Hugh Despenser's kinsfolk: Basset,Grey,Haudlo,Keynes,Lacy,Segrave,Warenne

Douglas Richardson

Mar 14, 2002, 2:40:58 PM3/14/02
Dear Newsgroup:

Pierre Chaplais published an interesting collection of original
letters in 1954 in a book titled, War of Saint-Sardos, 1323-1325
(Camden Soc., 3rd series). Reviewing the book recently, I found
numerous references to Hugh le Despenser the younger's relatives,
among them the following people:

1. Ralph Basset, of Drayton Basset - called "trescher cousin" by Hugh
le Despenser, pp. 75,80.

2. Richard de Grey, of Codnor - called "trescher cousin" by Hugh le
Despenser, pg. 78.

3. John de Segrave - calls Hugh le Despenser "trescher seignur et
cosin," pg. 88.

4. John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey - calls Hugh le Despenser "notre
trescher cousin," pg. 217.

Likewise, I find that Hugh le Despenser the younger was similarly
called "kinsman" by Alice de Lacy, wife of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster
[Reference: Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, 1 (1890): 21].

Checking the ancestry of the various people, I'm able to connect Hugh
le Despenser to John de Segrave. My files show that Hugh le
Despenser's great-aunt, Rohese le Despenser, married Stephen de
Segrave, ancestor of John de Segrave. I believe the connection to
John de Warenne can also be explained.

Beyond that, I've also found references which indicate that Hugh le
Despenser the younger was related to the Keynes family of Wiltshire
and William de Haudlo, clerk, presumed brother of John de Haudlo, of
Boarstall, co. Buckingham. As with the most of the other people, I'm
unable to explain the tie between Hugh Despenser and these families.

As for the possible tie between Hugh le Despenser the younger and
Alice de Lacy, I find that Hugh's grandfather, Hugh le Despenser, was
called "friend" [kinsman] in 1258 by Alice's grandfather, Edmund de
Lacy, in a document involving the marriage of Alice de Lacy's parents
[see Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, 1 (1890): 234]. If so, then it would
appear that the connection between the Despenser and Lacy families
would pre-date 1258. Another person called "friend" [kinsman] in the
same document by Edmund de Lacy was Simon de Montfort, Earl of
Leicester. Edmund de Lacy and Simon de Montfort were related by
common descent from the earlier Earls of Leicester. A third party
named in the same document as "friend" was Walter de Loudham, a member
of a distinguished knightly family seated in Nottinghamshire.

The Lacy connection in particular seems intriguing as Edmund de Lacy's
ancestry is high born. If Hugh le Despenser the younger has a tie to
him, it suggests that Hugh has something important in his earlier
ancestry which has previously gone unnoticed. If this part of Hugh le
Despenser's can be found, then it surely provide an explanation to
this family's rise from obscurity to earldom rank.

I'd appreciate comments regarding the kinships mentioned above. As
with other medieval problems, I believe collegiality is the key to
solving these unexplained mysteries.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

Brad Verity

Mar 14, 2002, 6:21:48 PM3/14/02
royala...@msn.com (Douglas Richardson) wrote in message

> 4. John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey - calls Hugh le Despenser "notre
> trescher cousin," pg. 217.
>
> Likewise, I find that Hugh le Despenser the younger was similarly
> called "kinsman" by Alice de Lacy, wife of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster
> [Reference: Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, 1 (1890): 21].

Douglas,

Interesting post. I think in the above two cases, it was Hugh's wife
who was the relative link. Eleanor Despenser and Jeanne of Bar,
Warenne's wife, were first cousins, and Eleanor was first cousin once
removed to Thomas of Lancaster, Alice's husband.

In which years did Warenne and Alice de Lacy make the above
references? Was it after Thomas of Lancaster's beheading in 1322?
Also, Warenne 'abducted' (the willing) Alice de Lacy, which led to a
huge feud between him and Lancaster before the latter was killed. I
don't recall the details - perhaps Hugh the Younger was supportive of
Warenne and Alice. I know he had growing issues with Lancaster once
his wife Eleanor received her share of the Clare inheritance.

Hugh was also clearly becoming the King's new favorite in this period,
and Warenne and Alice de Lacy could have been kissing up to this
previously non-important "kinsman" as a result.

Thanks for the Chaplais book reference - I'll have to check it out.

Best regards, ------Brad Verity

R. Battle

Mar 14, 2002, 8:49:47 PM3/14/02
to Douglas Richardson
On 14 Mar 2002, Douglas Richardson wrote:
<snip>

> 1. Ralph Basset, of Drayton Basset - called "trescher cousin" by Hugh
> le Despenser, pp. 75,80.

Apparently related via Basset's wife, Joan de Grey:

1. Joan de Grey (m. Ralph Basset, 2nd Lord Basset of Drayton [d. 1342/3])
2. John de Grey, Lord Grey of Wilton and Ruthin
3. Anne de Ferrers
6. Sir William de Ferrers of Groby
7. Anne le Despenser
14. Sir Hugh le Despenser
15. Aline Basset

> 2. Richard de Grey, of Codnor - called "trescher cousin" by Hugh le
> Despenser, pg. 78.

<snip>

Apparently related via Richard de Grey's mother:

1. Richard de Grey, 2nd Lord Grey of Codnor (c1281/2-c1334/5)
2. Henry de Grey, Lord Grey of Codnor
3. Eleanor de Courtenay
6. Sir Hugh de Courtenay of Okehampton
7. Eleanor le Despenser
14, Sir Hugh le Despenser
15. Aline Basset

Whether or not the Lacys and Despensers were related before 1258,
probably the relationship between Alice de Lacy and Hugh le Despenser can
be adequately explained by the Lacy descent of Hugh's wife.

The possible Despenser descents cited above raise some questions. In CP
(the source of all the information above), there is some uncertainty as to
the marriage of Henry de Grey and Eleanor de Courtenay; perhaps the fact
that their descendant was related to Hugh le Despenser supports the
marriage. However, the issue of chronology needs to be addressed.
According to CP (sub Despenser), Sir Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset
were married "on or before 1260." Their son, Hugh, was born 1 Mar 1260/1,
so there is no reason to move the date back on his account. However,
if the putative daughters of this couple (cited above) were in fact
daughters of this couple, the Despenser-Basset marriage must have occurred
before 1260. Richard de Grey, 2nd Lord Grey of Codnor, was born about
1281/2 (CP, sub Grey of Codnor). He was apparently a great grandson of
Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset via their daughter, Eleanor le
Despenser. Even if we assume that Eleanor le Despenser was born right at
1260, it is rather unlikely she could have had a grandson at 21 or 22
years of age. Also, William de Ferrers, 1st Lord Ferrers of Groby
(brother of Anne de Ferrers above), was born 30 Jan 1271/2. He was a
grandson of Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset via their daughter, Anne le
Despenser. If we assumed that Anne le Despenser was born right at 1260,
that would make her 11 or 12 when her son was born. It seems clear that
the marriage date for Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset must be moved
back several years (though even then the chronology is tight). Could
someone with access to vol. 14 of CP check to see if any changes have been
made in the relevant entries (Despenser, Ferrers of Groby, Grey of Codnor,
and Devon)?

-Robert Battle

Jay

Mar 14, 2002, 10:17:35 PM3/14/02
royala...@msn.com (Douglas Richardson) wrote in message news:<5cf47a19.02031...@posting.google.com>...

> Dear Newsgroup:
>
> Pierre Chaplais published an interesting collection of original
> letters in 1954 in a book titled, War of Saint-Sardos, 1323-1325
> (Camden Soc., 3rd series). Reviewing the book recently, I found
> numerous references to Hugh le Despenser the younger's relatives,
> among them the following people:
>
> 1. Ralph Basset, of Drayton Basset - called "trescher cousin" by Hugh
> le Despenser, pp. 75,80.

I would imagine the connection is through Hugh's grandmother Aline
Basset
who was a cousin to Ralph Basset of Drayton-not a particularly near
cousin, I believe a Third cousin several times removed.

> 2. Richard de Grey, of Codnor - called "trescher cousin" by Hugh le
> Despenser, pg. 78.

No idea here.

Chris Phillips

Mar 15, 2002, 5:02:51 AM3/15/02
Robert Battle wrote:
> However, the issue of chronology needs to be addressed.
> According to CP (sub Despenser), Sir Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset
> were married "on or before 1260." Their son, Hugh, was born 1 Mar 1260/1,
> so there is no reason to move the date back on his account. However,
> if the putative daughters of this couple (cited above) were in fact
> daughters of this couple, the Despenser-Basset marriage must have occurred
> before 1260. Richard de Grey, 2nd Lord Grey of Codnor, was born about
> 1281/2 (CP, sub Grey of Codnor). He was apparently a great grandson of
> Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset via their daughter, Eleanor le
> Despenser. Even if we assume that Eleanor le Despenser was born right at
> 1260, it is rather unlikely she could have had a grandson at 21 or 22
> years of age. Also, William de Ferrers, 1st Lord Ferrers of Groby
> (brother of Anne de Ferrers above), was born 30 Jan 1271/2. He was a
> grandson of Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset via their daughter, Anne le
> Despenser. If we assumed that Anne le Despenser was born right at 1260,
> that would make her 11 or 12 when her son was born. It seems clear that
> the marriage date for Hugh le Despenser and Aline Basset must be moved
> back several years (though even then the chronology is tight).

As no source is stated in the Complete Peerage for the 1260 date, perhaps it
was simply deduced from Hugh's date of birth.

However, as you've probably noticed, the information given about Aline's age
in 1271, after her father's death, indicate that she would have been born
between about 1241 and 1249 (CP vol.4, p.261, note i). To avoid generations
shorter than, say, 14 years in the Grey descent, she would have to have been
born in 1240 or before. Perhaps CP is right to be cautious about the
Grey-Courtenay and Ferrers-Despenser marriages.

Chris Phillips

Douglas Richardson

Mar 15, 2002, 2:42:09 PM3/15/02
Dear Robert, Brad, Chris, John, etc.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I appreciate them very
much.

In regards to Robert's allusion to kinship based on marriage, I've
only encountered two examples in which a person was called kinsman
based on a marital tie. All the other times, when the word "kinsman"
or "cousin" has been used, it has seemingly meant someone related
through a blood tie. Consequently, I believe it is advisable to look
for a blood tie between Hugh Despenser and these various people,
before settling for a marital tie. Certainly Hugh Despenser's kinship
to William de Haudlo was based on blood, as I believe William de
Haudlo was a clerk and thus unmarried.

In this vein, recently I located two instances in which Ela of
Salisbury, widow of William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury, was called
kinswoman by King Henry III. If the king had been referring to his
relationship by marriage to Ela, he should have called her his "amita"
(aunt), as William Longespee was the half-brother of King Henry's
father, King John. However, King Henry did not call her aunt at all.
Instead, I note that the editor of the Charter Rolls indicates in one
instance that the word employed was "affinis," which word I haven't
previously encountered. I assume the word "affinis" means that Ela
had a close spiritual affinity to King Henry III, because she or her
parents served as a godparent for either King Henry III or his father,
King John, or vice versa. I have reviewed Ela's ancestry and compared
it to King Henry III's ancestry. As best I can determine, while
Countess Ela and King Henry share many remote ancestors, they have
nothing in common within the 5th degree.

As for the medieval and early modern use of the word, "friend," for
kinsman, I quote the document below in which the word was used by
Edmund de Lacy. In this document, he states he is putting himself at
the disposition of his "friends," they being his mother, Simon de
Montfort, Earl of Leicester, Hugh Despenser, and Walter de Loudham.
In this case, we can be sure his mother was related to him. As for
the other parties, Edmund de Lacy was clearly related to Simon de
Montfort, by common descent from Robert, Earl of Leicester. I'm
unable to explain how Hugh Despenser and Walter de Loudham were
related. A reference to a medieval Latin dictionary will confirm
that the word "friend" was synonymous with the word "kinsman" in this
period.

Reference: Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, 1 (1890): 234.

"Covenant between Edmund de Lacy, of the one part, and William
Lungespee, of the other, viz. that in the octave of the Purification
at London, the said E. de Lacy will place himself at the disposition
of his friends, i.e. of his mother and of Simon de Montfort, Earl of
Leicester, High Dispenser, and Walter de Ludham; and the said William
Lungespee will place himself at the disposition of Fulk Basset, Bishop
of London, Stephen Lunge[espee], Philip Basset, and J... de Ar..del,
for completing the marriage of Henry, son of E. de Lacy, and Margaret
the daughter of W. Lungespee, and for giving and receiving lands, etc.
A.D. 1258." [Note: Stephen Longespee was uncle of William Longespee;
Philip Basset was married to William Longespee's aunt, Ela Longespee.
I suspect that the name, J. de Ar..del, is a misreading for James de
Audley, whose wife, Ela, was William Longespee's sister. For James
de Audley's involvement in the negotiations for this marriage, see the
abstract of the chyrograph of agreement dated 22 Dec. 1256 for this
marriage published in Genealogist, n.s. 36 (1920): 135-136].

If Hugh Despenser was near blood related to Edmund de Lacy, I presume
the relationship was close enough for Edmund's grand-daughter, Alice,
to acknowledge the kinship at a later period. If so, then presumably
the two men were no more than first or second cousins to one another.
If the nature of the Lacy-Despenser kinship can be solved, it would be
an important genealogical discovery.

When I have time tomorrow, I'll post another example from this period
in which a person called "friend" was actually a kinsman.

I'd appreciate further comments on this matter.

E-mail: royala...@msn.com

Nathaniel Taylor

Mar 16, 2002, 12:16:56 AM3/16/02
In article <5cf47a19.02031...@posting.google.com>,
royala...@msn.com (Douglas Richardson) wrote:

>...Certainly Hugh Despenser's kinship

>to William de Haudlo was based on blood, as I believe William de
>Haudlo was a clerk and thus unmarried.

Well, strictly speaking, it could also be because the clerk had a blood
relationship to Hugh Despenser's wife.

>..., I note that the editor of the Charter Rolls indicates in one

>instance that the word employed was "affinis," which word I haven't
>previously encountered. I assume the word "affinis" means that Ela

>had a close spiritual affinity to King Henry III...

One's 'affine' could be someone related through marriage or by spiritual
kinship. There were tables of affinity which illustrated hypothetical
degrees of affinity, just as tables of consanguinity did, circulated at
the time. The tables are rather confusing to a modern reader--much more
so than the blood kinship ties.

>As for the medieval and early modern use of the word, "friend," for
>kinsman, I quote the document below in which the word was used by
>Edmund de Lacy. In this document, he states he is putting himself at
>the disposition of his "friends," they being his mother, Simon de
>Montfort, Earl of Leicester, Hugh Despenser, and Walter de Loudham.
>In this case, we can be sure his mother was related to him. As for
>the other parties, Edmund de Lacy was clearly related to Simon de
>Montfort, by common descent from Robert, Earl of Leicester. I'm
>unable to explain how Hugh Despenser and Walter de Loudham were
>related. A reference to a medieval Latin dictionary will confirm
>that the word "friend" was synonymous with the word "kinsman" in this
>period.

They can't be considered 'synonomous' in a vacuum. 'Amicus' had many
uses, including, in some contexts, an assumption of blood kinship (as
'Friend' does in many Tudor and Stuart deeds). But is does not
invariably, or even usually, bear this sense through most eras & places in
the Middle Ages.

Nat Taylor

Robert Spencer

Dec 15, 2015, 12:55:41 PM12/15/15
Dear Douglas Richardson, I realize this is an old post that I am replying to, but I believe it will be interest to you and others: In the original post you mention Walter Loudham as a "friend", suggesting a kinship with Hugh Despenser the younger. I believe I can can now explain the kinship.

Sir Walter de Ludham,is found as Seneschal of Pontefract.

Walter's father is Eustace de Loudham, Sheriff of Yorkshire. For the purpose of this point it is important to stress how close Burton Jorce is to Loudham, Notts. Burton Jorce gets it name from Robert de Jorz who I see as the father of Hugh de Berges alias Hugh de Prestwald, for the manor of Prestwald comes directly from Robert de Jorz's ancestor. The Jorz family also produces a sheriff of Notingham and many forestors of Notts.

Eustace, who was Sheriff of Nottingham in the time of King
John.

From a post by Rosie Bevan:
In fact, we know that Sir Walter was the son of Eustace de Loudham, because at least two documents explicitly state this, viz: As "Walter de Loudham, son of Eustace de Loudham", he made a feoffment to Elias de Midhop of the manor of Langeside, c1253 (West Yorks RO, SpSt/4/11/79/1); In a recital of an ancient charter we find as witnesses "Eustachio de Ludham et Waltero filio ejus [Eustace de Ludham and Walter his son] (Cal. Pat. R, 19 Edward II, Part 1, p 189).

Rosie Bevan - soc.genealogy.medieval, at groups - google.com
Repository:
Name: soc.genealogy.medieval, at groups - google.com
Page: 7/6/2007
EUSTACE DE LOUDHAM The father of Eustace de Ludham appears to have been named Herbert. In 1220 Eustace made an agreement in the king's court over a charter of warranty in Hertfordshire (place unnamed) with Philip son of Robert. In the two entries he is referred to as Eustace de Ludham or Eustace son of Herbert [CRR 1220, p.208, 217]. Eustace was under sheriff of Notts., in 1213, sheriff of Yorkshire in 1224/26 [CPR 1216-1225, p.524] (this would indicate that he held lands in Yorkshire to qualify) and sheriff of Notts in 1233. I

I believe this Herbert mentioned by Rosie Bevan, is Herbert de Prestwalt(d)/Prestwold of Notts., If this identification is correct, then Walter de Loudham, may also be known as Walter de Prestwalt(d)of Notts.

[Walter de Prestwald(t) of Notts. held three bovates of land in Bileburg, (Feet of Fines, co. Notts, file 2, no. 14)]

I further propose that Herbert de Prestwald's father is Hugh de Prestwold who has 2 other alias.

Hugh de Prestwold alias Hugh de Lougborough, alias Hugh de Berges he fls. 1176,

He held land at Bawre,(Barrow on Soar)Leisc., more exactly at "Wet-Berges with part of Barrow".

This is the source of the "de Berges" name, He also held part of Halliwell-Hawe alongside Thomas le Despenser, and the Jort's.

That this Hugh is the same person as ['Hugh de Prestwold': his son Ansketil identified himself as 'Anketinus filius Hugonis de Prestwald' in his gift of the church of St. Andrew of Prestwald to Bullington priory - Stenton, Transcripts p. 93[7]

...and this person :Charter:' Hugo de Berges', made a gift of 3 carucates to Garendon abbey in Burton on the Wolds, confirmed by Ansketil, together with his (Ansketil's) uncles Thurstan de Queniborough and Radulf.

Hugh held the manor of Prestwold, and also held the advowson of the church, which Anketin, son of Hugh de Prestwold, in or before the year 1228, gave to the prior and convent of the Gilbertine priory of Bullington in the county of Lincoln.

Hugh Despenser's ancestor Thomas Despenser [Thomas Despenser) I was b. bef. 1136, fls. 1166, and according to Farrer, he was the heir of Ellis Despenser, his brother. In 11 Henry II (1165) he was amerced a fine for trespass with his kin "Hugh de Berc"(Berges, as previosuly stated I see this Hugh de Berges as Hugh father of Anketil de Prestwold.

It stands to reason that if Hugh de Berges is a kin of Thomas despenser and this Hugh de Berges /Prestwold is the great grandfather of Walter de Loudham, then this is the connection between Hugh Despenser the younger and Walter de Loudham.

In a related article soon to be posted, I have new info on Ivo de Alpath, who in a recent discovery was besides being the Constbale of Coventry , was previous to that Constable of the Honour of Skipton and in [charters of Cecily de Rumily] also identifies his brother William son of Aschetil, who witnesses 2 charters of Cecily de Rumilly (EYC, Vii p. 288) see also : charter no. 5 (1131-40) of Cecily de Rumily, of the Honour of Skipton. He is named as the brother of Ivo the Constable. Cecily de Rumilly was mother of Ranulf Meschines,the Earl of Chester.

A new discovery also relating to Ivo de Alspath,son of Aschetil Despenser, also finds his descendant William Brito was Steward of Skipton, he later became a deputy sheriff of Yorkshire. This same (William Brito "William Brittone") was previously identified by John Ravilous, proposed a relationship based on his presence in a charter to the Despenser family.

It is important to note that at about the same time that Eustace de Loudham was Sheriff of Yorkshire (1224-26), this same William Brito was probably his under sheriff. Is this further suggestive evidence of a kinship? If this is true then Walter Loudham, William Brito and Hugh Despenser (the Younger) may all share a common ancestor.

More on William Brito:
The "Meppershall" coat of arms can be seen here: This is interesting!

http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/ArchivesAndRecordOffice/CommunityArchives/Meppershall/TheManorOfMeppershall.aspx

" In 1206 William son of Warin complained that Peter de Aslacton(guardian),
custos of the fee of William de Jorz (' Gorz '), which was held in chief of the king, would not permit him to enjoy 1 virgate in Wimeswould which his uncle Michael the clerk gave him.

William Brittone (Brito) alias known as William Despenser of(Meppershall)form his duties as Steward of Skipton.
William Brito s. of Warin gave land in Meppershall to Chicksand priory (Charters to Chicksand Priory, xvi, p. 118). In 1242 William Brito held one and a half hides of the barony at Halton. (Fees, 887).

1204-5 William fitzWarin has shown the king that, Michael the clerk, uncle of the said William, granted him 1 virgate in Wymeswold by charter. Wymeswold is held of the fee of William de Jorz, who is in the custody of Peter de Allexton (guardian),and Peter will not allow fitzWarin to have seisin of the said land without order from the king or his justices because the said William de Jorz holds of the king in chief. Order to the sheriff of Leicestershire that, notwithstanding this, fitzWarin is to have seisin if Michael granted him the land as is claimed, saving his service.

I will detail the relevant lines:

Line #1: Walter Loudham(Prestwold),
Line #2: Hugh le Despenser(the Younger)
Line #3: William Brito (Brittone)

Line #1
Robert de Jort "Usher Regis", held as a serjeanty lands at Hoton, and Wymeswold and (Halliwell-Hawe,from the King, He held one of the one of the four manors of Prestwald at the time of the great survey (1086). Members of this family held by knights service on the Oliver Eincourt fief .. testa pp. 88,93., curiously so did the "le Despensers" The Prestwolds appear c.1200 as a senior branch, being the lords of the lands near Garendon abbey held by Thomas Despenser. The families both held land at Halliwell Hawe, where Beaumanor is located, in fact both families gift land of Halliwelle Hawe.

Robert de Jorz II
The Leicestershire Survey of 1124-1129, which only mentions a holding of two carucates of land in Hoton held by Robert de Jorz, that which belongs to the "Sergeanty of Usher", the meadow held by force in the great survey of 1086 is not mentioned at this time.

Robert de Jorz,III temp. 8 H 2
(1162) he hed land at Tickhill, a Kt. of the Honour of Blyth.
..Excused Dangeld in 8 H II (1162) at Tickhill. Pipe Roll He is the same as : Robert de Jortz 2 H 2 (1156) of Burton Bulcot (Burton Jorce) which is very close to Loudham.

Hugh de Prestwold aka: Hugh de Berges I, aka: Hugh de Loughborouh , he fls. 1176, He held land at Bawre, more exactly at "Wet-Berges with part of Barrow".
This is the source of the "de Berges" name.
He also held part of Halliwell-Hawe alongside Thomas le Despenser, and the Jort's.' Hugo de Berges', who married a sister of Thurstan Queniburg made a gift of 3 carucates to Garendon abbey in Burton on the Wolds, confirmed by son Ansketil, together with his (Ansketil's) uncles Thurstan de Queniborough and Radulf[5]He held the manor of Prestwold, and also held the advowson of the church, which Anketin, son of Hugh de Prestwold, in or before the year 1228, gave to the prior and convent of the Gilbertine priory of Bullington in the county of Lincoln According to Farnham: They bore for their arms--Sable, a chevron Or, fretty Gules, between three garbs Argent
Hugh de Berges , Liescester = Dionisia
'Hugh de Prestwold': his son Ansketil identified himself as 'Anketinus filius Hugonis de Prestald' in his gift of the church of St. Andrew of Prestwald
to Bullington priory - Stenton, Transcripts p. 93[7]

Herbert de Prestwalt(d) of Notts.

EUSTACE DE LOUDHAM The father of Eustace de Ludham appears to have been named Herbert. In 1220 Eustace made an agreement in the king's court over a charter of warranty in Hertfordshire (place unnamed) with Philip son of Robert. In the two entries he is referred to as Eustace de Ludham or Eustace son of Herbert [CRR 1220, p.208, 217]. Eustace was under sheriff of Notts., in 1213, sheriff of Yorkshire in 1224/26 [CPR 1216-1225, p.524] (this would indicate that he held lands in Yorkshire to qualify) and sheriff of Notts in 1233. I

Sir Walter de Ludham, Seneschal of Pontefract

Line#2:

Aschetill (Dispensator) alias "Aschetill of the Castle" De hiis habet Aschetillis de Castello -ii- bovatas pro" . pg. 218 THE BURTON ABBEY TWELFTH CENTURY SURVEYS. (b. bef. 1072 d. between 1120-1126) who held 2 bovates at Church-Stretton, Staffordshire in 1114, and 2 bovates at Waterfala, Staff., found in the later parts of the 2nd survey of the Burton Abbey's chartulary (1114 -1116 and 1118-1120)

Geoffrey Despenser (b. bef. 1106- ), fls. 1126 , when he confirmed his father's gift of Waterfal, Stafforshire to Burton abbey.
COVENTRY 281
Earl Ranulf II also gave to the abbey and monks of Coventry 2 cart-loads of wood daily, except on feast days, for the repair of their buildings and for
fuel, by view of his foresters ; to which charter were witnesses
Serlo the huntsman, Geoffrey Despenser, Ivo son of Ansketill, Hugh
de Hardredeshull (n. 63), Gilbert son of Picot, Swyft de Coventre,
Adam son of Godric, Hugh de Warrewic, Nicholas de Foro, WiUiam
Barbe D'Averil, Ralph the chaplain and others. The date would
be c. 1142-1153.
ca. 1135-1153. Barraclough, The Charters of the Anglo-Norman Earls of Chester, charters #25, 35-37, 50, 55-59, 64, 73, 85, 99[13] [also, 'Gaufrido dispensario..' and 'Galfrido dispensatore.']

Thomas Despenser I fls. b. bef. 1136, fls. 1166, according to Farrer, he was the heir of Ellis Despenser, his brother.
In 11 Henry II (1165) he was amerced a fine for trespass with his kin "Hugh de Berc" (Berges)' The successor of Ellis was Thomas Despenser, who was amerced 1 mark in 1165 for a default in Leicestershire. This Thomas Despenser, gave 4 hides in the town of Bolynton "Bollington" in Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, to Hugh Dutton for Hugh's marriage to Muriel Despenser- (Omerod i. 897)
The Despenser's also held very early connections to Stockport and Bollinton, Chester. They were possibly the "Lords of Bollinton / Boylton" that Betts (1935) mentions.

Thomas Despenser II - d. abt. 1207
He was 'Dispensator' of Earl of Chester, Gave ten bovates in Burton to Garendon Abbey [8]. of Burton on the Wolds, co. Leics.
"Let it be known that I have given with the agreement and good will of my wife Recuare.....etc" (Sciatis me dedisse, consessione et bona voluntate uxoris mee Recuare
This same Thomas Despenser was presumably the donor to [Garendon] abbey of 10 bovates in Burton on the Wolds, Leics., of the fee of
Asketil de Berges,...' [ Farrer, HKF II:58, citing Pipe Roll 12 Hen II (1166), p. 70; 22 Hen II, p. 185; and Cal. Chart. Rolls iv. 475].

Hugh Despenser I d. 1238 fls. on 12 Feb 1227 as per grant of a fair at Lougborough to him and his heirs. d. 1238 High Sherriff of Stafforshire and Berkshire.
The Despensers had a considerable fee in Burton, as a member of their manor of Loughborough (n. 19), and had grants of liberties for themselves and men here in 1227, 1229 and 1233.

Hugh le Despenser II , of Loughborough, Arnesby, Barrow. Beaumanor and Ibstock.
Justiciar of England d. Battle of Evesham 1265
In a charter he is seen with his brother: "Hugh,son of Hugh Despenser and his brother William".
Sir Hugh le Despencer, of Loughborough, co. Leicester, etc.: respite of knighthood 1244; Constable of Horston Castle 1255-60; accompanied Richard, Earl of Cornwall, to Aachen for his coronation as King of the Romans 1257; at the Parliament of Oxford 1258 one of the 12 elected by the Barons to redress grievances and one of the 12 to treat with the King's Council in Parliament; appointed Justiciar of England 1260 as the nominee of the Barons but dismissed by King Henry III the next year; attended Simon de Montfort's Parliament at Oxford 1263; Justiciar of England and Constable of the Tower of London 1263; was at the Battle of Lewes 1264; Constable of Devizes Castle, Oxford Castle, Orford Castle and Nottingham Castle 1264; appointed one of the arbiters to broker a peace between King Henry III and the Barons 1264; sum. by writ to Parliament 24 Dec 1264; one of the arbiters between the Earls of Leicester and Gloucester 1265; joined Simon [de Montfort], 1st Earl of Leicester, in his last campaign against King Henry III and was slain with him at the Battle of Evesham 1265; after his death all his lands were forfeited (b. in or before 1223; d. 4 Aug 1265; bur. in Evesham Abbey), mar. in or bef. 1260 Aline Bassett.

Hugh "the Elder" [le Despencer], 1st Baron le Despencer later 1st Earl of Winchester and Lord of Parlington.
b. 1 Mar 1260/1, d. 27 Oct 1326, Bristol, (hanged), m. in or bef. 1286 Lady Isabel de Chaworth (widow of Sir Patrick de Chaworth, of Kidwelly, co. Carmarthen, and Kempsford, co. Gloucester; d. bef. 30 May 1306), 1st dau. of William [de Beauchamp], 9th Earl of Warwick, by his wife Maud de Furnivall, widow of Sir Gerard de Furnivall, of Sheffield, co. York, and Worksop, co. Nottingham, and sister and cohrss. of Richard [FitzJohn], 1st Baron FitzJohn, and 1st dau. of Sir John FitzGeoffrey, of Shere, co. Surrey, and Fambridge, co. Essex, Justiciar of Ireland. He received part of Brimpsfield via marriage.
In Jan of 1285 , his manor of Bolington, Chester (an ancient holding) was taken by the king from Hugh because he took emands of ale without warrant. See "Lords of Bolynton", (Betts) In 1272 Hugh held Stockport, Chester. Robert de Stockport held it of him. Bollington, Chester was restored to the Despenser's sometime between 1307 -1326. Temp. Edward I.
(Close Rolls, 6 Edw. II, m. 21, ; 20 Edw. III, p. 1, m. 25d; 21 Edw. III, p. 1, m.6)

Sir Hugh le Despencer the Younger,(born. c. 1286- d. 24 Nov. 1326) later 1st and de jure 2nd Baron le Despencer , Herford (hanged and quartered), m. after 14 Jun 1306 Lady Eleanor de Clare (b. Oct 1292; mar. (2) c. Jan 1328/9 as his second wife William [de Mortimer later la Zouche], 1st Baron Zouche; d. 30 Jun 1337), sister of the whole blood and cohrss. of Gilbert [de Clare], 7th Earl of Gloucester, and 1st dau. of Gilbert [de Clare], 6th Earl of Gloucester, by his second wife the Princess Joan "of Acre", 2nd surv. dau. of King Edward I by his first wife Eleanor of Castile, dau. of Ferdinand III, King of Castile
Hugh was knighted 1306; was with King Edward II in Pontoise 1313; Chamberlain 1313; Constable of Odiham Castle 1317-18; Keeper of the Castles and Towns of Dryslwyn and Cantref Mawr, co. Carmarthen 1317; reappointed Chamberlain at the Parliament of York 1318; a Commissioner to treat with the Scots 1319; Constable of Odiham Castle 1319/20-21; with the King in France 1320; Keeper of the Castle and Town of Porchester 1320-24; Keeper of the Castle, Town and Barton of Bristol 1320-21; the lands of both himself and his father were ravaged by his rivals 1321; both father and son were accused in Parliament of taking upon themselves some of the Royal power, giving bad advice to the King, replacing good ministers with bad ones, etc., and in 1321 had their lands taken away from them and were both exiled; this was annulled in the Parliament of York 1322; accompanied the King against the discontented Barons 1322; after the Battle of Boroughbridge he had large grants of land forfeited by the rebels; Keeper of the Castle, Town and Barton of Bristol during the King's pleasure 1322 and for life 1325; Keeper of the Castles. Manors and Lands of Brecknock, Hay, Cantref Selyf, Talgarth, Blaen Llyfni and Pencelly, co. Brecon, and Huntington, co. Hereford 1322; accompanied the King against the Scots1322, and with him fled from Rievaulx to Bridlington following the Battle of Byland Abbey; Keeper of the Castle, Town and Barton of Gloucester, the Castle of St Briavels and the Forest of Dean 1322; appointed a Commissioner to make peace with the Scots 1324; accompanied King Edward on his flight to Wales in 1326; both he and the King were captured by Queen Isabella's forces near Llantrisant, co. Glamorgan; he was taken to Hereford, tried and condemned to death as a traitor; on his death all his honours were forfeited and the sentence of exile passed on him in 1321 was re-affirmed by Parliament; his wife had been committed to the Tower of London shortly before his death; she was released in 1328 and some of her lands restored to her; she and her second husband besieged her Castle of Caerphilly in 1329 ; she was arrested and imprisoned first in the Tower of London and then in Devizes Castle, finally being released in 1330.

Line#3: William Brito, in addition to his mother being "Osmata de Alspath", her name being recently discovered, his male line is also detailed at the end as it has important info to be disclosed.

Aschetill (Dispensator) alias "Aschetill of the Castle" De hiis habet Aschetillis de Castello -ii- bovatas pro" . pg. 218 THE BURTON ABBEY TWELFTH CENTURY SURVEYS. (b. bef. 1072 d. between 1120-1126) who held 2 bovates at Church-Stretton, Staffordshire in 1114, and 2 bovates at Waterfala, Staff., found in the later parts of the 2nd survey of the Burton Abbey's chartulary (1114 -1116 and 1118-1120)

Ivo de Alspath, b. abt. 1109 d. between 1160 -1178, alias Ivo Dispensario = Alice de Smithford of Arnesby.
He was Constable of Coventry as early as 1144.. The second Manor of Alspath, part of the original manor, was held by Ivo de Ellespathe, Lord of the Manor of Alspath in 1155.

'Ivone filio Aschetilli', witness to confirmation of a gift at coventry between 1135-1154 during the reign of King Stephen. alive in 1160, when two nephews witnessed a charter by him.

Ivo son of Aschetil appears twice in the witness lists of charters of Cecily de Rumilly,wife of William Meschines , and mother of Ranulf Meschin, Earl of Chester(CB, nos. 411,446)

Gift from Ivo de Aellespat to the monks of St. Nicholas of Kirkebi [Monks Kirby] of a virgate of land in Aellespet which belonged to Godwin and his heirs, to hold in free alms for the soul of the said Ivo, his ancestors and successors, and for the deeds committed by the said Ivo on the lands of St. Nicholas during the civil war.Witnesses: Thomas steward (dispensatore), Elias, his brother, Richard cornmonger (frumentino), Robert, his son, Gilbert, son of Pichot, Roger, his son, Nigel de Amundavilla, Thomas de Bikenhulla, William Brittone, Roger reeve (preposito), William reeve (preposito), Adam, son of Godwin.
Endorsed: Yvo de Alespad' apud eundem locum. Date: See V.C.H. Warws. iv, pp. 151, 155.

****Important new info:****
Notification to the archbishop of York, Thurstan, by Cecily de Rumilly of her gift in free, pure and perpetual alms to the canons of Saint Mary and Saint Cuthbert,Embsay, of the mill of Silsden, with multure of the said vill and the workings of the same mill, with all liberties and free customs, setting down rules for the use of the mill, including forfeiture of corn, sack and horses.
[Michaelmas 1130x25 Jan. 40.] Witness: Ivone constabulario (k.) (k.-Constabul of Coventry)

In Early Yorkshire Charters: Being a Collection of Documents byWilliam Farrer, Sir Charles Travis Clay
editor, 1947 - Yorkshire (England) states that Iivo the Constable who witnessed notifications to Thurstan, archbishop of York ( 1131-1140) (no's 4 and 6) was probably the brother of William Aschetil. Note: A William Aschetil, witnesses 2 charters of Cecily de Rumilly (EYC, Vii p. 288) see also : charter no. 5 (1131-40) of Cecily de Rumily. of the Honour of Skipton. He is named as the brother of Ivo the Constable.

Gift in free, [pure] and perpetual alms by Cecily de Rumilly to the canons of Embsay of her mills at Harewood with all its multure, with provision that no other mill will be had in the land which pertains to the church of Harewood, excepting Brandon and Wigton, without the assent of the canons, with all suit and free customs, with toft and croft in Harewood, one assart outside called Parvum Angrum, with meadow, another assart called Benecroft and free common of the Harewood, with forfeiture for those who go to another mill.
[Michaelmas 1130AI481 Witness: "Ivone filio Aschetilli" , is likely to be the same person as Ivo the constable who witnessed the charters of Cecily and her daughter Alice (CB, nos. 8,106,107,28 1).

Ivo de Alspath is identified as 'Ivo son of Aschetil [or
Anketinus]' : 'Ivone filio Aschetilli', witness to confirmation of a
gift to St. Werburgh's abbey of Raby, co. Warwicks., ca. 1135-40
[Barraclough, charter #21 - from P.R.O., C.53 (Chancery Charter Rolls),
no. 73, m. 10].
As constable of Coventry castle, ca. 1144, he is identified as also being the brother of Geoffrey: 'Ivone constabulario', witness to a grant in Coventry
together with Thurstan Banaster and brother Geoffrey ['Gaufrido dispensatore']
[Barraclough, charter #72, cites B. L. Harl. MS. 7, ff. 101v-102].
'FILE - DEEDS AND PAPERS - ref. DR10/192 -
date: c. 1155-67
Witnesses: Richard abbot of Legr', Thurstan abbot of
Gerad' [Garendon], Robert abbot of Pipwell', Ralph
Basset, William de Hasting', William Burdet, Ernulf
de Bosco, Ivo de Harwecurt, Richard Mall' and
Ancarill' Mall' his brother, Ivo de Hallespad',
Geoffrey 'dispensario' his brother and many others.'
Werburgh's abbey of Raby, co. Warwicks., ca. 1135-40 [Barraclough, charter #21 - from P.R.O., C.53 (Chancery Charter Rolls), no. 73, m. 10][13] constable of Coventry castle, ca.1144 under Ranulf, Earl of Chester:fls. 1160 gift of Ivo de Alspath to the monks of St. Nicholas of Kirby, ca. 1160
'Gaufrido dispensatore et Ivone fratre suo..', charter #82 ]
'Gaufrido dispensatore', witness together with brother Ivo de Alspath of recognition of Eustace fitz John as constable of Chester, ca. 1144-45 [Barraclough, charter #73, cites B. L. Cott. Charter xvi, 36; collated, where mutilated, with Bodleian Library, Dugdale MS. 17, p. 82 and P.R.O., D.L. 42/1

Osmata, a daughter of Ivo de Alspath = Warin ,son of Fulcher Brito

William Brito -Steward of the Honour of Skipton, he later became a deputy sheriff of Yorkshire. Not only does he go by Willaim Brittone, he also went by William Despenser.
In 1206 William son of Warin complained that Peter de Aslacton (gaurdian),
custos of the fee of William de Jorz (' Gorz '), which was held in chief of the king, would not permit him to enjoy 1 virgate in Wimeswould which his uncle Michael the clerk gave him.
William Brittone (Brito) alias William Despenser of (Meppershall)
William Brito s. of Warin gave land in Meppershall to Chicksand priory (Charters to Chicksand Priory, xvi, p. 118). In 1242 William Brito held one and a half hides of the barony at Halton. (Fees, 887).

William Brito's son was Robert Brito detailed here:
Robert Bret alias: Robert Fitzwilliam

In 1216 Robert Fitzwilliam gave 60 marks for seisin of his lands in the counties of Nottingham and Derby, and of lands in Wimeswould and Tugby,
Leics.2
In 1217 Robert Brito of Leicestershire returned to allegiance.
He had been a serjeant in the garrison of Belvoir castle in 1216.
Robert le Bret was summoned to warrant the Prior of Chacombe and others in 1226.9 Robert le
Bret held in Rotherby in 1235-6 of Hugh de Aubigny fee.

Meppershall occurs in the reign of Henry II [1154-1189], when Robert son of William de Meppershall presented the advowson of the church of Meppershall to the priory of Lenton. (fn. 7) The manor continued for nearly three hundred years in the possession of the Meppershalls, who derived their family name from it, passing from father to son without a break in the line of succession. John of Meppershall, who died seised of the manor in 1230, held it of the king by the serjeanty of the office of king's larderer, (fn. 8) and his descendants continued to hold it of the king by grand serjeanty as late as 1493; (fn. 9) in 1607 it was held of the king in chief by knight service. (fn. 10)

Other lands in Meppershall were held by the priory of Merton (co. Surrey), which acquired 100 acres of land by the grant of Robert son of William le Despenser. These lands were held of the king by serjeanty, and the grant was confirmed by Henry II, and later by Henry III in 1252. (fn. 71) In the reign of Edward I the annual value of lands held of the prior in Meppershall, Stokesholt, Astwick, and Dunton was £5 6s. 2d., (fn. 72) and his holding in Meppershall amounted to one carucate. (fn. 73) The prior failed to make good his claim to view of frankpledge over tenants in the eighth part of the parish of Meppershall in 1330, when he asserted that the right was granted to him by Richard I and confirmed by a charter of Henry III. The jury showed that in the reign of Henry (bef. 1135), Gilbert de Meppershall held the manor of Meppershall bef. to which there was then no view of frankpledge attached, and the prior had usurped view of frankpledge from the king.
Source; Parishes: Meppershall Pages 288-293
"A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908."

The male line of Brito (Meppershall)is as follows:

Salomonis held Meppershall at Domesday
...Gilbert held Meppershall,Beds. bef. 1135. Alias Gilbert de Sanderville of the Sanderville fief of the Honour of Skipton))
......Fulcher Brito
........Warin fitz Fulcher Brito = Osmata
...........William Brito -Steward of the Honour of Skipton

In the reign of Edward I the annual value of lands held of the prior in Meppershall, Stokesholt, Astwick, and Dunton was £5 6s. 2d., (fn. 72) and his holding in Meppershall amounted to one carucate. (fn. 73) The prior failed to make good his claim to view of frankpledge over tenants in the eighth part of the parish of Meppershall in 1330, when he asserted that the right was granted to him by Richard I and confirmed by a charter of Henry III. The jury showed that in the reign of Henry (bef. 1135), Gilbert de Meppershall held the manor of Meppershall bef. to which there was then no view of frankpledge attached, and the prior had usurped view of frankpledge from the king.

Posted by Robert Spencer, with thanks to Bruce Watson, Matt Tompkins, and John Ravilous and Rosie Bevan for some of the information is gleaned from their previous posts.

Note: I have many more notes and lines that bear relevance but will post later.

The Hoorn

Dec 23, 2015, 10:44:50 PM12/23/15
Hi Douglas:

Do you have anything new or more to add on this:

http://fabpedigree.com/s079/f093891.htm

Hawise (prob. le DESPENSER)

(The identity of Ralph Basset's wife Hawise is unknown, but recently Douglas Richardson and John P. Ravilious have advanced evidence for a le Despenser connection)

Note: The conclusion, by Mr. Ravilious, that Ralph Basset's wife was indeed a Despencer, is a marvelous example of medieval genealogical deduction.

There is a famous brass commemorating the 1347 death of Hugh de Hastings (of Gressing Hall), q.v, showing King Edward III and 7 other weepers. These weepers include 2 nephews of the deceased, 3 1st cousins, one 1st cousin 1x removed, and Ralph Stafford (1301 - 1372), q.v., who had no previously known kinship relation to Hugh de Hastings. Hugh de Hastings would be the grandnephew of Hawise Despenser (if she existed), who was previously conjectured to be Ralph Stafford's grandmother.

This would make the 7th weeper to be 2nd cousin of the deceased, hence promoting Hawise's Despencer connection from `possible' to `probable.'

norenxaq via

Dec 23, 2015, 11:36:29 PM12/23/15
to Gen-Med

On Dec 23, 2015, at 7:44 PM, The Hoorn via wrote:

> Hi Douglas:
>
> Do you have anything new or more to add on this:
>
> http://fabpedigree.com/s079/f093891.htm
>
> Hawise (prob. le DESPENSER)

NEVER use fabpedigree as a source as it contains unmarked speculation and wrong information