Philippa Thornbury

Colin

Jan 25, 2014, 5:51:47 PM1/25/14
My 14 x great-grandmother was Philippa THORNBURY, born about 1430. She married John PYMPE and later married Sir John GUILDFORD, whose son Sir Richard married Anne PYMPE, daughter of John and Philippa !!

However, in some records she is shown as Philippa ST LEGER and certain documents such as the will of John PYMPE, son of John and Philippa, mention 'cousins St Leger', which implies that there is some connection between the families. My question is what is the connection ? A connection to the famous St Leger family would be a great find, but I'm still sceptical in view of the above.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

Douglas Richardson

Jan 25, 2014, 6:33:38 PM1/25/14
Dear Colin ~

In ansewer to your question, I believe the connection between the Pympe and Saint Leger families is due to a common descent from Richard Cheyne (or Cheyney), of Shurland (in Eastchurch), Kent.

I. Richard Cheyne (or Cheyney), of Shurland (in Eastchurch), Kent, married Margaret Cralle, by whom he had seven children, including two daughters:

1. Margery Cheyne, married (1st) James Donet, of Sileham (in Rainham), Kent, died 1409; (2nd) John Salerne, of Rye and Leigh (in Iden), Sussex, died 1415.

Child of Margery Cheyne, by James Donet:

a. Margery Donet, living, 1442, married John Saint Leger, Esq., of Ulcombe, Kent, died 1441. They were the parents of five sons, Ralph, Esq., Thomas, Knt., Richard, James, Knt., and Bartholomew, Esq., and four daughters, Katherine (wife of Thomas Milbourne, Knt., and John Dye), Florence (wife of John Clifford and John Brockman, Esq.), Margaret (wife of John Clinton, Lord Clinton and Say, Walter Hungerford, Esq., and John Heveningham, Knt.), and Alice.

2. Isabel Cheyne, married John Pympe. Benolte et al., Four Vis. of Berkshire 1532, 1566, 1623 & 1665–6 2 (H.S.P. 57) (1908): 102–105 (Cheney ped.: “Isabel [Cheney] vx : John Pimp, of whom comes Scott of Kent.”).

For additional details of these families, please see my book, Royal Ancestry, published 2013.

Colin

Jan 26, 2014, 5:16:54 PM1/26/14

Darrell E. Larocque

Aug 9, 2022, 11:19:32 AM8/9/22
Douglas,

How can Katherine be a child of John Saint Leger and Margery Donet if the will of John Saint Leger never mentions a daughter Katherine?

https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/Wills/Lbth/Bk23/page%20248.htm

Please advise. Thank you!

Darrell E. Larocque