Skrymsher of Muskham and North Deighton

Mark Jennings

Mar 10, 2021, 1:28:03 PM3/10/21
The Visitations of Staffordshire (1583, 1614 + 1663-4) contain various pedigrees of the Skrymsher family, largely focusing on the progeny of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury (died circa 1552).

The earlier Visitation has a single pedigree, which runs thus:

(1) - Skrymsher, had issue:

(1)(1) - Skrymsher, eldest son; had issue:

(1)(1)(1) William Skrymsher of Muskham, Notts, and North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:

(1)(1)(1)(a) Maud Skrymsher, daughter and heir, married - Marshall

(1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, 2nd son, married - Swinshed, daughter and heir of - Swinshed of Swineshead; had issue:

(1)(2)(1) John Skrymsher of Norbury, eldest son, married Dorothy Talbot, daughter of Sir John Talbot, knight; left issue

(1)(2)(2) Thomas Skrykmsher of Johnson, Staffs, 2nd son, married - Talbot, daughter of - Talbot; left issue

It is this visitation which accords the family paternal arms quartering the arms of the Muschamp family of Muskham, implying an earlier marriage to an heiress of that family.

The 1663-4 Visitation as published in 1885 has four pedigrees: Skrymsher of Aqualate, Skrymsher of Norbury, Skrymsher of Orslow and Brocton Grange, and Skrymsher of Johnson, which are presented together with the relevant portions of the same pedigrees from the 1614 Visitation (these latter elements are printed in italics). As far as the earlier generations go, they present:

(1) Sir William Skrymsher of North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:

(1)(1) William Skrymsher, 1st son, "died without issue"

(1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, married Mary Swynshead, daughter and heir of William Swynshead of Swineshead; had issue:

(1)(2)(1) John Skrymsher of Norbury, married Dorothy Talbot, daughter of Sir John Talbot of Grafton [note: the 1563-4 Visitation of Yorkshire states she was daughter of John Talbot of Salwarpe, Worcs, son of Sir John Talbot]; left issue

(1)(2)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Jonsson; married - Talbot, daughter of - Talbott

I will aim to go through each of these generations to determine what primary evidence exists to support these pedigrees.

Mark Jennings

Mar 10, 2021, 4:52:53 PM3/10/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 6:28:03 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:

> (1) Sir William Skrymsher of North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:
>
> (1)(1) William Skrymsher, 1st son, "died without issue"
>
> (1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, married Mary Swynshead, daughter and heir of William Swynshead of Swineshead; had issue:
>
> (1)(2)(1) John Skrymsher of Norbury, married Dorothy Talbot, daughter of Sir John Talbot of Grafton [note: the 1563-4 Visitation of Yorkshire states she was daughter of John Talbot of Salwarpe, Worcs, son of Sir John Talbot]; left issue
>
> (1)(2)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Jonsson; married - Talbot, daughter of - Talbott

Thoroton (History of Nottinghamshire, vol 3, sub 'South Muskam' and 'North Muscham') provides some snippets of genealogy, establishing that this family was resident in the district from an early period, and thus likely demolishing the story that they were a branch of the Scottish Scrimgeours:

- he alleges that a Hugh le Skirmessour and Christian his wife were living during the reign of King John (1199-1216)

- according to Chris Phillips's excellent site, a William le Skermissur and Isabel his wife held land at North Muskham in November 1280 (TNA, CP 25/1/183/14, #40)

- William Skrymscher of South Muskham witnessed a deed on 25 February 1412 (Nottinghamshire University Library, MS & Special Collections, Mi 4/138/2)

- Thoroton notes a William Schrimshire of South Muskham who had a (younger ) son Robert married to Agnes White circa 4 Henry VI [1425-6], and whose elder son, also named William made a release of land 3 Edward IV [1463-4]. The elder line apparently remained at South Muskham, while the junior line, descended from Robert and Agnes, held at Batheley in North Muskham - they still held here as late as 1669 in the person of William Skrymsher.

- "There is a piece of a genealogy," writes Thoroton, "which makes one Geffry Scrimsher marry an heir of Muscam, not above five descents above Maud, the heir female married to Henry Marshall (as in South Muskam is noted) but I have seen nothing of authority sufficient to confirm the truth of it"

- a further feet of fine entry from May 1508 shows a Richard Skrymshire acting as feofee in relation to property at South Muskham, South Carleton and Batheley

- Thoroton states that in 17 Henry VIII [1525-6] Richard, Thomas and William (a clerk) Skrymsher were involved in a property transaction in South Muskham and Carleton

- William Skrymsher, esquire, of South Muskham, died on 20 January 4 Mary (1556/7), leaving a daughter and heir Maud "the wife of Henry Marshall"; "he had lands in South Muskam, North Muskam and Carleton" (this IPM is at TNA, C 142/113/44, while it appears his wife Elizabeth's is at E 150/245/1 and C 142/90/97, dated 4 Edward VI - 1550-1)

Mark Jennings

Mar 11, 2021, 5:37:16 AM3/11/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 9:52:53 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:

> - a further feet of fine entry from May 1508 shows a Richard Skrymshire acting as feofee in relation to property at South Muskham, South Carleton and Batheley
>
> - Thoroton states that in 17 Henry VIII [1525-6] Richard, Thomas and William (a clerk) Skrymsher were involved in a property transaction in South Muskham and Carleton
>
> - William Skrymsher, esquire, of South Muskham, died on 20 January 4 Mary (1556/7), leaving a daughter and heir Maud "the wife of Henry Marshall"; "he had lands in South Muskam, North Muskam and Carleton" (this IPM is at TNA, C 142/113/44, while it appears his wife Elizabeth's is at E 150/245/1 and C 142/90/97, dated 4 Edward VI - 1550-1)

It would appear that William Skrymsher (d 1557) was the heir of the senior branch of the family who held at South Muskham. He can be equated with (1)(1)(1) in the pedigree at the top of this thread. His father may be the Richard Skrymshire named in the 1508 and 1525-6 records (and his uncle Thomas may be the man of that name in the 1525-6 transaction). We can safely assume that he inherited the family estate at South Muskham. As the 1583 Visitation avers, he also held North Deighton in Yorkshire - this is presumably the basis for the subsequent (1614) claim that his grandfather also held in the latter place, but this appears to be incorrect. William (d 1557) instead acquired his Yorkshire holdings by virtue of his marriage with Elizabeth Middleton, daughter and heiress of Nicholas Middleton of North Deighton, as made clear in a deed dated 23 January 1536 (West Yorkshire Archives, WYL230/1196). They were married by 28 April 1534 (WYL230/878) when they were dealing with property within the manor of North Deighton, held "in right of Elizabeth".

William is clearly to be identified as "my neve [ie nephew] William Skrymsher" named in the will of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury (TNA, PROB 11/35/66), dated 26 January 1550/1 [not 1551/2 as often stated].

Elizabeth Skrymsher nee Middleton died in 1550-1 [TNA C 142/90/97, E 150/245/1 as cited above] and it seems that her husband William then remarried - his widow Ann was still living in February 1587, when she was dealing with lands in North Deighton ("lately wife of Robert Peacock, late alderman of the city of York and sometime wife of William Skrymsher of North Deighton") [West Yorkshire Archives, WYL230/942]. William - styled "gentleman" as late as July 1554 (WYL230/846) and therefore apparently not in the commission either in Notts or Yorks, but "esquire" by April 1555 (WYL230/848) - died 20 January 1556/7, leaving a daughter and sole heir, Maud Skrymsher (1)(1)(1)(a).

Maud Skrymsher was single as at 20 November 1557, when she enter into a land-swap at North Deighton (WYL230/935), and married to Henry Marshall by January 1558 (WYL230/936), when her husband gave an undertaking to the Court of Wards and Liveries to accept a valuation of the lands his wife had inherited from her father.

Henry Marshall seems to have been a neighbour from South Muskham, Notts - on 1 February 1582, Ralph Marshall, gentleman, son and heir apparent of Henry Marshall of South Carleton in the parish of South Muskham, made a feoffment to his younger brother William Marshall (WYL230/938), and in September 1585 Henry Marshall quitclaimed all his property in North and South Deighton to Ralph his son and heir (WYL230/939). Ralph sold this to the Revd Robert Ramsden on 13 February 1586 for £720, when his step-grandmother "Ann Pecocke lately wife of William Skrimshay" reserved her dower (WYL230/941).

Incidently, the fact that William Skrymsher is styled as "gentleman" before 1555 is strong evidence that his grandfather (?William), whose heir he was, was not a Knight - if that had been the case, he would have been styled "esquire" since the time of his inheriting the family property.

Mark Jennings

Mar 11, 2021, 9:19:49 AM3/11/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 6:28:03 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:
> The Visitations of Staffordshire (1583, 1614 + 1663-4) contain various pedigrees of the Skrymsher family, largely focusing on the progeny of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury (died circa 1552).
>
> The earlier Visitation has a single pedigree, which runs thus:
>
> (1) - Skrymsher, had issue:
>
> (1)(1) - Skrymsher, eldest son; had issue:
>
> (1)(1)(1) William Skrymsher of Muskham, Notts, and North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:
>
> (1)(1)(1)(a) Maud Skrymsher, daughter and heir, married - Marshall
>
> (1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, 2nd son, married - Swinshed, daughter and heir of - Swinshed of Swineshead; had issue:
>
> (1)(2)(1) John Skrymsher of Norbury, eldest son, married Dorothy Talbot, daughter of Sir John Talbot, knight; left issue
>
> (1)(2)(2) Thomas Skrykmsher of Johnson, Staffs, 2nd son, married - Talbot, daughter of - Talbot; left issue

The will of Thomas Skrymsher (1)(2), made at Norbury on 26 January 1550/1, contains the following material of genealogical interest:

I, Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, Staffordshire, esquire, somewhat sick in body - to be buried in the chancel at Norbury - property at Offeley Park to be equally divided between my son Thomas Skrymsher and my daughter Mary Asteley, wife to Anthony Asteley - lands at Upton, Herefordshire to son Thomas, together with the hall at Whixhall, Shropshire - to my son John Skrymsher, my corn at Norbury - half of my cattle to Edward Mitton, Thomas Skrymsher [my son] , their wives and children - 20 marks for my sister Selman's soul as arranged with her husband if she overlive him - to daughter Mary Asteley, the (?) of pearl and gold that was my wife's mother's - my nephew William Skrymsher and my cosen Thomas Moreton - to my godson Thomas Selvester, 40 shillings - to my son Roos's wife, a pair of coral beads gauded with silver which were her mother's - to the wife of Francis Roos, 100 marks for the preferment of their children - to the wife of Edward Mitton, 100 marks for the preferment of their children - to son John Skrymsher, £100 for the preferment of his children - to my daughter Colyer, £20 for the preferment of her little daughter - to my son (sic) Thomas Skrymsher, being John Skrymsher's son, and to Thomas Skrymsher, being son of Thomas Skrymsher of Johnson, either of them, 50 marks - executors: well-beloved in Christ nephew William Skrymsher, cosen Thomas Moreton, James Wolriche and son Thomas Skrymsher - supervisors: Francis Roos (and) John Skrymsher my son, esquires, and the parson of Norbury - witnesses: John Skrymsher, Francis Roos.

Proved at London, 12 February 1551 (ie 1551/2)

Thomas Skrymsher "armiger" was buried at Norbury on 12 September 1551. An IPM followed his death - records at TNA C142/94/63 and E150/1050/3, both dated 5 Edward VI (1551-2)

We see from this will that Thomas was apparently not survived by a wife, since none is named, and that he had the following children:

- John (1)(2)(1) who apparently inherited Norbury and had a son Thomas
- Thomas (1)(2)(2) who was apparently seated at Johnson, and inherited property at Upton, Herefordshire; he had a son Thomas
- Mary, wife of Anthony Astley (as "Mary, late the wife of Anthony Astley of Orslow (in Church Eaton), gentleman, and administratrix of his goods", she was involved in a legal case in circa 1557 (TNA, C 1/1399/59)
- a daughter married to Francis Roos = Elizabeth, so named in their monument within Standon church
- a daughter married to Edward Mitton = (possibly) Agnes, named with her husband Edward Mytton in a Chancery case (TNA, C 3/59/96, 1558-1579)
- a daughter married to - Colyer = Joyce ('Jocosa') Skrymsher, gentlewoman, married Robert Collier, gentleman, at Norbury, 15 January 1542 (PR)

He also refers to a sister (?in law) whose married name was Selman [Richard Selman, esquire, sued Thomas Skrymsher in Chancery, 1538-1544, over "goods and money entrusted to defendant by complainant's wife, his sister-in-law" - TNA, C 1/1060/14-15], and "cosen" Thomas Moreton.

Both the grandsons named in the will were still living in 1583 and are shown in the Visitation of that year, which states that the mother of both John and Thomas was [Mary - 1614 Vis] the daughter and heir of [William - 1614 Vis] Swineshead of Swineshead. It appears however that Thomas (d 1551) married more than once:

- a deed from 1519 (Warwickshire RO, CR 1291/170/1-2) details the dowry arrangements for Agnes, "wife of Thomas Skrymsher and late wife of Humphrey Swynnerton", at Eccleshall and Blymhill, Staffordshire. A chancery case dated to 1518-1529 shows Thomas Skrymsher and Agnes his wife suing one John Cleyton in respect of land at Onneley, Staffordshire (TNA, C 1/575/1). This is presumably Agnes who together with her husband Humphrey Swynnerton is said to have been living at The Hall, Swineshead in 19 Henry VII (1503-4) [Collections for a History of Staffordshire, VII, 1886, p 84]

- a Chancery case from 1554-1551 refers to "Thomas Skrymsher, late the husband of Joan, formerly the wife of Richard Asteley" (TNA, C 1/1184/29-33). Joan ['Jona'], wife of Thomas Skrymsher, 'ar[miger]', was buried at Norbury on 19 May 1541 (PR)

- a similar case from the same time period refers to "Thomas Skrymshere, gentleman, and Margaret his wife", dealing with property at Willingwick, Worcestershire (TNA, C 1/1141/81) - since the defendant is styled "gentleman", this is more likely to refer to Thomas of Norbury's younger son, Thomas (1)(2)(2); Thomas, son of Thomas Skrymsher, gentleman, and Margaret his wife, was buried at Norbury, 9 September 1546 (PR)

We can probably then conclude that Thomas of Norbury married (1) [Mary] Swineshead, (2) circa 1519 Agnes, widow of Humphrey Swynnerton, (3) Joan (d 1541), widow of Richard Astley.

Mark Jennings

Mar 12, 2021, 2:54:02 PM3/12/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 9:52:53 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 6:28:03 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:
> >
> > (1) Sir William Skrymsher of North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:
> >
> > (1)(1) William Skrymsher, 1st son, "died without issue"
> >
> > (1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, married Mary Swynshead, daughter and heir of William Swynshead of Swineshead; had issue:
> >

> - Thoroton states that in 17 Henry VIII [1525-6] Richard, Thomas and William (a clerk) Skrymsher were involved in a property transaction in South Muskham and Carleton

The marriage settlement for Anne, daughter of Thomas Skrymsher (1)(2), and Edward Harpisfield [afterwards Mytton] can be found in the William Salt Library, SD Beck/45, dated 12 June 1530. It names amongst the trustees one Richard Skrymsher.

The parish registers for Norbury, Staffordshire, commence in 1538 and state that the then-Rector had been instituted in 1537 in succession to William Skrymsher.

Mark Jennings

Mar 12, 2021, 5:17:51 PM3/12/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 9:52:53 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:

> > (1) Sir William Skrymsher of North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:
> >
> > (1)(1) William Skrymsher, 1st son, "died without issue"
> >
> > (1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, married Mary Swynshead, daughter and heir of William Swynshead of Swineshead; had issue:
>
> - "There is a piece of a genealogy," writes Thoroton, "which makes one Geffry Scrimsher marry an heir of Muscam, not above five descents above Maud, the heir female married to Henry Marshall (as in South Muskam is noted) but I have seen nothing of authority sufficient to confirm the truth of it"

We can see what is perhaps this "piece of genealogy" in the 1569 Visitation of Nottinghamshire (Harl. Soc. Pub. IV, 1871, p 167), as part of the Marshall pedigree:

A. Geoffrey Scrimshere of North Muschamp in Com Stafford [sic] = daughter and heir of - Muschamp
B. William Scrimshere of Muschamp = Agnes d of Raffe Bingham
C. Thomas Scrimshere - ie (1)
D1. Richard Scrimshere - ie (1)(1)
E. William Scrimshere = Elizabeth d and heir of Nicholas Midleton
F. Maude d and heir = Humfrey [Henrey Harl 1400] Marshall
G1. Raffe Marshall
G2. William Marshall
G3. Henery Marshall
G4. Elizabeth Marshall
D2. Thomas Scrimshere - ie (1)(2)

This is at least consistent with the elder brother of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury being named Richard

Mark Jennings

Mar 14, 2021, 9:14:10 AM3/14/21
Three additional points:

(A) re-reading the 1551 will of Thomas Skrymshire of Norbury, the particular wording relating to his "sister Selman":

"if my son Thomas enjoy the lands in Herefordshire, he shall bestow 12 marks for the weal of my sister Selman’s soul, for if she had lived after her husband Selman, I had promised her the land, for the which I had of her a reward."

I read this to say that "sister Selman" was dead at the time was will was made (January 1550/1), and that during her lifetime he had promised to convey property at Upton, Herefordshire to her if she survived her husband, she having made a payment to him to secure this; presumably she did not outlive her husband, since the transfer did not take place (and perhaps she died without issue, hence the bequest for an obituary). The husband is clearly Richard Selman, esquire, the plaintiff in the Chancery case of 1538-1544 - likely Richard Selman of Ludlow, Salop, JP for Staffordshire [1531 - Letters & Papers Foreign & Domestic, Henry VIII, vol 5 1531-1532], whose will was proved at Richard's Castle, 20 February 1539/40 (Consistory Court, Hereford, 539/65) - and "sister Selman" was the sister of one of Thomas Skrymsher's wives - but we do not know which one.

(B) Speaking of Thomas Skrymsher's wives, there is an additional marriage to account for:

"Marriage settlement, property in counties of Stafford and Salop value 20 m[arks], Thomas Skrymsher and Alice Rouse, widow, daughter of Sir James Grey (20 Hen. VIII [1528])" - Staffordshire Record Office, D(W)1788/P40/B11

While the extract states that the bride was daughter of Sir James Grey, this is presumably an error for Sir Edward Grey, whose will dated 2 February 1528/9 (TNA, Prob 11/23/92, proved 4 May 1529) refers to "my sonne Skrymsher".

It isn't clear whether the groom of 1528 was Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury (d 1551) - married to Agnes Swynnerton in 1518 and to Joan Astley nee Ottley in 1539 - of his second son, Thomas, married to Margaret Talbot by 1546.

(C) A series of connected lawsuits in 1538-44 involve William Selman and his wife Joan and Cassandra the widow of William Hatton of Ludlow against various defendants, including John Corbett and Sybill his wife (formerly wife of Richard Selman, and daughter of John Daunsey W 1531 by his wife Jane Delamere) and Francis Roos and Elizabeth his wife, "niece and heir of Agnes Awbrey". Evidently this connects the Selman and Skrymsher families, since Elizabeth Roos was the daughter of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury. It is odd that Elizabeth should be styled "niece [?granddaughter] and heir" of Agnes Awbrey, who apparently held land at Upper Haywood, Salop, since by all accounts she was the daughter of Thomas Skrymsher's first wife, Mary Swineshead, as were her brother John and Thomas - ie if she had full brothers, she would not normally be described as an heir. Perhaps this indicates that not all of Thomas Skrymsher's children were by Mary Swineshead.

Mark Jennings

Mar 14, 2021, 4:57:07 PM3/14/21
On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 1:14:10 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:

> Three additional points:
>
> (A) re-reading the 1551 will of Thomas Skrymshire of Norbury, the particular wording relating to his "sister Selman":
>
> "if my son Thomas enjoy the lands in Herefordshire, he shall bestow 12 marks for the weal of my sister Selman’s soul, for if she had lived after her husband Selman, I had promised her the land, for the which I had of her a reward."
>
> I read this to say that "sister Selman" was dead at the time was will was made (January 1550/1), and that during her lifetime he had promised to convey property at Upton, Herefordshire to her if she survived her husband, she having made a payment to him to secure this; presumably she did not outlive her husband, since the transfer did not take place (and perhaps she died without issue, hence the bequest for an obituary). The husband is clearly Richard Selman, esquire, the plaintiff in the Chancery case of 1538-1544 - likely Richard Selman of Ludlow, Salop, JP for Staffordshire [1531 - Letters & Papers Foreign & Domestic, Henry VIII, vol 5 1531-1532], whose will was proved at Richard's Castle, 20 February 1539/40 (Consistory Court, Hereford, 539/65) - and "sister Selman" was the sister of one of Thomas Skrymsher's wives - but we do not know which one.
>

> (C) A series of connected lawsuits in 1538-44 involve William Selman and his wife Joan and Cassandra the widow of William Hatton of Ludlow against various defendants, including John Corbett and Sybill his wife (formerly wife of Richard Selman, and daughter of John Daunsey W 1531 by his wife Jane Delamere) and Francis Roos and Elizabeth his wife, "niece and heir of Agnes Awbrey". Evidently this connects the Selman and Skrymsher families, since Elizabeth Roos was the daughter of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury. It is odd that Elizabeth should be styled "niece [?granddaughter] and heir" of Agnes Awbrey, who apparently held land at Upper Haywood, Salop, since by all accounts she was the daughter of Thomas Skrymsher's first wife, Mary Swineshead, as were her brother John and Thomas - ie if she had full brothers, she would not normally be described as an heir. Perhaps this indicates that not all of Thomas Skrymsher's children were by Mary Swineshead.

We can tie these in together. Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury and Richard Selman of Ludlow married sisters. The wife of Richard Selman was named Anne; she was the widow of Ralph Awbrey, chief clerk of the kitchen to Arthur, Prince of Wales:

1. Richard Selman and Anne his wife, late wife of Raffe son of William Awbrey [mistranscribed as Avery] v Nicholas Hyll and Robert Grensmyth, feoffees to uses: disseisin by William son of William [Awbrey] of a messuage and land in Iver, Harlington, Dawley and elsewhere, in Buckinghamshire and Middlesex, and refusal of the defendants to re-enter thereon in the name of the said Anne - 1504-1515 (TNA, C1/362/4)

2. Rawff and William sons of William Awbrey v Richard Awbrey of Hardynton [sic]: money lent by the defendant to William the father: Middlesex - 1502-1503 (TNA, C1/256/39)

3. Monumental inscriptions at Iver, Buckinghamshire (Lipscomb, vol 4, p 526 et seq):

"Pray for the soule of Raufe Awbrey, gent, late cheyffe clerke of the kechyn to prince Arthur, on whose soule Jhu have mercy"

"Of your charity pray for the soules of William [Awbrey] esquire and Elizabeth and Anne his wives, which William departed this life the 3rd day of February Anno ... on whose soules Jesu have mercy, Amen"

4. Buckinghamshire: forcible entry - Edmund Bury, Thomas Lenthall and Thomas Skrymshire v William Awbrey of Iver, gentleman, and Thomas Wheler of Iver, husbandman - 1512 (TNA, CP 40/998)

So Elizabeth Skrymshire, wife of Francis Roos, was the niece [sister's daughter] of Anne/Agnes, wife successively of Ralph Aubrey and Richard Selman, whom we can conclude died without issue. Perhaps both Anne was the sister of Mary Swineshead.

Mark Jennings

Mar 15, 2021, 5:43:11 AM3/15/21
On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:19:49 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 6:28:03 PM UTC, Mark Jennings wrote:
> > The Visitations of Staffordshire (1583, 1614 + 1663-4) contain various pedigrees of the Skrymsher family, largely focusing on the progeny of Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury (died circa 1552).
> >
> > The earlier Visitation has a single pedigree, which runs thus:
> >
> > (1) - Skrymsher, had issue:
> >
> > (1)(1) - Skrymsher, eldest son; had issue:
> >
> > (1)(1)(1) William Skrymsher of Muskham, Notts, and North Deighton, Yorks; had issue:
> >
> > (1)(1)(1)(a) Maud Skrymsher, daughter and heir, married - Marshall
> >
> > (1)(2) Thomas Skrymsher of Norbury, 2nd son, married - Swinshed, daughter and heir of - Swinshed of Swineshead; had issue:
> >
> It appears however that Thomas (d 1551) married more than once:
>
> - a deed from 1519 (Warwickshire RO, CR 1291/170/1-2) details the dowry arrangements for Agnes, "wife of Thomas Skrymsher and late wife of Humphrey Swynnerton", at Eccleshall and Blymhill, Staffordshire. A chancery case dated to 1518-1529 shows Thomas Skrymsher and Agnes his wife suing one John Cleyton in respect of land at Onneley, Staffordshire (TNA, C 1/575/1). This is presumably Agnes who together with her husband Humphrey Swynnerton is said to have been living at The Hall, Swineshead in 19 Henry VII (1503-4) [Collections for a History of Staffordshire, VII, 1886, p 84]
>
> - a Chancery case from 1554-1551 refers to "Thomas Skrymsher, late the husband of Joan, formerly the wife of Richard Asteley" (TNA, C 1/1184/29-33). Joan ['Jona'], wife of Thomas Skrymsher, 'ar[miger]', was buried at Norbury on 19 May 1541 (PR)
>
> - a similar case from the same time period refers to "Thomas Skrymshere, gentleman, and Margaret his wife", dealing with property at Willingwick, Worcestershire (TNA, C 1/1141/81) - since the defendant is styled "gentleman", this is more likely to refer to Thomas of Norbury's younger son, Thomas (1)(2)(2); Thomas, son of Thomas Skrymsher, gentleman, and Margaret his wife, was buried at Norbury, 9 September 1546 (PR)
>
> We can probably then conclude that Thomas of Norbury married (1) [Mary] Swineshead, (2) circa 1519 Agnes, widow of Humphrey Swynnerton, (3) Joan (d 1541), widow of Richard Astley.

We have seen in this and successive posts that Thomas Scrymsher of Norbury (d 1551) had a number of marriages:

1. Mary, daughter and coheir of William Swineshead of Swineshead, Staffordshire
2. (circa 1518) Agnes, widow of Humphrey Swynnerton
3. (circa 1528) Alice, daughter of Sir Edward Grey and widow of - Rouse
4. (by 1539) Joan , daughter of Thomas Ottley and widow of Richard Astley, died May 1541

There was possibly a fifth:

Humphrey Vyse v Thomas Skrymsher, son-in-law of Michael Swynnerton, and others, re messuages and lands, late of John Vyse, deceased, grandfather of complainant, Staffordshire (TNA, C 1/1516/5-6; C 1/1165/67). The latter of these cases is given the date range 22 April 1544 to 15 February 1547 [presumably dated by the Chancellorship of Lord Wriothesley].

We can probably also strengthen the identification of Anne (Agnes), wife of Ralph Aubrey and Richard Selman and aunt of Elizabeth Roos nee Skrymsher, as a sister of Mary Swinehead, by observing that it is less likely (though not impossible) that Agnes Swynnerton should have had a sister with the same name, while the marriage to Alice Grey is too late for her to have been Elizabeth's mother (her eldest son, Peter Roos, was born no later than 1538, based in his age at his father's IPM, but probably earlier looking at the legal record).