Boteler of Warrington: The First Generations

butl...@aol.com

Dec 27, 2007, 8:15:24 AM12/27/07
Good Morning All,
After receivingnumerous e -mails as what to do will post 3 seperate
post on each family so that the posts will not be in-ordinately long
and continue them by adding posts. To Wit:

Richard Pincerna, styled Pincernius
held the manor of Poulton near Pulford in Cheshire
(Domesday Survey 1086)

Children:
1. Robert held lands in Engleby Derbyshire and Budiford Warwickshire,
known as Robert de Engleby
(2,3,4 Henry II,Pipe Rolls p. 44,86,186)
Married:
Ivetta dau. of William Helgod(t) Corvedale Shropshire
(Kuerden's MSS)

2. Richard succeeds as Pincerna (addressed later)
3. William,witness to a charter of Hugh Lupus 1093, Earl Randle
meschines to the City of Chester, (His. Ches. vol. I p. 172) witness
to Countess Meschines(Dugdales Monasticon under St. Werburghs) Others.
4.Gilbert, a charter, Proc. of the Liverpool Soc.1851 p. 92
5. Hugh 1171 witness to his brother Richard,above, to Calk Abbey 1171.
6. Matilda mar. Roger Gondeville
7. Edelina mar. Roger de Somerville, gave lands to the nunnery of
Polesworth (Dudgedale Pedigree, Hist. of Warwickshire pp.
216,226,238,799)
8. Randle the Clerk, witness to Richard his brothers charter of Bishop
Walter Durdent with his brother Hugh before 1161 when Bishop Walter is
dead

Richard above, # 2, Son of the first Richard Pincerna
married: Beatrix de Vilers,. Dau. of Matthew de Vilers, Lord of
Warrington, feudal Baron. (After 1152 before 1161, when Bishop Walter
Durdent, Bishop of Chester, Richard grants 8 virgates of his land in
Durandesthorpe,etc., witnesses Beatrix his wife, Randle the clerk and
Hugh my brothers, Roger de Vilers and many others. The marriage to
Beatrix occurred 1160 +/- 1 year (Plumpton Papers by Camden Soc.)

NOTE: Beatrix' first husband is Robert fitz Helgod(t) of Fentone
Shropshire, mentioned in the gift of Matthew de Vilers to
Fiskerton(Thurgatton Abbe) when he gave 1 caracute of land in crophill
that he may take up the habit of a monk, the grant is later confirmed
two more times by his brothers and once by writ by King Henry in 1167.
They are both mentioned in this grant. It has been surmised that
matthew de Viler died between 1160-64 as this is the first time
Lancashire lands are mentioned in 2 Henry II, Geoffrey de Valonis,
Sheriff of lancasterrendering an acct of the whole fee farm
ofLancaster Richard is excused of 10 knights fees as Richard was with
the king by writ of the king.

Note this is the first of only 3 times that the Botelers of Warrington
are actually Styled Barons of Warrington, Richard is baron by tenure
in the right of his wife Beatrix, dau. and heir of her brother Matthew
de Vilers. The only other two times are by writ and not after 1328 as
no Botelers of Warrington were called or sat in parliment after this
time, as the family and area is now represented by the Earls of
Ormonde, James le Boteler 1st earl of Ormonde, or as he styles himself
(Jacobus Walter Pincerna) Earl of Ormonde.

Children:
1. William b. approx.1160 as will be seen further....
2. John (Cal. of Patent Rolls (fol. 10)
3. Galfridus witness to charter of Roger constable of Chester, d. 1211
4. Albreda, mar. 1 Thurstan de Vilers, mar. 2nd Walter de Stanton. In
1183 Randulph fitz Barnard Sheriff of lancaster and in wardship of
William above-son of Richard- bestowed upon Thurstan de Vilers the
town of Crophill with all its appertunances upon the marriage to
Albreda (Testa de Nevil, p. 402a) later William confered it upon
Walter De Stanton (Rot Curiae Regis, Henry II)

William above-son of Richard- Richard died 1171/72 as the king by writ
had Randulph FitzBarnard, Sheriff of Lancaster claim wardship for the
king between 1172-1183 during Williams minority until he became of
age(Hist. of Lan., Vol. I, p. 202)

William held as of this time
(3) fees in Lincolnshire
(2) fees in Nottinghamshire
(1) fee in Laton Amounderness
(2) fees in West Derbyshire

William married Ada/Alicia de Furneys, she was the widow of Gamel de
Bolton and in 1216 paid a fine to the king the was in arrears for this
marriage. NOTE: for those who are not familiar, to marry a widow one
had to pay a fine to the king of a license to marry. (Testa de Nevil
p. 401a, Walley Coucher Book p. 417, Dodsworths MSS)

To be continued tonite and hopefully posting of the Botelers of
Ireland and the Botelers of Rawcliffe if not, tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Emmett L. Butler

suthen

Dec 28, 2007, 3:03:38 AM12/28/07
<snip>

> William married Ada/Alicia de Furneys, she was the widow of Gamel de
> Bolton and in 1216 paid a fine to the king the was in arrears for this
> marriage. NOTE: for those who are not familiar, to marry a widow one
> had to  pay a fine to the king of a license to marry. (Testa de Nevil
> p. 401a, Walley Coucher Book p. 417, Dodsworths MSS)
>
> To be continued tonite and hopefully posting of the Botelers of
> Ireland and the Botelers of Rawcliffe if not, tomorrow.
>
> Best Regards,
> Emmett L. Butler

According to VCH Lancs VIII:300 (numerous contemporary citations in
footnotes), Baines IV:400 and MichaelAnne's Guido's recent article in
Foundations Vol. I #6, Ada, daughter of Thomas FitzGospatric and his
wife Grace ______, was married first to William le Fleming (1150-1203)
of Furness, Lancashire and was the mother of his sons Michael III le
Fleming (ancestor of the Haringtons of Farleton, Lancashire) and
Daniel le Fleming, before her marriage to William le Boteler, There is
no mention of a marriage to a Gamel de Bolton. The citation for Ada's
possible subsequent marriage to William le Boteler can be found in VCH
Lancs VIII:300 footnote #70 my notes say.

I would add that William le Fleming's father Michael and William often
appear in records as Michael and William de Furness which is likely
the source of the surname you have given her. She should most likely
be referred to as Ada de Workington as she was of Workington,
Cumberland. Her brothers were Patrick de Culwen and Thomas de
Workington.

HS

NaNcY

Jan 3, 2008, 4:26:45 PM1/3/08
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 05:15:24 -0800 (PST), butl...@aol.com wrote:

I eagerly await the rest of this post. Of all the medieval families,
the Botelers are almost as confusing as the Venables, and like the
Venables, females of these names keep showing up in the Dutton,
Bulkeley,Molyneux,Davenport and other families I've been researching.