Happy Halloween

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Nov 1, 2022, 8:19:58 PM11/1/22
Belated Happy Halloween to all followers of the newsgroup. Also Happy All Saints' Day and Happy All Souls' Day. All Saints'Day is a public holiday in Portugal.
Are there any genealogical figures associated with horror other than Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathóry?

joseph cook

Nov 1, 2022, 9:06:45 PM11/1/22
On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 8:19:58 PM UTC-4, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> Belated Happy Halloween to all followers of the newsgroup. Also Happy All Saints' Day and Happy All Souls' Day. All Saints'Day is a public holiday in Portugal.
> Are there any genealogical figures associated with horror other than Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathóry?

Robespierre, Mary Shelley

JBrand

Nov 1, 2022, 10:14:51 PM11/1/22
The Salem witches are considered desirable ancestors by some.

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Nov 9, 2022, 9:30:32 AM11/9/22
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the reply, Joe. Robespierre killed many people but I don't think he fits the concept oc horror that I meant. Also, how is he a genealogical figure? He didn't have children.

Peter Stewart

Nov 9, 2022, 7:31:49 PM11/9/22
More to the point in this forum is that Robespierre was not a medieval
figure, but since he was an individual with ancestors and relatives he
is of course a genealogical one.

He satisfies three of the four definitions for genealogy in the OED (of
which the middle two are labelled as obsolete):

" 1. An account of one's descent from an ancestor or ancestors, by
enumeration of the intermediate persons; a pedigree.
†2. Lineage, pedigree, family stock. Obs.
†3. Progeny, offspring. Obs.
4. The investigation of family pedigrees, viewed as a department of
study or knowledge."

You won't get very far in medieval genealogy by ignoring childless
members of a family. Researchers whose interest is confined to their own
biological ancestors are missing most of the picture and much of the fun.

Peter Stewart

www.avg.com

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Nov 10, 2022, 3:36:30 AM11/10/22
Thanks, Peter.

joseph cook

Nov 12, 2022, 2:58:28 PM11/12/22
Paolo,
To be honest, I picked someone childless and more recent intentionally as a (probably too subtle) but intentional way to poke at the use of the term "genealogical figure", which I take to mean "anyone who could be placed within a family tree", which I take to mean "all humans". We are all part of the puzzle.
--Joe C

Denis Beauregard

Nov 13, 2022, 10:18:31 AM11/13/22
On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 11:58:27 -0800 (PST), joseph cook
<joe...@gmail.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:

> To be honest, I picked someone childless and more recent intentionally as a (probably too subtle) but intentional way to poke at the use of the term "genealogical figure", which I take to mean "anyone who could be placed within a family tree", which I take to mean "all humans". We are all part of the puzzle.

In my database, I make a difference between isolated people and
someone having at least some basic geenalogical link. So I have but
won't display publicly

- soldiers or known people with a birth date or other data, but no
spouse and no parents

and I will display in lists like royal connections people with a link
to either their own family sheet with spouses (if married once) or
to their parents (if married many times or not married at all).

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - http://www.francogene.com/gfan/gfan/998/