Which wife for Hugues II Borel of Burgundy ?

Arnaud C. Aurejac

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
I'm lost with 2 different and contradictory sources : which wife
married Hugues II Borel of Burgundy ? Mathilda of TURENNE, in 1110,
daughter of Boson Ier and Gerberga of Terrasson, as written by Jacques
Saillot in "Le Sang de Charlemagne" ? Or Mathilda of MAYENNE, circa
1116, daughter of Gauthier IV of Mayenne and Alix of Beaugency, as
said by Gaston Sirjean in "Encyclopedie Genealogique des Maisons
Souveraines du Monde". Is there any definite proof of either the first
or the second possibility ?

Many thanks in advance.

If you want to have a glance on my 16,000 ancestors base, let go to my
genealogy pages and ask all you want to know. If there is anything
wrong or missing, don't be reluctant to tell me. Thanks once more to
help me buiding these pages of European Medieval Genealogy.

Arnaud

Arnaud C. Aurejac
C.F.I.A.P.
Universite Paul Sabatier - Toulouse - France
E-Mail : aur...@ac-toulouse.fr
page web : http://toutatis.ups-tlse.fr/aurejac/
Look at GENTREE INTERNATIONAL genealogical program
download it and test it
Plus a 15,000 people genealogical database
work fax : (33) 561 558 202
home fax : (33) 563 649 854

Todd A. Farmerie

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Arnaud C. Aurejac wrote:

> I'm lost with 2 different and contradictory sources : which wife
> married Hugues II Borel of Burgundy ? Mathilda of TURENNE, in 1110,
> daughter of Boson Ier and Gerberga of Terrasson, as written by Jacques
> Saillot in "Le Sang de Charlemagne" ? Or Mathilda of MAYENNE, circa
> 1116, daughter of Gauthier IV of Mayenne and Alix of Beaugency, as
> said by Gaston Sirjean in "Encyclopedie Genealogique des Maisons
> Souveraines du Monde". Is there any definite proof of either the first
> or the second possibility ?

This issue was discussed many years ago by J. Richard. If I recall
correctly, he argued that the traditional link, Turenne, was in error,
and he supplied the Mayenne version. When I think of it I will look up
the precise details (drop me a line if I don't post anything in a few
days).

taf

Todd A. Farmerie

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Arnaud C. Aurejac wrote:

> I'm lost with 2 different and contradictory sources : which wife
> married Hugues II Borel of Burgundy ? Mathilda of TURENNE, in 1110,
> daughter of Boson Ier and Gerberga of Terrasson, as written by Jacques
> Saillot in "Le Sang de Charlemagne" ? Or Mathilda of MAYENNE, circa
> 1116, daughter of Gauthier IV of Mayenne and Alix of Beaugency, as
> said by Gaston Sirjean in "Encyclopedie Genealogique des Maisons
> Souveraines du Monde". Is there any definite proof of either the first
> or the second possibility ?

The wives of the Dukes of Burgundy were discussed by J. Richard in
Annales de Midi (or perhaps the Annales de Bourgogne, I wil have to
check my bibliography). He basically concludes that traditional
assignments for Henry (not Duke), Hugh I, Eudes I, and Hugh II were all
wrong. In the first case, he is traditionally given a wife named Sibyl,
based on an obituary for Sibyl, mother of the Duke of Burgundy (the
logic being that she must have been Henry's wife, since otherwise she
would be widow of a Duke, and called Duchess. Since it is far from
unusual for relationships to be cast in terms of the person currently
ruling, it would not be unlikely that a Duchess would be called mother
of the Duke. Thus the wife of Henry is stripped of a name. Richard
suggests Clemence instead, based on the appearance of this name among
the her descendants. This must also be rejected. Vajay has shown that
this name was brought into the Counts of Burgundy by the marriage of
William to Estephania, and since their daughter married Henry's son,
Duke Eudes, this would have served as the route for introducing this
name into the Dukes of Burgundy (it does not appear in the Portuguese
line, which descends from Henry and wife but not from Eudes). She must
remain nameless.

Next comes Hugh I. Traditionally married to Margaret, daughter of the
Count of Nevers, Richard shows that this was a result of confusion, and
that this Margaret was never Hugh's wife. It is not clear that Hugh was
ever married.

Eudes I is typically shown with wife Mahaut, daughter of William and
Estephania, but Richard shows her to have been Sibyl (the same "mother
of the Duke" previously assigned to Henry). Her parentage remains
correct.

Finally we have Hugh II. In two contemporary documents, his wife
Matilda, traditionally a member of the Turenne family, is described as
being of Mayenne. In addition, one document names her mother. These
allow her exact parentage to be established.

taf

Arnaud C. Aurejac

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
Thank you so much for your accurate explanations, but I didn't think
that these genealogies were so hypothetical and conjectural.

It seems a little like DFA ;-)

Regards,