For D. C. Richardson

Tony Ingham

Jul 26, 2005, 11:53:31 PM7/26/05
Douglas,

indicates that the on line info contains more than a glimmer of truth.
[The E.R.O. index is riddled with typographical errors which probably
explains the name Glynis]

1530 Essex Record Office D/DCe/Z12
Draft (?of Agreement) betw (i) John HAMPDEN, esq., son and h. of John
HAMPDEN; (ii) Edm., Katryn and Margery HAMPDEN, exors. of will of Thomas
HAMPDEN; (iii) Edw., Francis and Alexander HAMPDEN, sons of Thomas and
Margery HAMPDEN; (iv) (blank) Scotte, gent.and w. Joan, and Humph. Cotes
and w. Glynis, daughter of Thomas and Margery HAMPDEN.
Recites will of Thomas HAMPDEN, incl. disposal of manors of
"Baledlowe, Chilton and Esynton (co. Bucks) and of other lands in "Buk
and Oxerford" (damaged) 15 May 22 Henry (viii, 1530)

I know you must be very busy posting out MCA's but I'd be pleased if you
would indulge me for a few minutes.

My interest in Family History is centred on two families Poyntz and
Barlee. This arises from the marriage of John Barlee,son and heir of
Richard Barlee (d.1499/1500), and Margaret Poyntz a daughter of William
Poyntz of North Okendon Essex. The marriage would have occurred some
time between 1501 when John married his first wife Elizabeth widow of
William Thornhill of Fixby Yorkshire and Hatfield Regis Essex (d.1500)
and 1512.

Richard Barlee left three daughters by his second wife Jane, daughter of
John Gainsford of Blakfeld in Lingfield Surrey. One daughter Catherine
married John Skinner of Reigate Surrey. John's father, also John,
married as his second wife Richard Barlee's widow Jane.

John Skinner, son of John Skinner and Catherine married Anne Newdigate,
daughter of . . . . Newdigate. VCH Surrey 1530, 1572, and 1623 suggests
Thomas Newdigate.

Now to cut to the chase.

This Anne Newdigate had a brother Thomas Newdigate and a sister
Elizabeth married to Edmund Pope.

Thomas Newdigate is said to have married Katherine, one of the daughters
of Sir John Hampden knight (d.1553) and relict of Henry Ferrers esquire
of Baddesley Clinton (d.1526). Katherine had provided an heir Edward
Ferrers (born abt 1525/6).

Thomas Newdigate (d.1559) names in his will his children, Thomas,
Elizabeth, Barbara and Dorothy. All are under the age of 21 and
unmarried. Thus none of the children was born prior to 1538.

WHY would there be such a gap, from 1526-1538, with no children arising
from the assumed marriage?

Was Thomas Newdigate under age, or may be a bit shy? Is there any
definitive proof that Katherine was the mother of Elizabeth who married
William Poyntz of Woodhatch nr. Reigate in 1569, some 43 years after the
death of Henry Ferrers?

This is not an attack on the veracity of your data as I have not seen
it. I would ask if you could show me and any one else who may be
interested, your accounts, drawn from both your latest books, of say
John Hampden (d.1553) and his two daughters Katherine and Barbara please.

Hopefully, if we then find that we are at variance we can discuss the
pros and cons in a reasonable manner.

Tony Ingham
AUSTRALIA