Sir Richard Sapcote - died 1477 (father of Sir John Sapcote husband of Elizabeth Dinham)

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 19, 2017, 3:29:15 AM3/19/17
Looking back in the forum archives, within the thread, Ancestry of Sir Richard Page (d. 1549) (linked below) Brad Verity, John Higgins and others shared what appears to be very relevant information pertaining to the ancestry of Henry Sapcote. John Higgins pointed out that the Sapcote pedigrees in the visitation and those in Maddison's Lincolnshire cannot be trusted, and referred attention to Plantagenet Harrison's History of Yorkshire. Within the thread it seems to be convincingly established that the father of Sir John Sapcote of Elton who was married to Elizabeth Dinham was Sir Richard Sapcote who was buried in Fotheringhay in 1477.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/soc.genealogy.medieval/Ancestry$20of$20Sir$20Richard$20Page$20(d.$201549)%7Csort:relevance/soc.genealogy.medieval/YaV0DDWgKIM/sQo5cYpS8BEJ

Plantagenet Harrison's History of Yorkshire (linked below starting at page 278 of the pdf) indicates that Richard Sapcote was married to Isabel Plessington whose IPM taken at York Castle 4th November, 10 Hen. VII, referred to in the text indicates that she was the late wife of John Francis.

https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE4784752

A portion of the IPM is found within Lincolnshire Notes and Queries, Volume 3 (linked below). Within the IPM it outlines that Isabel Plessington had three heirs resulting from her marriage with John Francis. Joan who married William Nevill of Rolleston and was said to be of the age of 50 years, Alice wife of William Staveley of Bygnall, said to be of the age of 40 years, and Joan, wife of Thomas Sapcote of Burley, said to be of the age of 35 years, and more. The age of Isabel’s eldest daughter Joan places her marriage to John Francis 1443 or earlier, which indicates that she born prior to 1430.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=6Mo4AQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA218&ots=QHUbKd50Kj&dq=burley%20%22richard%20sapcote%22&pg=PA218#v=onepage&q=burley%20%22richard%20sapcote%22&f=false

John Francis appears to have died in 1464, and a Calendar of Closed Rolls entry (copied and linked below indicates that Isabel Plessington and Richard Sapcote were married by 08 Nov 1465. Taking this into account it seems apparent that Richard Sapcote was married prior to his marriage to Isabel Plessington, because his son John Sapcote who married Elizabeth Dinham was born prior to that time.

Calendar of the close rolls preserved in the Public Record Office ... Edward IV. A.D. 1461-1468.

5 EDWARD IV. (Page 295 of the link below)

MEMBRANE 5.*

1465 Nov. 8. Westminster

To the escheator in Derbyshire. Order to give Richard Sapcote knight and Isabel his wife livery of a messuage, 40 acres of land and 10 acres of meadow in Hasilwode, four messuages, 50 acres of land and 10 acres of meadow in Osmanston, a toft, 6 acres of land and 2 acres of meadow in Normanton, and 20/. of rent in Cotton; as it is found by inquisition, taken before John Neville esquire late escheator, that Jobn Franceys knight was seised of the premises, and granted the same to Henry Pole, Ralph Pole, John Curson, John Stathum, Thomas Bradfeld and Roger Foljambe, their heirs and assigns, that the rest died, and the said Henry overlived them and was thereof seised by survivorship, that he made a grant of the same to the said John Franceys and Isabel his wife and to the heirs of their bodies, with remainder to the right heirs of John Franceys, that they had issue three daughters, namely Joan the elder, Alice and Joan the younger, that John Fraunceys died, and Isabel overlived him and is seised of the premises by survivorship, that she has taken Richard Sapcote to be her husband, and is now under his coverture, and that the premises are held of the king as of his castle or lordship of Melburne co. Leicester, which is parcel of the duchy of Lancaster ; and the king has taken the fealty of Richard Sapcote and Isabel.

https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE186234

The question is who was the wife of Sir Richard Sapcote (father of John Sapcote who married Elizabeth Dinham, and _____ Sapcote who was father to Henry Sapcote)?

I think I may have found a couple of clues.
The first in:
'Parishes: Elton', in A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 3, ed. William Page, Granville Proby and S Inskip Ladds (London, 1936), pp. 154-166. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/hunts/vol3/pp154-166 [accessed 19 March 2017].

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/hunts/vol3/pp154-166

where the excerpt reads:

“From 1414 to 1425 the tenant was Oliver de Woderove (fn. 120) and from 1429 to 1447 William Wolston. (fn. 121) In 1451 Richard Sapcote was the tenant, (fn. 122) and at this time the holding seems to have been known as the Hall Fee or Hall Place. (fn. 123) The Wolstons bore for their arms argent, three turnstiles (orreels) sable, (fn. 124) and these were the arms of Sir Richard's wife, although the heraldry does not represent her as an heiress; (fn. 125) she was Isabel, the widow of Sir John Frauncis, of Burley, Rutland, (fn. 126) and died in 1493. (fn. 127) As Sir Richard Sapcote, he was holding in 1473, (fn. 128) and is said to have died in 1477. (fn. 129) In 1495, when his son, Sir John Sapcote, was the tenant, the Hall Fee was first described as a manor. (fn. 130) To his wife, Elizabeth, sister and co-heir of John, Lord Dinham, (fn. 131) he left his manor and other property in Elton, for her life, with remainder to his son Richard, vesting it in trustees. (fn. 132) At his death in 1501, Richard was a minor, betrothed to Alice or Anne, daughter of Sir Nicholas Vaux. (fn. 133) He afterwards married Christian, daughter of Sir John Hungerford, who survived him. (fn. 134) He died in 1542, directing in his will that he should be buried at Fotheringhay College, near to his grandfather, Sir Richard Sapcote.”

To me it seems there is an error in the identification of the arms of Richard Sapcote’s wife as being those of Isabel Plessington (widow of John Francis), but I am guessing that they belong to Richard Sapcote’s first wife who according to this could be a daughter of William Wolston.

The Visitation of the County of Huntingdon has an image of the arms of Richard Sapcote along with his wife’s are displayed at the bottom of page 14. Below the Sapcote pedigree on page 12 there are a couple of pages of arms for the family.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=AS1TAAAAcAAJ&dq=the%20visitation%20of%20the%20county%20of%20huntingdon%20%20sapcote&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q=the%20visitation%20of%20the%20county%20of%20huntingdon%20%20sapcote&f=false

The next clue is found in Feet of Fines: CP 25/1/294/79, number 46 located at:

http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_294_79.shtml#46

The most relevant portion reads:

“And after that term the same manors, tenements and advowsons shall remain to the aforesaid John Sapcote and Elizabeth, his wife, and the heirs of the body of John, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of such heirs, successive remainders (1) to Guy Sapcote and the heirs of his body, (2) to Thomas Sapcote and the heirs of his body, (3) to Richard Sapcote, son of John Sapcote of Keton' in the county of Rutland, and the heirs of his body, (4) to the heirs of the body of William Woulston', late of Ayleton', esquire, and (5) to the right heirs of Richard Sapcote, knight, the father of the aforesaid John Sapcote, knight.”

The inclusion of the heirs of William Wolston seems to indicate a close relationship to John Sapcote. If indeed a daughter of William Wolston was the mother of John Sapcote, it would explain why the property which passed through her to the Sapcotes was defaulted to the Wolston heirs before those of Richard Sapcote, father of John. I believe also that Guy Sapcote married Margaret Wolston, daughter of Sir Guy Wolston, which would explain his inclusion and position in the way the property defaults.

Any thoughts or insight into this would be very welcome.

Jordan Vandenberg.

mk

Mar 19, 2017, 9:38:03 AM3/19/17
to Jordan Vandenberg, GenMedieval
Guy (Guido) Sapcote married the daughter of Sir Guy (Guidonis) Wolston.
Could the arms be hers, or is the match too late?

mk

Mar 19, 2017, 9:41:19 AM3/19/17
to Jordan Vandenberg, GenMedieval
The visitation shows two different Richards marrying Vaux and Hungerford,
Is it certain they are the same person?

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM, mk <monica....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guy (Guido) Sapcote married the daughter of Sir Guy (Guidonis) Wolston.
> Could the arms be hers, or is the match too late?
>
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Jordan Vandenberg <

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 19, 2017, 10:57:07 AM3/19/17
The manor of Elton passed to Sir Richard Sapcote in 1451. A passage from the link about Elton parish from:
'Parishes: Elton', in A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 3, ed. William Page, Granville Proby and S Inskip Ladds (London, 1936), pp. 154-166. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/hunts/vol3/pp154-166 [accessed 19 March 2017].
reads:
"The Wolstons bore for their arms argent, three turnstiles (or reels) sable, (fn. 124) and these were the arms of Sir Richard's wife, although the heraldry does not represent her as an heiress."

I take this to me mean that Richard's wife was a daughter of William Wolston, but not an heiress. Sir Guy Wolston's father's name was I believe William Wolston, so there is a possibility that he could be her brother.

The other bit of support for this from my original post was from Feet of Fines: CP 25/1/294/79, number 46 found at:

http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_294_79.shtml#46

The portion portion of particular interest reads:
"And after that term the same manors, tenements and advowsons shall remain to the aforesaid John Sapcote and Elizabeth, his wife, and the heirs of the body of John, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of such heirs, successive remainders (1) to Guy Sapcote and the heirs of his body, (2) to Thomas Sapcote and the heirs of his body, (3) to Richard Sapcote, son of John Sapcote of Keton' in the county of Rutland, and the heirs of his body, (4) to the heirs of the body of William Woulston', late of Ayleton', esquire, and (5) to the right heirs of Richard Sapcote, knight, the father of the aforesaid John Sapcote, knight.”

This I think gives support to the 1st wife of Sir Richard Sapcote being a daughter of William Wolston and likely brother of Sir Guy Wolston.

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 19, 2017, 3:05:54 PM3/19/17
A couple of documents make the Sapcote family picture a little bit clearer.
The will of John Sapcote of Keton dated 05 Dec 1434 at Keton describes the following family make up in in it’s contents.

https://ia802606.us.archive.org/0/items/earlylincolnwil00gibbgoog/earlylincolnwil00gibbgoog.pdf

The John Sapcote of Keton entry is on pages 163-164 (pages 177-178 of the pdf)
John Sapcote of Keton was married to Johan(na)
-had a brother William
-had a sister Agnes (appears to have had a daughter Juliana, although Juliana could have been the daughter of an unmentioned daughter of John Sapcote)
Children:
1) John Sapcote
- who had a young son John Sapcote
- received Manor of Gunthorp, and lands in Exton and Martymesthorp
2) Richard Sapcote
- received lands in Stamford, North and South Luffenham, Keten and Lynne
3) Thomas Sapcote married to an Elizabeth
- who had a son John Sapcote

In A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2 the entry on Oakhem includes the following:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/rutland/vol2/pp5-27

“ In 1434 John Sapcote left it by will to feoffees, who were to grant it to his wife Joan for life with remainder to his son John in tail. The will was proved in the spring of 1434. The younger John had two sons living in 1434, (fn. 300) but in 1463 it was in the possession of Eleanor, widow of Sir William Sturmy, and Joan, wife of Richard Carlile, who granted it to Richard Sapcote of March (co. Camb.). (fn. 301) The latter died seised of Gunthorpe in 1498 and was succeeded by his cousin, Sir John Sapcote, son of Sir Richard Sapcote of Elton (co. Hunts) and brother of Sir Thomas Sapcote of Burley. (fn. 302) In 1527 his son, Sir Richard Sapcote of Elton, was lord of the manor, (fn. 303) and on his death in 1543 it passed to his son Robert of Elton, a minor. (fn. 304)”

Additonal details can be drawn from this, as well as the entry in A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 3 (linked below) on the parish of Elton (mentioned and linked in an earlier post) that add to those details revealed about the makeup of the family found in the will of John Sapcote of Keton.

The additional details present include the mention of a 2nd son of John Sapcote eldest son of John Sapcote of Keton who was living in 1434.

It also makes mention of Richard Sacpote of March co. Cambridge (likely the other son mentioned of John Sapcote who received the manor of Gunthorp in his father’s will) who was a cousin of Sir John Sapcote (husband of Elizabeth Dinham) son of Richard Sapcote of Elton (who was son of John Sapcote of Keton).

Also, it is stated that Sir John Sapcote (husband of Elizabeth Dinham) had a brother Sir Thomas Sapcote of Burley, and states that Sir Richard Sapcote of Elton (would have to the Richard who was husband of Anna Vaux). The Visitation of Huntingdon seems to have made a mess of the pedigree and has this Richard as two separate individuals rather than 1st marrying Anna Vaux and 2nd marrying Christian Hungerford (daughter of Sir John Hungerford). The last additional detail about the family in the passage is the mention of Robert Sapcote of Elton as the son of this Richard.

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 19, 2017, 10:37:21 PM3/19/17
IPM John Sapcote d.1501 (son of Richard Sapcote of Elton, and husband of Elizabeth Dinham)

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/series2-vol2/pp251-279

Maskelyne and H. C. Maxwell Lyte, 'Inquisitions Post Mortem, Henry VII, Entries 401-450', in Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem: Series 2, Volume 2, Henry VII (London, 1915), pp. 251-279. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/series2-vol2/pp251-279 [accessed 19 March 2017].

C. Series II. Vol. 15. (16.)

406. JOHN SAPCOT, knight

Writ 18 February, inquisition 20 June, 16 Henry VII.

By charter, 11 June, 15 Henry VII, he gave the under-mentioned manors, &c. inter alia to Richard, bishop of Durham, George, earl of Kent, John Dynham, lord Dynham, knight, Robert Willughby, lord de Broke, knight, Richard Gylford, Edward Ponynges, John Arundell, Thomas Grene and Thomas Cheyne, of Drayton, knights, Robert Barnard, clerk, master of Fodrynghey College, Thomas Sapcote, of Burley, Walter Whitley, of Tawstok, William Lane and Roger Garnet, of Haradon, co. Northampton, gentleman, their heirs and assigns, for the performance of his last will, whereby he directed that Elizabeth, his wife, should have yearly all the issues and profits of all manors, &c. in Alyngton, Copmanford and Upton, for her life, with remainder to Richard, son of the same John Sapcotes and Elizabeth; and that the said Richard Sapcotes should have the issues and profits of the tenements in Elyngton and Walton, as in the same will is more fully contained; and for the performance of other divers covenants indented between him and Nicholas Vause, knight, for the marriage of the said Richard Sapcotes and Alice, his wife, daughter of the same Nicholas, lately had; by virtue of which feoffment the same feoffees were, and still are, seised thereof in fee.
He died 5 January last. Richard Sapcotes, aged 18 and more, is his son and heir.

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 20, 2017, 12:05:57 AM3/20/17
In “The history of Ailington, Aylton, or Elton” by Rose Fuller Whistler, on page 72, they describe a memorial in St. George’s Church in Stamford that corresponds with the ones found in Elton manor (where the arms of Richard Sapcote impale those of the Wolston’s).

https://archive.org/stream/historyofailingt00whis#page/72/mode/2up/search/sapcote

The excerpt is below.

“There was formerly in the east window of St. George's Church, Stamford, the coat of arms of Sapcote impaling the three turnpikes,* similar to that still remaining at Elton, with the legend underneath:
"Orate pro a.i.bus Richardi Sapcote et Johannse uxoris ejus."
If, as is likely, this was the first Richard who was buried at Fotheringhay, this memorial in the Stamford window would in a measure correspond with that at Elton. Of this record, however, a few fragments only remain. Small pieces of glass, with mutilated portions of the dovecotes, are now inserted in the west window of the south aisle.”

Would anyone able be so kind as to properly translate the legend that is in latin?

"Orate pro a.i.bus Richardi Sapcote et Johannse uxoris ejus."

Google translate doesn’t pick up the a.i.bus part of the legend and translates the entire line as:

“Pray for a.i.bus Richard and Joan, the wife of Sapcote”

Is this accurate? Help with this translation would be greatly appreciated.

Vance Mead

Mar 20, 2017, 1:12:42 AM3/20/17
It's animabus - for the souls.

MILLARD, ANDREW R.

Mar 20, 2017, 5:37:59 AM3/20/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com

It means

Pray for the souls of Richard Sapcote and Joan his wife

Best wishes

Andrew
--
Andrew Millard - A.R.M...@durham.ac.uk
Chair, Trustees of Genuki: www.genuki.org.uk

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 20, 2017, 8:38:21 AM3/20/17
Thank you very much Vance and Andrew for the translation.

So it appears that Sir Richard Sapcote of Elton married 1st Joan Wolston and 2nd Isabel Plessington. It appears as though the children he had that I have come across would have been born of his 1st wife Joan and not his 2nd wife Isabel. Isabel Plessington's first husband John Francis (Frauncey) died in 1464 and she was married to Sir Richard Sapcote before 08 Nov 1465. This date is too late for the children to be attributed to her.

mk

Mar 20, 2017, 12:54:29 PM3/20/17
to Jordan Vandenberg, GenMedieval
Who was the John Francis who was father of Joan who married Thomas Sapcote
of Burley? Is he connected to the John Francis married to Isabel
Plessington?

Also, was the Richard who married Christiana Hungerford the grandson of
Richard and Alice Vaux as the pedigree shows? Or is there something off
there?

MK

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 20, 2017, 1:05:56 PM3/20/17
Hi MK,

John Francis or Frauncey as he also appears in records was the 1st husband of Isabel Plessington and the father of the younger Joan Plessington who married Thomas Sapcote of Burley.

John Francis (Frauncey) and Isabel Plessington had 3 daughters together. The eldest was name Joan who married William Nevill of Rolleston. The middle daughter was named Alice wife of William Staveley of Bygnall and the youngest was also named Joan and she is the one that married Thomas Sapcote of Burley. There was about 15 years age difference between the two Joan's.

As for the Richard's go, they are the same person. The visitation really messed up here. Alice Vaux was the first wife, and Christina Hungerford was the second wife.

Ken Rolston

Mar 20, 2017, 5:21:42 PM3/20/17
Here is some Linconshire data about Isabel Sapcote. My researches have concentrated on Lincs only, but I see that there was an IPM for Yorks (TNA: C 142/10/97) and an IPM for Rutland (TNA: C 142/11/33)

I thought that Isabel Sapcote daughter of John Pleasington was of Toynton St Peter near Spilsby, in the soke of Bolingbroke, but having seen the details of the wider family at Elton, I am now not so sure that she was resident at Toynton-SP. She was of the family that I mentioned in my previous post.
There were two Pleasingtons holding lands there, Henry and John. Henry Pleasington knight died 10 Sept 1452, seised in his demesne as of fee the manor of Toynton alias Bacon Hall and the advowson of one of the two medieties of the church in Nether Toynton. Bacon Hall was a moiety in Toynton St Peter and Nether Toynton was an alias for T-SP.
This was the only estate in Lincs listed in his IPM, held at Boston 26 Oct 1452 (TNA: C 139/148/3).
William Pleasington was his son and heir, aged 16 years and more.

William Pleasington’s IPM for Lincs was dated 5 Oct 1457 at Hekington (TNA: C 130/148/3). It states that he died 8 Sept 1547, being a minor and king’s ward. His manor in Toynton included lands in 10 other parishes, all held as appurtenances to Toynton. The file included IPM for counties Rutland and Yorkshire, but they have not been translated by us.
Isabel, wife of John Fraunceys esquire was William Pleasington’s kinswoman and next heir, being daughter of John Pleasington who was brother of Henry, the father of William. She was aged 30 years and more. From this we can calculate that Isabel was born before 1427.

The Pleasingtons had acquired the half fee of the Tointon family and held the advowson for the church in the north mediety of Toynton St Peter between 1420 and 1459.
Henry Pleasington presented to the church in Jan 1419/20 and Dec 1420,
John Frauncis and Isabell his wife presented in July 1459.
Richard Sapcotys knight presented in June 1474.
George Staveley esquire presented in June 1521. Possibly son of William Staveley and Alice Sapcote, Isabel’s daughter?

We know that Isabel married 1st John Frauncis probably before 1430 and had 3 daughters and heirs: Joan mar to William Neville of Rolleston, Notts, Alice mar to William Staveley of Bygnall, Joan mar to Thomas Sapcote of Burley. She married 2nd Richard Sapcote knight, apparently a widower and father of John Sapcote of Elton, born before this 2nd marriage, who mar Elizabeth Dynham.
We shoul;d keep in mind that Thomas Sapcote was of Burley, only due to his marriage to Joan, daughter of Isabel who had Burley after the death of John Frauncis, and Thomas had Burley in right of his wife Joan.

Joan wife of William Neville was previously married to William Palmer and had issue. The evidence is in Leics Rec.Off: DE220/92:
“Articles of Agreement: Dame Isabel Sapcote, widow, Robert Palmer, William Staveley, Thomas Sapcote, and Richard Flowre, esqs., of the one part, William Nevyle, Thomas Leyke and Thomas Nevyle, son and heir apparent of William, esq., on the other part: that a marriage shall take place before the feast of the Nativity of St John the Baptist between said William Nevyle and Jane Palmer, daughter of Dame Isabel; William Nevyle to settle on Jane an estate of yearly value of 20 marks for her life: Jane to receive all rents (etc.), from such manors, lands, and tenements of which she is seised to her own use, to such time as she shall have paid all her debts and those of her late husband, William Palmer, and have married her children by the said William Palmer”.

In her will dated 30 July 1493 (TNA: PROB 11/10/210), Isabel introduced herself as “I dame Isabell Sapcote late the wyfe of Syr Richard Sapcote knyght of Burley in the county of Rutland...”

Isabel’s Lincs IPM dated 10 Nov 1495 (CIPM series II, Vol 11, 123) says that she died 27 Oct 1494 seised of the manor of Nether Toynton (T-SP) with its appurtenances and advowson of the church there. Her 3 daughters were named as her heirs.

Jordan states that John Francis was of Burley in Rutland. If Burley was his manor, it passed to Isabel after his death. There is a document of 1500-1501 (Sapcote v Smyth, TNA: C 1/245/30) that is a plea to the Keeper of the Great Seal by Thomas Sapcote and Johan his wife, concerning equal division of woods in Burley between Isabel’s 3 heirs. Thomas and Joan (Johan) had received Burley as their one third share of Isabel’s inheritances. It states:
“Sir Richard Sapcote late of Burley in Rutland knight and dame Isabell his wife were seised of the manor of Burley in right of dame Isabell in their demesne as of fee and so seised, made an estate and enfeoffment of it to Sir Guy Woulston, Sir John Sapcote, knights and others”.

Here we have Sir Guy Woulston being involved as a trustee to the Sapcote estate of Burley. There is no other information about him in the document but it confirms that the Woulstons were indeed closely integrated with the Sapcotes of Elton.

I have to re-assess whether Pleasingtons and Sapcotes were actually resident at Toynton St Peter in Lincs as I thought. They had estates in other counties and it now looks more likely that Isabel may have derived from the Elton family.

Ken Rolston

Jordan Vandenberg

Mar 20, 2017, 6:34:05 PM3/20/17
Ken,

Thanks for the very detailed and informative post. As far as I can tell Isabel Sapcote, daughter of Thomas Sapcote and Joan Francis (Frauncey) was of the Elton branch. Thomas as you mentioned was the son of Sir Richard Sapcote (d.1477) who was 2nd married to Isabel Plessington. He seems to have been the founder of this Elton branch, as his father and eldest brother both named John Sapcote styled of Keton.

One thing that I am trying to find evidence (other than the visitation which is severely flawed as far as the Sapcote family goes) of where Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Linclon (father of Winifred Sapcote) links to the line. The visitation suggests that his father was a brother of Sir John Sapcote (husband of Elizabeth Dinham) and of Leicester, but his first name is not known in the visitation.

If his father is a brother of Sir John Sapcote as the visitation suggests, then his grandfather would be Sir Richard Sapcote of Elton (d.1477) likely by his first wife, who to me appears to be named Joan Wolston, based on the association of her name Joan as wife of Richard with the Richard Sapcote's arms impaling Wolston. The same impaled arms at Elton, which came to Richard Sapcote and was previously of William Wolston.

Jordan.

Robert O'Connor

Mar 21, 2017, 2:52:47 AM3/21/17
Isabel Sapcote's IPM dated 10 Nov 1497 states as follows:

“She died 27 Oct., 10 Henry VII, seised of the under-mentioned manor, advowson, & lands in fee tail. Joan Nevill [sic], aged 50 & more, wife of William Nevill [sic], late of Rolleston, co. Notts., esq., Alice Staveley, aged 40 & more, wife of William Staveley of Bygnell [sic], co. Oxford, esq., & Joan Sapcote, aged 35 & more, wife of Thomas Sapcote of Burley, co. Rutland, esq., are the daughters & heirs of the said Isabel, late the wife of Richard Sapcote, knt., & some time the wife of John Frauncez [sic], knt, & daughter of John Plesyngton [sic], who was cousin & heir of William Plesyngton [sic], son & heir of Henry Plesyngton [sic], Kt., brother of the said John Plesyngton [sic] her father.”

Her parentage, marriages and children are thus abundantly clear.

However, the origins of Isabel's 1st husband, Sir John Francis d 1464 have not been as easy to trace.

But, in the 25 Oct. 1489 IPM for Elizabeth Breknok [sic] it was recorded - "Joan Palmer, aged 30 & more, Alice Staveley, aged 28 & more & Joan Sapcote, aged 26 & more, are her cousins & heirs, viz. daughters of John Fraunceys, Knt, her brother".

In the SGM archives (post by Shane Hines of 23 Jan. 2003) it is noted as follows:

"I came across this website only a week ago,
http://www.pillagoda.freewire.co.uk/WYCH.htm, which includes as follows:-
"...There is a brass of John Brekenock and his wife Elizabeth, sister of Sir
John Francis (1488) at Wraysbury church. This shows a knight standing on a
greyhound under a canopy. Over his head are the arms of Brecknock "A
chevron between 3 bears gambs, impaling a chevron between 3 eagles
displayed". John Brecknock, Treasurer to King Henry VI & High Sheriff of
Buckingham (1440) died on 1.9.1475 and his 2nd wife, daughter of Robert
Francys of Co. Derby died in March 1488..."
John Brecknock's first wife was apparently named Letitia. Various sources
are cited, but not for this passage as far as I could see."

Thus, if Elizbeth Brecknock was the daughter of "Robert Francys of Co. Derby", then it follows that Sir John Francis (1st husband of Isabel Plessington, later Sapcote) was his son.

This "Robert Francys of Co. Derby" appears to have been a son of Sir Robert Francis of Foremark, Co. Derby (died after 1419).

Robert O'Connor

Jordan Vandenberg

Apr 29, 2017, 11:20:46 AM4/29/17
Good day,

I have come across evidence that reveals the link between Sir Richard Sapcote d.1477 and the Wolstons. The evidence is within two descriptions of chancery proceedings between Richard Sapcote and Lionel Louthe concerning money and lands. One of the descriptions identifies Lionel Louthe as the husband of Katherine Wolston and identifies her as the sister of the defendants wife. Richard Sapcote is the defendant. It appears as though Sir Richard Sapcote's first wife was Joan Wolston. Hopefully the identification of her sister Katherine can uncover more about her and her ancestry.

Reference: C 1/145/1
Short title: Louthe v Sapcote.
Plaintiffs: Lionel Louthe, gentleman.
Defendants: Richard Sapcote.
Subject: Money promised to complainant on his marriage with Katherine Wolston, sister of defendant's wife. Hunt, York

Reference: C 1/15/340
Short title: Louthe v Sapcote.
Plaintiffs: Lionell Louthe.
Defendants: Richard Sapcote.
Subject: Marriage contract concerning lands, etc in Sawtry. Hunts
Date: 1443-1450, possibly 1455-1456

Jordan Vandenberg

May 3, 2017, 9:15:10 PM5/3/17
Good day,

I located the images of the Chancery Proceedings mentioned in the above post.

C 1/145/1 (linked below) regarding money promised to complainant on his marriage with Katherine Wolston, reads on it's second line the following: "...Katryn Wolston sister to Johane wife to the said Richard Sapcote..."

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/ChP/C1no145/IMG_0002.JPG

The second image C 1/15/340 (linked below) regarding a marriage contract concerning lands, etc, is quite soiled and very difficult to make out, but I believe that I can make out on the 7th line from the bottom reference to "said Katryn _____________________ money of the ______ William Wolleston in the _____." It appears as though he is identified as her father here, but I cannot make out the script to confirm.
If this is the case it would confirm William Wolleston as the father of Joan Wolston wife of Sir Richard Sapcote.
I would be greatful if anyone can make out the missing script on the line.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/ChP/C1no15/IMG_0496.htm

Thanks,
Jordan Vandenberg.

Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

May 4, 2017, 5:19:24 AM5/4/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
May 4, 2017, 12:45:42 PM5/4/17
Matt,
Thank you so much for the transcription and for providing context to the earlier part of the document. Although it does not outright state that Katryn was a daughter of William Wolston, it certainly appears that way. This coupled with the fact that Sir Richard Sapcote assumed tenancy of Elton after William Wolston in 1451 seems to make a pretty strong case for him being the father of Joan and Katryn.

I came across a Feet of Fines entry that may include the same William Wolston and mentions a wife Katherine. The description is below.

CP 25/1/91/110, number 25.

Link: Image of document at AALT
County: Hertfordshire.
Place: Westminster.

Date: One week from St Michael, 5 Henry VI [6 October 1426].

Parties: Henry Lyndeby of Watford' in the county of Hertford and Margaret, his wife, querents, and William Wolston' of Wollaston' in the county of Northampton, gentleman, and Katherine, his wife, deforciants.
Property: 1 messuage, 3 tofts, 100 acres of land and 1 acre of meadow in Watford' and Busshe.

Action: Plea of covenant.

Agreement:
William and Katherine have acknowledged the tenements to be the right of Henry, as those which Henry and Margaret have of their gift, and have remised and quitclaimed them from themselves and the heirs of Katherine to Henry and Margaret and the heirs of Henry for ever.

For this:Henry and Margaret have given them 20 marks of silver.

Persons:Henry Lindby, Margaret Lindby, William Wolston, Katherine Wolston
Places: Watford, Wollaston (in Northamptonshire), Bushey

Does anyone know anything about the William Wolston mentioned here?

I haven't had a chance yet to look over the image to see if there is something in there that identifies him as the same William Wolston that appears to be the father of Joan and Katherine Wolston.

Thanks,
Jordan.

joe...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 6:02:35 PM5/4/17
The detangling of two Smith families, one of which ancestral to a American gateway immigrant is delightful. I think the methods used and the solution may be of sufficient interest to, with some more details, be nice to see published.

That aside, I have a question on the Wolstons. How do you know this is the Same William references below and not a relative?

Joe c

Jordan Vandenberg

May 4, 2017, 7:48:27 PM5/4/17
Joe,

Thanks Joe for the kind words about the research.

I am not sure at this point if the William Wolston in the Feet of Fines is the same William Wolston as the one who is the father of Joan and Katherine (Katryn). I posted it to see if there was anything that anyone knew about this particular William Wolston. I am curious about it for a few reasons. Them being the time period seems to fit that of William Wolston the father of Joan and Katharine, the name of his spouse (even though Katherine is an extremely common name), his being from Wollaston, Northamptonshire, and I located a pedigree that I believe has this particular William Wolston on it and identifies him as "Held the Manor Hall Fees 1429-1447," which was a manor connected with Elton which he is associated with and the exact same period he held it for.

There do appear to be a couple of issues with the pedigree from what I can tell. This William Wolston is identified as having two wives. The first being Joan Wollaston who it says he married in 1399 and the second being Katherine _________. One thing that jumped out to me right away was that the wives names were the same as his daughters. But a problem with this is that the first marriage to Joan seems much to early. I think that the author of the pedigree has lumped two consecuative William Wolston's into one. Part of what makes me think this is also the fact that it identifies four children for this William Wolston, none of which are Joan or Katherine, which leads me to believe that they are possibly of the first William Wolston and Joan and Katherine of the second one who would be married to Katherine. It fits better chronologically. In addition one of the children was named William. At this point it is far from concrete, so I was seeing if anyone knew anything about the William Wolston married to Katherine in the Feet of Fines in hope of trying to ascertain more concretely that the William Wolston in the pedigree was one in the same as the one identified as the father of Joan and Katherine, and whether there could have been two separate William Wolston's rather than one as the pedigree suggests.

The pedigree is found in the publication: From Now to Domesday with the Wollastons by Donovan H. Wollaston, and is linked below.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ivorjackson/donovan/011-northants.html

Any thoughts in regards to this woudl be most welcome.

Jordan Vandenberg.