Birth date and place for Ferdinand III of Castile

Steve Barnhoorn

Dec 9, 2020, 11:47:21 AM12/9/20
Greetings:

According to his biography on Wikipedia, the exact date of Ferdinand III of Castile's birth was unclear. It has been proposed to have been as early as 1199 or even 1198, although more recent researchers commonly date Ferdinand's birth in the summer of 1201.[2][3][4] Ferdinand was born at the Monastery of Valparaíso (Peleas de Arriba, in what is now the Province of Zamora). Sources point to the following: [2][3][4] Francisco Ansón, Fernando III: Rey de Castilla y León (in Spanish). Palabra (1998); Richard K. Emerson, ed.m Key Figures in Medieval Europe: An Encyclopedia. Taylor & Francis (2013); Jaime Alvar Ezquerra, ed. Diccionario de historia de España. Ediciones AKAL (2001).

However, in reviewing these sources, I don’t see anything which specifically points to a birth date or even place of birth. Can anyone shed some more light on which they base their conclusions?

Thanks.

Peter Stewart

Dec 9, 2020, 3:45:05 PM12/9/20
This question was examined carefully by María del Carmen Pescador del
Hoyo in 'Cuándo y dónde nació Fernando III el Santo', *Revista de
archivos, bibliotecas y museos* vol. 73 (1966) pp. 499–553.

Ferdinand was the middle of five children born to his parents - the
eldest was Leonor, born in the second half of 1198, followed by Costanza
in 1199 or (more probably) 1200 and then Fernando in June or perhaps
early July 1201: Alfonso IX and his second wife were together in Toro on
31 May, then he occurs alone in Benavente on St John's day (24 June)
from where he went to rejoin the queen. They occur together again in
Salamanca on 26 July, and by 5 August their son was already baptised as
he is named with them on that date ("cum filio meo Ferdinando").

The Jesuit historian Gonzalo Martínez Díez in his 1993 biography of
Ferdinand placed his birth on 24 June, which is repeated as probable
here http://dbe.rah.es/biografias/10090/fernando-iii. However, this
degree of precision is not warranted.

Peter Stewart

Peter Stewart

Dec 9, 2020, 4:23:12 PM12/9/20
On 10-Dec-20 3:47 AM, Steve Barnhoorn wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> According to his biography on Wikipedia, the exact date of Ferdinand III of Castile's birth was unclear. It has been proposed to have been as early as 1199 or even 1198, although more recent researchers commonly date Ferdinand's birth in the summer of 1201.[2][3][4] Ferdinand was born at the Monastery of Valparaíso (Peleas de Arriba, in what is now the Province of Zamora).

Apologies, I overlooked this before - he was born near but not at at the
monastery, which was moved to his birthplace afterwards. Ferdinand was
called 'montesino' because he was born on the mountain, by the road
between Salamanca and Zamora.

Peter Stewart

Steve Barnhoorn

Dec 9, 2020, 6:21:44 PM12/9/20
No worries, Peter. Since I am only able snippet of the phrase "cum filio meo Ferdinando," I'm very curious as to Gonzalo Martínez Díez's source.

Peter Stewart

Dec 9, 2020, 8:37:53 PM12/9/20
It is a charter of Alfonso IX granting properties in Zamora to Santa
María de Valdediós abbey, dated 5 August 1201, "una cum uxore mea regina
domna Berengaria et cum filio meo Ferdinando".

I don't know of an online version - it is no. 156 on p. 219 in the
edition of Alfonso IX's charters by Julio González (1944).

Peter Stewart

taf

Dec 10, 2020, 12:39:50 AM12/10/20
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 12:45:05 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

> This question was examined carefully by María del Carmen Pescador del
> Hoyo in 'Cuándo y dónde nació Fernando III el Santo', *Revista de
> archivos, bibliotecas y museos* vol. 73 (1966) pp. 499–553.

This can be viewed here:
http://hemerotecadigital.bne.es/issue.vm?id=0000157862&page=10&search=&lang=es
beginning at image 255

taf

Steve Barnhoorn

Dec 10, 2020, 3:32:41 PM12/10/20
Thanks. Wished I could get my hands on Julio Gonzales's Alfonso IX, second volume. Guess that will be another day. For now, I will accept what I have. I appreciate the help.