OT: Mary Clerke, wife of Col. Fiennes Twisleton

Mark Bridge

Jun 8, 2021, 9:35:49 AM6/8/21
Col. Fiennes Twisleton, d. 1730, of Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, de jure 5th Baron Saye and Sele and ancestor of actors Ralph and Joseph Fiennes and explorer Ranulph Fiennes among others, is said in various peerages to have married, at Dublin Castle, in 1672, one Mary Clarke. As far as I can tell, her parentage hasn’t previously been established. However, some interesting details can be gleaned from sources available online. I haven’t had a chance to dig into this any further, and realise the time period makes this off-topic, but am posting what I've found as there’s a chance further research might lead to new medieval descents for the family.

An abstract of the will of Thomas Clerke Esq, of Mount Bagnall, co. Louth, from Betham’s Genealogical Abstracts on Findmypast, dated (or proved?) October 12, 1707, names his wife Alicia, daughter - Twisleton and another daughter, the wife of James Underwood. It also shows a coat of arms, presumably from his seal, which I haven't investigated.

An abstract of the will of Alice Clerke of Dublin, widow, from the same source, dated (or proved?) March 14, 1731-2, names her grandson John Twisleton of Broughton [Castle], granddaughter Idonia Burdett, Mrs Alice Twisleton, Mrs Charlotte Crampton, nephew Captain Woodward, Mrs Abigail Woodward, and nephews John and Joseph (?)Parr.

James B Leslie’s History of Kilsaran union of parishes in the County of Louth, accessible online, quotes from the will of Alice Clerke, widow, Dublin, 1732, as follows: “To be buried in Castlebellingham near her brother” [Dr. Charles Gwither], £100 being left to Exors. for funeral expenses. Leaves £5, inter alia, to Rev. Henry Clark, F.T.C.D., “provided he sees me buryed in Castlebellingham.” Directs her niece, Abigail Woodward, “to give some of my money to the poor of Castlebellingham.”

Leslie’s book also states that “Charles Gwither entered T.C.D. as a Pensioner on Jan. 27, 1676, aged 17. He is described in the Matriculation Book as the son of Henry Gwither “Centurionis” (?Captain), and was born in Co. Meath and educated by Dr. Witenal.”

Meanwhile, per Betham, the will of Charles Gwither MD, of Trinity College Dublin MD, dated 3 June 1698, names a nephew Harry (or Harvey?) Gwither, son of Samuel, his sister Clerke and nephew Sam Woodward.

All of this would appear to show that Mary Clarke/Clerke, the wife of Col. Fiennes Twisleton, of Broughton Castle, was the daughter of Thomas Clerke, styled as being of Mount Bagnall, Co. Louth, by his wife Alice/Alicia, sister of Dr Charles Gwither, TCD, and presumably daughter of Henry Gwither.

Best wishes,

Mark Bridge

Will Johnson

Jun 9, 2021, 10:41:53 PM6/9/21
https://www.google.com/books/edition/History_of_Kilsaran_Union_of_Parishes_in/hGANAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=thomas+clerke+alice+gwither&pg=PA331&printsec=frontcover

1700 Gwither Charles TCD MD I would be dead sure before I am buried He therefore orders his body to be opened I am not very solicitous about the place or manner of burial My books and scholastic baubles I leave to my nephew Henry Gwither bro Sam's son all the rest I leave to my sister Clerke wife to Thomas Clerke Merchant Dublin she to give brother Sam 100 at least tis not that I doubt who I love most Allis wants it not and he does and well tis charity twas just dark as I writ this 3 Jan 98 His nephew Samuel Woodward is also mentioned in the will see Appendix Inscriptions and Clerke Alice above

Johnny Brananas

Jun 10, 2021, 1:47:55 PM6/10/21
On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 10:41:53 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/History_of_Kilsaran_Union_of_Parishes_in/hGANAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=thomas+clerke+alice+gwither&pg=PA331&printsec=frontcover
>
> 1700 Gwither Charles TCD MD I would be dead sure before I am buried He therefore orders his body to be opened I am not very solicitous about the place or manner of burial My books and scholastic baubles I leave to my nephew Henry Gwither bro Sam's son all the rest I leave to my sister Clerke wife to Thomas Clerke Merchant Dublin she to give brother Sam 100 at least tis not that I doubt who I love most Allis wants it not and he does and well tis charity twas just dark as I writ this 3 Jan 98 His nephew Samuel Woodward is also mentioned in the will see Appendix Inscriptions and Clerke Alice above

Is this the Dr. Gwyther credited with introducing common frogs into Ireland around 1700?

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Notes_and_Queries/NaMgAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=gwyther+ireland&pg=PA186&printsec=frontcover

I assume TCD means Trinity College, Dublin.