John Ogilvy of Powrie Puzzle

Charles Owens

Mar 4, 2023, 3:51:35 PM3/4/23
Here is a puzzle with two parts. I always love a good genealogical puzzle.

1. In a letter from Robert Bowes to Lord Burghley, dated August 14, 1590, Sir Alexander Stewart (of Garlies) was said to be "descended from bishop Alexander Stewart, brother of James IV..." ("James VI: August 1590." Calendar of State Papers, Scotland: Volume 10, 1589-1593. Eds. William K. Boyd, and Henry W. Meikle. Edinburgh: His Majesty's General Register House, 1936. 368-390. British History Online. Web. 4 March 2023. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/scotland/vol10/pp368-390.).

2. In a letter from Robert Bowes to Lord Burghley, dated January 13, 1591, Master John Ogilvy, "the young laird of Pury Ogilvie", was called the "nephew" of Sir Alexander Stewart (of Garlies). Master John Ogilvy apparently wrote letters to Robert Bowes on Sir Alexander Stewart's behalf ("James VI: January 1591." Calendar of State Papers, Scotland: Volume 10, 1589-1593. Eds. William K. Boyd, and Henry W. Meikle. Edinburgh: His Majesty's General Register House, 1936. 445-456. British History Online. Web. 4 March 2023. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/scotland/vol10/pp445-456.).

Regarding the first part, James IV did not have a brother named Alexander who was bishop. He did have a son, Alexander Stewart who became Archbishop of St. Andrews, but the Archbishop did not have any known children. There was also Alexander Stewart, Bishop of Moray, great grandfather of Master John Ogilvy (. Taking a look at Sir Alexander Stewart of Garlies profiles and ancestry (https://genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00042789&tree=LEO) (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Stewart-2016), there doesn't seem to be any descent from Alexander Stewart, Bishop of Moray.

Regarding the second part, it is not apparent how Master John Ogilvy (https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00595742&tree=LEO) could have been the nephew of Sir Alexander Stewart of Garlies.

It seems to me that somehow, someone garbled a memory or an account of John Ogilvy's descent from "bishop Alexander Stewart" and made him to be a nephew of Sir Alexander Stewart of Garlies.

Any thoughts?

Chuck