Complete Peerage Addition: Elizabeth Fitzpayn, wife of Thomas de Audley and Hugh Courtenay

Douglas Richardson

Dec 14, 2006, 3:21:58 AM12/14/06
Dear Newsgroup ~

The authoritative Complete Peerage, 5 (1926): 463-464 (sub Fitzpayn)
has a good account of the life history of Sir Robert Fitzpayn (formerly
Robert de Grey), of Stogursey, Bridghampton, Cheddon Fitzpaine, Rodway,
etc., Somerset, who died 21 May 1393. According to this account, Sir
Robert Fitzpayn and his wife, Elizabeth de Bryan, had one daughter and
sole heiress, Isabel Fitzpayn, wife of Sir Richard de Ponynges (or
Poynings). This same information is likewise presented elsewhere in
Complete Peerage, 10 (1945): 662-663 (sub Poynings).

That Sir Robert Fitzpayn was survived by a single daughter, Isabel,
then widow of Sir Richard de Ponynges, is fully confirmed by several
inquisitions post mortem which were taken following Sir Robert
Fitzpayn's death. These inquisitions were dated variously 4 and 9
June, 12 June, and 25 June 1393. The inquisitions indicate that Sir
Robert Fitzpayn's heir was his daughter, Isabel de Ponynges, who was
stated to be aged 28 or 30, or born about 1363/5. Isabel was granted
livery of her father's lands 19 July 1393. She died soon afterwards 11
April 1394, being survived by her son and heir, Robert de Ponynges (or
Poynings).

It appears, however, that Sir Robert Fitzpayn had yet another daughter
who predeceased him, namely Elizabeth Fitzpayn, who married (1st)
Thomas de Audley, Knt., of Kingston and Tawstock, Devon, and (2nd)
shortly after 14 March 1386/7 (date of marriage arrangements) Hugh
Courtenay, Knt. (died 5 or 6 March 1425), of Goodrington (in Paignton),
South Allington, and Stancombe (in Sherford), Devon, Knight of the
Shire for Devonshire, Sheriff of Devonshire, 1418-1419 [Reference:
Roskell, House of Commons 1386-1421 2 (1992): 668-670 (biog. of Sir
Hugh Courtenay)].

Evidence of Elizabeth Fitzpayn's parentage is provided by her own
inquisition post mortem which was taken some years after her death on 8
March 1399. The inquisition indicates that Elizabeth, late wife of
Thomas de Audley, died 1 June 1394 [sic], and that her heir was Robert
de Ponynges, "aged 19 years at the feast of St. Andrew past [30
November] ... son of Isabel her sister." The inquisition further
states that Elizabeth and her husband, Thomas de Audley, had been
seised of lands at Stogursey, Wacher, and Durburgh, Somerset, which
lands came into the king's hands by the minority of Robert de Ponynges
as by the custody of the manor of Stogursey, Somerset which was held of
the king in chief [Reference: Cal. IPMs 17 (1988): 519-520].

The history of the castle and manor of Stogursey, Somerset is helpful
at this point. Research indicates that the reversion of the manor of
Stogursey, Somerset was settled in 1324 on Elizabeth Fitzpayn's father,
Sir Robert Fitzpayn, by Sir Robert's uncle, Robert Fitzpayn (the
elder), Lord Fitzpayn [Reference: Emanuel Green, Pedes Finium commonly
called Feet of Fines for the County of Somerset (Somerset Record
Society 12): 120]. Sir Robert Fitzpayn (father of Elizabeth) obtained
full possession of the manor of Stogursey in 1356, on the death of Ela,
widow of his uncle, Robert Fitzpayn, Lord FitzPayn [Reference: Complete
Peerage, 5 (1926): 463]. The castle and manor subsequently passed to
Sir Robert Fitzpayn's daughter and heiress, Isabel Fitzpayn (died
1394), wife of Richard de Ponynges, Lord Poynings; then to Isabel's son
Robert Ponynges, Lord Poynings (died 1446), who was succeeded by his
granddaughter, Eleanor, wife of Henry Percy, later earl of
Northumberland (died 1461). Eleanor died in 1484, and was followed by
her son, Henry Percy (died 1489), Henry's son Henry Algernon Percy
(died 1527), and Henry Algernon Percy's son Henry (died 1537),
successive earls of Northumberland [Reference: VCH Somerset, 6 (1992):
136-137].

While Elizabeth Fitzpayn's inquisition states that she died 1 June
1394, her death must actually have occured prior to 4 June 1393, when
the first of the inquisitions on her father's estates was taken naming
his sole heir as Elizabeth's sister, Isabel de Ponynges. Elizabeth
Fitzpayn must likewise have died before 11 Feb. 1393, on which date her
surviving husband, Hugh Courtenay, was pardoned for marrying without a
license his second wife, Elizabeth Cogan, widow of Fulk Fitz Warin, of
Whittington, Shropshire, Bere Charterie, Holne, Marwood, Nymet Tracey,
and Upexe, Devon, etc., and daughter and heiress of William Cogan,
Knt., of Bampton, Devon [Reference: Ward, Women of the English Nobility
& Gentry 1066-1500 (1995): 30-31]. Whatever the correct date of
Elizabeth Fitzpayn's death, she clearly predeceased her father which
explains why she was not mentioned in his inquisitions post mortem and
thus was overlooked by two different accounts in Complete Peerage.

Those parties interested in further information regarding Elizabeth
Fitzpayn and her 2nd husband, Sir Hugh Courtenay, may wish to consult
the following two sources: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, 35 (1984):
192-193 (biog. of Hugh Courtenay); Roskell et al., House of Commons
1386-1421 2 (1992): 668-670 (biog. of Sir Hugh Courtenay).
Descendants of Sir Hugh Courtenay by his other marriages are traced in
Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry (2004), and in Douglas
Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry (2005).

Douglas Richardson

Dec 16, 2006, 12:35:15 PM12/16/06
Dear Will ~

Yes, Sir Hugh Courtenay (died 1425) had four wives. His first wife was
Elizabeth Fitzpayn, widow of Sir Thomas Audley. She died without issue
on 1 June, probably in 1392. Her inquisition was taken some years
after her death on 8 March 1399. Evidence of this marriage (but not
Elizabeth's identification as daughter of Robert Fitzpayn, Knt.) is
presented in Roskell, House of Commons 1386-1421, 2 (1992): 668-670

(biog. of Sir Hugh Courtenay).

Sir Hugh Courtenay married (2nd) after 1 July 1392 and before 11 Feb.
1393 (date of pardon for marrying without a license) Elizabeth Cogan,

widow of Fulk Fitz Warin, of Whittington, Shropshire, Bere Charterie,
Holne, Marwood, Nymet Tracey, and Upexe, Devon, etc., and daughter and

heiress of William Cogan, Knt., of Bampton, Devon, and Huntspill,
Somerset, by Isabel, daughter and co-heiress of Nigel (or Neel) Loring,
Knt. She was born about 1373. They had no surviving issue. She died
29 Oct. 1397.

For further particulars on Sir Hugh Courtenay's life and his various
marriages, see Roskell cited above, as well as Douglas Richardson,
Plantagenet Ancestry (2004), and Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta
Ancestry (2005). Sir Hugh Courtenay was a younger son Edward Courtenay
(died c. 1368/71), of Goodrington (in Paignton), Devon, Prince's
Bachelor to Edward the Black Prince, by his wife, Emeline, daughter and
heiress of John Dauney, Knt.

For interest's sake, the following is a list of the 17th Century New
World colonists who descend from Sir Hugh Courtenay (died 1425), by his
later wives:

1. William Bladen.
2. Mary Launce.
3. George and Richard Parker.

WJho...@aol.com wrote:
< If Elizabeth, wife of Hugh Courtenay (d Mar 1425) of Goodrington,
died in
< 1399 per the above, then could she be the same "Elizabeth" who is
identified as
< the first wife of Hugh Courteney, knighted in 1395 of Haccombe, died
15 Mar
< 1425 (genealogics)
<
< See also AncestralRoots-0033">Ancestral Roots, pg 9</a>
<
< This later Hugh is said to be son of Edward /Courtenay/ of Godlington
by Emeline /Dawney/
<
< Is this the same Elizabeth ? It would be a bit odd to have TWO people
named
< Hugh Courtenay, both dying in the same month. This later Hugh, later
marred
< Philippa l'Archdekne "co-heir of her father" and thereby had a
daughter Joan who
< m Nicholas Carew of Mohuns Ottery (d 1447)
<
< This Joan Courtenay is assigned a birthyear of 1411 which certainly
allows
< Hugh's firstwife to have died in 1399. However this first wife is
also,
< elsewhere identified as Elizabeth COGAN dau of Miles Cogan, which
identification,
< this would presumably correct, else giving this Hugh four wives.
<
< Will Johnson

Leo van de Pas

Dec 16, 2006, 7:25:40 PM12/16/06
to GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com
It was good of Douglas Richardson to correct both Will Johnson and me by
pointing out the first wife of Sir Hugh Courtenay.

What I do not understand is his "For interest's sake, the following
list.........."
As Douglas Richardson is totally pre-occupied with Gateway Ancestors I had
hoped his list would be a little longer, whether 17th or 18th century.
Capt. Francis Champernoun, died 1687. Weiss gives him, is he no longer a
Gateway Person?
William Tryon 1729-1788
Alicia Arnold 1700-1746
Samuel Ogle 1702-1752
Hon.Robert Monckton 1726-1782

Sir Hugh Courtenay is also an ancestor of Tony Hoskins and Ian Fettes,

as well as Queen Elizabeth II, Albert II of Monaco, Camilla, Lady Diana
Spencer and Sarah Ferguson and many more interesting people.

With best wishes,
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia