Is SENESCHAL a name?

Louise Staley

Mar 17, 2001, 3:18:43 AM3/17/01
In Plantagenet Ancestry by David Faris 2nd ed, p74 number 8, there is a Margaret Seneschal who married Richard Cergeaux. Margaret was the daughter and heiress of John Seneschal. John Seneschal, Knt. was of Predarwolas, Cornwall.

In looking for this person I have also come across an Elizabeth Seneschal who married Ralph Arundel. Elizabeth is also given as a daughter of John Seneschal although I have no sources for this.

My question relates to John Seneschal. Dr Faris quotes C.P. 1:244 footnote (b) and C.P. 10:236 footnote (a) and Roskell (1992) 2:506-507 neither of which I have access to so I can't provide C.P's sources. Is it possible that John was a seneschal rather than his surname being Seneschal? He lived in the late 13th and early 14th centuries and seneschal as an occupation or title was still in use in that period.

any help gratefully appreciated,
Louise

Chris Phillips

Mar 18, 2001, 5:02:54 AM3/18/01
Louise Staley wrote:
> In Plantagenet Ancestry by David Faris 2nd ed, p74 number 8, there is a
Margaret Seneschal who married Richard Cergeaux. Margaret was the daughter
and heiress of John Seneschal. John Seneschal, Knt. was of Predarwolas,
Cornwall.

> In looking for this person I have also come across an Elizabeth Seneschal
who married Ralph Arundel. Elizabeth is also given as a daughter of John
Seneschal although I have no sources for this.

> My question relates to John Seneschal. Dr Faris quotes C.P. 1:244 footnote
(b) and C.P. 10:236 footnote (a) and Roskell (1992) 2:506-507 neither of
which I have access to so I can't provide C.P's sources.

I can't see any reference to "Seneschal" in either of the CP footnotes.

Vol.1, p.244, note (b) gives the children of Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of
Arundel (d.1375/6), and says the second was [but see below!] "Philippe, who
m. Sir Richard Sergeaux (d. 30 Sep. 1393), whose da. Alice m., 1stly, Guy
St. Aubyn, and 2ndly, about 1405, Richard (de Vere), Earl of Oxford, who d.
1417."

Vol.10, p.236, note (a) relates to the marriage of Richard de Vere to this
Alice, which is dated to 1406 or 1407 [with supporting evidence]. In the
text, Alice is called the sister and coheir of Richard Sergeaux, and 3rd da.
of Sir Richard Sergeaux, by Philippe, da. and coh. of Sir _Edmund_ de
Arundel. The footnote cites the following authorities:
"Ch. Inq. p.m. 17 Ric. II, no 53; 21 Ric II, no 50; 1 Hen IV, nos 14, 77;
Cal. Close Rolls, 1396-99, pp.72, 84; Cat. Anc. Deeds, C 2372; Maclean,
History of Trigg Minor, vol.ii, pp.477, 503-4, 507. For other works giving
information about the family of Sergeaux, see N and Q, vol.cxlviii, p.302.
Sir Edmund de Arundel was eldest (bastardised) so of Richard, XIVth Earl of
Arundel", and the note refers to vol.1 (above), which was in error, as was
Maclean.

Chris Phillips

Colin Bevan

Mar 18, 2001, 6:43:06 AM3/18/01
Seneschal was definitely used as a surname

There is an IPM for John Seneschal 2 Edw II (1308) with lands in Cornwall -
Brennanek hamlet' extent'
Helleston maner'
Rosneithen hamlet'
Poldun hamlet'
Penhal nundine
Trewithgy maner' sect' cur

Predarwolas looks rather strange and I haven't found a reference to it in
the IPM index. I am wondering whether it is a transcription mistake. The
nearest I can get is Treleghwoles in Cornwall which was held in chief by
Henry Beauchamp, Duke of Warwick 24 Hen VI (1446).

Cheers

Rosie

Ivor West

Mar 19, 2001, 1:45:41 PM3/19/01

Mar 19, 2001, 1:52:06 PM3/19/01
Le Seneschal was the family name. John's father was also John le
Seneschal and the name is probably a metonym derived from an ancestral
seneschal.

John le Seneschal, 1278 - 1321, of Predannack Wollas in Mullion,
Cornwall, married Joan de Kernick, d1320, and had three coheirs,
Margaret, Elizabeth and Joan, (vid. Bish.Stapledon's Reg.,4, for a
dispute in 1324 regarding their wardship: "Johanna, que fuit uxor
Johannis le Seneschal [defuncti] summonita fuit ad respondendum
Waltero, Episcopo Exoniensis, de Placito quod reddat ei Margaretam,
Elizabetham et Johannam, filias et heredes Johannis le Seneschal...").

In the wardship dispute, her mother claimed that Margaret had married
during the lifetime of her father, John le Seneschal ("Et quoad
predictam Margaretam, filiam et unam heredum predicti Johannis, [Joan]
dicit quod ipsa Margareta non est in Custodia sua, eo quod ipsa
maritata fuit vivente predicto Johanne, patre suo..."). As such a
claim had to be made, it perhaps suggests a young marriage. MacLean
has Margaret's first marriage (c1312?) to James Peverell, who died in
1313, and her second (c1315/ 1320?) to Richard Sergeaux (Cergeaux,
Cirieaux). Elizabeth (if she is the same as the sister) m Ralph
Arundel of Caerhayes, Cornwall (Vivian: Arundel of Trerice), Joan [of
Trenethick in Hendron, m Hill?], (Lysons' Mag. Brit, III, cl).

John was the son of John le Seneschal, (1250) - 1308, (IPM 2Edw.II,
no.112). There was also an earlier John (born c1200? in service to
Emma de Cardinham in 1234, CFF ) and a Richard le Seneschal.

Joan, John's widow in the wardship dispute, was Joan de Kernick,
daughter of Oger de Kernick, d1292, of Treneage in Brannel, Cornwall,
and his wife, Constance de Bloigho, who was the daughter of Alan de
Bloigho and Matilda de Hewis. (It has been said that Bloigho was the
Cornishman's phonetic attempt at Blois. It probably sounded something
like Blue You or Blow You.)

A Richard le Seneschal ( brother of John born 1278 ?), rector of
Whitstone in 1310, was presented by Oliver de Carmino. An Alice le
Seneschal was married to John Petit (b1335?). Vivian has this last
under Tresahar. Both he and Boase have Michael le Seneschal as a son
of Margaret.

Ivor West

Louise Staley wrote...

Colin Bevan

Mar 19, 2001, 2:16:44 PM3/19/01
Thanks, Ivor, for that very informative and interesting post.

Cheers

Rosie

I have a query about the death datesof John Seneschal and Joan de Kenick. In your earlier post you suggested that John died in 1308 leading to the wardship dispute

"Trewithgy was Trenoweth-with-Trewithgy in Probus, the seat of John le
Seneschal's feudal superior, Stephen de Bello Prato. Stephen also died
in 1308 and Stephen's widow, Isabella, was a party in the wardship
dispute of John le Seneschal's three daughters. Isabella claimed the
wardship by virtue of John having held various lands of Stephen by
military service."

In the post below John dies in 1321 and Joan in 1320 however Joan was then quoted as being involved in the wardship dispute in 1324. Both the John dying 1308 and the one dying 1321 had three daughters. Have I completely confused the generations?

Louise

Ivor West

Mar 21, 2001, 1:21:01 PM3/21/01
Mar 22, 2001, 7:58:35 AM3/22/01
Thank-you again Ivor, especially as this query is not one of your
research interests.

And thank-you for the Blois > Bloigho derivation. In my inexperience
I would have gone on a wild goose chase through the soc.gen.med
archives looking for possible links to Stephen, King of England. : )

Louise

"Ivor West" <i...@freeuk.com> wrote in message news:00cd01c0b234$9b8c98a0$bb917ed4@default...

<snip>