A Domesday Descent: Hay of Aughton, and of Spaldington

The...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2006, 12:48:46 PM9/16/06
Saturday, 16 September, 2006

Hello All,

The family of Hay (or de la Haye) of Spaldington, and
especially the career of Thomas de la Haye (dvp after 1 July 1426)
and his heirs, has been previously discussed on SGM, and is of
some import as it can be found in the ancestry of many (possibly
most) list members, Queen Elizabeth II and many more besides [1].
With regard to this family, additional sources (and references to
additional sources not seen) have come to light which assist
in extending our knowledge of Thomas de la Haye's ancestry.

In his work "Tales of Justice and Vengeance", Paul Hyams
provides the following discourse concerning dealings between
Roger fitz Alured (or Alfred) and William fitz Anketin, and
subsequently between their descendants:

" The double marriage agreement made by William f. Peter of
Goodmanham and Thomas (II) Hay of Aughton, Yorks., in the last
years of the twelfth century was intended to bring to a mutually
satisfactory conclusion a long series of financial dealings
between their two substantial landholder families. Thomas's
grandfather, Roger f. Alfred, had held two of the Fossard fees
among other parcels in Henry II's reign (EYC ii, p. 423), and
William f. Peter was able to found a Gilbertine priory at
Ellerton (Clay 1973, 40-1). But William's grandfather, William
f. Anketin, had amassed debts to the king and certain regales
amounting to 60 m. or more. In order to persuade Roger f.
Alfred to pay these off for him, William the grandfather was
forced to gage some of his lands into the possession of the
Hays. This landed debt was still an issue in our William's
day. He made a conventio with Emma Hay, Roger's daughter,
which carried a cost. William confirmed to Emma right in the
gaged lands for her life unmolested and "in bono pacis". In
return for this life tenancy, she gave him back a mill at
Goodmanham, plus 6 bovates of land there and elsewhere,
together with an acknowledgement that the debt was thereby
fully discharged. The pair swore and gave faith to each
other that they would observe their agreement in full. But
Emma's son, Thomas, was neither a party nor among the
witnesses to this agreement, and may have had other ideas
about the lands. In the meantime, there was a change in the
lordship of which both families held after the death of
William (II) Fossard. Richard I's familiar, Robert of
Thornham, obtained from his king the Fossard heiress and
her considerable lands, then himself married her in 1197
(EYC, ii, pp. 328-9). It was probably soon after this that
William made a further concord with Thomas. Our copy
represents Thomas' quit-claim reciting under his seal
the discharge of the debt and gage in his mother's time.
(There was probably a parallel document made and sealed by
William on his side of the bargain.) In return, so Thomas
said, William gave to his own nephew, William of Burland,
6 bovates of land in Goodmanham with Thomas' daughter,
Emma (II). He also gave 5 bovates which had been the head
messuage (residence) of Emma (I) when she was in possession,
to Thomas' eldest son, Roger, with William of Burland's
sister, Christina. Though both of these endowments are
described as being in free marriage, with the implication
(in later law at least) that they carried at this stage no
homage or tenure in fee, the first was subject to its due
share of forinsec service (to the king) and the second was
said to be held in fee again for forinsec service. Heading
the long list of witnesses was Alan of Wilton, steward to
Robert of Turnham, which suggests that the agreement was
made and possibly brokered in the lord's court, where, for
example, Thomas was being sued a little later and thought
to have an advantage (Rot. de ob., 105). " [1]

I have not seen the documents referenced by Hyams (to be
found in Clay's Early Yorkshire Charters), but his lucid
analysis, taken together with the history of Spaldington
provided in Britton's Beauties of England [2], allows us to
reconstruct the generations from Alured, Domesday tenant in
Yorkshire, to the marriages of the issue of Thomas de la Haye
and of William fitz Peter's sister Agnes, probably say 1210-
1215, as indicated below.

Alured
held two manors in Owston,
co. Yorks. of Ilbert de Laci
at Domesday Book, 1086
Roger fitz Alured
tenant of Henry de Laci,
1166
Emma = NN de la Haye Peter = Christina
I _____________I_________
I I I
Thomas de la Haye Agnes = Adam de William
of Aughton, co. Yorks. I Linton fitz Peter
fl. 1197-1200 I fl. 1197-1200
I I
_________ I _______________________I_____________________
I I I I
I ___I___________________ I _______________ I
I I I I I I
William = Emma Roger = Christina Peter = Oliva
de de la de la I de Linton de la I de
Burland Haye Haye I Haye I Linton
(Linton) I I
: evidently I I
dsp Nicholas Sir Peter
de la Haye de la Haye
of Aughton, co. Yorks. of Spaldington
fl. 1258 fl. 1254
I I
V V
a quo a quo
HAY of Aughton de la HAYE
of Spaldington

It is my intention to provide more detailed (and documented)
pedigrees in one or more followup posts. Interestingly, there
are pedigrees of the de la Haye families in Dodsworth's MSS.,
which are at present unavailable to me. The foregoing may be
a reconstruction of the wheel: should anyone of the list have
recourse to Dodsworth (evidently vol. II, pp. 33-35) the
confirmation, or correction, of the foregoing would be most
appreciated.

Cheers,

John *

NOTES

[1] Paul R. Hyams, Rancor & Reconciliation in Medieval England
(Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press, 2003), p. 286. An earlier
draft version can be found online, at

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/prh3/bktales.html

[2] John Britton, et al., The Beauties of England and Wales, or
Delineations, Topographical, Historical and Descriptive, of
Each County (London: Thomas Maiden, 1812), XVI:570.
Concerning the lands and old families holding manors between
Howden and the Wolds, Britton wrote (in part),

' Among these may be reckoned the Tysons of Gunby, the
Fitz-Peters, the De la Hayes, and the Vavasours of
Spaldington,.....
In the beginning of the thirteenth century we find the
Vescis seated at Spaldington; Eustace de Vesci, who was
killed before Barnard castle in the year 1216, and William
Fitz-Peter a descendant of Anketine, nephew of Nigel
Fossard who came into England at the conquest, were joint
lords of that manor. William Fitz-Peter, lord of
Spaldington, dying without issue, his estates devolved on
his sister Agnes, widow of Adam de Linton. She had a son
named William, who left no issue, and two daughters.
Oliva, the eldest, married Peter de la Haye of Spaldington;
Christina, the other daughter, was the wife of Roger Hai of
Aughton. Thomas de la Haye, who died A.D. 1369, was sole
lord of the manor of Spaldington. '

* John P. Ravilious

al...@mindspring.com

Sep 16, 2006, 2:30:26 PM9/16/06

The...@aol.com wrote:
> Saturday, 16 September, 2006

Great work one again John.

Domesday Descendants, p 864.

Roger filius Aluredi.

"heir was his daughter Emma, wife of Thomas fitz Roger Hay of Aughton
and mother of Thomas II Hay"

Cites to EYC Families
and Red Book of the Exchequer, pps 421-424 and 427-428.

Doug Smith

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Sep 17, 2006, 6:07:06 AM9/17/06
In message of 16 Sep, The...@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

> Alured
> held two manors in Owston,
> co. Yorks. of Ilbert de Laci
> at Domesday Book, 1086
> Roger fitz Alured
> tenant of Henry de Laci,
> 1166

While Keats-Rohan indeed says of Alured in Domesday People, p. 145
"Possibly ancestor of the family of Hay of Aughton" I do not think that
this makes Alured to be the father of Roger fitz Alured.

> Emma = NN de la Haye

C T Clay's Early Yorkshire Families, pp. 40-1, on the HAY (of Aughton
family) says:

"The family descended from Nigel whose son Roger Hay held land in North
Cave of the Fossard fee, c. 1135-1148 and 1148-56. In 1166 Roger son
of Roger held 2 knights fees of William Fossard, consisting of land in
Huggate, North cave, Everthorpe (par. N. Cave), Aughton and Laytham
(par. Aughton). He was the founder of Thicket priory, and was
succeeded by his son Thomas who confirmed gifts in North Cave made by
his father Roger Hay to St Peter's hospital, c. 1175-1188. Thomas
married Emma daughter and heir of Roger son of Alvred, and died before
Michaelmas 1190, when Thomas son of Thomas paid 100s for a recognition
of the death of his father respecting land in Aughton and Goodmanham,
of which Roger de Hay was deforcing him."

In the footnotes, Clay includes references almost entirely to Farrer's
(now very rare) Early Yorkshire Charters vol II and of which I don't
have a copy so am for the moment stuck.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          t...@powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Sep 17, 2006, 6:10:32 AM9/17/06

The DP cite to 'EYC families' is syntactically different to that for the
Red Book. The former is in the body of the text as someone who wrote on
the subject, the latter is in the list of source documents. In fact
"Early Yorkshire [no 'C'] Families" itself cites for this descent mainly
Early Yorkshire Charters vol II by Farrer and of which I regret I do not
have a copy so cannot see what its real sources are.

al...@mindspring.com

Sep 17, 2006, 10:31:29 AM9/17/06

Hi Tim and John

'C T Clay's Early Yorkshire Families, pp. 40-1, on the HAY (of Aughton
family) says:

"The family descended from Nigel whose son Roger Hay held land in
North

Cave of the Fossard fee, c. 1135-1148 and 1148-56."'

Curious if this Nigel may be the same as the Nigel Fossard who d. abt.
1120. IF so, the later marriage would have reunited parts of the fee.

Roger filius Alured was son of an Alured, but given the chronology
there may have been an Alured filius Alured (pure speculation)
intervening generation.

As to the references, I was just passing them on to John in case he
hadn't seen them yet.

Doug

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Sep 17, 2006, 11:00:13 AM9/17/06
In message of 17 Sep, "al...@mindspring.com" <al...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim and John
>
> 'C T Clay's Early Yorkshire Families, pp. 40-1, on the HAY (of Aughton
> family) says:
>
> "The family descended from Nigel whose son Roger Hay held land in
> North Cave of the Fossard fee, c. 1135-1148 and 1148-56."'
>
> Curious if this Nigel may be the same as the Nigel Fossard who d. abt.
> 1120. IF so, the later marriage would have reunited parts of the fee.

I read that the Nigel concerned was Nigel Hay whose son was Roger Hay.
That this Nigel [probably Hay] held land of the Fossard fee did not mean
that he was related to the Fossards, though he might have been.

> Roger filius Alured was son of an Alured, but given the chronology
> there may have been an Alured filius Alured (pure speculation)
> intervening generation.

There may indeed. But the intervening generation could have been an
heiress as Alfred was not an uncommon name. We await evidence.

al...@mindspring.com

Sep 17, 2006, 1:22:31 PM9/17/06

Nigel was the father of Roger Hay but what else he was called is not
clear from the wording. Evidence is clearly required.

There certainly may have been an heiress in the intervening generation
(or not). Evidence is clearly required to establish exact
relationships.

Reconstructions are clearly speculative as evidence accumulates.

Doug

John P. Ravilious

Sep 17, 2006, 3:43:28 PM9/17/06
[reposted due to unknown whereabouts of the original......]

Sunday, 17 September, 2006

Dear Tim, Doug, et al.,

Thanks to both Tim and Doug, for the sources and citations
(and observations) of the past two days. Many thanks also to
Rosie Bevan, who kindly provided the necessary details from
Farrer's EYC (and from Early Yorkshire Families) to help resolve
at least some of the uncertainties involved with the Hays (de
la Hayes) of Aughton, and of Spaldington.

I provide below the revised chart showing the relationships
of the individuals as set out in Early Yorkshire Charters
II:422-423, no. 1130 (including the ancestry of William fitz
Peter as described by Farrer in his explanatory note). I will
provide further details once all the extractions from EYC and
EYF are complete, but thought it would be useful to 'lay this
out' meanwhile.

Nigel
Alured Roger fitz Nigel Anketine
I tenant in North Cave I
I of Fossard, ca. 1135-1156 I

I I I
I I I

Roger fitz Alured Roger fitz Roger William fitz
tenant of Henry de Laci, tenant of William Anketine
1166 Fossard, 1166 I
I _____________I _____________I
I I I
Emma = Thomas 'I' de Peter = Christina
I la Haye I
I d. bef 1191 I

I _____________I_________
I I I

Thomas 'II' de la Haye Agnes = Adam de William

of Aughton, co. Yorks. I Linton fitz Peter
fl. 1197-1200 I fl. 1197-1200

d. bef 1228 I

I I
_________ I _______________________I_____________________
I I I I
I ___I___________________ I _______________ I
I I I I I I
William = Emma Roger = Christina Peter = Oliva
de de la de la I de Linton de la I de
Burland Haye Haye I Haye I Linton

(Linton) d. aft I I
dsp (?) 1243 I I
__________I______ I
I I I
William John Sir Peter
de la Haye de la Haye de la Haye
of Aughton of Aughton of Spaldington
dsp bef 1251 fl. 1251 fl. 1254

I I
V V
a quo a quo
HAY of Aughton de la HAYE
of Spaldington

Of the interesting items that merit further discussion, and
documentation:

1. There may be details in Domesday Descendants re: William
fitz Anketine, grandfather of William fitz Peter, as well
as Anketine (Aschitel/Anketil ?) himself - who might also
appear in Domesday People, for all we currently know.

2. The text of the charter, and notes, from EYC II:422-3
are concerned with Aughton, and Goodmanham, and the
arrangments concerning same (Roger de la Haye m.
Christina de Burland/Linton, and Emma de la Haye m.
William de Burland/Linton). There is no mention of
Spaldington, or other family members of this generation,
but the text makes it apparent there were other sons of
Thomas 'II' de la Haye: ' Rogero filio meo primogenito '
[" Roger, my firstborn son "] is identified as the
beneficiary of the agreement, so we know there were
younger sons.

From whence Britton found the details re: Peter de la
Haye (of Spaldington) as a younger son, and husband of
Oliva de Burland/Linton is not as yet apparent, but this
is from one or more sources outside EYC as it now appears.
The earliest mention I have found to date of this branch
is of Sir Peter de la Haye, who was evidently a son of
the Peter de la Haye and Oliva above:

' Sir (D'ns) Peter de la Haye holds half a fee in
Spaldington of the Barony of Mubraye, and pays yearly
6s. 8d. That land is worth five marcs. ' - IPM of Robert
de Greystoke, son of William, extent dated 15 May 1254
[Yorks. Inq. I:37]

More to follow; meanwhile, my thanks to you all for what has
been resolved to date.

Cheers,

John

al...@mindspring.com

Sep 18, 2006, 6:40:37 AM9/18/06

John P. Ravilious wrote:
> [reposted due to unknown whereabouts of the original......]
>
> Sunday, 17 September, 2006
>

> Dear Tim, Doug, et al.,

> snip

> Of the interesting items that merit further discussion, and
> documentation:
>
> 1. There may be details in Domesday Descendants re: William
> fitz Anketine, grandfather of William fitz Peter, as well
> as Anketine (Aschitel/Anketil ?) himself - who might also
> appear in Domesday People, for all we currently know.

DD pps. 866-867:

a. William fitz Anschetil, "son of Ansquetil, a Domesday tenant of
Colswein of Lincoln and Jocelyn for Lambert".

b. William fitz Anschetil, " Son of Ansquetil fitz Humphrey, with whom
he occurs in a grant of 60 acres of Presthow to Warter Abbey". see EYC
X: 80.

Not clear if either of these two is the one we are looking for.

Doug

The...@aol.com

al...@mindspring.com

Sep 18, 2006, 7:36:26 PM9/18/06
Hi John

I am curious to know where one can find the Hay of Aughton descent. I
am not familiar with it. Haye of Spaldington as you have posted online
is more obvious but still contains gaps.

Doug

The...@aol.com

Sep 18, 2006, 7:48:35 PM9/18/06
Monday, 18 September, 2006

Dear Tim, Doug, et al.,

Thanks to Doug for those items from Domesday Descendants re:
the various Williams (fitz Anschetil/Anketin). I agree, there
is insufficient detail at first glance to try and identify which
William is 'our' William.

With regard to the matter of the Spaldington line, Clay noted
the holdings in Spaldington of German de la Haye in 1284-5, and
said further,

' The mention of Spaldington suggests a connexion with the
family of de la Hay of that place; but this has not been
traced (E.Y.C., xii, p. 88). William son of Peter held an
interest there (ibid., no. 72). ' [1]

It is interesting in particular that there is material in
Early Yorkshire Charters indicating that William fitz Peter
(uncle of the spouses of Thomas de la Haye's children: see
first post in this thread) held an interest in Spaldington.
This is what Britton noted in his discussion (with minimal
details) of the passage of Spaldington from William fitz
Peter to the de la Hayes of Spaldington (quote also given
in first post of this thread).

The earliest record of tenure in Spaldington that I find
is that given in the IPM of Robert de Greystoke (extent dated
15 May 1254), which states that ' Sir (D'ns) Peter de la Haye

holds half a fee in Spaldington of the Barony of Mubraye, and

pays yearly 6s. 8d. That land is worth five marcs. ' [3] This
is evidently the same holding that (Sir) Peter de la Haye
(probably grandson of the 1254 tenant) held at of the Mowbray
fee at the time of Kirkby's Inquest in 1284-5, and still (if
slightly reduced in size) in 1302-3 [see note 2 below].

Should anyone have access to the details of William fitz
Peter's holding in Spaldington, that may well answer the
question as to the source of Peter de la Haye's Spaldington
lands, and will give a better idea (if not proof) as to the
validity of the relationship as set forth by Britton.

Cheers,

John

NOTES

[1] Clay, Early Yorkshire Families, p. 42, note (3), citing
Feudal Aids, vi, 45-6 and other sources (given in
quote above).
The portion of the text on p. 42 relevant to this question,
to which note (3) relates, is as follows:

' At the death of Peter de Mauley II in 1279 German Hay held
1 1/2 fees in Aughton; and in 1284-85 he was a tenant of the
Mauley fee in Spaldington, Laytham, Aughton, Huggate,
Everthorpe and North Cave <3>. '
' In 1319 Roger Hay of Aughton was a tenant of Peter de Mauley
IV....... and in an extent of lands made in 1384 after the
death of Peter de Mauley VI 14 carucates in Everthorpe, Cave,
Goodmanham, Laytham and Aughton were held by the heirs of
German del Haye be the service of a knight's fee <6>.'

[2] Kirkby's Inquest, dated 1284-5

Wapentake of Harthill, East Riding (p. 83):

' Spaldington. Item idue Petrus [de Mauley] habet in
Spaldington iij car. et j bov. et di. in feodo; unde
Russell (sic), Walterus Bathell, et haer' Johannis
del Hay tenent totum de Germano le Hay, et Germanus
le Hay del Maulay. '

Knights' Fees in Yorkshire, dated 1302-3:

Spaldington (p. 252):

' De feodo de Moubrai iiij car. terrae vij bov. di.
Osbertus de Spaldington tenet j car ij bov. di.,
Custancia de la Haie iiij bov., Philippus de la Haie
di. car., Petrus de la Haie residuum, - unde xviij
car. terrae faciunt feod.
De feodo de Mortuo Mari iij car. terrae j bov.
Rogerus de Spaldington tenet ij car. di. j bov.,
Osbertus de Spaldington di. car., - under xvj faciunt
feod.
De feodo de Malo Lacu ij car. et vj bov.
Petrus de la Haie tenet di. car., Osbertus de
Spaldington di. car., Johannes Malurer v bov., Johannes
filius Thomae vj bov., haeredes Walteri le Bacheler
iiij bov., - under xvj faciunt feod. '

[3] William Brown, ed., Yorkshire Inquisitions, I:37.

* John P. Ravilious

John P. Ravilious

Sep 18, 2006, 7:56:58 PM9/18/06
Dear Doug,

I've not seen the Aughton pedigree assembled to date; that is
(hopefully) one of the end results of the current effort.

Cheers,

John

robertb...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2018, 11:08:25 AM12/17/18
This is an attempt to further expand the Family of William fitz Ansquetil ( Anketin) who gifted lands to Warter Priory. This is in response to an old post in 2006.

At the time of the DB survey Humphrey,man of Ernies de Buron held Stillingfleet, Yorks, he also held of Gilbert Tison at Houghton, Yorks. Pase Domesday.

http://domesday.pase.ac.uk/Domesday?op=5&personkey=54868

http://domesday.pase.ac.uk/Domesday?op=5&personkey=54878

Domesday People K.S.B. Rohan: Humphrey, norman, Domesday tenant of Gilbert Tison and Erneis de Buron. Early benefactor of St. Mary's, York.

Humphrey DB 1086
..Anketin (Ansquetil fitz Humphrey) Donated land to Guysborough Priory [1119-1135], also gifted land at Presthow to Warter Priory.
.....1. William fitz Anketin ( William, son of Ansquetil fitz Humphrey)
........1a Peter de Goodmanham
...........1.a.1 William fitz Peter Goodmanham

.....2. Ivo fitz Anketin [de Karkeni] alias Ivo de Hessle [see also Karkem, Charchem Kirkham, Kirketon, Kirton. 1 (e) gift by Ivo de Karkeni with the consent of John his son to Guisborough priory of the church of Hessle
............2.a John de Hesse temp. 1180 & 1189 gift to canons of Ferriby.
............. 2.a.1 Robert de Hessle, also known as Robert de Goodmanham kt. of Lincolnshire in 1212. It should be noted that Gilbert Tison held land in Goodmanham.
............2.b William,son of Ivo = Lecia wife of William [temp. 1292-1301 at Kirketon]

Both branches carried the name Goodmanham and Gilbert de Tison had held land in Goodmanham.

In relation to Warter Priory, it may be important to note that Geoffrey fitz Pain, received much of Ernies de Buron's lands and founded Warter abbey in 1132. Payn had a brother named "Payn brother of Geoffrey", Lindsey Survey, 2 1/2 bov's of Ownby Spital, Linconshire.

Payn
..1. Geoffrey fitz Pain
..2. Payn
.......2.a Osmund
...........2.a.1 Robert fitz Osmund- land at Presthow , gifted to Warter Priory between 1150-1160, confirmed by William, son of Anketin perhaps the same person as Robert fitz Osmund Basset who held land in Arnold, Yorks. If so, he is perhaps the Robert, son of Osmund (Robert Basset of Riston), who married Beatrice, sister of Ivo de Harcourt, by and was given land in Newbold Saucy, Lincs and Wolvey. This Riston is probably not Rishton / Rushton,Northants as seen in many references to this place, the Robert Basset as this time period seems to be too early for Rushton, Northampshire.

VCH (Leics), V, sub Owston, 271:

Not later than 1166, Ansketil (de Saucy [sic]) granted half of
Newbold Saucey to Robert son of Osmund; Ansketil's overlord was Ives
de Harcourt and his family probably came from La Saussaye (Eure), a
fief of the Norman branch of the Harcourts.[24] Robert son of Osmund
later granted the property to Owston Abbey.[25]

RB

robertb...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2018, 9:54:03 AM12/18/18
Further info:

Stillingfleet ,Yorkshire - Domesday 1086

In 1066 Grim held 2 carucates in Stillingfleet, which in 1086 were held by Hunfrid, Erneis de Burun's man. (fn. 197) The estate evidently passed, like West Cottingwith, successively to Geoffrey son of Pain, William Trussebut, Hilary de Builers, and William de Ros. (fn. 198) The overlordship descended in the Ros family (fn. 199) and was last mentioned in 1454. (fn. 200)

William f. Peter [Goodmanham] was able to found a Gilbertine priory at
Ellerton (Clay 1973, 40-1)

William fitz Anketil confirms a donation of "Robert son of Osmund" of 1/2 carucute of Presthow. Robert's gift was given between 1150-1160.

here: charter #89 https://books.google.ca/books?id=enivyXE1MNIC&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=Presthow+to+Warter+Abbey%22.+see+EYC+X:+80.&source=bl&ots=qTtN9A2_qx&sig=KX3-xo-J41_NdYJzn---bFnUuEk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjClsWYnZ_eAhWEMd8KHS-3CnMQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Presthow%20to%20Warter%20Abbey%22.%20see%20EYC%20X%3A%2080.&f=false

Wiliam fitz Ansketil confirms his fathers gift of land also at Presthow about 1160.

RB

robertb...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2018, 10:32:54 AM12/18/18

Wibs

Dec 19, 2018, 3:30:24 AM12/19/18
I hope there is further useful info on my One-Place site for Ellerton Priory:

http://www.ellerton.info/history/ellerton-priory.html

Wibs

robertb...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2018, 10:21:51 AM12/20/18
Thank you Wibs, your link produced:

William, fil. Petri, for the good of the souls of Peter and Christian, his father and mother, and of Alice, his wife; gave twelve acres of land in this territory M.a.v.2, p.822, et v.3 p. 825

Nicholas de Middleton confirmed the grant of one oxgang of land in Beverley to the monastery of Ellerton in Spaldingmere with a toft, and Alexander the carpenter, with all his family and their cattle, as his brother Richard de Middleton had held the same, which was confirmed by Fulco Basset provost of Beverley about the year 1229 These premises were again confirmed to the same monastery in 1253 by sir William Ross. Mon.Ebor, page 261

The mention of Fulco Basset who was active in 1241, as provost of Berverly is interesting, when I searched leavening, next to Arnold, Yorkshire, I found Fulco gifts land that were held by his ancestors. I suspect these are Basset Anscestors. Robert,son of Osmund is Robert Basset- temp. 1150-60, who held land in Arnold of the Ros fee. A later Robert Basset in 1264 was Constable of Helmsley (Hamlake) Castle, Yorkshire, under the Ros family.

In addition in another source which seems to confirm the pedigree of interest: William fitz Anschetil, " Son of Ansquetil fitz Humphrey, with whom he occurs in a grant of 60 acres of Presthow to Warter Abbey". see EYC
X: 80.

RB

Wibs

Jan 11, 2019, 5:03:44 AM1/11/19
Another resource RB. Have you seen the revised notes on the Hays of Aughton, together with their tree which includes William, son of Anketin, in the Cartulary of St Leonard's Hospital, York, published in 2015?

Wibs

Wibs

Nov 18, 2019, 9:03:38 AM11/18/19
I am surprised that no-one has replied to this post, given that Carpenter (Cartulary of St Leonard's Hospital, York, pp. 677-685)has completely undone the early pedigree of the Hays of Aughton.

Wibs

robert.the...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2022, 8:40:40 AM11/24/22
Message to Wibs: Can you please supply the early pedigree of the Hays of Aughton or a working link to the info. I'm very interested.

Robert

Wibs

Nov 25, 2022, 5:17:29 AM11/25/22
If you can provide an email address I can send you what I have.

robert.the...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2023, 7:50:25 PM1/23/23
Sorry Wibs, I just noticed your reply, my email robert(period)thecomp...@gmail.com
Looking forward to seening this..if you have any info on the Scures who appear in the same index that would be marvelous.
Thanks

Wibs

Jan 28, 2023, 5:26:15 AM1/28/23
All sent