Thomas Hussey and Rev. Thomas Denne?

jeffery...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2020, 4:46:23 PM8/22/20
I'm afraid I haven't seen the TAG article on the English ancestry of Thomas Hussey of Charles County, Maryland, but I did run across a reference online to his mother being an Ann Denne, daughter of a Rev. Thomas Denne (d. 1640). I make no claim as to knowing whether or not this is accurate, but if it is, can anyone provide any information on this Rev. Thomas Denne? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff Duvall
jdu...@iupui.edu

JBrand

Aug 22, 2020, 6:02:22 PM8/22/20
He is the one identified as "minister of Layton" on p. 55 of _The Genealogist_, n.s., vol. 32:

https://archive.org/details/genealogist32selb/page/n131/mode/2up

fowler...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2021, 8:39:30 AM7/30/21
John Hussey and Anne Denne were married at St. Mary, Latton, Essex on 20 April 1631: St. Mary (Latton, Essex, England), parish registers, "1631," John Hussee and Anne Dunne; digital images, Essex County Council, Essex Record Office (www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk : accessed 30 Jul 2021); "Mr John Hussee of Lyttle Laver and Anne Denne of this parish married the twenteth of April".

Anne Denne was baptised at Latton on 3 August 1606: St. Mary (Latton, Essex, England), parish registers, "1606," Anne Denne; digital images, Essex County Council, Essex Record Office (www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk : accessed 30 Jul 2021); "Anne Denne daughter of Thomas Denne baptized also the said third day of August".

Anne was buried at Little Laver, Essex on 23 September 1636: St. Mary the Virgin (Little Laver, Essex, England), parish registers, "1636," Anne Hussee; digital images, Intellectual Reserve, Inc., FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org); "Anne Hussee the wife of John Hussee was buried the 23 of September 1636".

Thomas Denne was indeed vicar of Latton where he was succeeded by his son, also Thomas Denne: Church of England, "Clergy of the Church of England 1540-8135 (CCEd)," database(http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/ : accessed 30 Jul 2021).

John Hussey was appointed rector of Little Laver, Essex on 7 December 1627: Church of England, "Clergy of the Church of England 1540-8135 (CCEd)," database(http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/ : accessed 28 Jul 2021), John Hassey; citing Calendar of Docquets.

He was educated at Cambridge: John Venn and John Archibald Venn, editors, Alumni Cantabrigienses: A Biographical List of All Known Students, Graduates and Holders of Office at the University of Cambridge, from the Earliest Times to 1900, Part I (from the earliest times to 1751) (2 volumes; Part II (1751-1900) (6 volumes) (Cambridge, England: The University Press, 1922-1954), I, part 2: 438; Matric. sizar from Clare, Lent, 1607-8; B.A. 1611-2; M.A. 1615. Ord. deacon (York, for Lincoln) Sept. 1616. R. of High Laver (sic), Essex, till 1637.

He was later Rector or Register of Hareby, Lincolnshire where he died in 1656. There is an unusual entry in the parish where he is initially described as rector and then elected as "Register". St. Peter and St. Paul (Hareby, Lincolnshire, England), parish registers, John Hussey rector (or register); digital images, Findmypast, FindMyPast (www.findmypast.co.uk).

John Hussey of Hareby made a Will on 6 November 1656 (PCC PROB/11/262) which mentions his 5 surviving children (Mary died in October 1656) and siblings Martha Cole, Hannah Street and Robert Hussey (all 3 of whom are also mentioned in the Will of Mary (Wroth) Hussey).
Thomas Hussey was baptised at Little Laver on 30 September 1634: St. Mary the Virgin (Little Laver, Essex, England), parish registers, "1634," Thomas Hussee; digital images, Intellectual Reserve, Inc., FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org); "Thomas Hussee the sonne of John Hussee was baptized the 30 of September".

Thomas Hussey, his siblings Mary, Abigail, John and Elizabeth and their father John are all mentioned in the Will of Mary (Wroth) Hussey dated 20 April 1646 (PCC PROB/11/200). A sixth sibling, Sarah was born later (baptised at Hareby on 5 November 1647).

The website Archives of Maryland Online contains the text of the 1656 bond held by Thomas Hussey on his father John Hussey of "Harby in ye County of Lincolne Clarke" (https://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc2900/sc2908/000001/000065/html/am65--673.html).

There is additional sourced information about Thomas Hussey in the online copy of British Roots of Maryland Families available on Ancestry.com: Robert W. Barnes, British Roots of Maryland Families, 2 volumes (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1999-2002), I: 257.

Mary (Marie) Wroth was the daughter of Sir Thomas Wroth (c. 1518-1573) and is mentioned in his Will dated 5 October 1573 as one of his then unmarried daughters (PCC PROB/11/57).

Her marriage to John Hussey is recorded in the Hussey pedigrees in the Visitations of London, 1661-1663: Joseph Jackson Howard LL.D., F.S.A. and Joseph Lemuel Chester LL.D., editors, The Visitation of London 1631-1633, 2 volumes (London, England: The Harleian Society, 1880), I: 407 (Hussey pedigrees).

The Will of Robert Wroth (c. 1539-1606) dated 6 January 1605-06 (PCC/PROB/11/107), son of Thomas Wroth, includes a legacy to his "sister Hussey".

Sir Thomas Wroth is a descendant of Magna Carta Surety Baron William de Huntingfield and appears in trails badged by the Magna Carta Project on WikiTree.

Hopefully this information will assist in qualifying Thomas Hussey as a Gateway Ancestor for the purposes of the Magna Carta Project.