Family of Nicholas Carew (c1356-1432), of Beddington, co. Surrey

RBodine996

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
Recently Hap Sutliff asked about the relationships of several members within
the Carew family. We communicated privately and I assembled the following
family outline which might be of help to others who descend from this family.

NICHOLAS CAREW II, of Beddington, co. Surrey. Born c1356; died 4 Sep 1432 and
was buried at Beddington next to his 1st wife. His will of 28 Aug 1432, and
contains bequests to his son Nicholas, Mary and Johanne, daughters of his son
Thomas, daughters Isabel and daughter Elizabeth Bukton, with residue to his
wife Mary (sic = Mercy), who was one of the executors (PCC 16 Luffenham,
transcribed in Testamenta Vetusta, p. 260-3 ). Son of Nicholas Carew I (died
1390), by his wife Lucy, daughter of Sir Richard Willoughby, of Beddington, co.
Surrey. Sheriff of Surrey and Sussex, 1391-1392 and 1400-1401; M.P. for Surrey
and Sussex, 1394, 1395, 1397, and 1417.
Married 1) by May 1374, Isabel, daughter of Alice de la Mare, of Delamers,
Hertfordshire, when the Berkshire landowner, Sir Thomas de la Mare, settled his
manor of Aldermaston upon various members of the Carew family for life. Isabel
was quite probably related to Sir Thomas; and it was certainly through her that
Carew established a connection with John Ludwick who became her stepfather
about 1387, holding the manor of Delamers in the right of his wife until his
death in 1411, followed soon after that year by Alice. Delamers Manor then
passed to her grandson, Nicholas Carew II. Isabel was buried in Beddington
Church where she appears in an effigy with her husband.
Married 2) probably by July 1398, Mercy, daughter of Stephen Hayme, of
Winchester, by his wife Christine. In 1398, Sulham Manor, Berkshire was
conveyed by Walter Haywode to Stephen Hayme and Nicholas Carew, probably on
account Carew's marriage to Hayme's daughter. Mercy married 2ndly, Arthur
Ormesby of London, with whom, in 1454, she was a party to the settlement of
Great Purley Manor, Berkshire by Nicholas Carew III on himself and his own son,
Nicholas IV. In 1461, she sued Nicholas Carew IV, apparently on the plea that
he had given her insufficient dower. This marriage brought Carew the manors of
Hyde and Sulham in Berkshire. In July 1440, Mercy, late wife of Nicholas
Carew, esq., demised to Sir Roger Fenys, Nicholas Carew, esq., and others her
life interest in Bandon and Nutfield, co. Surrey (Calendar of Ancient Deeds, 4:
460). The Carew monumental brass records she bore her husband 8 sons and 8
daughters of whom only 2 children survived their childhood.

Issue by ISABEL de la MARE.

1. NICHOLAS CAREW III, of Beddington, Nutfield and Carshalton, co. Surrey and
Delamers, Hertfordshire. Born 1395?; died 20 Apr 1458, leaving a will of 14
Nov 1456, proved 10 May 1458, in which he directed his burial at Beddington and
names the 5 children below (PCC 12 Stockton). History of Parliament, 1439-1509
(1: 155) notes he proved his age 4 Henry VI [1426], establishing 1405 as a
birthdate, but this is not possible. Likely the note should read 4 Henry V
[1416]. M.P. for co. Surrey, 1439-1440; Sheriff for Surrey and Sussex, 1440-1,
1444-5, and 1448-9. In 1440, he quitclaimed to "Mercy, who was his father's
wife" his 1/3 part of the manor of Woodmansterne, who held 2/3 of the manor for
her life. In 1454, he settled Great Purley Manor, Berkshire on himself with
reversion to his son Nicholas IV and his wife Margaret.
Married Margaret Fiennes (d. 1503), who married 2ndly, c1459, John Carent,
M.P. for Dorset, 1453.

a. NICHOLAS CAREW IV, of Beddington, Nutfield and Carshalton, co. Surrey,
Sulham, Berkshire, and Delamers, Hertfordshire. Born 1436 (being aged 22 at
the death of his father); died 1466. Son and heir. King's Serjeant, was made
constable of Southampton in 1457. He was sued in 1461, by Mercy, 2nd wife of
his grandfather.
Married Margaret, daughter of Edward Langford.

(1). NICHOLAS CAREW V. Born 1462 (being aged 4 at the death of his
father), came of age in Sep 1484, but died childless about 1485, leaving as his
heirs his three sisters.

(2). SANCHIA CAREW. Married, as his 2nd of 3 wives, Sir John
Iwardby (d. 1525), on whom Carshalton Manor, co. Surrey was settled in 1514.
Great Purley, Berkshire was her share of the estate of her brother.

(3). ELIZABETH CAREW. Married Walter Twynho.

(4). ANNE CAREW. Married Christopher Tropnell. Sulham Manor,
Berkshire was her share of her brother's estate.

b. Sir JAMES CAREW, of Beddington, co. Surrey and Delamers,
Hertfordshire. Died 1492. Heir of his nephew. Married Eleanor Hoo.

c. ROSE CAREW.

d. MARGARET CAREW.

e. GINELINE CAREW.

2. THOMAS CAREW. Predeceased his father, dying in October 1430. He is named
as a son of Isabel on the monumental brass of his parents in Beddington Church.
Another brass in Beddington Church is attributed to him and includes his
sister, Isabel.
Married Agnes, daughter of Thomas Hayton, of Batilles and Westburgh, co.
Surrey. At his death in 1432, Agnes was married to her 2nd husband, John Exham
or Hexham, and by 1450 was married to her 3rd husband, Thomas Sayer, with whom
she conveyed Westburgh to her daughters Mercy and Joan and their husbands,
Richard Ford and William Saunders.

a. JOAN CAREW. Born in or before 1417 (being under age 15 at the time of
her grandfather's will); died 1470. Joan was named as the heir of her
grandfather in his will to his manor of Warlingham, co. Surrey, later called
Carews. In default of Joan's issue the manor was then to descend to her sister
Mercy, with contingent remainders to Nicholas and Isabel, son and daughter of
the testator. Joan married William Saunders, together with whom she brought a
suit against William Selman and William Bradford, trustees appointed by her
grandfather, to oblige them to surrender the estate to her, she being more than
15 years old, the age to which she was entitled to the estate. She deposed
that in spite of this fact and of the will of her grandfather, produced by her
grandmother Mercy, the trustees refused to give it up. The lands were
surrendered to her in 1451. Warlington (Carew) Manor descended to her
descendants.

b. MERCY CAREW. Under age 15 at the time of her grandfather's will.
Contingent heir of her sister. Married Richard Ford.

c. ISABEL CAREW. She had apparently predeceased her grandfather as she
was not included in his will as a contingent heir.

3. ISABEL CAREW. Died 1434. She appears on the monumental brass of her
brother Thomas as Isabel Bukton. Her father bequeathed to her his lands in
Wantynge, Berkshire.
Married 1) Brian Harsick, 2) Robert Bukton.

a. ANN. Named in her grandfather's will.

Issue by MERCY HAYME.

4. ELIZABETH CAREW. Born in or shortly after 1398; died 25 Sep 1410 and was
buried in Beddington Church. Her now lost monumental brass referred to her as
'Elizabetha filia Nicholai et Mariae' the latter name which should read
'Merciae' and wife of 'Thomae Lewknore.' Sir Thomas Lewkenor was one of the
supervisors of the will of her father. Based upon her likely birthdate she was
clearly a childbride and no issue was likely.

5. PHILIPE CAREW. Died 1414 and was buried in Beddington Church. Her
monumental brass there calls her the daughter of Nicholas and Mercy Carreu and
includes the names of 7 brothers and 6 sisters who had predeceased her.

6-12. GUY, JOHN, JOHN, JOHN, JOHN, WILLIAM and WILLIAM CAREW.

13-18. ELEANOR, LUCY, AGNES, AGNES, MARGARET and ANNE CAREW.

REFERENCES
Roskell, J.S., Linda Clark and Carole Rawcliffe. The History of Parliament:
The House of Commons 1386-1421. 4 vols. Stroud: Alan Sutton Publishing,
1992.

Wedgwood, Josiah C. History of Parliament: Biographies of the Members of the
House of Commons, 1439-1509. 3 vols. London: H.M. Stationary Office, 1936.

Stephenson, Mill. A List of Monumental Brasses in the British Isles. London,
1926.

Surrey Archaeological Collection, 1956, article "The Manor of Batailles and the
Family of Saunder in Ewell During the 16th and 17th Centuries," by Michael L.
Walker, p. 76-100.

VCH, Berkshire, iii, 419 (Manor of Great Purley)
VCH, Berkshire, iii, 429 (Manor of Sulham)
VCH, Hertfordshire, ii, 298-9 (Manor of Delamers)
VCH, Surrey, iii, 170 (Manor of Beddington)
VCH, Surrey, iii, 223-4 (Manor of Nutfield)
VCH, Surrey, iii, 256 (Manor of Westburgh)
VCH, Surrey, iv, 182 (Manor of Carshalton)
VCH, Surrey, iv, 248 (Manor of Woodmansterne)
VCH, Surrey, iv, 335-336 (Manor of Carews)

Ronny Bodine

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
In message <19991206083455...@ng-fg1.aol.com>
rbodi...@aol.com (RBodine996) wrote:

> Recently Hap Sutliff asked about the relationships of several members within
> the Carew family. We communicated privately and I assembled the following
> family outline which might be of help to others who descend from this family.
>

> NICHOLAS CAREW II, of Beddington, co. Surrey. Born c1356; died 4 Sep 1432 and
> was buried at Beddington next to his 1st wife.

<snip>

> Married 2) probably by July 1398, Mercy, daughter of Stephen Hayme, of
> Winchester, by his wife Christine. In 1398, Sulham Manor, Berkshire was
> conveyed by Walter Haywode to Stephen Hayme and Nicholas Carew, probably on
> account Carew's marriage to Hayme's daughter. Mercy married 2ndly, Arthur
> Ormesby of London, with whom, in 1454, she was a party to the settlement of
> Great Purley Manor, Berkshire by Nicholas Carew III on himself and his
> own son, Nicholas IV. In 1461, she sued Nicholas Carew IV, apparently
> on the plea that he had given her insufficient dower. This marriage
> brought Carew the manors of Hyde and Sulham in Berkshire. In July 1440,
> Mercy, late wife of Nicholas Carew, esq., demised to Sir Roger Fenys,
> Nicholas Carew, esq., and others her life interest in Bandon and
> Nutfield, co. Surrey (Calendar of Ancient Deeds, 4: 460). The Carew
> monumental brass records she bore her husband 8 sons and 8 daughters of
> whom only 2 children survived their childhood.

I'm sure everyone will be delighted to know that in 1606 or perhaps
slightly earlier Sulham Manor was owned by one Richard Lybbe (Oxford
Record Office cartulary, ref E1/1/1D/6). Heaven knows how he got hold
of it. He passed it on to his eldest, base son.

<another snip>

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe t...@southfrm.demon.co.uk
For a patchwork of bygones: www.southfrm.demon.co.uk

Douglas Richardson

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Hi Ronny:

Thank you for your good post regarding the Carew family of Beddington,
Surrey. The Visitation of Sussex states that Roger Lewknor (died
1400) of Horsted Keynes, Sussex, married Elizabeth Carew, by whom he
had a son and heir, Thomas, born about 1392 (aged 19 in 1411).
Elizabeth's father is not named in the visitation but presumably it was
Nicholas Carew (died 1432) of Beddington, Surrey who named her son,
Thomas, as overseer of his will. Also, Nicholas Carew had the
management of the Tregoz estates whose chief heir was Thomas Carew. I
assume Thomas Carew grew up in his grandfather's home as both of his
parents were dead by the time he was 18.

Elizabeth evidently is the person buried at Beddington in 1410, whose
brass calls her the "wife" of Thomas Lewknor. I believe that is a
mistake. I suspect the original brass called her the "mother" of
Thomas and that it was defaced before people got around to transcribing
it. Thomas' known marriages are as follows: c. 1418, to Philippe
Dallyngridge, widow of Richard Berners, and c. 1421 to Elizabeth
Echingham, widow of Thomas Hoo, Knt. These marriages are well
documented.

All the same, I'd appreciate any comments on this matter. Best always,
Douglas Richardson

Barrie J Wright

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Hi Douglas and Ronny,

As I entered the Lewknor c1421 marriage for Elizabeth Echingham
I noticed that I have her married to a Thomas Hoo, Kt. b1400
d.13 Feb 1454/55 who 'fought at Agincourt'. 1st Baron Hoo.

So how is she his widow in 1421?
I assume I have the wrong data.
Who was this Hoo married to, too?
And do you have the Nicholas Carew [d 1432] back to others?

Regards,
Barrie Wright in Adelaide

> ______________________________

RBodine996

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Hello again Doug,

You have the advantage on me with regard to the Lewkenor (Lewknor) family of
whom I know little, but will check out the Sussex Visitation on my next trip to
the library.

However, the chronology as set forth in your posting does not fit. The
monumental inscription for Elizabeth Lewkenor is now lost, but the inscription
is noted in A List of Monumental Brasses in Surrey, by J. M. Blatchly, 1921, p.
40, which notes the inscription can be found in Lansdowne MS. 874, fol. 30, and
reads:

"Hic iacet Elizabetha filia Nicholas et Mariae uxoris eius quondam uxor Thomae
Lewknore quae obiit 25 die Septemb' in festo Sci Firmini Ao Dni 1410."

The compiler inserts a footnote that applies to the name Mariae and comments it
is an error for Merciae.

Since Elizabeth was the child of Nicholas Carew's second wife, Mercy Hayme, and
he did not marry her until about July 1398, she could not be the wife of Roger
Lewknor who died in 1400 and the mother of Thomas Lewknor who was born c1392
and whom you state to possibly be the grandson of Nicholas Carew.

The monumental inscription is not noted as having been defaced or illegible
prior to being transcribed in comparison with others where the missing
inscriptions are so noted, such as with that of Nicholas's son Thomas.

The inscription clearly states Elizabeth was the wife (uxor) of Thomas Lewknore
and not his mother (mater). With Elizabeth being born in say 1398 or 1399, she
could not have been the mother of a child prior to her death in 1410, or
possibly just so, if she was very very mature for her age and her death may
have been precipitated by childbirth. But that's stretching it.

Ronny Bodine

Sutliff

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Barrie J Wright wrote:

> Hi Douglas and Ronny,
>
> As I entered the Lewknor c1421 marriage for Elizabeth Echingham
> I noticed that I have her married to a Thomas Hoo, Kt. b1400
> d.13 Feb 1454/55 who 'fought at Agincourt'. 1st Baron Hoo.
>
> So how is she his widow in 1421?
> I assume I have the wrong data.
> Who was this Hoo married to, too?
> And do you have the Nicholas Carew [d 1432] back to others?
>
> Regards,
> Barrie Wright in Adelaide

This may probably has been addressed in CP XIV, but FWIW CP VI:564 calls the
first wife of Thomas Hoo who d. 13 Feb 1454/5, Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas
Wychingham, of Wychingham, Norfolk rather than Elizabeth Echingham. However CP
VI:565 shows that Eleanor, daughter of said Thomas, married firstly Thomas
Echingham who d.s.p. So it is no wonder there is confusion. You are not alone!

Henry Sutliff

Adrian Channing

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Hi Douglas, Ronny, Barrie and Henry:

"The Sussex Archaeological Collections Vol III p 92 has the parents of Sir
Thomas Leknor (who m Philippa Dalyngrudge) as Sir Roger Leknor (Knight of
the Shire 4th Hen IV (1404), ob 10 Edw IV., Inq p m 13 Edw IV) by Elizabeth
_da of Sir John Carew, of Fulford_.

This work is based partly on the visitation of 1634 as reproduced in Harl.
MS., No 1562, and adds that the Visitation in Harl. MS No 1406 is a hasty
and bad copy of that visitation.

If correct this must then be a different Elizabeth Carew to that in Ronny's
message

Henry Sutliff wrote,

This may probably has been addressed in CP XIV, but FWIW CP VI:564 calls
the
first wife of Thomas Hoo who d. 13 Feb 1454/5, Elizabeth, daughter of
Nicholas
Wychingham, of Wychingham, Norfolk rather than Elizabeth Echingham. However
CP
VI:565 shows that Eleanor, daughter of said Thomas, married firstly Thomas
Echingham who d.s.p. So it is no wonder there is confusion. You are not
alone!

There are no corrections to Hoo in Vol XIV

BTW:-
From a secondary source (guide to Bodiam Castle) only gives the one wife of
Sir Thomas Lewknor but gives his son Sir Roger Lewknor of Dedisham (-1478)
by Philippa Dalyngrigge as m1 Eleanor dau of Lord Camoys and m2 Isabel dau
of Roger _Etchingham_. CP Vol II p 508 note h) confirms part of this,
that Eleanor sister and co-heir of Hugh de Camoys 2nd Lord C m Roger
Lewknor - She was aged over 18 at ipm 5 Hen VI of Hugh.

regards, Adrian

Adrian (Surrey, UK) ACha...@CompuServe.Com