Montgomery of Cubley Part 3

Rosie Bevan

Nov 24, 2002, 6:50:27 PM11/24/02
12. SIR NICHOLAS DE MONTGOMERY II. Son and heir of the above. Married to
Joan dau. of Sir Nicholas Longford (d. 1401) of Longford, Derbyshire and
his wife Margaret Sulney. In 1391 their marriage contract was drawn up
whereby Sir Nicholas Montgomery I agreed to support Joan for four years
after her marriage (suggesting she was aged about 8 at the time) and to pay
the couple an annuity of 20 marks for life. Sir Nicholas Longford paid a
dowry of £153 and agreed to obtain the necessary papal dispensation (granted
on 7 Mar 1392) because the couple were doubly related in the fourth degree
of consanguinity. [J.S.Roskell (ed), The House of Commons 1386-1421, v.3
p.760/2 ; Calendar of Papal Registers : Papal Letters, v.4, p.442]. His
brothers-in-law Sir Henry Pierrepont (husband of Ellen Longford) and John
Curson (husband of his sister Margaret) acted as feoffees with John Pole, of
the manor and advowson of Cubley in 1434 [H.J.H Garratt (ed), Derbyshire
Feet of Fines 1323-1546; 1086]. First appearing on local commissions in
1414, he was Constable of Tutbury in 1418 and, named as Nicholas Montgomery
'the younger', was Commissioner of the Peace for Derbyshire and
Staffordshire between 1419 and 1424. [CPR Hen V 2:451, 459, 569]. As
Nicholas Montgomery, "le filz,' he was indentured to king Henry V in April
1415 to serve for one year with a retinue of 3 men at arms and nine foot
archers in the invasion of France. As Constable of Tutbury he was briefly
given the custody of Charles Duke of Bourbon who had been captured at the
battle of Agincourt in 1415. On 9 Dec 1419 on the king's order he exchanged
prisoners with Robert Waterton and undertook the custody of the Duke of
Orleans [PRO E101/69/5/424; E30/398]. He was master forester of Needwood
Chase, Staffs. 15 Feb. 1414 ; steward of the lordship of Tutbury 24 Nov
1416-Oct 1422, and the duchy manors of Melbourne by 28 June 1420 and
Wirksworth, Derbys. by 28 Jan 1428. He was a JP for Derbys. 8 July 1419-23
and Sheriff for Staffs. 5 Nov 1430-26 Nov 1431, for Notts. and Derbys. 26
Nov 1431-5 Nov 1432. [J.S.Roskell (ed), The House of Commons 1386-1421, v.3
p.762 ; Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.254]. He
died in 1435 - evidence of the date given by Elias Ashmole, circa 1660, who
noted in Cubley Church the inscription on a tomb "Hic jacet Dns Nicholas
Montgomerie miles qui obit 27 Martii 1435" [Charles Cox, Churches of
Derbyshire, v.3 p. 98]. Joan his wife was still living in 1436 when as a
widow she was assessed scutage at £26 for lands in Derbyshire, and in 1442
when she recovered a third of two parts of the manors of Snelston, Sudbury
and Marston Montgomery as dower in a suit against her son Nicholas
Montgomery [William Salt v.17 p.151].

Issue
-Nicholas. See below.

13. NICHOLAS DE MONTGOMERY III. Born about 1404, he was of age at the death
of his father succeeding to a reduced patrimony owing to the claims of two
widows on the Montgomery estates. In 1436 he assessed for scutage at £44 in
Derbyshire, and in 1437 he presented to the living of Cubley. In 1434 the
manor of Cubley had been settled as a joint estate and he was probably
married by this time. Whether this was the same marriage to Isabella Vernon
of Haddon, mother of Nicholas IV born about 1449 according to the
inquisition post mortem of Nicholas III in 1465, is not clear [Susan Wright,
Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century p.39, 161]. It is likely that
Nicholas was married to Isabella by 1447 when he witnessed a grant by Sir
Richard Vernon to his son John Vernon all his lands in Trusley [I.H.Jeayes,
Descriptive Catalogue of Derbyshire Charters (London, 1906), 2394].
However, Cox states that Nicholas was nine years old in 1468 when trustees
to the Montgomery estate, William Comberford, Henry Pole and Robert Hyll,
presented to Cubley church [Charles Cox, Churches of Derbyshire, v. 3 p.94].
William Comberford, the lawyer also acted as executor and feoffee to Sir
William Vernon d.1468 possibly brother of Isabella. In 1472 Isabella was
described as mother of Nicholas IV in a dispute between Nicholas Montgomery
esq and Nicholas Agard of Sudbury and Isabel, respecting title to the manors
of Sudbury and Astone and lands in Makkeley-Campion, Okkes,
Potter-Somersall, Waddeley, Somersall Herbert and Snelston, and Leigh.
Isabella was named as a Vernon in a papal dispensation granted on 22 April
1475 which had been obtained because her husband Nicholas Agard of Newburgh,
Staffordshire, was related in the second degree to her former husband
Nicholas "Mongoberi". At that time they were stated to have lived together
for seven years. [Calendar of Papal Letters 1471-1484, v.XIII part 1 1955 p.
404]. Nicholas Montgomery died in 1465 and his inquisition post mortem for
Derbyshire in 5 Edw IV revealed he was holding the manors of Cubley,
Sudbury, Marston, and Roddesley with lands and tenements in Mackley,
Hartington, Rollesley, Seymore, Flaghouse, Ashbourne, Hollington, Derby,
Wyaston, Haddon, and Elaston.
Issue of Nicholas

- Nicholas. See below
- Elizabeth. Married to Thomas Meverell of Staffs. by 1470 [Susan Wright,
Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.211, 216 ; I.H.Jeayes,
Descriptive Catalogue of Derbyshire Charters (London, 1906), 2021]. Her
nephew Sir John Montgomery acted as a feoffee of jointure land for George
her son, on his marriage with Joan Babington [CIPM Hen VII, v.2 no.628].

14.SIR NICHOLAS IV DE MONTGOMERY. Born in 1449, son and heir of Nicholas III
by Isabella Vernon. He was married to Joan Delves, dau. of Sir John Delves
and Elena Egerton who were given a dispensation to marry in 1439 [Susan
Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.228 citing PRO
C142/28/121; George Ormerod, The History of the County Palatine and City of
Chester, v.2, p.628]. Cox unaware of the Delves marriage, describing the
arrangement of the Delves/Montgomery heraldry in Cubley church, suggested
that Joan was widow of a Hundscot [Charles Cox, Derbyshire Churches, v.3,
p.100]. On 25 October 1481 Nicholas contracted to become an indentured
retainer of William Lord Hastings for life as had been his step-father
Nicholas Agard since 1474. [William Dunham, "Lord Hastings' Indentured
Retainers 1461-1483", Transactions of The Connecticut Academy of Arts and
Sciences, v. 39 p.120]. In 1484 he was Sheriff of Derbyshire and in 1485
acted as an arbitrator in a dispute between Elena Delves, widow of Sir John
Delves, and Ralph Delves her son of Doddington, Cheshire [CCR 1476-1485 no.
1455]. He was summoned to be knighted on the coronation of Edward V in 1483,
which never took place. He was, however, knighted on 29 November 1489 on the
creation of Prince Arthur as Prince of Wales [William Shaw, Knights of
England, v.1 p. 140, 143]. A memorial inscription on Sir Nicholas and Joan's
tomb was described by Glover in the 1600s - "Hic jacet Nicholas Montgomery
miles et Johanna uxor ejus, qui quidem Nichus obiit 3 die Aug. 1494". Around
this tomb were the figures of four sons and four daughters whose arms and
marriages have been well documented [Charles Cox, Churches of Derbyshire, v.
3 p. 98, 100].
Issue of Sir Nicholas and Isabella Vernon

- John. See below
- Ralph d.s.p. 1517 heir of his brother under entail of estates.
- Thomas d.s.p.
- Walter d.s.p.
- Isabella. Married to Henry Sacheveral of Morley, Hopwell and Snitterton,
Derbyshire [Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.216]
- Margaret. Married to John Kniveton of Mercaston [Susan Wright, Derbyshire
Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.216, 226 citing CIPM Hen VII, ii, 542]]
- Anne. Married (1)to Lewis Bagot, (2) John Agard [Susan Wright, Derbyshire
Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.216; Cox, Derbyshire Churches, v.2, p.22]
- Katherine. Married to William Bowden [Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in
the Fifteenth Century, p.216]

15. SIR JOHN DE MONTGOMERY. Married to Elizabeth, dau. of Sir Thomas Gresley
and Anne Ferrers. He was amongst those knighted at the battle of Blackheath
in 1497 [William Shaw, The knights of England, v.2 p.29]. In 1505 he was
entrusted with William Blount, lord Mountjoye with the keeping of Hampnes
Castle in France.
[CCR v 11 Henry VII 1500-1509 ; no.226]. In 1508 and 1513 in his will he
made provision of property for his two younger brothers as it was apparent
that he would leave no male heir. His feoffees included Sir John Aston,
Henry Sacheveral, Ralph Delves, William and John Gresley and Ralph Leeke. He
died in 1513 and his male heir under entail of the estates was his brother
Ralph. Elizabeth remarried Sir John Giffard of Chillington and in 1515 they
brought a suit against Ralph Montgomery for the next presentation to Cubley
church. During the suit evidence was given that Sir John Montgomery had
enfeoffed Edward, Lord Hastings and others in the manor and the feoffees had
regranted to Sir John and Eliz his wife and heirs male of the body of Sir
John. Eliz claimed to hold Cubley and the advowson for her life. The verdict
was in favour of Elizabeth and Sir John Giffard. A pedigree was given with
the suit showing the Montgomery succession i.e. Walter - Nicholas I -
Nicholas II - Nicholas III - Nicholas IV - John [The Genealogist v.20
p.161]. Ralph died without issue in 1517 leaving his nieces, Sir John's
daughters, as coheirs. [Susan Wright. Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth
Century, p.242 citing C142/28/121]
Issue of Sir John and Elizabeth Gresley

- Ellen. Married Sir John Vernon [Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in the
Fifteenth Century, p.216 citing PRO C142/33/63].
- Anne. Married John Browne of Snelston [Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in
the Fifteenth Century, p.216 citing PRO C142/33/63].
- Dorothy. Married Sir Thomas Giffard of Chillington, Staffs. [Susan Wright,
Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.216 citing PRO C142/33/63].

UNPLACED MEMBERS OF THE MONTGOMERY FAMILY
Peter and Walter Montgomery, and Ralph his son and Ralph Montgomery
witnessed a charter of grant by William Earl Ferrers of the manor of Wodham
to Maurice nephew of Robert de Luvitot between 1161-1182 [J.P.Yeatman, A
Feudal History of the County of Derby, v.1 section II, p. 289]

Robert Montgomery and son Walter and daughters Emelina married to Robert fil
Robert de Grendon, and Lucy c.1230. Walter's wife was Juliana. [I.H.Jeayes,
Descriptive Catalogue of Derbyshire Charters (London, 1906), no. 1390 ; A
Saltman, The Cartulary of Tutbury Priory, (HMSO, 1962), no.254]

Roger witnessed a charter of Walter de Montgomery in 1281

Ralph witnessed deed of settlement on Walter de Montgomery in 1355

Nicholas witnessed deed of settlement on Walter de Montgomery in 1341

Nicholas, clerk. feoffee for Walter Walker in 1407.

Geoffrey witnessed undated deed of settlement on Walter de Montgomery

William fl.1432 son of Thomas of Culland fl 1383
Katherine, daughter of Thomas son of Thomas Montgomery of Culland, married
Robert Shaw in 1447 [Wright. Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century,
p.230].

Bartholomew Montgomery of Gotham, Notts. in 1398 witnessed charters of
Thomas Neville, Lord Furnival [Nottinghamshire Archives DD/FJ/1/64/131]

Rosie Bevan

ADRIANC...@aol.com

Nov 25, 2002, 6:24:01 PM11/25/02
Rosie,

Excellent post on the Montgomery of Cubley family.

> - Ellen. Married Sir John Vernon [Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in the
> Fifteenth Century, p.216 citing PRO C142/33/63].
> - Anne. Married John Browne of Snelston [Susan Wright, Derbyshire Gentry in
> the Fifteenth Century, p.216 citing PRO C142/33/63].
> - Dorothy. Married Sir Thomas Giffard of Chillington, Staffs. [Susan
> Wright,
> Derbyshire Gentry in the Fifteenth Century, p.216 citing PRO C142/33/63].

This John Browne of Snelston was a son of William Browne (1467-1514), mayor
of London in 1513, by his second wife Alice Kebyll.

JOHN BROWNE (-29 Sep 1569 Will pr 1570 where he names nphw JOHN
PORTER and cuzs Thomasine Harryson and THOMAS BEAL; to be
bur St Alban's Wood St, Cripplegate Ward); Mercer; Of London;
Shops in Hart St, St Olave; Of Reynold's Place, Horton,
Kent; Cubley, Derby; Stretton-en-le-field and others; In
1567 cr Master of Mint following death of HASTINGS Er
HUNTINGDON; In 1567/8 sheriff of Kent; m1 Alice d of THOMAS
BALDRYS; m2 c1523 Anne (1508/9-) d of Sir JOHN MONTGOMERY
(-1512/3) of Cubley; m3 Christian d of Wm CARLEOL/CROKELL
of London & wdw of THOMAS PARWELL (will 1451).

He had issue by all three wives.

regards,
Adrian