Teresa de Castille, born 1070

JG

Jun 13, 2004, 4:07:28 PM6/13/04
Who was the mother of Teresa de Castille, who acceded to the throne of
Portugal in 1112 (per Hull database
http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/cgi-bin/gedlkup/n=royal?royal10445). Hull gives
her mother as Agnes de Poitou, but a recent e-mail tells me her mother was
one of Alphonso VI's many mistresses, Teresa de Guzman.

--
Regards

J.H. Garner
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/a/r/J-H-Garner/?Welcome=1086540008
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=labron0

Todd A. Farmerie

Jun 13, 2004, 4:42:09 PM6/13/04
JG wrote:
> Who was the mother of Teresa de Castille, who acceded to the throne of
> Portugal in 1112 (per Hull database
> http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/cgi-bin/gedlkup/n=royal?royal10445). Hull gives
> her mother as Agnes de Poitou, but a recent e-mail tells me her mother was
> one of Alphonso VI's many mistresses, Teresa de Guzman.

Contrary to the confusion seen in modern summaries, the primary
record leaves no doubt as to the maternity of Teresa. She was
daughter of Alfonso VI by Jimena Muñoz, his mistress. Tradition
has suggested that she was Jimena Nuñez de Guzman, but as the
first documented Guzman is of the generation after Jimena, so
this is anachronistic. Two recent studies have suggested
different parentage for her. One makes her daughter of a poorly
documented Munio Muñoz. The other suggests that she was a member
of the family that had been Counts, sister of Count Rodrigo
Muñoz. A later publication harmonizes these, suggesting that
Munio Muñoz was actually brother of Jimena and Rodrigo, although
there are aspects of this reconstruction that are problematic.

taf