Prather : looking for info

Draco52079

May 16, 2001, 2:14:32 AM5/16/01
I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around Wiltshire
England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.

The...@aol.com

May 16, 2001, 6:42:58 AM5/16/01
Wednesday, 16 May, 2001

Hello 'Draco',

As a fellow Prather (Prater) descendant, I can steer you first to the
secondary sources you would want to consult, before moving on to what primary
source I am acquainted with.

First, I would recommend Praters in Wiltshire, 1480-1670 by John
William Prather, Jr. (1987). He has extended the ancestry of Thomas Prater,
the emigrant (b. 1604) 4 generations, and has also included some helpful
details about the wives of the Praters of Latton, co. Wilts and of West
Kingston, co. Wilts.

Following that, finding what record you can in the Visitation of
Wiltshire (I think the 1565 Visitation is in the Harleian series) would be a
good 'next' step.

As you may be aware, the relationship of Thomas Prater, the emigrant and
Jonathan Prather, who migrated to Maryland and is the ancestor of all the
Praters/Prathers I know of (including my own line), is taken as probable be
not proven.

Let me know of any information you may be searching for (I have the
information from Prather's book). Also if you would post any 'finds' you
should document to this list, it would be greatly appreciated by myself and
the other Prather descendants in the group.

Good luck, and good hunting.

John

Robert O'Connor

May 16, 2001, 1:29:09 PM5/16/01

> I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around
Wiltshire
> England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.

From my genealogy I have the following:

JOHN ASHFIELD, of Heythrope & Dean in Spilsbury, Co. Oxford., Born c. 1481.
Mentioned in his father's will, 25 March 1506. M before 1500/1 Eleanor
(Will dated 12 Feb. 1542/3. Will Proved at Co. Oxford, 28 April 1544), d.
of Humphrey Seymour, Esq., of Even Swindon, Co. Wilts., & his wife
Elizabeth, d. of Thomas Wynslow, Esq., M.P., of Burton, Co. Oxford (See
SEYMOUR). Died 1521. Bur Heythrope Church. M.I. (brass). Will Proved at
P.C.C., 1521. He had issue:

HSP Oxf, p 171; ECP IV, p 2; VCH Oxon XI, p 134; Will PCC

Humphrey Ashfield, of Heythorpe., Mentioned in his mother's will, 12 Feb.
1542/3, & in the will of his brother William, 26 Oct. 1549. He was
appointed one of the overseers of the will of his brother-in-law, Richard
Pauncefote, 20 Oct. 1558. M Anne, d. of Edward Conway, Esq., of Arrow, Co.
Warw. Sheriff of Co. Oxford., 1568. Died 1569. Will Proved at Oxford,
1569. He had issue: Mother's will

HSP Oxf, p 168; Peters, p 97

Margaret Ashfield, Born 1541. M 1561 Richard Prather, Esq., of Eton, Co.
Berks. (Will dated 6 Dec. 1577. Died 1580. Will Proved at P.C.C., 1580).
Bur. 13 Feb. 1628 at Nunney. She had issue:

HSP Wilts, pp 46-7

1.George Prather., Born 1562. M Mary, d. of Richard Fitz James, Esq. Will
dated 10 April 1621. Died 25 Sept. 1621. Will Proved at P.C.C., 1621. He
had issue:
1a.Richard Prather.
2a.Eleanor Prather.
3a.Francis Prather.
4a.George Prather.
5a.Margaret Prather, M Robert Leversege, Esq.
2.Grace Prather, Born 1564.
3.Jane Prather, Born 1571.
4.Humphrey Prather.
5.Richard Prather.
6.Thomas Prather.
7.William Prather.
8.Nicholas Prather.
9.Edward Prather.

Let me know if this assists as I have much more that I can share with you on
the Ashfields and their ancestors.

Robert O'Connor

Robert E. Bowman

May 16, 2001, 2:37:27 PM5/16/01
I read a posting somewhere which, alas, I did not saave that said Nat
Taylor (with perhaps someone else) had disproved the English ancestry of
the immigrant to America---in other words it is not known.

Hopefully, Nat will comment on this further in this forum (speaking as
another Prather descendant)

Robert Bowman

Benjamin Hertzel

May 20, 2001, 11:07:49 PM5/20/01
Draco (?)

>I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around
>Wiltshire
>England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.

My great-great grandmother was Catherine Prater. Perhaps I can help.

Your earliest research year is 1604, is that a reference to the family of
Thomas Prather (born December 26, 1606) in Eaton Water, Wiltshire, England?
Thomas married Mary (probably Mary POWELL) and died in Virginia in 1666.
His parents were Thomas Prather (1578 - 1628) and Margaret, the daughter of
Henry and Alice Quintyne.

Thomas' father, Thomas (husband of Margaret Quintyne) was the son of
Anthony Thomas Prather (1545 - 1593) and Judith (1550 - 1578), the daughter
of Thomas and Elizabeth Ivey.

Anthony Thomas Prather was the son of George Prather (1516 - 1564) and
Jane, the daughter of Richard and Alice Plott.

George Prather was the son of John Prather (1492 - 1547) and Elene Kingston.

There is speculation that John Prather was the son of William Prather and
Alice Carew, but the Carew connection has not been proven.

Benjamin

Nat Taylor

May 21, 2001, 8:25:24 AM5/21/01
In article <l0313030fb72df1afde76@[209.163.21.107]>, ja...@millcomm.com
(Benjamin Hertzel) wrote:

>>I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around
>>Wiltshire England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.
>

>Your earliest research year is 1604, is that a reference to the family of
>Thomas Prather (born December 26, 1606) in Eaton Water, Wiltshire, England?
>Thomas married Mary (probably Mary POWELL) and died in Virginia in 1666.
>His parents were Thomas Prather (1578 - 1628) and Margaret, the daughter of
>Henry and Alice Quintyne.

In fact, this is speculation: that Thomas Prather, of Virginia, was son of
the above couple of Eaton Water, Wilts. Maryland descendants of this
alleged gateway ancestor should also be aware that it is just speculation
that Jonathan Prather of Maryland may be the son of the Virginian Thomas
Prather. The Prater book, previously mentioned in this thread, is useful
on this question, but does not sufficiently emphasize that the link across
the water is supposition.

Nat Taylor

Draco52079

May 21, 2001, 1:26:08 PM5/21/01
would you happen to have any other dates on Richard Prather who married
Margaret Ashfield?

Aashika

Feb 13, 2024, 3:25:32 PMFeb 13
On Wednesday 16 May 2001 at 07:14:32 UTC+1, Draco52079 wrote:
> I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around Wiltshire
> England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.
hi!
This is a reach, but I am looking the the book Praters in wiltshire 1480-1670. Do you know where I can buy it from?

Aashika

Feb 13, 2024, 3:26:59 PMFeb 13
Hi John!
I would love to purchase the book. Would you be selling it or know of anyone who is?
Thanks!

taf

Feb 13, 2024, 6:29:53 PMFeb 13
I doubt you can buy it at this point - it is almost 40 years old, out of
print, and my guess would be it had a very small print run to begin
with. Checking 'the usual suspects' returned no available copies. That
means you are left with waiting for a pre-owned copy to reenter the
market, which amounts to periodically doing a Google search and hoping
you get lucky, or posting to Prather message boards hoping to find an
owner willing to part with their copy for the right price.

taf

Jan Wolfe

Feb 14, 2024, 2:12:30 PMFeb 14
World Cat indicates that more than 40 libraries have copies of at least
one of the two volumes of this book. Perhaps you can borrow it via
interlibrary loan.