Licence to Alienate v Licence to Enfeoff

Colin Blanshard Withers

May 27, 2021, 6:14:07 AM5/27/21
Just trying to make sense of some 14th century land transfers on the Patent Rolls and these two terms crop up frequently.

Am I right in thinking that licences to alienate were most commonly used to avoid the statutes of mortmain; whereas licences to enfeoff were more designed to alienate the land to feoffees (trustees) while retaining or redirecting the rights over the use of that land, to a third party, usually to enable the support of widows and younger sons

Am I also right in thinking that if the land was enfeoffed to several feoffees, who held the land as joint-tenants, then on the death of one of the feoffees he could be replaced by a younger feoffee and so keep the 'trust' going indefinitely?

Any advice on this, or a link to a good explanatory source, would be most welcome.

Wibs