Clagett, Brice

Jun 4, 2002, 5:55:25 PM6/4/02
Re:The Grey Sisters of Heton

It seems to be agreed that Sir Gerard Salvin married (1) Agnes
Mauleverer, and that in 1365 he had a wife Alice. I don't have
access to most of my records at the moment so can't give
citations.) It would appear that, from the record found by Rosie,
that he also married ______ Gray who died by 1362, and had son
John by her.. Thus Gerald seems to have married (1) Agnes
Mauleverer, (2) ____ Gray, (3) Alice _______. Comments?

Rick Eaton

Jun 4, 2002, 6:38:11 PM6/4/02
Brice:

Can you tell me where, which county, this Heton is. I assume
it to be a manor. Heton is considered one the the "vulgar"
(in the Victorian sense, that is dialectical) ways of saying
and spelling Eyton and Eaton. Thus, is can be a place name
or, possibly, the name of the Lord or tenant.

There are, of course, more than two dozen Eatons (places),
by any spelling, in England and Wales.

Rick Eaton

Voice: 203.453.6261 Fax:203.453.0076

eaton...@cshore.com

----------
>From: "Clagett, Brice" <bcla...@cov.com>
>To: GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com
>Subject: e
>Date: Tue, Jun 4, 2002, 5:55 PM

Rosie Bevan

Jun 4, 2002, 7:22:57 PM6/4/02
Hi Brice

As Sir Gerard Salvin's Grey wife was mother of his son and heir, John, it is
more likely that she was his first wife. This is particularly supported by
the petition in 1325 in which Thomas Grey refers to Gerard as his
son-in-law, when Gerard was still a minor.

Agnes (Maleverer) Salvin is mentioned as living in 22 Edw III (1348) in
Surtees' pedigree of Salvin of Croxdale.

There is a possibility that the Alice mentioned as Gerard's second wife
could actually have been his first wife. She is tentatively shown as an
ancestor of the Salvin of Newbiggin family in Surtees pedigree. In Tonge's
Visitation of Yorkshire in 1530, pedigree of "Sir Rauff Salven, knyght, of
Newbegynge" starts with "Syr John Salven maried the doughter of Graye of
Heton, of Northumberland".

Cheers

Rosie

Jun 5, 2002, 10:05:58 PM6/5/02
Wednesday, 5 June, 2002

Hello Brice,

Unless there is another Salvain-Soothill union you are aware of, I do not
show this connection occurring in the generation you indicated.

My records show as follows (the placement of _____ de Grey as mother of
John Salvain is based on his recognition as an heir of William de Grey, per
prior posts) :

1. Thomas de Gray, of Heton = Agnes
d. bef 12 Mar 1343

2. _____ de Gray [Alice ?] = Sir Gerard Salvain
of North Duffield & c.
b. bef 13 Mar 1308/9
d. 1373

3. John Salvain, heir of his father = __________
d.v.p. 1370

4. Sir Gerard Salvain = Alice
of North Duffield & c.
b. ca. 1357

5. 1. Muriel Salvain = Sir Gerard Soothill
of Redbourn, co. Lincs. d. 1410
2. Roger Salvain, of Herswell, d. bef 7 Mar 1422/3
3. John Salvain, of North Duffield
4. Thomas Salvain
5. Gerard Salvain, of Croxdale

Please let me know if further details would be helpful; I can readily
forward an .rtf file, including sources.

Hope this is of some help.

John *

* John P. Ravilious