Peter Stewart, Bas Aarts

Hans Vogels

Mar 19, 2023, 4:33:37 AM3/19/23
Hello Andrew,

There are moments that his old I know it all kicks in. His patronising is quite annoying.

What did Bas write on the subject?

Groeten,
Hans

Hans Vogels

Mar 19, 2023, 5:17:27 AM3/19/23
Op zondag 19 maart 2023 om 09:33:37 UTC+1 schreef Hans Vogels:
I appologise for sending this private message on this newsgroup.
It should have been sent through gmail.

Hans Vogels

Peter Stewart

Mar 19, 2023, 6:03:55 PM3/19/23
Perhaps you could send a private message to the person you recently put
in touch with "his old know it all" asking for a "quite annoying"
favour, which was done by me at considerable trouble but not even
acknowledged by the recipient after three weeks.

Manners are evidently not the strong point in certain Dutch quarters.

How it may be "patronising" to express opinions directly relevant to the
topic in a public newsgroup while not insultingly talking down - as for
instance by supposing someone might not even basically understand the
context of a document under discussion - is beyond my "know it all" ken.

Peter Stewart

www.avg.com

Hans Vogels

Mar 20, 2023, 3:06:07 AM3/20/23

My dear Peter,

You are mixing different items.

> Perhaps you could send a private message to the person you recently put
> in touch with "his old know it all" asking for a "quite annoying"
> favour, which was done by me at considerable trouble but not even
> acknowledged by the recipient after three weeks.

I indeed did. I never heard if my enqueries in getting in touch were succesful.

> Manners are evidently not the strong point in certain Dutch quarters.

Here you are generalizing. The person in question was not Dutch. It's like throwing a Aussie and a Kiwi on one heap.
Speaking of manners. I invited the heavily critised author of the paper you were/are discussing to participate in the discussion.
But he was put off by the uncivilised tone in which his work and ideas were being dissected.
And I can not blame him for that.

> How it may be "patronising" to express opinions directly relevant to the
> topic in a public newsgroup while not insultingly talking down - as for
> instance by supposing someone might not even basically understand the
> context of a document under discussion - is beyond my "know it all" ken.

I apologised to the newsgroup for placing a private message not meant for everyone to see. I was dead certain under the impressing that I was typing somewere else. Accidents can happen. It happens to you so why not to me. As for the wording I still stand. I am not going to retreat them. It is my opinion. You are a grumpy person. But then again we all liked Statler and Waldorf in the Muppet Show.

With regards,
Hans Vogels