct. 1749. Rec. 9 March 1749.

Cousin, Richard Weir; Ezekiel Morris; Margaret Carter. Extr. Cousin Richard
Weir. Wits; Isaac White, Michael Dillon. B.B. 14, p. 274.

"Inventory of above, returned by Isaac White, admr. 11 May 1750. W.B. 14, p.
285.

"Suit. Isaac White, Pltf vs Katherine Jones, Defd. Robert Galbreath had made
a gift to his daughter-in-law Katherine Carter, since intermarried with
Humphrey Jones. Dated 29 Sept. 1753. Rec. 18 Jun 1753. W.B. 15, p. 139"

I have not seen the original documents, only these abstracts. But based on
the abstract of Peter Carter's will, it appears that Aaron Carter and
Catherine Carter are his children by his first wife, Catherine Rogers. And
that Moses Carter and Margaret Carter are his children by his wife,
Margaret. That's because Peter Carter specifically names Moses Carter and
"Margett" Carter as his wife's children. If Aaron Carter and Catherine
Carter were also Margaret's children, then why would Peter Carter make such
a distinction? (It is theoretically possible that Margaret had previously
married another Carter, thus making Moses Carter and Margaret Carter the
step-children of Peter Carter.)

Moses Carter does, however, name Aaron Carter and "Kettren" Carter as his
brother and sister. But I still believe they are actually his half-siblings.
(Again it is possible that they are actually step-siblings.)

Robert Galbreath names Catherine/Katherine Carter as his "daughter-in-law."
BUT it appears that Catherine/Katherine Carter is actually his wife's (the
widow Margaret Carter's) stepdaughter.

This stepdaughter, Catherine/Katherine Carter, is then married to Humphrey
Jones between 10 Oct 1749 -- when Robert Galbreath signs his will -- and 29
Sept. 1752 -- the date of the lawsuit between Isaac White and
Catherine/Katherine (Carter) Jones.

THIS COULD BE A VERY INTERESTING MARRIAGE.

Is this Humphrey Jones the son of Mary Dale? The grandson of Mary Dale? Or
not related at all?

We know that Mary Dale married (1) Daniel Harrison and (2) Humphrey Jones,
Sr. Humphrey Jones, Jr. was born before 11 Mar 1683 (date baptised). Since
Peter Carter was born 23 May 1688, that makes him and Humphrey Jones, Jr. in
the same generation. So I doubt (although not impossible) that HE married
Peter Carter's daughter. But I don't know whether Humphrey Jones, Jr. also
had a son named Humphrey Jones (III).

IF "Junior" does have a son named Humphrey Jones; and IF his son, "the
Third," IS the husband of Catherine/Katherine Carter, then these two would
be 2nd cousins. BUT more importantly, it would mean the granddaughter of
BOTH Katherine Dale and Elizabeth Dale married the grandson of Mary Dale.

I am seeking any information that might prove the identity of the Humphrey
Jones who married Catherine/Katherine Carter, the daughter of Peter Carter;
and granddaughter of both Katherine Dale and her sister Elizabeth Dale.

And would anyone know how, if at all, Isaac White, might be related to
Robert Galbreath (various spellings)?

WJhonson

Jul 10, 2007, 7:08:02 PM7/10/07
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
That's interesting.
Just doing a sweep for "Humphrey Jones in Virginia" I get this

Peggy, daughter, born 25 Dec 1743 bap 22 Jan 1743[/4]
Parents: Humphrey Jones and Catherine Jones
Christ Church Parish

Will Johnson

WJhonson

Jul 10, 2007, 7:11:17 PM7/10/07
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
I seem to recall from an earlier thread that that Humphrey Jones who married Mary Dale died "bef 3 Feb 1684/5"

Here is something a little more exact
Christ Church Parish Deaths
Mr Humphrey Jones 16 Oct 1684
buried 20 Oct 1684

Will Johnson

WJhonson

Jul 10, 2007, 8:37:11 PM7/10/07
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Thomas Carter married Katherine Dale 4 May 1670

The Peter Carter to which this post refers is their son born 23 May 1688

Do you have something else ?

Will Johnson

James L. Danley

Jul 10, 2007, 11:31:41 PM7/10/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Mr. Redfield,

My sources are as follows.

Capt. Thomas Carter's Prayer Book contains the following: "Peter Carter was
mard ye 23 Sept 1712 to Kathe Rogers dau to --- Wm Rogers."

Then John Bennett Boddie, in his book "Historical Southern Families," Vol.
XX, pgs. 20 & 21, writes:

"Peter Carter married three times. His first wife was his first cousin,
Catherine Rogers, daugher of Elizabeth Dale Rogers, to whom he was married
Sept. 23, 1712. His last wife was named Margaret. Nothing is known of the
second wife, and it is merely legend that he married another time."

Jim Danley

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 11, 2007, 10:13:25 AM7/11/07
to redfieldr...@yahoo.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Everyone:

I have researched this family for about 40 years or more, mostly in the
Northumberland and Lancaster County courthouses and in the Northumberland
County Historical Society offices. In addition, there is a book that was written
by the late, Dr. James Motley Booker, who was one of the founders of the
Northumberland Historical Society, on his ancestry. As he was a descendant of the
Rogers family, he did a great deal of research on this family and has the
children of William Rogers and Elizabeth Dale as follows, according to their
births:

William, married twice, died in Lancaster County, VA, leaving issue.
John, died in 1752 in Lancaster County, VA, leaving issue.
Hannah, married thrice and died in Lancaster County, VA, around 1740, leaving
issue.
Eleanor, married twice, died in 1718 in Lancaster County, VA, leaving issue.
Edward, born around 1705 in Lancaster County, died in 1755 in Northumberland
County (My ancestor and also ancestor of Dr. Booker).
George, moved to Prince William County.
Joseph, moved to Culpeper County and left issue.

Richard Rogers was the brother of William Rogers, husband of Elizabeth
Dale. This Richard Rogers was married to Jane Presley and died in 1697 and left
issue. I have found no record of William Rogers and Elizabeth Dale having a
child named Richard, so of you have information on this, I would appreciate
seeing it.

Joan Burdyck

**************************************
See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

paju...@bellsouth.net

Jul 11, 2007, 7:43:42 PM7/11/07
to Joema...@aol.com, redfieldr...@yahoo.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
May I ask who were the parents of the Jane Presley you have listed below?
Pat

WJhonson

Jul 11, 2007, 11:41:41 PM7/11/07
to Joemaryjoa, redfieldr...@yahoo.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
You state that William Rogers, the son of William Rogers by Katherine Dale, married twice and had issue.

Do you have a list *of* his issue with their dates?
It is, just barely, but still, possible that that "Kathe" Rogers who married Peter Carter in 1712 was not daughter, but rather *grand* daughter of William Rogers and Katherine Dale.

Thanks
Will Johnson

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2007, 8:55:07 AM7/12/07
to WJho...@aol.com, redfieldr...@yahoo.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Will:

I am sorry that I don't have the information on the descendants of
William Rogers, son of William and Elizabeth Dale Rogers. Since this William was
not my ancestor, I didn't research his descendants, nor have I had contact with
anyone who claims descent from him. I checked Dr. Booker's book and he has
no information on William's descendants. I think that there is a very good
possibility that the father of Catherine, was William, son of William and
Elizabeth. They were of the same social class and that was very, very important in
Virginia in this time period. Sorry, that I cannot provide proof to my theory.

Joan

**************************************
Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL at

James L. Danley

Jul 12, 2007, 10:46:17 AM7/12/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Dear Will,

Mayor Jay Berry Price, in his book "The Price, Blakemore, Hamblen, Skipwith
and Allied Lines," on pg. 51, writes:

"The William Rogers who was ordered to appear in Court was the eldest son of
William and Elizabeth (Dale) Rogers. He died in 1728 leaving a will which
named his five children and his brother George Rogers."

Ida J. Lee in her book, "Abstracts Lancaster County, Virginia, Wills
1653-1800," has the following abstracts:

"ROGERS, WM., of St. Mary's White Chappell Parish. 29 Apr 1728. Rec. 14
Jun 1728.
Wife: Elizabeth. Sons: Jno., Wm., Rich'd. Daus: Elizabeth and Anne.
Exors: Wife and brother, Geo. Rogers. Wits: Jno. Rogers, Bryan Pullen and
Chas. Sanford. W.B. 12, p. 54.

"Inv. returned by Eliza Rogers & George Rogers, Exors. 10 Jul 1725. W.B.
12, p. 65."

"ROGERS, ELIZ. widow of Wm. R. of White Chappell. 17 Sept. 1728. Rec. 13
Nov 1728.
Sons: Wm. Dodson. Dau: Ann Rogers. Others. Thos, Robt, and Reuben Young,
Chas. Dodson. Exor: son Thos. Young. Wits: Abraham Dale, Jos. Rogers and
Jno. Roach. W.B. 12, p. 76."
_____

Mayor Price, includes the will of Eleanor Conway on page 63 of his book.
Here are two excerpts (emphasis is mine):

"Itm I will & ordain yt (that) mh brother in Law Edwd. Blackmore & my
Sister Hannah shall have my son ISAAC WHITE my Son Josias Conway & my
daugher Winifred Conway & their Estate my said Children to be brought up by
them untill by Law they are at age

"Itm I will & ordain that my Bro. Wm. Rogers & Margt his wife shall have my
daughter Eliza Conway & my Son Lazarus Conway wth their Estates."

Based on the above information, I have that William Rogers (son of William
Rogers & Elizabeth Dale) married 1st Margaret (maiden name unknown) and then
Elizabeth (one source has her as DALE, the daughter of Reuben Dale &
Elizabeth Simmonds).

The children of William Rogers and his 1st wife, Margaret, are: John,
William, Richard and Elizabeth Rogers.

The child of William Rogers and his 2nd wife, Elizabeth, is Anne Rogers.
[NOTE: Elizabeth, married (1) a YOUNG (possibly Thomas Young); (2) William
Dodson; (3) William Rogers. Her children are: Thomas, Robert and Reuben
Young; William and Charles Dodson; and Anne Rogers.]

Furthermore, I found my connection to ISAAC WHITE. He is the son of Eleanor
Rogers (daughter of William Rogers & Elizabeth Dale) and Thomas White. That
would make him the 1st & 2nd cousin of Catherine/Katherine Carter who
married Humphrey Jones.

Jim Danley

James L. Danley

Jul 12, 2007, 2:15:10 PM7/12/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Dear Will,

Sorry for not including the dates. Eleanor (Rogers) Conway's will was dated
8 May 1718 and proven 9 Jul 1718. Lancaster Co., VA, W.B. 10, pg. 265.

Eleanor Rogers' first husband was Thomas White. He died in 1711. Ida J.
Lee's will abstract has:

"WHITE, THOMAS. 9 May 1711. Rec. 2 Nov. 1711.
Elinor White, his then wife, appointed Extrx. W.B. 10, p. 3."

Lazarus Conway [Source: Mayor Jay Berry Price] was Eleanor (Dale) White's
2nd husband. I don't have a specific date of their marriage. But since she
carried the name "Elinor White" on 2 Nov 1711, and she died in 1718,
survived by 4 CONWAY children (Josias, Winifred, Elizabeth and Lazarus
Conway), she must have remarried in 1712-1713.

Jim Danley

paju...@bellsouth.net

Jul 12, 2007, 9:11:05 PM7/12/07
to James L. Danley, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
A clarification of timeframe: William and Richard?
Jane Presley was the daugter of Peter Presley Sr. and Elizabeth Thompson (d/o Richard Thompson and Ursula Bysshe Thompson Morrtom Colclough). She was born 29 June 1664. She married first Richard Rogers and then Christopher Neale. "21 Sept. 1709 - Christopher Neale, Gentleman(,) and Jane his wife, late Jane Rogers, widow of Richard Rogers, Gent., dec'd., AND ONE OF THE DAUGHTERS OF PETER PRESLY, Sr., GENT, late dec'd, of St. Stephen's Parish - "

The following information comes from the research notes of Alice Algood who has written a book on Ursula Bysshe and her descendants.

Richard Rogers and Jane Presly Rogers had four children who were named in
Richard's Will. They were,
Jane, born 12 April 1686 (St. Stephens Register)
Richard, born circa 1688-90
John b.c. 1693, (This could be the John listed below or a younger son)
Hannah, b.c. 1695.

>From the above parish register, it would appear that Richard was married
previous to Jane Presly and had
John, chr. 18 Dec. 1676 , son to Richard
William, chr. 12 February 1679, son to Richard.

Could this be the William to whom you refer, Joan?? From the time frame it
you list below ,would appear that it was.
Hope this helps,
Alice Algood

> From: "James L. Danley" <jlda...@sbcglobal.net>
> Date: 2007/07/12 Thu AM 10:46:17 EDT
> To: <GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com>
> Subject: Re: Catherine/Katherine Carter married Humphrey Jones

WJhonson

Jul 12, 2007, 9:20:31 PM7/12/07
to paju...@bellsouth.net, James L. Danley, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
I don't think it's going to be possible to have a wife Jane Presly born 29 Jun 1664 giving birth to a son "John son of Richard Rogers" on 18 Dec 1676

So I'd suggest that this Richard Rogers has a prior unstated wife and then married Jane after these two births so sometime between 1679 and 1690ish.

Will Johnson

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 10:48:32 AM7/13/07
to paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Everyone:

See below.

In a message dated 7/12/2007 9:12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
paju...@bellsouth.net writes:

> A clarification of timeframe: William and Richard?
> Jane Presley was the daugter of Peter Presley Sr. and Elizabeth Thompson
> (d/o Richard Thompson and Ursula Bysshe Thompson Morrtom Colclough). She was
> born 29 June 1664. She married first Richard Rogers and then Christopher Neale.
> "21 Sept. 1709 - Christopher Neale, Gentleman(,) and Jane his wife, late
> Jane Rogers, widow of Richard Rogers, Gent., dec'd., AND ONE OF THE DAUGHTERS OF
> PETER PRESLY, Sr., GENT, late dec'd, of St. Stephen's Parish - "

This Jane Presley was the wife of Richard Rogers, brother of the
William Rogers that married Elizabeth Dale. Richard and William were sons of John
Rogers, Gentleman, of Northumberland County and his first wife, Ellen. Richard
Rogers died about 1697. Jane appears to have been Richard's only wife.

> The following information comes from the research notes of Alice Algood who
> has written a book on Ursula Bysshe and her descendants.
>
> Richard Rogers and Jane Presly Rogers had four children who were named in
> Richard's Will. They were,
> Jane, born 12 April 1686 (St. Stephens Register)
> Richard, born circa 1688-90
> John b.c. 1693, (This could be the John listed below or a younger son)
> Hannah, b.c. 1695.
>
> >From the above parish register, it would appear that Richard was married
> previous to Jane Presly and had
> John, chr. 18 Dec. 1676 , son to Richard
> William, chr. 12 February 1679, son to Richard.

This William may have died young, which was not unusual.

> Could this be the William to whom you refer, Joan?? From the time frame it
> you list below ,would appear that it was.

Something that needs to be remembered is that repeatedly members of a
family would name their children for their parents, brothers and sisters and
aunts and uncles. So, in one generation, say four brothers would each have a
child named John or Richard or say William. We see that William Rogers (husband
of Elizabeth Dale) had a son William (who also had a son William) and also
Richard Rogers (brother of William, husband of Elizabeth) had a son William. So,
we know that William (husband of Elizabeth Dale) and their son, William were
not the parents of Catherine Rogers who married Peter Carter. The son,
William of Richard Rogers, appears to have died young. So, the William Rogers,
father of Catherine is still a mystery.

Joan Burdyck

> Hope this helps,
> Alice Algood
>

> >From: "James L. Danley" <jlda...@sbcglobal.net>
> >Date: 2007/07/12 Thu AM 10:46:17 EDT
> >To: <GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com>
> >Subject: Re: Catherine/Katherine Carter married Humphrey Jones
> >
> >Dear Will,
> >
> >Mayor Jay Berry Price, in his book "The Price, Blakemore, Hamblen, Skipwith
>
> >and Allied Lines," on pg. 51, writes:
> >
> >"The William Rogers who was ordered to appear in Court was the eldest son
> of
> >William and Elizabeth (Dale) Rogers. He died in 1728 leaving a will which
> >named his five children and his brother George Rogers."
> >
> >Ida J. Lee in her book, "Abstracts Lancaster County, Virginia, Wills
> >1653-1800," has the following abstracts:
> >
> >"ROGERS, WM., of St. Mary's White Chappell Parish. 29 Apr 1728. Rec. 14
> >Jun 1728.
> >Wife: Elizabeth. Sons: Jno., Wm., Rich'd. Daus: Elizabeth and Anne.
> >Exors: Wife and brother, Geo. Rogers. Wits: Jno. Rogers, Bryan Pullen and
> >Chas. Sanford. W.B. 12, p. 54.
> >

> >"Inv. returned by Eliza Rogers &George Rogers, Exors. 10 Jul 1725. W.B.

> >12, p. 65."
> >

> >"ROGERS, ELIZ. widow of Wm. R. of White Chappell. 17 Sept. 1728. Rec. 13
> >Nov 1728.
> >Sons: Wm. Dodson. Dau: Ann Rogers. Others. Thos, Robt, and Reuben Young,
> >Chas. Dodson. Exor: son Thos. Young. Wits: Abraham Dale, Jos. Rogers and
> >Jno. Roach. W.B. 12, p. 76."
> >_____
> >
> >Mayor Price, includes the will of Eleanor Conway on page 63 of his book.
> >Here are two excerpts (emphasis is mine):

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 10:49:59 AM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Everyone:
In a message dated 7/12/2007 9:21:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wjho...@aol.com writes:

Well, you would think that would be the logically answer. But,
unfortunately, it was not unusual for a girl to be married by the age of 12 and a
mother by that age also in this time period in Northumberland County. As an
example of this, my ancestor, Jean Parker was 11 years old when she became pregnant
with her only child, Jane Pickering. Also, as I remember, at least one
member of the Wildy family of Northumberland County was married by 11 or 12. Just
of hand, without checking, I believe her name was Jane. I spoke to Preston
Haynie, one of the directors of the Northumberland County Historical Society
about this, he told me that this was not unusual. Today, this would be
unthinkable, but not then. If Richard had a wife before Jane, there is no record to
this fact.

Joan Burdyck

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:09:49 PM7/13/07
to Joemaryjoa, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 07:49:45 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
Richard
Rogers died about 1697. Jane appears to have been Richard's only wife. >>

If you're going to claim that Jane was Richard's only wife, then maybe you could explain how Jane was born 29 Jan 1664 and yet "John son of Richard" was baptised 18 Dec 1676

She would have been impregnated at the age of 12.

Will Johnson

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:13:44 PM7/13/07
to Joemaryjoa, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 07:49:45 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
We see that William Rogers (husband
of Elizabeth Dale) had a son William (who also had a son William) and also
Richard Rogers (brother of William, husband of Elizabeth) had a son William. So,
we know that William (husband of Elizabeth Dale) and their son, William were
not the parents of Catherine Rogers who married Peter Carter. The son,
William of Richard Rogers, appears to have died young. So, the William Rogers,
father of Catherine is still a mystery. >>

You should correct the above to say "We know NEITHER that William (husband of Elizabeth Dale) NOR their son William, NOR his first cousin William were the parents of Catherine...."

We simply know that Kathe Rogers is called daughter of William Rogers.

So far I've seen no documentation that she could not be the daughter of Elizabeth Dale. I've seen a lot of people making one *claim* or another, without any documentation. But I haven't seen the documentation.

Will Johnson

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:19:15 PM7/13/07
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 07:49:59 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
Well, you would think that would be the logically answer. But, unfortunately, it was not unusual for a girl to be married by the age of 12 and a mother by that age also in this time period in Northumberland County.>>

There's one thing to be "betrothed" or "committed" or even have a marriage settlement or bond at the age of 12 or younger. We all know that there are examples in the royalty and not-so-much-royalty of this. That however is quite different from having sex at the age of 12, and getting pregnant at that age.

It would have been considered quite remarkable, imho, for that to occur. So you can keep making claims without support, or you can provide some support for your claims, in the way of hard documentation.

Will Johnson

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 3:21:29 PM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Will:

     You missed it.  That was not unusual in Northumberland County in that
time period.  It happened.  I know that it doesn't sound right, but it did
happen.

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:23:15 PM7/13/07
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 12:21:29 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
You missed it. That was not unusual in Northumberland County in that time period. It happened. I know that it doesn't sound right, but it did happen.>>

Joan please provide the documentation that proves this statement.

Will Johnson

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 3:25:29 PM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Will:

Well, show us documentation that she is a daughter of Elizabeth Dale and
William Rogers. Go and sit for hours in the Northumberland and Lancaster
County courthouses like I have done and see if you can find any information to
prove that Catherine is a daughter of Elizabeth Dale and William Rogers. It's
not there.

Joan

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:28:59 PM7/13/07
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 12:25:29 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
Well, show us documentation that she is a daughter of Elizabeth Dale and William Rogers. Go and sit for hours in the Northumberland and Lancaster County courthouses like I have done and see if you can find any information to prove that Catherine is a daughter of Elizabeth Dale and William Rogers. It's not there.>>

I didn't say she IS
I said your statement that she is NOT is overstating what we know and don't know.

We know that Kathe Rogers is called daughter of William Rogers, the documentation has been presented. We're still waiting for the documentation from you that proves who all the children of each William Rogers were and weren't.

Got anything useful on that topic?

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 3:33:48 PM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Will:

Married, living as husband and wife, not committed and not betrothed. I
think that you need to contact the person that I think is the leading
authority on Northumberland County history and genealogy, Mr. Preston Haynie at the
Northumberland County Historical Society. He will be able to educate you on
the customs of Northumberland County.

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:36:40 PM7/13/07
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 12:33:48 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
Married, living as husband and wife, not committed and not betrothed. I think that you need to contact the person that I think is the leading authority on Northumberland County history and genealogy, Mr. Preston Haynie at the Northumberland County Historical Society. He will be able to educate you on the customs of Northumberland County. >>

"Appeal to authority" doesn't work on me sorry.
I work with hard documentation. I accept as authorities only a very few voices as all people should. When you're ready to play in the big leagues Joan come back. Until then your repeated ridiculous assertions are just that.

Thank you for your time.
Will Johnson

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 3:42:06 PM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Will:

I think that you need to do your own research. My research papers are
all in storage, but when I get a chance, I will pull the information out and
present the documentation to you. The people in Northumberland and Lancaster
counties lived on an isolated peninsula, which is called the Northern Neck. It
was not unusual for a person to be married many times. They ran out of wives.
What is not acceptable today was acceptable then. Pull out any abstracts
from Beverly Fleet's books. Don't only look at births, look at wills and deeds.
Go to the Northumberland courthouse and pull out a record book and sit down
and read it. You will really get an education.

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 3:46:31 PM7/13/07
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 12:42:06 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
My research papers are all in storage,>>

And here we have the kicker.
I think we're all done here folks
Nothing to see, move along.

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 3:53:04 PM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Will,

I am not going to argue with you. Northumberland County is a subject
that you appear not be very versed on. As I said, my research papers are in
storage and I will check on the information when I can. Believe me, I can prove
that some females were married by 12 in Northumberland County in this time
frame. Believe it or not, it happened.

As for playing in the big leagues, which I never, ever said that I was,
I think that you might be interested to know that 10 years ago, I was offered
a position with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation to conduct genealogy
research for them. I did not apply for the position, they approached me.

So, as I will be attending my late uncle's funeral service tomorrow, I
have more important things to do right now.

Joan

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2007, 3:57:15 PM7/13/07
to WJho...@aol.com, paju...@bellsouth.net, jlda...@sbcglobal.net, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Will:

You need to stop being so nasty and to at least consider that you might
not be an authority on a place that you have never been and the customs of the
people that lived there. You need to keep an open mind

WJhonson

Jul 13, 2007, 4:06:48 PM7/13/07
<<In a message dated 07/13/07 12:57:15 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa writes:
You need to stop being so nasty and to at least consider that you might not be an authority on a place that you have never been and the customs of the people that lived there. You need to keep an open mind>>
This nasty exchange started when you started insisting that we have to listen to some authority figure instead of actually seeing the documentation.

THAT my dear is how hundreds of years of bad genealogy get started and it's not going to pass my eye without a comment or two [dozen]. The more you resist my dictum the more beastly I shall become.

As for your authority on Northumberland, I flick my nose at him.

As for your supposed almost-recruitment, it's probably a good thing as now all their hard-paid-for research would "be in storage" and then where would they be the poor things?

Now that you have figured out how to use a computer perhaps you'll mend your ways and store your research online ?

Will Johnson

Joema...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2007, 4:03:39 PM7/14/07
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hi Everyone:

In a message dated 7/13/2007 4:07:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, WJhonson
writes:

> <<In a message dated 07/13/07 12:57:15 Pacific Standard Time, Joemaryjoa
> writes:
>
> >> You need to stop being so nasty and to at least consider that you might
>> not be an authority on a place that you have never been and the customs of
>> the people that lived there.  You need to keep an open mind>>
>>
> This nasty exchange started when you started insisting that we have to
> listen to some authority figure instead of actually seeing the documentation.

     I told you that I have the documentation and you will see it!!

> THAT my dear is how hundreds of years of bad genealogy get started and it's
> not going to pass my eye without a comment or two [dozen].  The more you
> resist my dictum the more beastly I shall become.
>
> As for your authority on Northumberland, I flick my nose at him.

     Well, since you don't know him or his work that it up to you.  But,
there are thousands of people that know of him and his work.  Oh, he has written
several books with an extremely large amount of documentation.  He is also the
editor of the Northumberland County Historical Society yearly bulletin, which
is a magazine of history and genealogy in Virginia. What books have you
written?  You can flick your nose at him, that is your business, but that seems
pretty stupid when he is so respected for his work and you don't know anything
about him obviously.  Don't make a comment about someone or something that you
are not an authority on.  He doesn't need a website or to call himself a
professional genealogist.

> As for your supposed almost-recruitment, it's probably a good thing as now
> all their hard-paid-for research would "be in storage" and then where would
> they be the poor things?

     My work for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation was to be done at their
offices.  You don't know anything about me, but they did.  Get over
yourself.  As far as my research being in storage is concerned, is due to the fact that
our family moved from Virginia to Maryland.  I don't keep everything in my
computer.  So, my husband pulled it out from under piles of boxes.

> Now that you have figured out how to use a computer perhaps you'll mend your
> ways and store your research online ?

     Well, I have been using a computer for a long, long time.  Why should I
store my information online?  There is no need.  I'm not out to impress
anyone.  I was just contributing the information that I had to the newsgroup.  Oh,
and I have worked with several members of this newsgroup and I don't believe
that they had any problem with the research and documentation that I supplied to
them.

     I have the proof ready as you rudely requested.  It will be posted soon.

                                  Joan Burdyck