Royal Ancestry of Rev. Gregory Dexter of London and Providence, Rhode Island

Shawn

Oct 4, 2008, 5:40:08 PM10/4/08
Rev. Gregory Dexter of London and Providence, Rhode Island, appears to
descend from Charlemagne as follows. I welcome corrections/
improvements.

31. Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor = Hildegard
30. Louis I, Holy Roman Emperor = Judith of Bavaria
29. Charles II, Holy Roman Emperor = Ermentrude of Orleans
28. Louis of Aquitaine = Adelaide of Paris
27. Charles III, King of France = Eadgifu of England
26. Louis IV, King of France = Gerberga of Saxony
25. Charles, Duke of Lower Lorraine = Adelaide
24. Adelaide of Lower Lorraine = Albert I, Count of Namur
23. Albert II, Count of Namur = Regelinde of Lower Lorraine
22. Albert III, Count of Namur = Ida of Saxony
21. Godfrey, County of Namur = Sybil of Chateau-Porcien
20. Elizabeth of Namur = Gervais, Count of Rethel
19. Milicent of Rethel = Richard de Camville
18. William de Camville = Auberee de Marmion
17. William de Camville = Iseuda
16. Thomas de Camville = Agnes
15. Felicia de Camville = Philip Durvassal
14. Thomas Durvassal = Margery
13. Margery Durvassal = William de la Spine
12. William de la Spine = Alice de Bruley
11. Sir Guy de la Spine = Katherine
10. Eleanor de la Spine = Sir John Throckmorton
9. Sir Thomas Throckmorton = Margaret Olney
8. Margery Throckmorton = Richard Middlemore
7. Elizabeth Middlemore = George Agard
6. Stephen Agard = Elizabeth Raynsford
5. Katherine Agard = Harold Kinnesman
4. Elizabeth Kinnesman = Thomas Dexter
3. Stephen Dexter = Anne Turland
2. Gregory Dexter, Sr. = Isabel
1. Reverend Gregory Dexter, Jr. = Abigail Fuller

Sources:
- Generations 8-31. Gary Boyd Roberts, The Royal Descents of 600
Immigrants, (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2004),
557-558.
- Generations 6-8. A History of the County of Warwick, (1949),
5:153-157 (Kington Hundred, Stretton-on-Fosse Parish). “Thomas Agard
died in 1509, having settled the manor of Ditchford Friary on his son
George on his marriage with Elizabeth daughter of Richard Middlemore.
(fn. 74) George died in 1522 seized of the manor, which passed to his
son Stephen, then aged 9, (fn. 75) who between 1543 (fn. 76) and 1547
(fn. 77) sold the manor and advowson to William Willington.”
- Generations 5-6. A History of the County of Northampton, (1937),
4:158-162, (Broughton Parish). “Stephen, returned as lord in 1546,
(fn. 27) married Elizabeth, daughter to William Raynsford of Tew in
co. Oxford, widow of Robert Belcher, by whom he had a son Ambrose and
two daughters, Jane married to Richard Wycherley of Wycherley, and
Elizabeth who married Harold Kinnesman of Broughton, ‘Vice-treasurer
at arms in the Irish Wars.’ (fn. 28) At his death in 1562, Stephen
Agard was succeeded by his son Ambrose, who in 1588 contributed £25 to
the defense of the country against the Spanish invasion. (fn. 29)”
- Note about Generation 16. Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A., The
Visitations of Northamptonshire Made in 1564 and 1618-1619, (London:
Mitchell and Hughes, 1887), 165. Ancestry chart for Belcher of
Geddington shows Elizabeth, da. of William Rainsford of Tew, co.
Oxford, married Robert Belcher of Langport, alias Lamport, co.
Northampton, also married Stephen Agard of Broughton, co. North’ton, 2
vir.
- Generations 4-6. Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A., The Visitations of
Northamptonshire Made in 1564 and 1618-1619, (London: Mitchell and
Hughes, 1887), 103. Ancestry chart for Kinsman of Loddington shows
Elizabeth, ux Thomas Dexter of Old (in Orlingbury Hundred), co.
North’ton, daughter of Harold Kinsman of Broughton, co. North’ton and
Katherine, da. of Stephen Agard of Broughton.
- Generations 2-4. A History of the County of Northampton, (1937),
4:200-204 (Old, alias Wold Parish). “In 1608 Thomas Dexter died
seized of [Knightley] manor, leaving it to his wife Elizabeth during
her lifetime, with remainder to their son Stephen and his son
Gregory. Stephen was at that time 50 years old.”
- Generations 1-3. Gordon L. Remington, FUGA, FASG and Roberta Stokes
Smith, “Thomas Clemence of Providence, Rhode Island and Four
Generations of His Descendants,” New England Historical and
Genealogical Register, (Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical
Society, 2001), 155:132-133. “Gregory Dexter’s English origins were
long stated to be in Olney, Buckinghamshire. Bradford Swan analyzed
the genealogical scholarship on this issue in his 1949 biography of
Dexter, but twelve years later published evidence that Gregory Dexter
was in fact from the parish of Old in Northamptonshire.7 Research
into the Dexter family of Old, though not yet completed, has failed to
turn up mention of a connection to a Clemence family.8” Footnote 7:
“Bradford F. Swan, ‘A Note on Gregory Dexter,’ Rhode Island History,
20 [1961]:125-126. ‘Gregory Dexter sone of Gregory Dexter [of] Old in
the County of Northpton, yeoman,’ was apprenticed to Elizabeth Aldee
on 3 December 1632 for a term of eight years, but was admitted to
freedom in the Stationer’s Guild on 18 December 1639. Records of the
Company of Stationers of London, Freeman’s Register, 1605-1703, on FHL
microfilm 1482675, and Apprentices Register, 1605-1666, folio 123, on
FHL microfilm 142671.” Footnote 8: “Gregory Dexter, according to the
apprenticeship record, was the son of Gregory Dexter, yeoman, of the
parish of Old, Northamptonshire. Gregory Dexter [Sr.], in turn, was
the son of a Stephen Dexter and Ann Turland and was christened at Old
on 26 June 1581. The only child of Gregory Dexter [Sr.] and his wife
Isabel christened at Old is a daughter Isabel, christened in 1623.
Isabel, the wife of Gregory, was buried at Old in 1667, aged 80,
putting her date of birth at about 1587. Gregory had a brother
Alexander, christened in 1583 and a sister Susannah christened in
1598. [Old, Northamptonshire Parish Registers searched at Northampton
Record Office, and Pedigree of Dexter of Old in Isham Longden
Collection at NRO.]”
- Generation 1. The Biographical Cyclopedia of Representative Men of
Rhode Island, (Providence, RI: National Biographical Publishing
County, 1881), 39-40. “Rev. Gregory Dexter, the fifth pastor of the
First Baptist Church in Providence is said to have been born in London
early in the seventeenth century. He followed the stationery business
in his native city with one Coleman. For printing a piece that was
offensive to the government he was compelled to flee the country, and
came to Providence in 1643. The same year he was received into the
church, of which he subsequently became pastor. That he soon became a
person of some importance in the infant colony is evident from the
circumstance that he was elected town clerk a few years later after
taking up his residence in Providence. He was also among the fifty-
four persons to whom ‘town lots’ were assigned. In 1648, he was
chosen a ‘commissioner’ to represent the town in the General Assembly,
and again in 1650. He was President of the two towns of Providence
and Warwick one year, 1653-4. In Staples’ Annals may be found, pp.
106-8, an interesting letter of Mr. Dexter’s to Sir Henry Vane, in
reply to the charge which that gentleman had made, that there were
‘divisions, disorders, etc. in the colony which had sorely troubled
him, their loving and steadfast friend.’ In the subsequent history of
the state, the name of Mr. Dexter occasionally appears, as taking part
in the civil affairs of the colony. He was chosen Pastor of the first
Church in Providence to succeed Rev. William Wickenden, who died
February 23, 1669. Morgan Edwards says of him: ‘Mr. Dexter, by all
accounts, was not only a well-bred man but remarkably pious. He was
never observed to laugh, seldom to smile. So earnest was he in his
ministry that he could hardly forbear preaching when he came into a
house or met with a concourse of people out of doors.’ The exact date
of his death is not known, but it must have been not far from the
close of the century in which he was born. He lived to be over 90
years of age. ‘The wife of Mr. Dexter was Abigail Fullerton, by whom
he had three sons and one daughter, Stephen, James, John, and
Abigail.’”
- Note 1 about Generation 1. Journal of the House of Commons:
1640-1643, (1802), 2:268-270. “August 24, 1641. Ordered, That
Gregory Dexter Printer, who printed a Pamphlet, entitled, The
Protestation protested; and was therefore, and for other Misdemeanors
expressed in the said Order, committed Prisoner to the Prison of the
Gatehouse, there to remain during the Pleasure of this House, shall be
forthwith bailed, upon giving good Security to the Sergeant attending
on this House, to attend the said House de die in diem, at all such
times, as he shall be by the House required.”
- Note 2 about Generation 1. Journal of the House of Lords:
1642-1643, (1802), 5:386-388. “October 5, 1642. Abigail Dexter was
brought to the Bar, and asked who it was that made the Book, entitled,
King James’s Judgment of a King and a Tyrant. She answered, ‘That she
did not know who was the Author of it.’ Hereupon her Examination
delivered in Yesterday by the Lord Chief Justice was read before her;
and she being asked who did bring them to her, she said, ‘she did not
know;’ but confessed the said Books were printed by her Directions.
But, because she would not clearly confess who was the Author, this
House Ordered That the said Abigall shall be committed to The King’s
Bench, there to remain until the Pleasure of this House be further
known.”

Kate Stromsted

Oct 4, 2008, 6:19:08 PM10/4/08
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Several years ago William Addams Reitweisner indicated that the Ogard family
in England descends from the Danish Gyllenstierna family, of Aagard. The
Gyllenstiernas intermarried with many noble families in Denmark and Sweden;
one of them, Erik Eriksson Gyllenstierna, married the daughter of Charles
Knutsson Bonde, King of Sweden. They are the ancestors of many European
royals. Is the Agard family related to the Ogard, or are they both variants
of the same name?

Kate

Shawn

Oct 4, 2008, 7:19:17 PM10/4/08

- Note about Generation 6. Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A., The

known.”

Robert O'Connor

Oct 5, 2008, 12:34:09 AM10/5/08

"Shawn" <shp...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Phillimore's comprehensive history of the Middlemores entitled 'The Family
of Middlemore' makes no reference to a daughter of this Richard, Elizabeth,
wife of George Agard?

There is a reference in Phillimore to a granddaughter of Richard (daughter
of Richard's son Thomas), Eleanor Middlemore, wife of Clement Agard.

Shawn

Oct 5, 2008, 6:44:59 PM10/5/08
On Oct 5, 12:34 am, "Robert O'Connor" <rocon...@es.co.nz> wrote:
> "Shawn" <shpx...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Phillimore's comprehensive history of the Middlemores entitled 'The Family
> of Middlemore' makes no reference to a daughter of this Richard, Elizabeth,
> wife of George Agard?
>
> There is a reference in Phillimore to a granddaughter of Richard (daughter
> of Richard's son Thomas), Eleanor Middlemore, wife of Clement Agard.

Robert,

Thank you for your question. George Agard's marriage to Elizabeth,
daughter of Richard Middlemore, is attested by the chancery
inquisition post mortem cited above.

Douglas Richardson

Oct 5, 2008, 11:40:47 PM10/5/08
Shawn ~

I believe you have a weak link in the proposed Dexter royal descent
which involves the Camville family in Generations 15-19:

19. Milicent of Rethel = Richard de Camville
18. William de Camville = Auberee de Marmion
17. William de Camville = Iseuda
16. Thomas de Camville = Agnes
15. Felicia de Camville = Philip Durvassal

As I recall, the chain of evidence proving the descent of Felice de
Camville from Milicent de Rethel is weak or non-existent. I suggest
you examine original primary sources to document these generations.
Auberee de Marmion Gen. 18 is actually Aubrey Marmion. The name
Marmion doesn't take a "de." Also, Iseuda Gen. 17 is Latin for
Iseult.

I can vouch that Generation 18 existed. My files have the following
information regarding this couple:

WILLIAM DE CAMVILLE, in right of his wife, of Clifton-Campville,
Staffordshire, and Arrow, Warwickshire. He married AUBREY MARMION,
daughter of Geoffrey Marmion, of Llanstephan, Carmarthenshire.
William de Camville was living in 1216. In 1228 his widow, Aubrey,
quitclaimed to her grandson, William de Camville (son of Geoffrey) all
her right in the barony of Llanstephan. She was living in 1233.

Complete Peerage, 3 (1913): 3, footnote d (sub Camville). Curia Regis
Rolls, 3 (1926): 284; 5 (1931): 54-55; 8 (1938): 238. Great Roll of
the Pipe for the Seventh Year of the Reign of King John Michaelmas
1205 (Pubs. of the Pipe Roll Soc. n.s. 19) (1941): 230. Paget (1957)
116:1. Blackman (1980), pg. 97. N. Vincent, English Episcopal Acta
IX: Winchester 1205-1238 (1994): 3-4.

As for William de Camville, husband of Aubrey Marmion, he is allegedly
the same person as William de Camville, brother of Gerard de Camville,
named in the record below. However, I don't know if there is any
evidence to prove that William de Camville, brother of Gerard, is the
same person as the William de Camville who married Aubrey Marmion. So
that point also needs to be addressed.

Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Records Office: Gregory of Stivichall,
Reference: DR10/194
Available online at the following weblink: http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp

Charter dated 1176-1183 issued by Gerard de Camvilla, addressed to
Richard, Bishop of Chester, confirming to God and St. Mary of Cumba
and the monks of the Cistercian order there serving God, the gift
which his father Richard de Camvilla made to the said abbey, namely
the whole land of Smita to found an abbey of the Cistercian order,
with demesne and other appurtenances in wood and plain, in ways and
paths, in land and water, in meadows and pastures, and in free alms
quit from all earthly service and secular exactions. Witnesses:
Walter de Camvilla, William de Camvill', Richard de Camvill' his
brothers, John de Curci, Simon de Blossevilla.

Good luck in your sleuthing.

t...@clearwire.net

Oct 6, 2008, 12:08:11 AM10/6/08
On Oct 4, 2:40 pm, Shawn <shpx...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Rev. Gregory Dexter of London and Providence, Rhode Island, appears to
> descend from Charlemagne as follows.  I welcome corrections/
> improvements.
>
> 31. Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor = Hildegard
> 30. Louis I, Holy Roman Emperor = Judith of Bavaria
> 29. Charles II, Holy Roman Emperor = Ermentrude of Orleans
> 28. Louis of Aquitaine = Adelaide of Paris
> 27. Charles III, King of France = Eadgifu of England
> 26. Louis IV, King of France = Gerberga of Saxony
> 25. Charles, Duke of Lower Lorraine = Adelaide
> 24. Adelaide of Lower Lorraine = Albert I, Count of Namur
> 23. Albert II, Count of Namur = Regelinde of Lower Lorraine
> 22. Albert III, Count of Namur = Ida of Saxony
> 21. Godfrey, County of Namur = Sybil of Chateau-Porcien
> 20. Elizabeth of Namur = Gervais, Count of Rethel
> 19. Milicent of Rethel = Richard de Camville
> 18. William de Camville = Auberee de Marmion
> 17. William de Camville = Iseuda
> 16. Thomas de Camville = Agnes
> 15. Felicia de Camville = Philip Durvassal
> 14. Thomas Durvassal = Margery

This couple is claimed to be ancestral to the Spernor alias Durvassal
grandmother of Henry Vernon of Haddon, himself ancestral to Robert
Abell. Has anyone confirmed this connection?

taf

Shawn

Oct 6, 2008, 12:09:52 AM10/6/08
Douglas,

Thank you for your observations.

This evening, I also noted chronological anomolies in generations
5-7. Several of L.F. Salzman's dates/ages appear to be inconsistent
with the relations he describes. So, it seems, original documents
should be consulted for those generations as well.

Shawn

lma...@att.net

Oct 6, 2008, 3:08:38 AM10/6/08
On Oct 4, 2:40 pm, Shawn <shpx...@comcast.net> wrote:

An examination of the chronology shows a problem here.

Stephen Dexter was age 50 in 1608, therefore born about 1558.

Stephen Agard was age 9 in 1522, thus born in 1513.

Between 1522 and 1558, is 36 years. Not enough time
to make one the great grandfather of the other.

Leslie

Shawn

Oct 6, 2008, 5:38:33 AM10/6/08
Leslie,

Thank you for your note. These are the chronological anomolies I
referred to in my earlier note to Douglas. I suspect L.F. Saltzman's
statement that Stephen Agard was 9 in 1522 should read that Stephen
Agard was 29 in 1522. That would make more sense. But, original
records must be consulted in order to identify the mistake, and
determine whether or not this part of the lineage is correct.

Shawn

Kate Stromsted

Oct 6, 2008, 11:08:30 AM10/6/08
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
It looks like I'm a little behind the times on my information: if the
Camville/Durvassal link is now tenuous, then Mrs. Alice Freeman Thompson
Parke loses her current Charlemagne descent as published in RD 600. (Unless
her de Clare/Wake line is re-instated, and I have no idea what the status of
that line is.)
Kate

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Douglas Richardson
<royala...@msn.com>wrote:

Message has been deleted

jonme...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2008, 7:56:55 AM10/7/08
On Oct 6, 11:12 am, John Brandon <starbuc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> She still has her Ethelred the Unready line thru the Gifford family,
> as unglamorous and remote as that may be.

As we have a "Royal Bastards" hereditary society, why not a "Royal
Incompetents" one?