Hatton of Maryland

christoph...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 5:46:14 PM7/8/13
The origins of Thomas Hatton, Secretary of State and attorney-general of the Province of Maryland under Cecil Calvert, have been subject of much speculation and conjecture. Thomas Hatton arrived in Maryland in 1648, with his wife, Margaret, and two sons, Thomas and Robert. A year later, he transported his brother Richard's widow, and her children William, Richard, Elizabeth, Barbara, Mary and Eleanor. Thomas Hatton was killed at the Battle of the Severn (sometimes called "last battle of the English Civil War") in 1655.

I recently discovered this examination of the English origins of Thomas and Richard Hatton, by a William Good; Mr Good presents persuasive and, it seems to me, conclusive evidence, relying on wills, pedigrees, and handwriting, to wit:

One Robert Hatton, curate of St Botolph's, Bishopsgate, London, was married in June of 1637 to Elizabeth Kinson, widow. One Thomas Hatton signed the marriage allegation as bondsman; this Thomas Hatton's signature is identical with that of Thomas Hatton, secretary of Maryland.

Further, a pedigree in Ormerod's History of Chester for Domville of Lymme shows Margaret, daughter of Edward Domville by Eleanor Leycester, as "wife of Richard Hatton, son of Robert Hatton rector of Lymme, remarried to ... Bankes". Margaret Hatton, widow of Richard Hatton, married Richard Banks. (see http://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyp00orme#page/436/mode/2up)

If my sources are correct, Edward Domville has two descents from Edward I, as follows:

Edward Domville + Eleanor Leycester
Gilbert Domville + Margaret Sneyde (daughter of Sir William Sneyde of Bradwell)
Peter Domville + Margaret Carrington
Sir John Carrington + Ellen Warburton
Sir John Warburton + Jane Stanley
Sir William Stanley + Elizabeth Hopton
Thomas, Lord Stanley + Joan Goushill
Sir Robert Goushill + Elizabeth Fitzalan
Richard Fitzalan, Earl of Arundel + Elizabeth de Bohun
William de Bohun, Earl of Northampton + Elizabeth de Badlesmere
Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Essex + Elizabeth of England
Edward I + Eleanor of Castile

alternate:

Sir William Stanley + Elizabeth Hopton
Sir Thomas Hopton + Eleanor Lucy
Sir Walter Lucy + Eleanor l'Arcedeckne
Sir Reginald Lucy + Margaret Mowbray
John de Mowbray, 4th Lord Mowbray + Elizabeth de Segrave
John de Segrave, 4th Lord Segrave + Margaret, Duchess of Norfolk
Thomas of Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk + Alice de Hales
Edward I + Marguerite of France

Richard Hatton's American descendants include F Scott Fitzgerald, Francis Scott Key, Charles Carroll (signer of the Declaration of Independence), and Julia Boggs Dent, wife of Ulysses Grant, among others.

christoph...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 8:32:03 PM7/8/13

Douglas Richardson

Jul 15, 2013, 11:13:19 PM7/15/13
It is doubtful that that Elizabeth Hopton was the mother of Sir William Stanley's daughter, Joan (or Jane) Stanley, as you allege.

Elizabeth Hopton was born about 1427 (aged 34 in 1461). She and Sir William Stanley were married by 7 Dec. 1471, when she was about 44 years old.

As such, it is unlikely that Elizabeth is the mother of any of Sir William's children. Unlikely but not impossible.

DR

Leo van de Pas

Jul 15, 2013, 11:29:38 PM7/15/13
to Douglas Richardson, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Gary Boyd Roberts in his 600 Immigrants, published 2004, page 361 has that
Joan/Jane was -probably- by Elizabeth Hopton It would be great if certainty,
one way or the other, could be established.

With best wishes
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia

Douglas Richardson

Jul 19, 2013, 1:01:25 PM7/19/13
Dear Christopher ~

This past week I reviewed William Good's discussion of the English origins of the immigrant, Thomas Hatton, of Maryland, which you cited in your post below. I agree with you that Mr. Good has presented excellent evidence that the immigrant, Thomas Hatton, is the son of Rev. Robert Hatton, of Lymme, Cheshire.

Mr. Good's material may be found at the following weblink:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wrag44/Opinion_Pieces/The_Origins_of_Thomas_Hatton.pdf

Regarding the alleged Domville ancestral line you mentioned, I must admit that your post confused me as to who exactly has that descent. After going through various sources on the Hatton family, I finally realized that the Domville line in question is in the ancestry of Thomas Hatton's sister-in-law, Margaret (Domville) (Hatton) Bankes, who also immigrated to Maryland. Margaret Domville was the widow of Thomas Hatton's brother, Richard Hatton. She has numerous modern descendants.

I haven't had time to confirm that Margaret Domville's father, Edward Domville, of Lymme, Cheshire, died 1639, descends from Sir William Stanley, K.G., 3rd husband of Elizabeth Hopton.

However, I have located a copy of the funeral certificate of Edward Domville at the following weblink. This certificate sets out the names of Edward Domville's wife and children.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9QQVAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR29

With regard to the question of whether or not Elizabeth Hopton was the mother of Sir William Stanley's daughter, Joan (or Jane) Stanley, I find that Ormerod places the date of the marriage contract of Joan Stanley and her husband, Sir John Warburton, as 2 Henry VII [1486-7].

Specifically, Ormerod states that in that year Peter Warburton (father of John) contracted for the marriage of his son and heir apparent, John Warburton, with Johanna [Joan], daughter of Sir William Stanley of Holt; and in the same year [he] settled Sutton Hall, etc. on William, son of sir William Stanley, for the use of Johanna [Joan] for life, [with] remainder to his son and heir apparent John, remainder to his younger son, Peter Warburton.

Ormerod's comments can be found at the following weblink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DYY1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA572

Since daughters of families of this rank were usually married at about aged 15 years, this would place Joan Stanley's birth at about 1471-2, or about the year (1471) that Sir William Stanley married Elizabeth Hopton.

This does not prove that Elizabeth Hopton was Joan Stanley's mother. But it certainly leaves open the possibility that Elizabeth was Joan's mother. However, equally possible is that Joan Stanley and her brother, William Stanley the younger, might be the issue of an unknown wife of Sir William Stanley, which marriage could have taken place in the period, 1466-1471.

lma...@att.net

Jul 19, 2013, 11:31:31 PM7/19/13
On Friday, July 19, 2013 10:01:25 AM UTC-7, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Christopher ~
>

> This past week I reviewed William Good's discussion of the English origins of the immigrant, Thomas Hatton, of Maryland, which you cited in your post below. I agree with you that Mr. Good has presented excellent evidence that the immigrant, Thomas Hatton, is the son of Rev. Robert Hatton, of Lymme, Cheshire.
>

> Mr. Good's material may be found at the following weblink:
>

> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wrag44/Opinion_Pieces/The_Origins_of_Thomas_Hatton.pdf
>

> Regarding the alleged Domville ancestral line you mentioned, I must admit that your post confused me as to who exactly has that descent. After going through various sources on the Hatton family, I finally realized that the Domville line in question is in the ancestry of Thomas Hatton's sister-in-law, Margaret (Domville) (Hatton) Bankes, who also immigrated to Maryland. Margaret Domville was the widow of Thomas Hatton's brother, Richard Hatton. She has numerous modern descendants.
>

> I haven't had time to confirm that Margaret Domville's father, Edward Domville, of Lymme, Cheshire, died 1639, descends from Sir William Stanley, K.G., 3rd husband of Elizabeth Hopton.
>

> However, I have located a copy of the funeral certificate of Edward Domville at the following weblink. This certificate sets out the names of Edward Domville's wife and children.
>

> http://books.google.com/books?id=9QQVAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR29
>

> With regard to the question of whether or not Elizabeth Hopton was the mother of Sir William Stanley's daughter, Joan (or Jane) Stanley, I find that Ormerod places the date of the marriage contract of Joan Stanley and her husband, Sir John Warburton, as 2 Henry VII [1486-7].
>

> Specifically, Ormerod states that in that year Peter Warburton (father of John) contracted for the marriage of his son and heir apparent, John Warburton, with Johanna [Joan], daughter of Sir William Stanley of Holt; and in the same year [he] settled Sutton Hall, etc. on William, son of sir William Stanley, for the use of Johanna [Joan] for life, [with] remainder to his son and heir apparent John, remainder to his younger son, Peter Warburton.
>

> Ormerod's comments can be found at the following weblink:
>

> http://books.google.com/books?id=DYY1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA572
>

> Since daughters of families of this rank were usually married at about aged 15 years, this would place Joan Stanley's birth at about 1471-2, or about the year (1471) that Sir William Stanley married Elizabeth Hopton.
>

> This does not prove that Elizabeth Hopton was Joan Stanley's mother. But it certainly leaves open the possibility that Elizabeth was Joan's mother. However, equally possible is that Joan Stanley and her brother, William Stanley the younger, might be the issue of an unknown wife of Sir William Stanley, which marriage could have taken place in the period, 1466-1471.
>

> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

The following presentation of Edward Domville's family shows that
his daughter Margaret married Banks of Maryland:

http://www.dumville.org/people/gd1563.html

Leslie