Kendal/Lancaster/Samlesbury

paul bulkley

Sep 9, 2006, 12:18:10 PM9/9/06
I have reviewed some rather conflicting information
regarding Gospatrick (son) Orm Kendal. The following
appears correct:

Gospatrick (son) Orm (son) Ketel born 1110 died 1179.
married Egeline de Engaine
children: Thomas of Workington - married Grace
(ancestors of the Curwin family)

Gospatrick inherited Manor of Seaton. Subsequently
obtained estates of Workington and High Ireby through
an exchange of property with cousin William of
Lancaster subject to rent.

1174: Gospatrick surrendered Appleby Castle to William
King of Scotland.
1175/76: King Henry 11, no doubt irritated, fined
Gospatrick 500 M.

Has anyone information or sources of information
addressing the following:

1. Gospatrick die in Workington or Samlesbury?
2. Gospatrick have other children in addition to
Thomas?
3. The 500 M fine was quite substantial. Did King
Henry 11 receive cash or did he seize property?

Anyone interested in the north of England should refer
to the following texts:

Lancashire Pipe Rolls and Early Charters (Farrer)
Land of the Cumbria (Adams)
Whalley Coucher

Paul Bulkley

http://mail.yahoo.com

Patricia Junkin

Sep 9, 2006, 1:08:01 PM9/9/06
Paul,

I have a Cospatric and a Gospatrick.
Under Cospatrick:
Appleby and Burgh taken and Cospatric son of Horm was Constable . 164;
Cospatric was earl of Lothian p. 108: The Annals of the Reign of Malcolm and
William, Kings of Scotland A. D. 1153-1214. Sir Archibald Lawrie. James
MacLehose & Sons. 1910. p. 369.
1119 Thomas son of Cospatric by his charter without date (which was about
the year 1119, in the 20 Hen I.,) gave to God and St. Mary Magdalene and the
canons of Preston of the order of the Praemonstratenses, a portion of his
lands at Preston in Kendal, to build a mansion for the said canons. The
abbey of Shap was transferred hither from Preston in Kendale. Thomas died
Dec. 7, 1152 and was buried in the abbey. Thomas son of the said Thomas
confirmed his fatherąs grants. Which Thomas, son of Thomas married a sister,
as it seemeth of the łfirst˛ Robert de Veteriponte. For after the death of
this Thomas son of Thomas, his widow Johanna de Veteripont gave nine acres
of land in the vill of Heppe to the abbot and canons of the vale of
Magdalene in Heppe.
The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmoreland and Cumberland.
I do not think these men are the same.

Pat

----------
>From: paul bulkley <designe...@yahoo.com>
>To: GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com
>Subject: Kendal/Lancaster/Samlesbury
>Date: Sat, 9, 2006, 12:18 PM

butl...@aol.com

Sep 9, 2006, 8:05:31 PM9/9/06
Good Evening Paul,
I was wondering if you had seen the flurry of earlier postings on the
Lancasters and Gospatricks and Ketel connections etc., from last
winter? Hoo boy... a can or worms!!!
A lot of conflicting data. Best o' luck
Best Regards,
Emmett L. Butler