Pedigrees from Harleian Manuscripts

ScholarGypsy

Aug 2, 2022, 9:27:51 PM8/2/22
Has anyone obtained any of the these? Are all the originals at the British Library or are some elsewhere? What sort of coverage is there of some or all of them in print?

That's probably enough to be going on with for the moment. I would be grateful for anyone's first hand (or more remote) experience with these materials.

Thank you.

Will Johnson

Aug 3, 2022, 4:24:09 PM8/3/22
A very generic question but see here

"The visitations of Essex by Hawley, 1552; Hervey, 1558; Cooke, 1570; Raven, 1612; and Owen and Lilly, 1634. To which are added Miscellaneous Essex pedigrees from various Harleian manuscripts: and an appendix containing Berry's Essex pedigrees"

So this publication, includes some Harleian manuscripts, for example.

Perhaps you could narrow your question down

ScholarGypsy

Aug 3, 2022, 5:21:57 PM8/3/22
> Perhaps you could narrow your question down

Yes, you're right.

I was thinking primarily of the ones not already
published in the Visitation pedigrees that various societies have
produced. I should have pointed that out.

What I am seeking is advice on both the finding, ordering, and using
copies of these Mss. for research purposes. So questions such as where
people have found them in collections in addition to the British
Library, but not excluding it either, are pertinent here.

Thank you.

Peter Howarth

Aug 4, 2022, 3:24:38 AM8/4/22
There is a catalogue of the Harleian manuscripts in four volumes compiled by Humphrey Wanley in the eighteenth century, for example:
https://archive.org/details/gri_33125008529436
https://archive.org/details/gri_33125008529311
https://archive.org/details/gri_33125008529493
https://archive.org/details/gri_33125008529378

Many of the manuscripts are available in the British Library to anyone with a Reader's Ticket. However, some are too fragile to be handled except by those who can provide references to justify their need to examine them. I find it easiest to telephone the Manuscripts helpdesk to make sure that the ones I want to look at are generally available and to order them in advance.

Peter Howarth

ScholarGypsy

Aug 4, 2022, 8:21:28 PM8/4/22
Thank you Peter. That's most helpful.

I wonder if anyone knows if these rare items in the British Library's collections have been digitised or microfilmed at any point in their history? Perhaps, Peter, you could ask the Mss. helpdesk when next you have occasion to ring them. I am far overseas myself, and have not had a Reader's ticket since 1986 when I had academic privileges.