Alice Morton Bradford

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Sep 28, 2021, 3:55:04 PM9/28/21

In 1957, John G. Hunt speculated that the paternal grandmother of Governor William Bradford, passenger in the Mayflower, was a daughter of Robert Morton and Alice Markham named Alice. This would provide Governor William Bradford several royal descnts through Alice Markham including two from Edward I. Has any further research been done on this?

David Heiden

Dec 14, 2021, 1:45:08 PM12/14/21
On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 3:55:04 PM UTC-4, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> In 1957, John G. Hunt speculated that the paternal grandmother of Governor William Bradford, passenger in the Mayflower, was a daughter of Robert Morton and Alice Markham named Alice. This would provide Governor William Bradford several royal descnts through Alice Markham including two from Edward I. Has any further research been done on this?
Would also being very interested in this as Bradford is my Mayflower and Colonial Wars Societies ancestor.

Will Johnson

Dec 14, 2021, 4:08:26 PM12/14/21

David Heiden

Dec 14, 2021, 4:43:24 PM12/14/21
Has it been accepted by Charlemagne as a gateway ancestor, I descend from their son, William jr.

John Higgins

Dec 14, 2021, 9:02:25 PM12/14/21
On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 12:55:04 PM UTC-7, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> In 1957, John G. Hunt speculated that the paternal grandmother of Governor William Bradford, passenger in the Mayflower, was a daughter of Robert Morton and Alice Markham named Alice. This would provide Governor William Bradford several royal descnts through Alice Markham including two from Edward I. Has any further research been done on this?

I assume you're referring to the one-page note by John G. Hunt titled “A Possible Added Morton-Bradford Connection” in NEHGR, vol. 111, p. 68 (1957).

As to further research, you may want to read pp. 11-12 of the article at the link below, published in 2013, which questions some of Hunt's conclusions. (The link directly downloads the article as a PDF)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjwponQ0OT0AhVqpFsKHYK6ADQQFnoECAIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.njmayflower.org%2Fmember%2Fnews%2FNewsletterOct2013.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3vbPnI8D43948ijnzVOQvM

John Higgins

Dec 14, 2021, 9:14:37 PM12/14/21
This may be "a" pedigree of Morton, but it's not "the" pedigree of Morton. It's only marginally useful in relation to this thread, as it simply mentions "Robert Morton of Morton, ancestor of Morton of Bawtry, Co. York" without mentioning his wife or any descendants.

Two better pedigrees of this Morton family(albeit still with problems) can be found in the 1563/64 visitation of Yorkshire (Harleian Society, vol 16 pp. 212-213) and Hunter's Familiae Minorum Gentium, vol. 1 (Harleian Society, vol. 37 pp. 241ff).

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Dec 15, 2021, 8:57:36 AM12/15/21
Thanks for this, John.

John Higgins

Dec 15, 2021, 8:17:35 PM12/15/21
Correction: the article is on pp. 12-13, not 11-12, of the above link.

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Dec 16, 2021, 4:13:12 AM12/16/21
I still found it, though.

David Heiden