Ancestors of Harald Bluetooth, from a danish point of view.

Allan M. Andersen

Jun 27, 2003, 9:40:42 AM6/27/03
Harald Blaatands (Bluetooths) ancestors were according
to me the following:

1. Harald "Blaatand/Bluetooth", born around 905.

Parents:
2. King Gorm "den Gamle/"the Old" of Jelling (or rather of
the part of Denmark called Harsyssel, born around 875. Md. to:
3. Thyra "Danebod", died before King Gorm.

Grandparents:
4. King Hardeknud of Jelling, whose name here is written
in modern danish. born around 845. Married to:
5. Princess ... of Northumbria.

6. Harald Klak, King of some part of the island of
Sjaelland/Sealand, in eastern Denmark. Perhaps a
Grandson of King Harald Klack of Haithabu or in Danish
"Hedeby", a larger city in Northern Germany, not as
stated by some a part of ancient Norway. wife unknown.
The tradition that Thyras father wore the name Klak Harald,
is very ancient (1100´s), and if he actually was a
grandson somehow of the older Harald Klak, he may have
inherited his grandfathers name.

Great grandparents.
8. Svend from Nortmannia, a prince or viking chief of some sort.
Wife unknown.

10. King Aella/Ella of Northumbria. An usurper, though his
name points at a descent from the ancient kings of Deira/
Northumbria. The marriage of Hardeknud to Ellas daughter
is mentioned in some ancients chronicle(s?). I cant tell
exactly where. I would like to get to know something more
about this usurper Ellas ancestors - if anything is
available about them.

Sources:

1. Common knowledge from the archives of S.G.M.
2. A book unfortunately only available in Dainsh by
Kirsten Moeller: "Vikinge ætten - Brudstykker til et
moenster", 1997. From page 43-80 is a part called:
"Hardeknud". Other parts of the book are called: "Gorm og
Gnupa", "Hakon Adelstensfostre", "Ingvars æt" (Ingvar
meaning Ivarr Boneless" - or in danish "Iver Benloes".

This book can be highly recommended though it may be hard
purchasing it abroad, and I dont know whether or not this
exellent book has been translated yet.

Hans Vogels

Jun 29, 2003, 6:14:28 AM6/29/03
Allan,

Has this book by Kirsten Moeller: "Vikinge ætten - Brudstykker til et
moenster" (1997), new information and points of view not yet discussed
in the newsgroup here?

As far as I can recall there have been extensive discussions on SGM
but nothing was thrustworthy enough to be an addition to the skolarly
point of vieuw.

With regard,
Hans Vogels

Todd A. Farmerie

Jul 6, 2003, 12:40:57 AM7/6/03
Allan M. Andersen wrote:
> Harald Blaatands (Bluetooths) ancestors were according
> to me the following:
>
> 1. Harald "Blaatand/Bluetooth", born around 905.
>
> Parents:
> 2. King Gorm "den Gamle/"the Old" of Jelling (or rather of
> the part of Denmark called Harsyssel, born around 875. Md. to:
> 3. Thyra "Danebod", died before King Gorm.
>
> Grandparents:
> 4. King Hardeknud of Jelling, whose name here is written
> in modern danish. born around 845. Married to:

This much is the common synthesis of the data.

> 5. Princess ... of Northumbria.
>
> 6. Harald Klak, King of some part of the island of
> Sjaelland/Sealand, in eastern Denmark. Perhaps a
> Grandson of King Harald Klack of Haithabu or in Danish
> "Hedeby", a larger city in Northern Germany, not as
> stated by some a part of ancient Norway. wife unknown.
> The tradition that Thyras father wore the name Klak Harald,
> is very ancient (1100´s), and if he actually was a
> grandson somehow of the older Harald Klak, he may have
> inherited his grandfathers name.

This is more contraversial. It seems to me that THE Klak Harold
was intended, yet the chronology renders that solution
impractical. Thus a second, otherwise unknown Harald is
hypothesized to match the chronology. However, if we take the
step to say that the source is wrong, and must be 'fixed', then
there are a range of different 'fixes' that could be made, none
with any more basis than the next. Particularly in light of a
conflicting tradition making her daughter of AEthelred, one must
exercise extreme caution here.

> Great grandparents.
> 8. Svend from Nortmannia, a prince or viking chief of some sort.
> Wife unknown.

Again, apparently matching Adam's account.

> 10. King Aella/Ella of Northumbria. An usurper, though his
> name points at a descent from the ancient kings of Deira/
> Northumbria. The marriage of Hardeknud to Ellas daughter
> is mentioned in some ancients chronicle(s?). I cant tell
> exactly where.

As this is the only somewhat atypical claim of the lot, it is too
bad the basis for it can't be given with more precision.

> I would like to get to know something more
> about this usurper Ellas ancestors - if anything is
> available about them.

ASC says of him ". . . and they repudiated their king Osberht and
accepted Ælla, a king not of royal birth;"

taf