Ancestry of Rohese of Boulogne, wife of Sir Richard de Lucy

Douglas Richardson royalancestry@msn.com

Jul 26, 2005, 3:16:00 PM7/26/05
Dear Newsgroup ~

For those interested in tracing the ancestry of Rohese of Boulogne, the
newly proven wife of Sir Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of England,
it is now available through Hal Bradley's great database at the
following web address:

http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=hwbradley&id=I15859&style=TEXT

Checking Rohese of Boulogne's extended ancestry, I notice two descents
from King Alfred the Great of England and several descents from
Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor. Thanks, Hal, for making this
information available to everyone. Much appreciated!

Website: www.royalancestry.net

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Jul 26, 2005, 4:29:11 PM7/26/05
In message of 26 Jul, "Douglas Richardson royala...@msn.com" <royala...@msn.com> wrote:

> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> For those interested in tracing the ancestry of Rohese of Boulogne, the
> newly proven wife of Sir Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of England,
> it is now available through Hal Bradley's great database at the
> following web address:
>
> http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=hwbradley&id=I15859&style=TEXT
>
> Checking Rohese of Boulogne's extended ancestry, I notice two descents
> from King Alfred the Great of England and several descents from
> Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor. Thanks, Hal, for making this
> information available to everyone. Much appreciated!

I have gone through all the postings for the last month and I have
failed to see the proof that Rohese is the wife of Rich: de Lucy. Can
anyone give me a reference?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          t...@powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org

Ginny Wagner

Jul 26, 2005, 5:52:36 PM7/26/05

<Can anyone give me a reference?>

In Power's, The Norman Frontier in the Twelfth and Early Thirteenth
Centuries, page 479:

"Court records also pose problems: the genealogies recorded in the curia
regis rolls in thirteenth-century England, for instance, often contradict
one another.[fn8]

"[fn8] E.g. the descendants of Richard de Lucy, justicar of Henry II: see
Power 2003b, 195 n. 35."

Ginny

Douglas Richardson royalancestry@msn.com

Jul 27, 2005, 3:31:38 AM7/27/05
Dear Newsgroup ~

As a followup to my post earlier today, I might mention that the
extended ancestry of Rohese of Boulogne, widow of Sir Richard de Lucy,
can also be found on Jim Weber's great database at the following web
address:

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=jweber&id=I03997&style=TEXT

The pedigree cited above commences with Rohese of Boulogne's brother,
Faramus of Boulogne.

Website: www.royalancestry.net

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Jul 27, 2005, 9:32:21 AM7/27/05
In message of 27 Jul, "Douglas Richardson royala...@msn.com"
<royala...@msn.com> wrote:

> Dear Newsgroup ~
>

> As a followup to my post earlier today, I might mention that the
> extended ancestry of Rohese of Boulogne, widow of Sir Richard de Lucy,
> can also be found on Jim Weber's great database at the following web
> address:
>
> http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=jweber&id=I03997&style=TEXT
>
> The pedigree cited above commences with Rohese of Boulogne's brother,
> Faramus of Boulogne.

I remain confused. I am trying to find some reference that says that
Rohese, the wife of Richard de Lucy was in fact the Rohese who was in
fact the daughter of Geoffrey of Boulogne and a brother of Faramus of
Boulogne. Someone gave a proof of this apparently on this newsgroup and
I cannot locate this. Can anyone else locate it?

> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah
>
> Website: www.royalancestry.net
>

> Douglas Richardson royala...@msn.com wrote:
> > Dear Newsgroup ~
> >
> > For those interested in tracing the ancestry of Rohese of Boulogne,
> > the newly proven wife of Sir Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of
> > England, it is now available through Hal Bradley's great database
> > at the following web address:
> >
> > http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=hwbradley&id=I15859&style=TEXT
> >
> > Checking Rohese of Boulogne's extended ancestry, I notice two
> > descents from King Alfred the Great of England and several descents
> > from Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor. Thanks, Hal, for making this
> > information available to everyone. Much appreciated!

Chris Phillips

Jul 27, 2005, 9:52:20 AM7/27/05

Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote:
> I remain confused. I am trying to find some reference that says that
> Rohese, the wife of Richard de Lucy was in fact the Rohese who was in
> fact the daughter of Geoffrey of Boulogne and a brother of Faramus of
> Boulogne. Someone gave a proof of this apparently on this newsgroup and
> I cannot locate this. Can anyone else locate it?

I don't think it's so much that there was a Rohese known to be daughter of
Geoffrey of Boulogne and sister of Faramus, as that Faramus is called an
uncle of Richard de Lucy's son Godfrey.

As mentioned before, Keats-Rohan gives Richard only one wife, Rohese, and
makes her the mother of all his known children, but I don't know what her
evidence for this is.

If Keats-Rohan's information is well-founded, that does appear to make
Rohese a sister (or perhaps half-sister) of Faramus (from other information,
it seems impossible for Richard de Lucy to have been a half-brother of
Faramus).

Chris Phillips

al...@mindspring.com

Jul 27, 2005, 11:26:33 AM7/27/05
Under John Ravilious' post about descents from Eustace II de Boulogne.

Doug Smith

CE Wood

Jul 27, 2005, 1:26:27 PM7/27/05
I do hope Jim can soon update his marvelous site with the correct
marriage for Sir Richard de Lucy, as he now has him married to Rohese
FitzRichard de Clare.

CE Wood