Pulteney or Poultney Family of Misterton, Leicestershire

Chuck Owens

Jan 25, 2005, 4:39:34 PM1/25/05
Hello List,

I am trying to find out the ancestry of Sir Thomas Payne and his wife
Margaret Pulteney of Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, late 15th-early
16th century. According to secondary sources, Margaret's father was a
Sir Thomas Pulteney who may have been from Misterton, Leicestershire.
One Sir Thomas who was married to Ann Shirley is usually listed as
Margaret's father but Margaret may have actually been the daughter of a
Sir Thomas Pulteney who was married to a Rose (Lucy or ?), and who may
have been the other Thomas' father or uncle. I have examined three
different Pulteney wills, a Thomas from 1507, a Thomas from 1540, and a
John from the late 1400s, and I cannot seem to find any mention of a
daughter Margaret who was married to a Thomas Payne. Granted my
ability to read the handwriting of that time period is rather limited.
Any help, especially, if it is based on primary sources, would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck Owens

Claud...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2005, 12:53:06 AM1/26/05
I have a great deal on the Pulteney family and this may be of help to you.
The will of Thomas Poultney who died on August 3, 1540, does not mention all his
children. He was married to Anne Shirley. This is the documentation I have on
Thomas Poultney:

J. Nichols - Antiquities of Leicestershire- Vol. IV Part I sub Misterton page
309:

Thomas de Pulteney married Anne daughter of Sir Ralph Shirley; by whom he had
two sons Francis, his successor and Thomas, from whom the later Earls of Bath
descended. He had five daughters; Elizabeth, Agnes, Roesia, Margaret and
Dorothy.

Sir Thomas Pulteney died in 1540.

He left a PCC will - PCC 10 Alenger. In the will he names his son[in-law]
George Sherard [husband of his daughter Rose Poultney] his sister Margaret and
his brother William Poultney. He also names his eldest son Francis Poultney and
his daughter Elizabeth Poultney.

George F. Farnham, Leicestershire Medieval Village Notes, Vol. III, Edgar
Backus, 1929, Leicester, sub Misterton, pages 229-231:

Cal. Patent rolls 1494-1509, p. 559, 29 May, 1508. Licence of entry without
proof of age for Thomas Pulteney, kinsman and heir of Thomas Pulteney, knight,
who held of the king in chief, on all the lands of the said Thomas.

De Banco roll 984, Easter, 23 Henry VII, 1508, membrane 24, London: Henry
Stafford, knight, and the marchioness of Dorset v. Thomas Pulteney, of Misterton,
co. Leicester, esquire, William Assheby, of Lowesby, esq., William Burton, of
Misterton, clerk, Adam Oates and Robert Holcote, both of Misterton,
gentlemen, executors of the will of Thomas Pulteney, of Misterton, knight, in a plea of
£17.

Ibid. membrane 425, Leycester: William Skevyngton, esq., and Richard Aldy, of
Groby, clerk, executors of the will of Thomas, marquis of Dorset, and Cecily,
marchioness of Dorset, executrix of the same will, were summoned to answer
Thomas Pulteney, esq., William Assheby, esq., William Burton, clerk, Adam Cotes
and Robert Holcote, executors of the will of Thomas Pulteney, kt., in a plea
of £34 13s. 0d. which they say the marquis on 6 February, 13 Henry VII, 1498,
granted to Thomas Pulteney, the testator, for his good service and advice, with
the office of Steward of his lordship of Lutterworth for term of his life.
They ask leave to imparl.

Common pleas roll 1025, 11 Henry VIII, Trinity, 1519, membrane 463. Thomas
Pulteney, esq., v. many persons (named) in a plea that they permit him to
present a suitable parson to the church of Shawell, which is void, and the
presentation belongs to him.

Lay Subsidy roll, 133-122, 15 Henry VIII, 1524. Thomas Pulteney, knight, in
lands £160, tax £8.

Fine, Easter, 17 Henry VIII, 1525. Between Thomas Pulteney, knight, and Anne,
his wife, one of the kinswomen and heirs of Thomas Walsshe, plaintiffs, and
Joan Aston, widow, another kinswoman and heir of the said Thomas Walsshe,
defendant of the manors of Nether Whitacre and Holte Hall and 34 messuages, 10
tofts, 500 acres of land, 110 of meadow, 306 of wood, 400 of furze and heath and
50s. 8d. rent in Whitacre, Fresley, Holte Hall and Walton by street, co.
Warwick, and the manors of Welshall and Burton Overy and 38 messuages, 6 tofts, a
watermill, 900 acres of land, 160 of meadow, 420 of pasture, 3 of wood and 56s.
rent in Leycester, Burton Overay, Harborough, Great Bowden, Crafte, Busshbye,
Thurnbye, Bocheston, Newton and Cropston, co. Leicester and a toft, 10 acres
of meadow and 40 of pasture in Oxenden parva and Bowden parva, co. Northampton.
Right of the plaintiffs.

N.B.--Anne was the daughter of Elizabeth (Shirley), the daughter of Thomas
Walsshe, and Joan was the daughter of Helen (Littleton), the other daughter and
co-heir with Anne of Thomas Walsshe, of Wanlip.

Inquisition p.m. Thomas Pulteney, knight, Series ii, 63-36, taken at
Leicester on 20 October, 33 Henry VIII, 1541. The jury say that Thomas Pulteney was
seised in his demesne as of fee of the manor of Misterton and 100 acres of
meadow and 80 of pasture in Misterton, also of the advowson of the church of
Misterton. Also of the manor of Pulteney and 1000 acres of pasture in Pulteney. And
of 6 messuages, 10 virgates of land and 6s. 5 and 1/2d. rent in North
Kilworth, 3 messuages and 3 virgates of land in Walcot, a messuage and half a virgate
of land in South Kilworth, a messuage in Lutterworth, a messuage and virgate
of land in Cottesbiche, and a messuage and 3 virgates of land in Harborough.
Also of the manor of Cotes Deyville and 100 acres of land, 40 of meadow and 200
of pasture in Cotes Deyville, Also of the manors of Claybroke and Ullesthorp
and 3 messuages and a virgate of land in Sharnford, 100s. of rent in Busshby
and Thurnby, a messuage and virgate of land in Shawelby, a cottage in Bittesby,
a meadow in Burton Overy, a messuage and 3 virgates of land in Great Petlyng,
a close in Neutowne and a close in Bocheston.

One moiety of the manor of Misterton was held of John, bishop of Lincoln by
service of a fourth part of one knight's fee. The other moiety was held of
Henry, marquis of Dorset, as parcel of the fee of Wynton, by a fourth part of a
knight's fee and worth £45 2s. 0d.

One moiety of the manor of Pulteney was held of the same bishop, and the
other moiety was held of the same marquis, as of the honour of Wynton, and worth
£30. Thomas Pulteney died 3 August, 1540. Francis Pulteney, esq., is his son
and heir and aged 34 years at this date.

PCC wills, PCC 10 Alenger. Will of Thomas Pulteney, knight, 3 October 1539.
My body to be buried in Our Lady Chapel in the church of Misterton. To the
church of Misterton a whole suit of vestments of violet velvet, that is to say, a
cope and a vestment and one other for the deacon and another for the
sub-deacon, whereupon I will my arms shall be set upon the same vestments. Vestments of
white damask to various other contiguous churches. To Francis Pulteney, my
son and heir, a bason and ewer of silver parcel gilt and 2 silver pots parcel
gilt. To my son, Sherard, and to my daughter, Rose, his wife, one gilt goblet of
silver with a cover and a silver bowl with cover, whereupon my arms to be
graven. To my son, Richard Pulteney, a gilt goblet and a silver bowl. To my
brother William Pulteney, my high standing cup with a cover all gilt. To Michael
Pulteney, eldest son and heir to my said son, Francis, one little pounced with a
cover all gilt.

To my sister Margaret Brasbrygge, one little silver cup with a cover parcel
gilt and to Bennett Wyllens one silver salt. To Ellen Sherard one silver salt
and to Elizabeth Pulteney, daughter to my son, Francis, a silver bowl, and to
Margery Prest one old salt.

I will that my executors keep house at Misterton by the space of three months
and all such persons as shall be my servants at the time of my death shall
there freely have their meat and drink.

Residuary legatees and executors: my son, George Sherard, my brother, William
Pulteney, Sir John Thompson, chaplain, and my servant, Thomas Cotton.
Supervisor: my son, Francis Pulteney.

proved 25 August 1540.

Best Regards,
MichaelAnne Guido

Lynn Scott

Jan 26, 2005, 2:28:08 PM1/26/05
I'm interested in the Elizabeth Pulteney, daughter of Sir Thomas Pulteney,
who married Sir William Feilding, and whether or not she was a daughter of
the Thomas Poultney whose will was referenced in the previous
message. Although the writer notes that the will referred (among others)
to a daughter Elizabeth, the actual text of the will given later seems to
me to indicate that this Elizabeth was the daughter, not of Thomas, but of
his son Francis.

From the will of Sir William Feilding dated 15 Apr 1540 (PRO Catalogue
PROB 11/31, proved 29 Nov 1547), we know that his first wife Elizabeth was
dead and that he had married again and had another son by his new wife
Isabel as of the date of his will. If a daughter of the Sir Thomas
Poultney who died in 1540, then, Elizabeth would not have been mentioned in
that will, if she had died before 3 Oct 1539 when Thomas Poultney wrote his
will.

From the will of Sir William Feilding dated 15 Apr 1540, we also know that
he not only had taken a new wife, Isabel, but also had a son Faustine by
that new wife, from which one can infer that Elizabeth Feilding nee
Pulteney must have died at least before July 1539.

Can anyone on the list shed light, then, on just when his first wife
Elizabeth Pulteney died, and confirm whether or not she was a daughter of
the Sir Thomas Poultney who died in 1540 and Anne Shirley? A birth or
marriage date would also be a welcome addition for her.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn Scott

At 12:52 AM 1/26/2005, you wrote:
>I have a great deal on the Pulteney family and this may be of help to you.
>The will of Thomas Poultney who died on August 3, 1540, does not mention
>all his
>children. He was married to Anne Shirley. This is the documentation I have on
>Thomas Poultney:
>
>J. Nichols - Antiquities of Leicestershire- Vol. IV Part I sub Misterton page
>309:
>
>Thomas de Pulteney married Anne daughter of Sir Ralph Shirley; by whom he had
>two sons Francis, his successor and Thomas, from whom the later Earls of Bath
>descended. He had five daughters; Elizabeth, Agnes, Roesia, Margaret and
>Dorothy.
>
>Sir Thomas Pulteney died in 1540.
>
>He left a PCC will - PCC 10 Alenger. In the will he names his son[in-law]
>George Sherard [husband of his daughter Rose Poultney] his sister Margaret
>and
>his brother William Poultney. He also names his eldest son Francis
>Poultney and
>his daughter Elizabeth Poultney.

><snip>

Chuck Owens

Jan 26, 2005, 3:57:22 PM1/26/05
I have a copy of this will, of Sir Thomas Pulteney whose will was
proved in August 1540. I can understand the handwriting in the will a
little better now from the transcript you have provided me. He doesn't
mention a daughter named Margaret so I'm wondering where the idea that
he had a daughter named Margaret came from. He does indeed mention a
sister named Margaret Brasbrygge and the question does arise whether
Margaret Brasbygge could have been married to a Thomas Payne earlier
and this was her second marriage.

I also have a copy of the will of a Sir Thomas Pulteney whose will was
proved in June 1507. He mentions a William Button _ of Misterton.
He also mentions a Thomas Pulteney. He mentions a William Sp_ or
Ashby? and a Johane Campion. He seems to mention a Margaret Roberts?
and a wife named Agnes. I'm not quite sure if he's the father of Sir
Thomas whose will was probated in 1540.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck Owens

Jan 26, 2005, 4:16:06 PM1/26/05
Hi Lynn,

I only know of two Sir Thomas Pulteneys, the one whose will was
probated in 1540 and the one whose will was probated in 1507. She
seems most likely to have been a daughter of the earlier Sir Thomas
Pulteney based on the dates.

Regards,

Chuck

Claud...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2005, 4:42:46 PM1/26/05
Dear Lynn,

Elizabeth Poultney married Twice. Her first husband was Thomas Andrew of
Charwelton, co. Northampton by whom she had at least two sons Edmund and Richard.
Her second husband was Sir William Feilding by whom she had three children:

1. Sir Basil Feilding married Goditha Willington of Barcheston co. Warwick
2. Barbara Feilding who married Richard Cave
3. Everard Feilding who left three sons Basil, Faustin and William who
married Anne Thwaytes [Starford co. York Feildings].

She is recorded by J. Nicholas in his Antiquities of Leicestershire Vol. IV
Part I, sub Lutterworth, page 288:

Sir William Feilding is buried in the chancel of Monks Kirby Church in co.
Warwick, under a raised tomb, whereon lies the effigies of a knight in armour,
with his wife by him, both at full length, with a lion at their feet, and this
inscription:

Here lyeth the body of Sir William Fielding, knight, late of Padoxe-Newnham;
which deceased the xxiv of Septmebre, MDXLVII. And Elizabeth his wife,
daughter of Sir Thomas Poultney, which deceased the viii of Septem. MDXXXIX. who had
issue two sons and one daughter.

So she died Sept. 8, 1539 according to Nichols. She is the daughter of Thomas
Poultney [died May 7, 1507] by his wife Roesia Lucy of Charlecote, co.
Warwickshire. This is shown by her lawsuit against her nephew Thomas Poultney [who
married Anne Shirley] and who was also executor to his grandfather's will as
his father John Poultney had predeceased his grandfather. John Poultney died
Jan. 20, 1491/2. He left an only son Thomas Poultney born in 1480 who married
Anne Shirley. When Thomas Poultney [father of John] died on May 7, 1507, his
next heir was his grandson Thomas Poultney:

Pedigree of Poultney from J. Nichols _ Antiquities of Leicestershire_ sub.
Walcote in Misterton Vol. IV part I page 319:

Sir Thomas Poultney, K.B. knighted 1483 died May 7, 1507 married Roesia,
daughter of Sir William Lucy of Charlecote, co. Warwick.

Page 309:

Thomas de Pulteney, who was Sheriff of Leicester and Warwick 1480 and 1493;
and at the coronation of Elizabeth, queen of Henry VII, was made a knight of
Bath. He died May 7, 1507; and by his will dated April 22, 1507 styles himself
of Misteron, and orders his body to be buried in the chancel of the White
Friars of Coventry, attended by 24 poor men, each in a gown, with a leopard's head
behind and before, and carrying as many torches. He also bequeathed Ł20
toward making the chamber in White Friars there, where he used to lie; and 6s. 8d.
to the bachelors of White Friars, to say a sermon in the church of Misterton;
to which he also bequeathed his best velvet gown with fur, and his other gown
of black velvet to make vestments.

Page 313:

The church in Misterton is dedicated to St. Leonard. The following arms
and inscriptions were noted by Burton in his history of Leicester:

A fess, double dancetty Gules, three leopards heads in chief sable: under
which is written:
Orate pro animabus Johannis Poulteney et Margarete uxoris, quondam patronorum
instius ecclesie.

Mr. Wryley adds to this Fig, 17, 18:
Orate pro animbus Tho' Poultney et Rose uxoris ejus.
Dorothie Poultney daughter of Thomas Poultney knight.

Page 315:

On the North side of the church at Misterton:
Pulteney impaling, Gules, seme of cross crosslets, three luces haurient OR.
Lucy.

Under it on a scroll, Thomas Pulteney - Roise Lucy

The Pulteney arms were quartered with Lucy, Walshe and Byron.

He left a PCC will - PCC 24 Adeane.
In this will he names his heir Thomas Poultney and his other grandson William
Poultney. He also named his Godson Edward Andrews.

This is the father and mother of Elizabeth Poultney who married (1) Thomas
Andrews and (2) Sir William Feilding. In a chancery suit later she sues her
nephew Sir Thomas Poultney [who married Anne Shirley] and both are identified.

C1/310/60
William Fyldyng and Elizabeth, his wife, late the wife of Thomas Andrewe, and
daughter of Thomas Pulteney, knight, deceased v. Thomas Pulteney, heir and
executor of the said Thomas Pulteney, knight: Detention of bonds by Andrewe to
purchase lands for the said Elizabeth's jointure, never executed.

George F. Farnham, Leicestershire Medieval Village Notes, Vol. III, Edgar

Backus, 1929, Leicester, sub Misterton, pages 227-229:

De Banco roll 903, Hilary, 3 Henry VII, 1488, membrane 378, Leycester: Thomas
Pulteney, of Misterton, esq, William Bradgate, of Petelyng Parva, v. Richard
Greene, of Foxton, and Thomas Wygyn, of Knaptoft, husbandmen, in pleas of Ł40
each.

Ibid. Deed enrolled. Thomas Pounteney, of Misterton, co. Leicester, knight,
lately called Thomas Pounteney, esquire, came into court on 30 January in this
term and enrolled a deed in these words: "Know all men that we, Thomas
Pounteney, of Misterton, co. Leicester, knight, and John Pounteney, son and heir
apparent of the same Thomas, have quitclaimed to Reginald Sondes of Trulegh, co.
Kent, esq., and others as feoffees to the use of Reginald, his heirs, etc. all
the right and claim which we had or can have in the said manor of Trulegh."
Dated 3 December.

Inquisition p.m. Thomas Pulteney, knight, taken at Leicester on 20 June, 22
Henry VII, 1507. the jury say that Thomas Pulteney was seised in his demesne as
of fee of the manor of Misterton and 100 acres of meadow and 800 of pasture
in Misterton and the advowson of the church of Misterton. Also of the manor of
Pulteney and 1000 acres of pasture in Pulteney, 6 messuages and 10 virgates of
land in North Kilworth, a messuage and half virgate in South Kilworth and a
messuage in Lutterworth. The jury further say that Richard Howkyns, clerk, was
seised of the manor of Cotes Devyle and 100 acres of land, 40 of meadow and
200 of pasture in Cotes Devyle and so seised, by a charter dated 15 June, 8
Henry VII, 1493, granted the same to Rose Pulteney, widow, late the wife of John
Pulteney, esq., to hold for her life, and Rose is still thereof seised.

The manor of Misterton was held, as to one moiety, of William, bishop of
Lincoln, and as to the other moiety, of Thomas, marquis of Dorset, as of the fee
of Wynton, by a fourth part of a knight's fee.

The manor of Pulteney was similarly held. Thomas Pulteney died on 7 May last.
Thomas Pulteney is kinsman and next heir, namely, son of John, son of the
aforesaid Thomas Pulteney, knight, and aged 27 years and more.

Best regards,
MichaelAnne

Claud...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2005, 4:48:11 PM1/26/05
Dear Chuck,

Many times not all children were mentioned in wills in this period. The
information on Margaret Poultney being the daughter of Thomas Poultney and Anne
Shirley is stated by Nichols.

J. Nichols - Antiquities of Leicestershire- Vol. IV Part I sub Misterton page
309:

Thomas de Pulteney married Anne daughter of Sir Ralph Shirley; by whom he had
two sons Francis, his successor and Thomas, from whom the later Earls of Bath
descended. He had five daughters; Elizabeth, Agnes, Roesia, Margaret and
Dorothy.

Nicholas gives the pedigree for this branch of the family.

Regards,
MichaelAnne

Chuck Owens

Jan 26, 2005, 6:49:47 PM1/26/05
Dear MichaelAnne,

Does this same source give Margaret's husband as Sir Thomas Payne?
Many Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck Owens

Jan 26, 2005, 7:00:16 PM1/26/05
Dear MichaelAnne,

You mention that Sir Thomas Pulteney (will probated 1540) had John
Pulteney, esq. as his father, and that John Pulteney, esq.'s father was
Sir Thomas Pulteney (will probated 1507). Here you refer to John's
wife as Rose Pulteney. Any ideas on what was the maiden name of Rose,
wife of John Pulteney, esq.?

"Devyle and so seised, by a charter dated 15 June, 8
Henry VII, 1493, granted the same to Rose Pulteney, widow, late the
wife of
John
Pulteney, esq., to hold for her life, and Rose is still thereof
seised."

Thanks,

Chuck

Lynn Scott

Jan 27, 2005, 10:58:21 PM1/27/05
Dear MichaelAnne,

Many thanks for a wealth of information on Sir Thomas Poultney (d 1507) and
his daughter Elizabeth who married Sir William Feilding.

The death date you provided from J. Nichol for Elizabeth Poultney, however,
presents me with a slight problem. If she died, as the tomb inscription
apparently indicates, on 8 Sep 1539, and if the copy of Sir William
Feilding's will in the PRO bears the correct date for his making his will,
on 16 Apr 1540 (and the writing of the copy is quite clear in this
instance), Sir William managed in only seven months to bury his first wife
(Elizabeth Poultney), marry his second wife (Isabel Bosworth), and see the
birth of a son of this second marriage (Faustyne Filding).

Is such fast work at a second family credible? I've found no evidence
among my somewhat limited resources to suggest any other mother for the son
Faustyne, and the will states clearly "I bequeath to my sonne Faustyne
Filding an hundreth pounde(s) to be paide and delyu(er)ed by his mother at
her Discression," which I have interpreted to mean that Faustyne was his
child by his then-living second wife Isabel. There are several references
to Faustyne and Everard as his younger sons, as well as to his eldest son
Basil.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome, as to whether the copyist who
produced the copy in the PRO made an error in the copy, whether a second
marriage would have followed the death of a first wife so quickly, what
likelihood of a premature child surviving, etc.?

Thanks.

Lynn Scott

At 04:42 PM 1/26/2005, you wrote:
>Elizabeth Poultney married Twice. Her first husband was Thomas Andrew of
>Charwelton, co. Northampton by whom she had at least two sons Edmund and
>Richard.
>Her second husband was Sir William Feilding by whom she had three children:

><snip>
>MichaelAnne

Claud...@aol.com

Jan 28, 2005, 3:16:31 PM1/28/05
Dear Lynn,

Sir William Feilding died Sept. 24, 1547. This is stated on his monument
inscription. His PCC will was dated April 8, 1547, and probated in November 1547.
The will is PCC 49 Alen.
After the death of Elizabeth Poultney he remarried Isabel Bosworth and had
one son Faustin Feilding.

Shaw, William A. _Knights of England_ Vol. 2; London, 1906:

Page 49:

Knight Bachelor - May 24, 1533 knights made at Greenwich before the
coronation of Queen Anne Boleyn on the Sunday before Whitsunday (Pentecost) William
Feldynge

William Feilding left a will dated April 8, 1547. PCC 49 Alen. Proved
November 1547 in PCC. He names his parents as Sir Edward (anglicized Everard)
Feilding and Gillis Feilding. His late wife as Elizabeth Feilding and requests to be
buried next to her. He lists his current wife as Isabel (Bosworth). He names
Lutterworth as left to him by his late wife Elizabeth (Poultney) Feilding.
Names sons: Basil, Edward (Everard) and Faustin Feilding. Mentions land in
Todington as part of the marriage contract between William Willington of Barcheston,
Warwickshire and himself for the marriage of their children Goditha Willington
and Basil Feilding, his heir.

Nichols_ Antiquities of Leicestershire_ Vol. IV Part I, sub Lutterworth, page
288:

Sir William Feilding is buried in the chancel of Monks Kirby Church in co.
Warwick, under a raised tomb, whereon lies the effigies of a knight in armour,
with his wife by him, both at full length, with a lion at their feet, and this
inscription:

Here lyeth the body of Sir William Fielding, knight, late of Padoxe-Newnham;
which deceased the xxiv of Septmebre, MDXLVII. And Elizabeth his wife,
daughter of Sir Thomas Poultney, which deceased the viii of Septem. MDXXXIX. who had
issue two sons and one daughter.

I know this monument is still standing and the inscription is still visible
as a friend in Warwickshire went to Monk's Kirby church and took the
information off the monument for me again on February 19, 2002, so I could verify the
information provided by Nichols.

Faustin Feilding died in 1584. I have a copy of his IPM from the PRO. In it
he names his wife Margaret and two sons William and Anthony. William
predeceased his father. William Feilding left a will PCC 32 Butts dated February 21,
1583. His will was probated March 30, 1582. He leaves bequests to his father
Faustin Feilding and his mother and also his brother Anthony Feilding. He left
one large bequest of £20 to a friend Oliver Babington. He died sp. I have no
other information on this branch of the family. There is one reference to
Faustin Feilding in the Patent rolls:

Calendar of the Patent Rolls Elizabeth I Vol. VI 1572-1575, published by the
Public Record Office London 1973: page 445:

#2792 Nov. 4, 1575 John Flower, Faustin Feldinge, George Mackworth and
William Rudd, feodary of the county of Rutland, ( or two of them, the feodary being
one); p.m. George Sherard.

Regards,
MichaelAnne

Lynn Scott

Jan 28, 2005, 5:07:10 PM1/28/05
Dear MichaelAnne,

Thanks very much again for sharing what you have on Elizabeth Poultney/Sir
William Feilding. I have in front of me a copy of Sir William Feilding's
will obtained from the Public Record Office (PROB 11/31, Name of Register,
Alen), which clearly begins: "In dei nomme Amen In the yeare of our Lorde
god a Thousand five hundred and Fourty the xvj daye of Aprill I William
Filding of Newnam in the parishe of Monkes Kirkby in the Comtie of
Warwike...". The gist of the contents is as stated in the previous
message The probate date according to the PRO index is as 29 November
1547, though I should note that I have some question marks in my own
transcription of the probate date as actually written in the copy. For the
date of writing given in the will, there is no space, erasure, insertion or
deletion visible, and no matter how I read it, it still comes out 16 April
1540. Do you or anyone know of another copy of this will, or has anyone
seen the original of this will, to confirm whether or not the copyist who
created the version in the Public Record Office made an error in the date?

As you can see, my issue is not with his date of death, or with the
references to various family members in the will, but simply with the
actual date when Sir William wrote his will, in light of the date in the
copy I obtained from the PRO, as it does have implications for the date of
his marriage to Isabel and the birthdate of his son Faustin.

Sorry to be so finicky!

Lynn Scott

At 03:16 PM 1/28/2005, you wrote:
>Dear Lynn,
>
>Sir William Feilding died Sept. 24, 1547. This is stated on his monument
>inscription. His PCC will was dated April 8, 1547, and probated in
>November 1547.
>The will is PCC 49 Alen.
>After the death of Elizabeth Poultney he remarried Isabel Bosworth and had
>one son Faustin Feilding.

><snip>

>William Feilding left a will dated April 8, 1547. PCC 49 Alen. Proved
>November 1547 in PCC.

><snip>
>MichaelAnne

Claud...@aol.com

Jan 28, 2005, 5:30:22 PM1/28/05
Dear Lynn,

I got out my copy of the will and can see where you are getting this from.
The copy I have came from microfilm many years ago and the will above it is from
1544. This would lead me to believe that there is a transcription error in
the copy we both have and this will was dated at least in 1543-4.

Regards,
MichaelAnne

katiel...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2016, 10:08:46 AM1/24/16
Hello,

I'm very interested in the will of Sir Thomas Pulteney from 1509. I know this exchange took place a long time ago (2005?) but I'd be so grateful if someone could let me know the reference for the will if possible please? I've had a look at The National Archives and it's not immediately obvious. Thanks!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Katie Bridger

katiel...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2016, 10:09:39 AM1/24/16
On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 at 9:39:34 PM UTC, Chuck Owens wrote:
Sorry, re my above post, I had meant to write 1507.

Tompkins

Jan 24, 2016, 10:33:04 AM1/24/16
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Hello Katie - perhaps this one:

Reference:PROB 11/15/513
Date: 21 June 1507

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D972917

Matt Tompkins

PS Are you the Charnwood Roots Katie Bridger?

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 10:33:04 AM UTC-5, Tompkins wrote:
> Hello Katie - perhaps this one:
>
> Reference:PROB 11/15/513
> Date: 21 June 1507
>

> http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D972917
>
> Matt Tompkins
>
> PS Are you the Charnwood Roots Katie Bridger?
This will is available on Ancestry.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5111/40611_311114-00395/880914

katiel...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2016, 2:57:30 PM1/25/16
Hello Matt,

Many thanks for that. I hadn't considered an alternative spelling - a silly oversight on my part. Yes, that's me! Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Katie

david....@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 10:17:49 AM5/9/18

mclin...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2019, 3:40:42 PM4/10/19
Thank you all for this information, though I'm still trying to figure out how it relates. Capt. Johann Knox Rucker's grandmother was Elizabeth Maria (Polteney) Fielding born in Bristol, England 1646 yet I have her daughter in my tree as being born in Germany before coming to Virginia. Maybe I got that from another tree but if I'm to believe the family trees I'm finding now then I'd have her father as Moritz of The von der Pfalz (the pirate himself! lol) but no, I keep looking. ;)

Jill Hoffman

Jul 1, 2022, 8:29:26 PM7/1/22
Hi! I'm trying to find information about the father/mother of Sir Thomas Pulteney. The more I read the more confused I get. Does anyone have this information? My head hurts. :>)