Sir James Shaw of Sauchie (1430?-1500?)

Shawn Potter

Aug 11, 2001, 8:23:18 PM8/11/01
Can someone point me toward good sources of information about Sir
James Shaw of Sauchie, father of Janet Shaw who married Sir Archibald
Edmonstone of Duntreath in about 1479?

He appears to have been Governor of Stirling Castle, royal guardian,
and Ambassador to England during the 1470s. I'm guessing he was born
say about 1430. And, he may have married Christian Bruce of
Clackmannan.

A web site about the Stirlings of Keir says Sir James Shaw of Sauchie
was involved in the assassination of James III, King of Scotland. Is
this true? Surely genealogical information must exist somewhere about
someone so prominent (infamous?).

Thanks for any information or ideas,

Shawn

Shawn Potter

Aug 14, 2001, 6:07:25 PM8/14/01
shp...@home.com (Shawn Potter) wrote in message news:<1bb11216.01081...@posting.google.com>...

> Can someone point me toward good sources of information about Sir
> James Shaw of Sauchie, father of Janet Shaw who married Sir Archibald
> Edmonstone of Duntreath in about 1479?

Here is what I'm finding--based mostly on unconfirmed information from
the internet at this point. I would appreciate any ideas--especially
about the ancestry of Sir James Shaw of Greenock (4), and the certain
identity of the wife of Sir James Shaw of Sauchie (3).

Shawn

1. Janet Shaw, born about 1460, married Sir Alexander Edmonstone of
Duntreath about 1480.

2. Sir James Shaw of Sauchie, born about 1430, married Christian?
Bruce of Clackmannan about 1455.

3. Christian? Bruce of Clackmannan, born about 1435, married Sir James
Shaw of Sauchie about 1455.

4. Sir James Shaw of Greenock, born about 1405, married Mary de Annand
of Sauchie about 1428.

5. Mary de Annand of Sauchie, born about 1410, married Sir James Shaw
of Greenock about 1428.

6. David Bruce of Clackmannan, born about 1392, married Jean Stewart
of Lorne about 1416.

7. Jean Stewart of Lorne, born about 1396, married David Bruce of
Clackmannan about 1416.

14. John Stewart, Lord of Lorne, born about 1351, married Isabel de
Ergadia about 1382.

15. Isabel de Ergadia, born about 1362, married John Stewart, Lord of
Lorne, about 1382.

30. Sir John de Ergadia, born about 1330, married Joanna Isaac about
1357.

31. Joanna Isaac, born about 1337, married Sir John de Ergadia about
1357.

62. Thomas Isaac, born about 1306, married Matilda Bruce of Scotland
about
1330.

63. Matilda of Scotland, born about 1310, married Thomas Isaac about
1330.

126. Robert Bruce, King of Scotland, born July 11, 1274, married
Elizabeth de Burgh about 1306.

127. Elizabeth de Burgh, born about 1286, married Robert Bruce, King
of Scotland.

William Addams Reitwiesner

Aug 15, 2001, 5:47:59 AM8/15/01
shp...@home.com (Shawn Potter) wrote:

>shp...@home.com (Shawn Potter) wrote in message news:<1bb11216.01081...@posting.google.com>...
>> Can someone point me toward good sources of information about Sir
>> James Shaw of Sauchie, father of Janet Shaw who married Sir Archibald
>> Edmonstone of Duntreath in about 1479?
>
>Here is what I'm finding--based mostly on unconfirmed information from
>the internet at this point. I would appreciate any ideas--especially
>about the ancestry of Sir James Shaw of Greenock (4), and the certain
>identity of the wife of Sir James Shaw of Sauchie (3).
>
>Shawn

I'm trimming this down to show just one connection:

>1. Janet Shaw, born about 1460, married Sir Alexander Edmonstone of
>Duntreath about 1480.
>
>2. Sir James Shaw of Sauchie, born about 1430, married Christian?
>Bruce of Clackmannan about 1455.
>
>3. Christian? Bruce of Clackmannan, born about 1435, married Sir James
>Shaw of Sauchie about 1455.
>

>6. David Bruce of Clackmannan, born about 1392, married Jean Stewart
>of Lorne about 1416.
>
>7. Jean Stewart of Lorne, born about 1396, married David Bruce of
>Clackmannan about 1416.

See *Scots Peerage*, vol. III [1906], pp. 468-470. Sir James Shaw of
Sauchie married Christian, daughter of Sir David Bruce of Clackmannan, but
that Sir David was a *grandson* of the Sir David Bruce of Clackmannan who
married Jean Stewart of Lorn. Christian's mother was Mariota, daughter of
John Herries of Terreglas, and she (Christian) appears to have been born in
the 1470s, meaning that she married a later Sir James Shaw than the one who
was the father of Janet, wife of Sir Alexander Edmonstone of Duntreath.

--
Ceterum censeo DSH delendam esse.

William Addams Reitwiesner
wr...@erols.com

Shawn Potter

Aug 15, 2001, 6:42:16 PM8/15/01
See reply at end of message.

reitw...@stop.mail-abuse.org (William Addams Reitwiesner) wrote in message news:<3b7f33b5...@news.erols.com>...

> I'm trimming this down to show just one connection:
>
> >1. Janet Shaw, born about 1460, married Sir Alexander Edmonstone of
> >Duntreath about 1480.
> >
> >2. Sir James Shaw of Sauchie, born about 1430, married Christian?
> >Bruce of Clackmannan about 1455.
> >
> >3. Christian? Bruce of Clackmannan, born about 1435, married Sir James
> >Shaw of Sauchie about 1455.
> >
> >6. David Bruce of Clackmannan, born about 1392, married Jean Stewart
> >of Lorne about 1416.
> >
> >7. Jean Stewart of Lorne, born about 1396, married David Bruce of
> >Clackmannan about 1416.
>
> See *Scots Peerage*, vol. III [1906], pp. 468-470. Sir James Shaw of
> Sauchie married Christian, daughter of Sir David Bruce of Clackmannan, but
> that Sir David was a *grandson* of the Sir David Bruce of Clackmannan who
> married Jean Stewart of Lorn. Christian's mother was Mariota, daughter of
> John Herries of Terreglas, and she (Christian) appears to have been born in
> the 1470s, meaning that she married a later Sir James Shaw than the one who
> was the father of Janet, wife of Sir Alexander Edmonstone of Duntreath.

William, thank you for your reply. I've seen the SP entry you
mention; but, I wonder if SP is in error about which Sir David Bruce
of Clackmannan was the father-in-law of which Sir James Shaw of
Sauchie. A Genealogical Tree of the Family of Buchanan of that Ilk
(written in Latin, dated 1602, but based upon earlier documents) was
published by John Guthrie Smith, F. S. A. Scot, in "Strathendrick and
Its Inhabitants from Early Times: An Account of the Parishes of
Kintry, Balfron, Killearn, Drymen, Buchanan, and Kilmaronock,"
(Glasgow: James MacLehose and Sons, Publishers to the University,
1896). That tree shows Sir Alexander Edmonstone of Duntreath [born
about 1455] married Janet Shaw, daughter of Sir James Shaw of Sauchie
and his wife, daughter of Bruce of Clackmannan. The tree contains
errors regarding parents of spouses farther from the central trunk of
the tree, so it may be in error here as well. But, the tree raises
enough doubt about the SP entry to warrant further research. I hope
someone knows of other Shaw of Sauchie and Bruce of Clackmannan
sources, even early charters, which will clarify these generations.
Thanks again,

Shawn