Chamberlain of Buckinghamshire & Northamptonshire

RBodine996

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
For the benefit of those descended from the family of Chamberlain, of North
Reston, Lincolnshire and Petsoe, Buckinghamshire, as well as estates in other
counties, what follows is my analysis of this family from all sources available
to me. An account of the related family of Gatesden, of Gatesden, Bedfordshire
will follow. Any discussion is welcome.

GENERATION 1

01. Sir WILLIAM CHAMBERLAIN, of North Reston, Lincolnshire. Before 1274, John
Lindsey conveyed Petsoe Manor, Buckinghamshire to him in exchange for other
lands. On 11 Oct 1274, as William Chamberlain, Lord of Petsoe, he presented to
Petsoe St. James and did so again in June 1275 (Liscomb's Bucks, 4: 136). On 4
April 1280, William le Chaunbrelayn and Joan, his wife, acknowledge a tresspass
(Cal. Close Rolls, 1279-88: 47). He was dead by 1284 when his widow, Joan, was
holding Petsoe (Feudal Aids, 1: 82 wherein she is erroneously called
'Johannes.').
Married by 4 Apr 1280 to JOAN. She is called Joan Chamberlain in 1302
(Feudal Aids, 1: 104) and 1304 (VCH Bucks, 4: 340 citing De Banco Roll 151, m.
208), but before 1310 she married Saer de Raundes (ibid, 183, m. 81d), with
whom she was a defendant in an action brought by Simon Lindsey to recover
Petsoe. On 17 Nov 1312, as Joan, relict of Sir William Chamberlain, Kt., she
presented to Petsoe St. James (Liscomb's Bucks, 4: 136). In 1313, Joan, again
a widow, produced a charter and Lindsey renounced all of his rights (ibid, 201,
m. 32). In 1313 she was holding 1/2 knight's fee in Petteshoo (CIPM, 5: no.
412, p. 233 IPM of John le Hastings, Buckinghamshire, taken 11 Aug 1313). That
year, Joan then settled Petsoe on herself for life, with reversion to Robert,
son of her first husband William Chamberlain, and his heirs (VCH Bucks, 4: 340
citing Bucks FF, case 18, file 65, no. 14). She was returned lady of the manor
in 1316 (Feudal Aids, 1: 110). In 1323, she and Robert obtained license to
make, with Richard Chamberlain, a fresh settlement of Petsoe (VCH Bucks, 4: 340
citing De Banco Roll 252, m. 151), which took place the following year whereby
contingent remainder was assigned to Richard, infant son of John Chamberlain,
and Margaret his wife (VCH Bucks, 4: 340 citing Bucks FF, case 19, file 75, no.
18 and Cal. Pat. Rolls 1324-7, p. 2).
Children:

2. Sir Robert Chamberlain.
3. ? Richard Chamberlain, m. Joan de Gatesden.

GENERATION 2

2. Sir ROBERT CHAMBERLAIN. In possession of Petsoe Manor in 1331 (CIPM, 7:
no. 381) and 1346 (Feudal Aids, 1: 130). On 7 Feb 1347 he presented to Petsoe
St. James (Liscomb's Bucks, 4: 136) and in 1348 was holding both Petsoe and
Emberton (CIPM, 9: no. 47). On 4 Aug 1370, Sir Robert Chamberlain again
presented to Petsoe St. James (Liscomb's Bucks, 4: 136), but apparently soon
died without issue, as in 1375 Richard Chamberlain held Petsoe of John de
Hastings, Earl of Pembroke (Cal. Close Rolls, 1374-77: 191, 192).

3. RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN. His relationship to the foregoing is unstated, yet
his heirs came into possession of all the Chamberlain lands. He may have been
a brother to Sir Robert Chamberlain, but just as well could be a nephew of
William Chamberlain. He was married in 1285 to JOAN de GATESDEN (born 20 Dec
1268), daughter and sole heiress of John de Gatesden, Lord of Stanbridge,
Bedfordshire; Cotes Bidun, Northamptonshire; and Gatesden, Hertfordshire. In
Gatesden's 1291 IPM Joan is named as his heir, aged 23 on the eve of St. Thomas
the Apostle, 20 Edw. I, and has been married 6 years and more to Richard
Chamberleyn (CIPM, 3: no. 20). As a result of this marriage, the aforesaid
manors came into possession of the Chamberlain family. Richard Chamberlain is
returned as holding Gatesden in 1303 (Feudal Aids, 2: 425) and 1314-1315 (Cal.
Close Rolls, 1313-18: 117, 155). From 1310 to 1318 he and wife Joan were
involved in lawsuits over Lathbury Manor, Buckinghamshire with Lavendon Abbey,
the suit which continued with their son John (VCH, Bucks, 4: 375 citing
numerous De Banco Rolls). In 1314, he and Joan settled Stanbridge on their son
John and his wife Joan (Cal. Patent Rolls, 1313-17: 115; Feudal Aids, 1: 21).
On 10 Sept 1314 he was holding 1/40th knight's fee in Wylewenecotes,
Northamptonshire (IPM of Gilbert de Clare, CIPM, 5: no. 538, p. 344). Knight
of the Shire for Northampton in 1320. In 1324, they settled Gatesden upon John
Chamberleyn and his wife Aubrey (VCH, Herts, 2: 203 citing Herts FF 17 Edw. II,
no. 371). On 6 March 1324, Richard le Chaumberleyn, Kt. and John, his son,
acknowledge a default of payment on their lands in Northants (Cal. Close Rolls,
1323-7: 159).
Children:
4. John Chamberlain, m. 1) Joan de Morteyn, 2) Aubrey.
5. Mable Chamberlain, m. Sir Ralf de Raynes.

GENERATION 3

4. JOHN CHAMBERLAIN. Born 1290/1, being aged 42 when he gave evidence on 24
May 1333 to the proof of age of Richard, son of Simon Darches at Buckingham
(CIPM, 7: no. 538). He continued the suit of his parents against Lavendon
Abbey, but judgment was rendered against him in 1321 (VCH, Bucks 4: 375).
Married 1stly, by 1314, to JOAN de MORTEYN, when his parents settled
Stanbridge Manor on him and Joan.
Married 2ndly, by 1324, to Aubrey, when John Chamberlain's parents settled
Gatesden Manor on him and his wife AUBREY. That year, 1324, he settled
Stanbridge on his son Richard and Richard's wife Margaret (Cal. Patent Rolls,
1324-7: 2). In 1353, his widow Aubrey, now married to Sir John de Gattesden,
was holding one third dower in Stanbridge Manor, of Richard Chamberlain's
inheritance (Cal. Close Rolls, 1349-54: 622).
Children:

6. Richard Chamberlain, m. 1) Margaret, 2) Katherine de la Dale,
3) Joan Reynes
7. Thomas Chamberlain.
8. John Chamberlain, m. Katherine.

5. MABLE CHAMBERLAIN. Second wife of Sir RALF de RAYNES, of Clifton Reynes,
Bucks, who was holding Clifton Reynes in 1302-3, but seems to have died before
1310 when Sir Roger Tyringham had custody of his son and heir (by Mable),
Thomas. Two wooden figures in Emberton Church may commemorate Ralf and Mable
(VCH, Bucks, 4: 317, 322). Thereon he quarters the arms of Green and Drayton
(being his 1st wife's family) and those of Chamberlain (Liscomb's Bucks, 4:
103).

GENERATION 4

6. Sir RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN. Born 1315. In 1324, his father settled
Stanbridge on him and his wife Margaret (Cal. Patent Rolls, 1324-7: 2). On 15
Aug 1327, it was ordered that Stanbridge be delivered to Richard, son of John
Chamberlain, and his wife MARGARET (Cal. Close Rolls, 1327-30: 157). By 1346,
Richard Chamberlain was married 2ndly to KATHERINE de la DALE, daughter of Sir
Thomas de Berkeley (by his wife Margery), of Wolaston, Northants in whose IPM
of 9 March 1346 Katherine, age 36 is named as his next heir to Wolaston, held
by 2 knight's fees of the Earl of Lancaster (CIPM, 8: no. 630). The foregoing
is repeated in Cal. Close Rolls, 1346-9: 215 whereon 17 May 1347 Katharine's
age is however given as 30. In 1350, Richard Chambreleyn, Kt., was holding 2
knight's fees in Cotes, Neweton, Schelton, Raundes, Philegrave and Lathebury,
counties Northampton and Bedford, of Thomas Wake, in Wake's IPM (CIPM, 9, p.
209). In 1353, he was holding 2 knight's fees in Cotes, Neuton, Filgrave and
Lathebury of John, Earl of Kent in his IPM (CIPM, 10: no. 46). In 1353, Sir
Richard Chamberlain did an enrollment of release to his brother Thomas of two
thirds of Stanbridge Manor, together with one third that was held in dower by
Aubrey, wife of John de Gatesden (his step-mother) (Cal. Close Rolls, 1349-54:
622). In 1353, John Denford quit-claimed all his right in Denford Manor,
Huxloe Hundred, Northants to Sir Richard Chamberlain, who also obtained the 3rd
part, which Elizabeth, the wife of Ralph Beauchamp, held in dower (VCH,
Northants, 3: 193 citing Northants Feet of Fines). As Richard Chamberlain,
Kt., witness to a grant of 3 Nov 1359, by Thomas Basoun, of Wodeford to Adam
Fraunceys and John Pyel of a yearly rent to be received of his lands in
Wodeford, Thrappeston and Denford, Northants (Cal. Close Rolls, 1354-60: 659).
In 1372, he was holding 1/16th knight fee in Wylwencotes, Northants of Ralph,
Earl of Stafford in his IPM (CIPM, 13: no. 210). In 1375, he inherited
Tilsworth Manor, Bedfordshire upon the death of his cousin John Morteyn without
issue, in whose IPM Richard Chamburleyn, knight, aged 60 and more, is called
the son of Joan, sister of his father John de Morteyn (CIPM, 15: no. 398).
Richard in turn granted John's widow, Elizabeth, a monetary dower for life out
of Tilsworth Manor (CIPM, 17: no. 777 of his son Richard). In 1375, he was
holding 1/2 knight's fee in Pettesho of John de Hastings, Earl of Pembroke, in
his IPM (CIPM, 14: no. 148). In 1379, he settled some Bedfordshire estates
upon his son Richard and Richard's wife Margaret (Cal. Patent Rolls, 1377-81:
396). His will of 14 Sep 1391 was proved 2 Nov 1391 (Gibbons, Early Lincoln
Wills, p. 40). Richard Chamberlain was married 3rdly, to JOAN REYNES. In 1396
she was holding North Reston, Lincolnshire and Denford, Northamptonshire in
dower for life (CIPM, 20: no. 778 and 781, of Richard Chamberlain, no. 5). She
died 20 Sept 1409 (CIPM, 20: no. 57).
Children:

9. Richard Chamberlain, m. Margaret Lovayne.
10. John Chamberlain, of Hopton, Derbyshire. Married to Alice
Bensted.
(Visitation of Oxfordshire, Harleian Society, 5: 235)
11. Thomas Chamberlain, of Denford, Northamptonshire.
Married to Katherina Kingston and left issue.
(Visitation of Oxfordshire)
12. Edward Chamberlain. Named in the Visitation of Oxfordshire.
13. Elizabeth Chamberlain. A nun at Chikesond in 1391,
being then named in the will of her father.

7. THOMAS CHAMBERLAIN. In 1353, his brother Sir Richard owing him a
considerable sum of money mortgaged to him two-thirds of Stanbridge with the
reversion of that third which his father's widow Aubrey, then the wife of Sir
John Gatesden, held in dower. The mortgage was afterwards redeemed (Cal.
Close Rolls, 1349-54: 622).

8. JOHN CHAMBERLAIN. As John Chaunburleyn, he and Richard Chaunburleyn, kt.
witnessed a quitclaim on 24 Oct 1363 (Cal. Close Rolls, 1360-4, p. 548). In
1366, as John Chamberlain of Emberton, he was pardoned for murder (Cal. Patent
Rolls, 1364-7, p. 328). In 1369, as John son of John Chamberleyn of Great
Gatesden, he conveyed the reversion of Gatesden Manor (held by Richard &
Joan Chamberlain in 1324) to John Courteys of Wymington, having already granted
the manor to Alan Contestre for life and one year beyond, for a rent of 6 marks
per year (Cal. Close Rolls, 1369-74, p. 74). In 1373, John Chamberlain and
wife Katherine, who seems to have held some right in Denford Manor, Northants,
quitclaimed it to Sir Richard Chamberlain (VCH, Northamptonshire, 3: 193 citing
Northants Feet of Fines). On 8 May 1373, John Chamberleyn of Emberton wrote to
John Parkere of Olneye giving to him the first vacancy of Emberton Church and
granting that he may opresent whom he will (Cal. Close Rolls, 1369-74, p. 566).
Thereupon, in 1373, the King sued John Chamberlain of Emberton,
Buckinghamshire for the next presentation to the Church of Emberton. The given
ancestry of Katherine is daughter of John, son of Robert, son of Robert de
Tolthorp (Ped. from the Plea Rolls, p. 110).

GENERATION 5

9. RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN. Died 24 Aug 1396 and at his death held the following
manors: Bucks: Ekeney and Petsoe; Bedford: Stanbridge and Tillsworth;
Lincoln: North Reston; Northants: Wilwencotes, Denford and Mill Cotes (CIPM,
17: nos. 776-779). In his IPM it states he was holding the Bucks and Bedford
manors, by gift of Richard Chamberlain, Kt., his father.
He was married by 1379 to MARGARET LOVAYNE, when his father granted
certain Bedfordshire estates to him and his wife Margaret (Cal. Patent Rolls,
1377-81: 396). Margaret was the sister and heiress of Sir Nicholas Lovayne, of
Burston, co. Surrey (Visitation of Oxfordshire 1566 and 1574, Harleian Society,
5: 235). She married 2ndly, Philip St. Clair (Seyntclere) and died 18 April
1408 (CIPM, 19: nos. 382-384 and 20: nos. 58-62).
Children:

14. Richard Chamberlain, m. Margaret Knyvet.
15. William Chamberlain. s.p. Named in the Visitation of
Oxfordshire.
16. Thomas Chamberlain. s.p. Named in the Visitation of
Oxfordshire.
17. Elizabeth Chamberlain. Named in the Visitation of Oxfordshire.

GENERATION 6

14. RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN. Born 1390-1, being aged 5 and 6 in the IPM of his
father, 16 in the 1408 IPM of his mother and 22 in the July 1413 IPM of his
mother. He died 1439 (IPM 5 Hen. V no. 41 and 17 Hen. VI no. 31). His
marriage was granted on 28 Nov 1398 to the King's nephew, Thomas, Duke of
Surrey (Cal. Patent Rolls, 1396-8: 456).
He married MARGARET KNYVET (Colkert, English Ancestry, p. 41, 54).
Margaret, born c1412, and daughter of Sir John Knyvet, of Southwick,
Northamptonshire and Mendlesham, co. Suffolk, by his wife Elizabeth Clifton,
afterwards married William Gedney and in 1451 sued the trustees of her first
husband for her dower in Petsoe (VCH, Bucks, 4: 340). She died 1458 (IPM, 36
Hen. VI no. 14).
Children:

18. Richard Chamberlain. See Following.
19 William Chamberlain. Born 1436, died 1476/7. Married Joan
Lydeard.

Note: See Craig, F. N., "Chamberlains in the Marbury Ancestry," New England
Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. 138 (1984), p. 317-320, for a
detailed analysis of the confusion and clarification surrounding the brothers
Richard and William Chamberlain (nos. 18 and 19).

GENERATION 7

18. RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN. Died 28 Aug 1496. His will of 18 Aug 1496 was
proved 19 Oct 1496 and directed his burial in Sherbourne Church. Married
before 1484 to SYBIL FOWLER. (CIPM, Henry VII, 1: nos. 1147, 1155, 1237-1239;
PCC Wills: 7 Horne)

Ronny Bodine
Rbodi...@aol.com

Francisco Antonio Doria

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
>01. Sir WILLIAM CHAMBERLAIN, of North Reston, Lincolnshire. Before 1274,
>John
>Lindsey conveyed Petsoe Manor, Buckinghamshire to him in exchange for other
>lands. On 11 Oct 1274, as William Chamberlain, Lord of Petsoe, he
>presented to
>Petsoe St. James and did so again in June 1275 (Liscomb's Bucks, 4: 136).
>On 4
>April 1280, William le Chaunbrelayn and Joan, his wife, acknowledge a
>tresspass
>(Cal. Close Rolls, 1279-88: 47). He was dead by 1284 when his widow,
>Joan, was
>holding Petsoe (Feudal Aids, 1: 82 wherein she is erroneously called
>'Johannes.').
> Married by 4 Apr 1280 to JOAN. She is called Joan Chamberlain in 1302
>(Feudal Aids, 1: 104)

I envy you, and wonder about the manifold ways of keeping official registers. I have no such detail neither in my Italian ancestry (see Litta's tables on the Acciaioli, or the more recent, very well documented, Raveggi et al, _Ghibellini, Guelfi e Popolo Grasso_) nor in my Portuguese lines. For the scarcity of documents on major Portuguese families, take a look at Braancam Freire's discussion of the descent from Martim Afonso Chichorro, bastard of King Afonso III, and ancestor of the Sousa do Prado family. (There was a confusion in two of the early generations of that family, only settled in this century, in the late '60s - and that without explicit documents, just with indirect references.)

Lucky you! Best,

Chico Doria

PS: For more of such problems see my recent discussion on the Vasconcellos with Eduardo de Vasconcellos.

Francisco Antonio Doria
Prix Caumont-La Force 1995
(Conféderation Internationale de Généalogie et d'Héraldique.)
fad...@rio.com.br
http://www.rio-v.com/costadoria
Tels.: 021-547-5541/024-231-4133/021-9943-6968
All material posted is copyrighted. Please refer to the author to quote it.