C.P. Addition: Maud Greystoke, wife successively of Eudes Welles, John Normanville, Esq., and John Haytfeld, Esq.

Douglas Richardson

Jul 30, 2014, 3:31:48 PM7/30/14
Dear Newsgroup ~

Complete Peerage 12(2) (1959): 443 (sub Welles) has a brief account of Eudes Welles, son and heir apparent of John Welles, Knt., 5th Lord Welles, by his 1st wife, Eleanor, daughter of John de Mowbray, Knt., 4th Lord Mowbray. Below is a copy of that information:

"Ives (or Eon) de Welles, son and heir apparent, by 1st wife, took part in the rebellion of 1405, for which he was fined 100 marks and pardoned 7 Aug. 1405. He had license to travel abroad, 20 Dec. 1407. He married Maud, daughter of Ralph (de Greystoke), 3rd Lord Greystoke by Katherine, daughter of Roger (de Clifford), 5th Lord Clifford. He d.v.p." END OF QUOTE.

The marriage of Eudes Welles and his wife, Maud Greystoke, is confirmed by two separate visitations and by a Greystoke family pedigree written by Sir Thomas Wriothesley:

1. Flower, Vis. of Yorkshire 1563-4 (H.S.P. 16) (1881): 151 (Grestoke ped.: "Mawde (Grestoke) nupta Domino de Welles.").

2. Harvey et al., Vis. of the North 3 (Surtees Soc. 144) (1930): 139-141 (Greystoke ped.: "Matildis nupta domino de Wellis").

3. Coll. Top. et Gen. 2 (1835): 160-161 (Greystock ped. written by Sir Thomas Wriothesley: "Matilda [Greystock], mar. Lord Wells"). This record may be viewed at the following weblink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Js0KAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA160

The death date of Eudes Welles is not known, but he was surely deceased sometime before 26 July 1417, on which date his father, John, Lord Welles,
settled lands in Bonthorpe, Lincolnshire on himself for life, with reversion to Lionel son of Eudes de Welles and Joan daughter of Robert de Waterton for life, remainder to the right heirs of John, Lord Welles [Reference: Cal. Inquisitons Post Mortem (1418-1422) 21 (2002): 304-307].

As noted above, Complete Peerage provides no further information regarding Eudes Welles' wife, Maud Greystoke. Recent research has turned up new evidence that Maud Greystoke survived Eudes Welles, and had two subsequent husbands, namely John Normanville, Esq., and John Haytfeld, Esq., both Lincolnshire men.

The evidence which proves Maud Greystoke's later marriages is found in lawsuits dated 1422 in the Court of Common Pleas:

1. In 1422 Richard Hagh and three others, executors of Thomas de Hagh, sued John Haytfeld, Gent., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and his wife Maud, widow and executrix of Eudes son and heir of John de Welles, Knt. in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of 10s. [Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/647, image 313f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no647/aCP40no647fronts/IMG_0313.htm)]

2. In 1422 William Bakester, clerk, sued John Haytfeld, Gent., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and his wife Maud, widow and executrix of John Normanvile, Esq., in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £4 12s. 6d. [References: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/647, image 352f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no647/aCP40no647fronts/IMG_0352.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/647, image 467d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no647/bCP40no647dorses/IMG_0467.htm)].

I further find that in 1435 John Haytfeld the elder, Esq., and his wife, Maud, and Richard Midelham, chaplain, settled 26 messuages and land in Winterton, Lincolnshire on the said John and Maud for life, with remainder to John, son of the said John, and the heirs of his body. The same year Thomas Mitford and Isabel his wife conveyed the reversion of seven messuages and lands in Winthorpe and Wainfleet, Lincolnshire to John Haytfeld the elder, Esq., and Maud his wife for life, with remainder to John Haytfeld the younger and Margaret his wife and the heirs of their bodies. [References: National Archives, CP 25/1/145/158, #18 (see abstract of fines at http:// www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/index.html)].

From the above information, it appears that Maud Greystoke and her 3rd husband, John Haytfeld, Esq., were living as late as 12 November 1435 (date of the two fines.). At the present time, I'm unable to determine if Maud was the mother of John Haytfeld's son, John Haytfeld, the younger, who was living in 1435.

I've copied below my file account of Eudes Welles and his wife, Maud Greystoke. For further information regarding their ancestry and descendants, please see my book, Royal Ancestry [5 volume set], published in 2013.

For interest's sake, the following is a list of the numerous 17th Century New World immigrants that descend from Maud (Greystoke) (Welles) (Normanville) Haytfeld:

Elizabeth Alsop, William Asfordby, Dorothy Beresford, Essex Beville, George & Nehemiah Blakiston, Joseph Bolles, James Cudworth, Anne Humphrey, Mary Launce, Anne, Elizabeth & John Mansfield, Herbert Pelham, George Reade, Diana & Grey Skipwith, John Stockman, John West.

+ + + + + + + + +

HENRY II, King of England, by a mistress, IDA DE TONY.
WILLIAM LONGESPÉE, Knt., Earl of Salisbury, married ELA OF SALISBURY.
IDA LONGESPÉE, married WILLIAM DE BEAUCHAMP, Knt., of Bedford, Bedfordshire.
MAUD DE BEAUCHAMP, married ROGER DE MOWBRAY, Knt., of Thirsk, Yorkshire.
ROGER DE MOWBRAY, Knt., 1st Lord Mowbray, married ROSE DE CLARE.
JOHN DE MOWBRAY, Knt., 2nd Lord Mowbray, married ALINE DE BREWES.
JOHN DE MOWBRAY, Knt., 3rd Lord Mowbray, married JOAN OF LANCASTER (desc. King Henry III).
JOHN DE MOWBRAY, Knt., 4th Lord Mowbray, married ELIZABETH DE SEGRAVE (desc. King Edward I) [see MOWBRAY 9].
ELEANOR MOWBRAY, married JOHN WELLES (or WELLE), Knt., 5th Lord Welles.

8. EUDES (or IVES) WELLES, son and heir apparent by his father's 1st marriage. He married MAUD GREYSTOKE, daughter of Ralph Greystoke, Knt., 3rd Lord Greystoke, of Greystoke, Cumberland, by Katherine, daughter of Roger de Clifford, Knt., 5th Lord Clifford [see GREYSTOKE 9 for her ancestry]. They had two sons, Lionel, K.G. [6th Lord Welles], and William, Knt. [Lord Chancellor of Ireland]. He took part in the rebellion of 1405, for which he was fined 100 marks and pardoned 7 August 1405. He had license to travel abroad 20 Dec. 1407. EUDES WELLES died testate sometime before 26 July 1417 (date of property settlement). His widow, Maud, married (2nd) JOHN NORMANVILLE (or NORMANVILE), Esq., Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1417-18. In 1418 he sued Thomas Wyntere, of Harpswell, Lincolnshire, bailiff, and five others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a reasonable account for the time they were receivers of money for the said John. The same year he sued Richard Holand, of Partney, Lincolnshire, bailiff, and five others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding an account for the time they were receivers of money for the said John. The same year he sued William Mapulbek, of Grantham, Lincolnshire, bailiff, and five others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding an account for the time they were receivers of money for the said John. JOHN NORMANVILLE, Esq., was living in 1418. His widow, Maud, married (3rd) before 1422 (date of lawsuit) JOHN HAYTFELD, Esq., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1423-24. In 1422 Richard Hagh and three others, executors of Thomas de Hagh, sued John Haytfeld, Gent., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and his wife Maud, widow and executrix of Eudes son and heir of John de Welles, Knt. in the Court of Common Pleas regardingt a debt of 10s. In the same year William Bakester, clerk, sued John Haytfeld, Gent., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and his wife Maud, widow and executrix of John Normanvile, Esq., in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £4 12s. 6d. In 1435 John Haytfeld the elder, Esq., and his wife, Maud, and Richard Midelham, chaplain, settled 26 messuages and land in Winterton, Lincolnshire on the said John and Maud for life, with remainder to John, son of the said John, and the heirs of his body. The same year Thomas Mitford and Isabel his wife conveyed the reversion of seven messuages and lands in Winthorpe and Wainfleet, Lincolnshire to John Haytfeld the elder, Esq., and Maud his wife for life, with remainder to John Haytfeld the younger and Margaret his wife and the heirs of their bodies. John Haytfeld, Esq., and his wife, Maud, were both living 12 November 1435 (date of fines).

Bridges, Hist. & Antiqs. of Northamptonshire 2 (1791): 92-94. Coll. Top. et Gen. 2 (1835): 160-161 (Greystock ped.: "Matilda [Greystock], mar. Lord Wells"). Banks, Baronies in Fee 1 (1844): 449-452 (sub Welles). Flower, Vis. of Yorkshire 1563-4 (H.S.P. 16) (1881): 151 (Grestoke ped.: "Mawde (Grestoke) nupta Domino de Welles."). List of Sheriffs for England & Wales (PRO Lists and Indexes 9) (1898): 79. D.N.B. 20 (1909): 1079-1080 (biog. of Lionel Welles). Clay, Extinct & Dormant Peerages (1913): 95-98 (sub Greystock). Harvey et al., Vis. of the North 3 (Surtees Soc. 144) (1930): 139-141 (Greystoke ped.: "Matildis nupta domino de Wellis"). Misc. Gen. et Heraldica 5th Ser. 8 (1932-34): 109-118 (1679 Saunders ped.); 5th Ser. 9 (1935-37): 44-48, 162-168. VCH Northampton 4 (1937): 167-172. C.P. 12(1) (1953): 9 (sub Slane); 12(2) (1959): 443 (sub Welles). VCH Essex 4 (1956): 265-267. Paget, Baronage of England (1957) 571: 2. TAG 37 (1961): 114-116; 38 (1962): 180. Cal. IPM 21 (2002): 304-307. Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 392f (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/aCP40no629fronts/IMG_0392.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 393f (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/aCP40no629fronts/IMG_0393.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 427f (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/aCP40no629fronts/IMG_0427.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 428f (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/aCP40no629fronts/IMG_0428.htm).
Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 1268d (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/bCP40no629dorses/IMG_1268.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 1269d (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/bCP40no629dorses/IMG_1269.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/629, image 1464d (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/bCP40no629dorses/IMG_1464.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/647, image 313f (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no647/aCP40no647fronts/IMG_0313.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/647, image 352f (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no647/aCP40no647fronts/IMG_0352.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/647, image 467d (available at http:// aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no647/bCP40no647dorses/IMG_0467.htm). National Archives, CP 25/1/145/158, #18 [see abstract of fines at http:// www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/index.html].

joe...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2014, 5:12:39 PM7/30/14
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:31:48 PM UTC-4, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>

> Complete Peerage 12(2) (1959): 443 (sub Welles) has a brief account of Eudes Welles, son and heir apparent of John Welles, Knt., 5th Lord Welles, by his 1st wife, Eleanor, daughter of John de Mowbray, Knt., 4th Lord Mowbray. Below is a copy of that information:

<snip>

> As noted above, Complete Peerage provides no further information regarding Eudes Welles' wife, Maud Greystoke. Recent research has turned up new evidence that Maud Greystoke survived Eudes Welles, and had two subsequent husbands, namely John Normanville, Esq., and John Haytfeld, Esq., both Lincolnshire men.

Great find on a family that has been previously very well studied !

Steve Riggan via

Jul 30, 2014, 5:49:49 PM7/30/14
to joecook, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Thanks, Douglas, for this information. I'm a descendant of the Greystoke/Welles marriage as are many others on SGM.

Best regards,

Steve Riggan

Sent from my iPhone

joe...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2014, 9:13:38 AM7/31/14
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:31:48 PM UTC-4, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>

> Complete Peerage 12(2) (1959): 443 (sub Welles) has a brief account of Eudes Welles, son and heir apparent of John Welles, Knt., 5th Lord Welles, by his 1st wife, Eleanor, daughter of John de Mowbray, Knt., 4th Lord Mowbray. Below is a copy of that information:

1431
Johannes Haytfeld de Flyxburgh in comitatu predicto, armiger, fuit seistus etc. de diversis terris et tenementis cum suis pertinenciis in BRADLE, et valent per annum ultra reprisas viginti li. et tenentur in socagio

Johannes Haytfeld de FLyxburgh in comitatu Linconie, armiger, fuit seistus etc. ut de jure Matilde uxoris sue de medietate manerii de Flyxburgh cum pertinenciis, quod tenetur per servicium di. partis un. f. un.

Douglas Richardson

Jul 31, 2014, 4:33:42 PM7/31/14
Dear Joe ~

Thanks for these references. Much appreciated.

You didn't identify your source but it is Feudal Aids 3 (1904): 267, 349, 362, 364, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015066345334;view=1up;seq=9

I find on pages 294 and 349 that John Haytfeld, Esq., also held lands and tenements at Swaby, Lincolnshire, where his wife's son, Lionel Welles, Lord Welles, held lands. As such, I presume John Haytfeld's lands in Swaby, Lincolnshire were part of the dower lands of his wife, Maud (Greystoke) (Welles) Normanville.

Regarding the residence of Maud Greystoke's 2nd husband, John Normanville, Esq., he appears to be "John Normanvyle of Smawes, esq.," who in 1416 granted William Bakester, rector of Adyll, an annual rent of 10s. 6d. from his lands in the vill of Oxton, which lands with property in the vills and territories of Tadcaster and Oxton, Yorkshire were granted to him by the said Bakester Reference: Yorkshire Deeds 1 (Yorkshire Arch. Soc. Recs. 39) (1909): 163-164, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YlHpGU3I7KIC&pg=PA163

Smaws is an estate in Tadcaster, Yorkshire, where a long line of the knightly family of Normanville resided for many generations. They are also associated with Killingwick (or Kilnwick), Yorkshire.

We can be virtually certain this is the correct John Normanville, Esq., because his widow and executrix, Maud, was sued in 1422 by William Bakester, clerk, who is surely the same individual involved in the 1416 grant.

There is an interesting D.Phil Thesis online entitled "Lincolnshire Gentry & the War of the Roses" by Jonathan Mackman which indicates that John Normanville, Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1417-18, resided at Kilnwick, Yorkshire. This material may be viewed at the following weblink:

http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/2492/1/DX210326.pdf

Mr. Mackman doesn't give his source, but he has probably correctly identified the right John Normanville. He errs in calling John Normanville a knight. The 1416 grant and the 1422 lawsuit indicate that John Normanville was only an esquire. He certainly wasn't a knight in 1417 when he served as Sheriff of Lincolnshire.

In 1443 I see that a William Normanville, Knt. was involved with lands at Tadcaster, Yorkshire [Reference: Yorkshire Deeds 1 (Yorkshire Arch. Soc. Recs. 39) (1909): 164]. I assume this would be a son, brother, or nephew of John Normanville, Esq., who married Maud Greystoke.

Douglas Richardson

Mar 31, 2021, 6:24:49 PM3/31/21
Dear Newsgroup ~

In a previous post in this thread dated 2014, I produced conclusive evidence from the Court of Common Pleas that Maud Greystoke, the known wife of Eudes (or Ives) Welles [son and heir apparent of Sir John Welles, 5th Lord Welles], survived him and had two additional marriages. This past year, I did further research in the records of the Court of Common Pleas. Upon doing so, I turned up yet another marriage for Maud Greystoke, namely to Sir Walter Fauconberge, of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and Withernwick, Yorkshire, who died in 1415. The evidence for this new marriage is found below.

Maud Greystoke has long been known to have had two sons by her marriage to Eudes (or Ives) Welles, namely Lionel (or Lyon) Welles, K.G. [6th Lord Welles], and William Welles, Knt. [Lord Chancellor of Ireland], both of whom have modern descendants. As it turns out, Maud Greystoke had four hitherto unknown children by her marriage to Sir Walter Fauconberge, namely one son, Roger Fauconberge, and three daughters, Margaret (wife of William Monceaux), Isabel (wife of Edmund Percehay and Gerard Sothill, Esq.), , and Constance (wife of Anthony Nuthill, Knt.).

By way of Sir Walter Fauconberge and Maud Greystoke's daughter, Isabel Fauconberge, Maud is ancestress of the 17th Century New World immigrant, William Wentworth, of Exeter and Dover, New Hampshire. As such, descendants of William Wentworth can now claim numerous Plantagenet and Magna Carta lines of descent.

For interest's sake, I've copied below my current file account concerning Maud Greystoke and her various marriages, together with additional information on her daughter, Isabel Fauconberge.

In closing, I wish to thank Terry J. Booth who proofread an earlier draft of my research and offered his comments.

Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

1. EUDES (or IVES) WELLES, son and heir apparent by his father’s 1st marriage. He married before 1406 MAUD GREYSTOKE, daughter of Ralph Greystoke, Knt., 3rd Lord Greystoke, of Greystoke, Cumberland, by Katherine, daughter of Roger de Clifford, Knt., 5th Lord Clifford [see GREYSTOKE 12 for her ancestry]. They had two sons, Lionel (or Lyon), K.G. [6th Lord Welles], and William, Knt. [Lord Chancellor of Ireland]. He took part in the rebellion of 1405, for which he was fined 100 marks and pardoned 7 August 1405. He had license to travel abroad 20 Dec. 1407. EUDES WELLES died testate at an unknown date. His widow, Maud, married 2nd) before 6 October 1414 (date of fine) WALTER FAUCONBERGE (or FAUCOMBERGE), Knt., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, Withernwick, Yorkshire, etc., son and heir of Roger Fauconberge, Knt., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, Holme on Spalding Moor, Yorkshire, etc., by Margaret, daughter of Robert Darcy [see FAUCONBERGE 10.ii for his ancestry]. They had had one son, Roger, and three daughters, Margaret (wife of William Monceaux), Isabel, and Constance (wife of Anthony Nuthill, Knt.). Sometime in the period, 1405–1408, Joan, widow of John Fauconberge, Knt., of Whitton, Lincolnshire [see BROMFLETE 14.i], granted him the manors of Pattishall and Rothersthorpe, Northamptonshire, together with an annuity of 59s. owed by Maud, widow of Thomas Wake, Knt., for all her holdings in Cardington, Bedfordshire to hold for the term of his life. In 1414 John Welyngouere and Agnes his wife, Robert Potande and Isabel his wife, and Joan Tranby, granted Walter and Maud his wife twelve messuages, lands, and a third part of one mill and one weir in Flixborough, Lincolnshire. SIR WALTER DE FAUCONBERGE died 1 Sept. 1415. He left a will dated 23 August 1415, proved 11 Sept. 1415; requesting burial in the church of the Virgin Mary in Guisborough, Yorkshire. He widow, Maud, married (3rd) JOHN NORMANVILLE (or NORMANVILE), Esq., of Smaws (in Tadcaster), Yorkshire, Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1417–18, presumably son and heir of John Normanville, of Smaws (in Tadcaster), Yorkshire. In 1416 John Normanvyle, Esq., of Smawes, granted William Bakester, rector of Adyll, an annual rent of 10s. 6d. from his lands in the vill of Oxton, which lands with property in the vills and territories of Tadcaster and Oxton, Yorkshire were granted to him by the said Bakester. In 1418 he sued Thomas Wyntere, of Harpswell, Lincolnshire, bailiff, and five others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a reasonable account for the time they were receivers of money for the said John. The same year he sued Richard Holand, of Partney, Lincolnshire, bailiff, and five others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding an account for the time they were receivers of money for the said John. The same year he sued William Mapulbek, of Grantham, Lincolnshire, bailiff, and five others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding an account for the time they were receivers of money for the said John. JOHN NORMANVILLE, Esq., was living in 1418. His widow, Maud, married (4th) before 1422 (date of lawsuit) JOHN HAYTFELD (or HATFELD, HATEFELD), Esq., of Flixborough, Bradley, and Swaby, Lincolnshire, Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1423–24. In 1422 Richard Hagh and three others, executors of Thomas de Hagh, sued John Haytfeld, Gent., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and Maud his wife, widow and executrix of Eudes son and heir of John de Welles, Knt. in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of 10s. In the same year William Bakester, clerk, sued John Haytfeld, Gent., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and Maud his wife, widow and executrix of John Normanvile, Esq., in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £4 12s. 6d. In 1423 he was granted the keeping of the county of Lincoln with issues and profits belonging to two farms and to the profits of the county, rendering £201 yearly. In 1427 William Girlyngton, Citizen and draper of York, sued John Haytfeld, Esq., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and Maud his wife in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £12 13s. 8d. In 1434 Robert Raudon sued William Normanvyll, Knt., of Smaws (in Tadcaster), Yorkshire, executor of the will of John Normanwyll, and John Haytfeld, Esq., of Flixborough, Lincolnshire, and Maud his wife, co-executrix of the said William of the said will, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £40. In 1435 John Haytfeld the elder, Esq., and Maud his wife and Richard Midelham, chaplain, settled 26 messuages and land in Winterton, Lincolnshire on the said John and Maud for life, with remainder to John, son of the said John, and the heirs of his body. The same year Thomas Mitford and Isabel his wife conveyed the reversion of seven messuages and lands in Winthorpe and Wainfleet, Lincolnshire to John Haytfeld the elder, Esq., and Maud his wife for life, with remainder to John Haytfeld the younger and Margaret his wife and the heirs of their bodies. In Easter term 1437 Roger Faucumberge sued John Haytfeld and Maud his wife in the Court of Common Pleas regarding waste and destruction in lands, houses, woods, etc., in Flixborough, Lincolnshire, which the said Maud held for life, and which John Ellerker and others formerly demised to the said Maud and Walter Faucumberge her late husband and the heirs of Walter (father of the said Roger, whose heir he is). The same term and year Roger Faucumberge sued John Hatefeld and Maud his wife in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the manor of Withernwick, Yorkshire, which he claimed as his right.