The Mongol Dynasties and their intermarriage policies (Onggirat)

Nichol...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2013, 12:46:55 AM4/5/13
Based on the work of Zhao Qingzhi, this is a basic overview of the
marriage alliances between the descendants of Genghis Khan and the
Onggirat tribe, one of their principal marital partners.

Dei Sechen and his wife Chotan were the parents of Borte, wife of
Genghis Khan and the mother of his most important children. They had
sons as well, Anchen, Huohu and Ce, and Borte's nephews would serve as
generals to their Chinggisid cousins.

Wochen son of Anchen was made Brigade Commander in 1238 and married
Yesu-Buhua, daughter of Tolui. After Wochen died, his brother Nachen
took over his position and served under Mongke Khan. Nachen's sons
were Woluochen, Tiemur, and Manzitai, each of whom in succession
married Khubilai's daughter Nangjiazhen. Tiemur's son Diwabula (Diao'a-
bula) married Xianggelaji (daughter of Darmabala, son of Zhenjin, son
of Khubilai) and by her was the father of Buda-shili, empress of
Wenzong. Woluochen's daughter, Shiliandali, married Emperor Chenzong
and had by him a son named Deshou, who died young in 1305.

Anchen's daughter Oki-fujin married her cousin Jochi, son of Genghis
and Borte and Anchen's son Chigu married Tumanlun, sister of Jochi.
Chabui, another daughter of Anchen, was one of the wives of Khubilai
Khan.

Tuolian was a grandson of Anchen and a general of Khubilai Khan. In
1287, he was sent to supress the revolt of Naiyan (a great-great-
grandson of Odchigin, younger brother of Genghis Khan). His daughter
was Tiegulun who married Khubilai Khan; his son was Bengbula.
Bengbula's daughter Zhenge was the empress of Wuzong. Bengbula's son
Maizhuhan was the father of Sugedali and Bihan, empresses of Taiding.
Another son of Bengbula, Boluo Temur, was the father of Buyanhudu,
empress of Mingzong.

Chagatai, son of Genghis and Borte, married his cousins Yesulun and
Togen, daughters of Qata. Their father Qata was the son of Daritai,
and Daritai was the brother of Dei Sechen.

Bronwen Edwards

Apr 5, 2013, 1:58:54 PM4/5/13
Do you know if there are any modern Mongolian scholars working on their medieval genealogy and, if so, whether any of it has been published in English? Your account is interesting. I recall seeing a chart published by (?Wagner) showing a connection through marriage between this dynasty and the Byzantines which reached into central Europe, again through marriages. Does anyone else recall seeing the chart? It may have been in *Pedigree and Progress*. Bronwen

Matt A

Apr 5, 2013, 2:06:14 PM4/5/13
On Friday, April 5, 2013 1:58:54 PM UTC-4, Bronwen Edwards wrote:
> Do you know if there are any modern Mongolian scholars working on their medieval genealogy and, if so, whether any of it has been published in English? Your account is interesting. I recall seeing a chart published by (?Wagner) showing a connection through marriage between this dynasty and the Byzantines which reached into central Europe, again through marriages. Does anyone else recall seeing the chart? It may have been in *Pedigree and Progress*. Bronwen

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2007-03/1173363874

-Matt Ahlgren

Nichol...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2013, 11:08:10 PM4/5/13
Most of Zhao's work is based on Chinese and Mongolian sources. It's
quite interesting, especially as the Mongol elite were every bit as
intermarried as the Habsburgs.

There were also intermarriages with the Russian princes. Gleb
Vasilkovich married a princess of the Golden Horde in 1257 (Vladimir
Chronicle). His wife took the name Theodora, and may have been a
daughter of the Christian-friendly Sartak Khan, himself the son of
Batu Khan.

David Teague

Apr 21, 2013, 10:10:49 PM4/21/13
to Bronwen Edwards, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Hi, Bronwen.

You are correct: the chart you recall is, indeed, in PEDIGREE AND PROGRESS. I forget the chart number, but its title is something like "From the Atlantic to the Pacific" and it shows how there was a chain of marriages that linked the Mongols to Henry III/Eleanor of Provence and St Louis/Marguerite of Provence, among others, in the mid-13th century. I would give you more specifics from a Xeroxed copy I made of it, but it is at home, and I, at the moment, am not.

David Teague

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 10:58:54 -0700
> Subject: Re: The Mongol Dynasties and their intermarriage policies (Onggirat)
> From: lostc...@yahoo.com
> To: gen-me...@rootsweb.com
>
> Do you know if there are any modern Mongolian scholars working on their medieval genealogy and, if so, whether any of it has been published in English? Your account is interesting. I recall seeing a chart published by (?Wagner) showing a connection through marriage between this dynasty and the Byzantines which reached into central Europe, again through marriages. Does anyone else recall seeing the chart? It may have been in *Pedigree and Progress*. Bronwen

norenxaq

Apr 21, 2013, 11:47:35 PM4/21/13
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
David Teague wrote:

>Hi, Bronwen.
>
>You are correct: the chart you recall is, indeed, in PEDIGREE AND PROGRESS. I forget the chart number, but its title is something like "From the Atlantic to the Pacific" and it shows how there was a chain of marriages that linked the Mongols to Henry III/Eleanor of Provence and St Louis/Marguerite of Provence, among others, in the mid-13th century. I would give you more specifics from a Xeroxed copy I made of it, but it is at home, and I, at the moment, am not.
>
>David Teague

it is pedigree 44

>>Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 10:58:54 -0700
>>Subject: Re: The Mongol Dynasties and their intermarriage policies (Onggirat)