Toulouse according to Settipani

jean bunot

Jan 26, 2005, 2:07:50 PM1/26/05
In La Noblesse du Midi Carolingien, Christian Settipani discusses at
lenght, among many other topics, the Raymondine comital house and
allied families. There was not much scolarly written on Aquitaine,
Auvergne and Languedoc dynasties, especially recent, and I think
Settipani's contribution is important. Therefore, for the benefit of
those not reading French, I have summarized the conclusions, either
findings or proposals, concerning the agnatic ancestry of Raymond de
Saint-Gilles and the identification of the successive comtesses de
Toulouse. I only provide main VERY simplified arguments. For the
detailed discussions, I refer you to the book (more than 300 pages).
By the way, most of you will be surprised, as I was, to find multiple
normaly prohibited unions between first, second, third degree cousins.
It as been demonstrated that they were more frequent in Southern
France and Northern Spain (valid for IX-XI centuries), an almost
unthinkable situation in that period for Northern France and Germany
where rules were more strict. Please excuse my somewhat clumsy command
of the English language sometimes preventing me from being as precise
as I actually am in French. Jean Bunot

Foucaud/Fulcoald, comte de Rouergue et missus (804/37)
m. c. 815, Senegonde (poss. d/o comte Herbert/Heribert (+ after 843),
himself s/o saint Guillaume, comte et duc de Toulouse, thus explaining
the name of Herbert, abbe de Vabres (+ after 883), a younger son of
Raymond I de Toulouse, and providing an early genealogical link
between the two Toulouse houses

II
Raymond I, comte de Toulouse et de Rouergue (852/63)
m. c. 840, Bertheis (d/o Remi and Arsinde)

III
Eudes/Odon, comte de Toulouse (+ 918)
m. c. 860, Garsinde (d/o comte Ermengaud, probably of Albi)

IV
Raymond II, comte de Nīmes et d'Albi, puis de Toulouse (+ 924)
m. (1) c. 895, Ne..., an heiress from Auvergne introducing the Pons
name in Toulouse onomastics (+ before 924); m. (2) ? Gunidilde, poss.
from the house of Barcelone and poss. d/o Guifred II (+ after 926 no
post.)

Raymond-Pons or Pons I, comte de Toulouse et d'Auvergne, marquis de
Gothie (+ 940/44)
m. (1) c. 920, Ne... de Gascogne (d/o comte Garsia Sanche and Amuna
d'Agen); m (2) Garsinde de Rouergue (d/o Ermengaud, comte de Rouergue
et de Quercy, marquis de Gothie and Adelaide (poss. de Bourgogne),
therefore first cousins, no post.)

VI
Raymond III, comte de Toulouse (+ 944/72)
m. c. 945, Emilde/Emnilde de Quercy, the famous "comtesse Emnilde"
which Settipani identifies first as the wife of Raymond III and
secondly as the d/o Hugues de Quercy. She introduced the name Hugues
in the onomastics patrimony of the Toulouse branch of the Raymondins
with her son Hugues, bishop of Toulouse (d/o Hugues de Rouergue, comte
de Quercy, and Gunidilde de Barcelone, therefore second degree
cousins). Settipani notes that others researchers have reach
independently very similar conclusions : S. de Vajay (1980) and M.-M.
Costa (1991).

VII
Raymond IV, comte de Toulouse (+ 978/79)
m. c. 975, Adelaide dite Blanche d'Anjou (d/o Foulques II le Bon and
Gerberge), successively comtesse de Gevaudan, de Toulouse et de
Provence in the course of her extraodinary marital career

VIII
Guillaume III, comte de Toulouse (+ after 1037)
m. (1) Arsinde d'Arles (d/o Guillaume and Arsinde de Comminges), two
sons Henri and Raymond (both + young); m. (2) 1008/21, Emma de
Provence (+ 1029/30), an heiress, she also introduced the name
Bertrand inherited from the Gevaudan family (d/o Roubaud II and
Ermengarde, himself s/o Roubaud I and Emnilde de Gevaudan), two sons
Pons-Guillaume/Pons II and Bertrand apanaged in Provence

IX
Pons-Guillaume or Pons II, comte de Toulouse (+ 1060)
m. 1040, Almodis de La Marche (d/o comte Bernard and Amelie poss.
d'Angouleme)

Raymond V de Saint-Gilles (formaly Raymond IV), comte de Rouergue et
de Gevaudan, puis de Toulouse, marquis de Provence, duc de Narbonne,
comte de Tripoli et seigneur de Tortose en Terre-Sainte (+ 1105)

roger_...@ksg04.harvard.edu

Jan 26, 2005, 9:02:35 PM1/26/05
Your English is excellent and I thank you for your interesting post.
Best, Roger

Diane Sheppard

Jan 27, 2005, 7:44:28 AM1/27/05
Jean,